or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Removing Commercials with DVRs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Removing Commercials with DVRs

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
Try this one Removing Commercials how will this change DVR's
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Removing_Commercials

No the Networks will put code in the transmission to block this and what will it do to DVR's.
post #2 of 8
This belongs in the HTPC forum. No DVR is capable of automatic commercial skipping, and the article you want is probably this one:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Commercial_detection

which indicates that MythTV does not have a sophisticated and surefire way of detecting commercials. Such detection methods can fail and cause you to miss some of your recording, which leads people to skip commercials manually, even when automatic skipping is available. Since DVRs don't even offer automatic skipping based on file analysis, networks can't "block" them from using a capability they don't even have. AFAIK the Dish "AutoHop" feature is supplied by having employees of Dish actually watch the shows in question to mark where the commercials are, which is quite a different feature from trying to detect commercial locations in a file automatically.
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

No DVR is capable of automatic commercial skipping, and the article you want is probably this one:

 

How about the Dish Hopper?

post #4 of 8
Thread Starter 
I am looking how it will effect DVR's that do not skip. I have read some place they are using the CC to skip some commerials (no CC skip). The other is to take over your VRC and stop you from FF the commerials. http://arstechnica.com/uncategorized/2006/07/7218-2/

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/17/business/media/dish-networks-hopper-cuts-ads-and-causes-tremors-at-tv-upfronts.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/485107-Ad_Hopper_Dispute_Heads_for_Court.php

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20060707/1218217.shtml

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

This belongs in the HTPC forum. No DVR is capable of automatic commercial skipping, and the article you want is probably this one:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Commercial_detection

which indicates that MythTV does not have a sophisticated and surefire way of detecting commercials. Such detection methods can fail and cause you to miss some of your recording, which leads people to skip commercials manually, even when automatic skipping is available. Since DVRs don't even offer automatic skipping based on file analysis, networks can't "block" them from using a capability they don't even have. AFAIK the Dish "AutoHop" feature is supplied by having employees of Dish actually watch the shows in question to mark where the commercials are, which is quite a different feature from trying to detect commercial locations in a file automatically.
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

How about the Dish Hopper?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

AFAIK the Dish "AutoHop" feature is supplied by having employees of Dish actually watch the shows in question to mark where the commercials are, which is quite a different feature from trying to detect commercial locations in a file automatically.

Am I wrong on this? It is my understanding that this "manual" method of commercial detection is why AutoHop never makes mistakes and doesn't accidentally skip over program content.
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

It is my understanding that this "manual" method of commercial detection is why AutoHop never makes mistakes and doesn't accidentally skip over program content.

 

Auto Hop uses patented technology, works with most shows recorded using Primetime Anytime (patent pending). A viewer can watch a show with the Auto Hop option commercial free starting at 1 a.m. ET, after a show has been recorded to the Hopper’s Primetime Anytime library.  

 

Perhaps it's manual for them (Dish - never read up on the process). But after 1am it would be automatic for me. :) Does the patented technology process/filter your copy much like the WMC app... flagging time periods to skip.

post #7 of 8
I have not seen any automatic skipping of commercials in DVRs. I have seen different methods of skipping commercials in different DVR’s.

IMHO

The best by far was the Sony DHG-HDD250/500. With that system it was very easy to skip commercials at very high speed, and resume the program again at the correct location about 99% the time. The 1% you may have been off was easy to get on target within one or two seconds. There were three significant features the Sony had, that other DVRs still do not have to this date. 1 – Very “fine” time slicing while running at high speed (FF), you could always tell (actually see) where you were at FF – not the “chucky” and “jumping” time slicing that is hard to see on other DVR’s. 2 – Four FF speeds that were “user” definable; you defined the FF speed(s). And 3. The most important – User definable “Smart Que Adjust” defined by the user. These means the DVR is “matched” to you! And how the DVR resumes playback after you have skipped (passed) the commercials. Those three features made it fast and easy to skip commercials and resume the program at the correct place 99% of the time.

The TiVo Premier has three fixed FF speeds and three different fixed “ques” to resume play. It is OK and with a really good remote control I can hit the correct place to start about 70% of the time. It is because of those “fixed ques” (not user definable), and the “chunky” FF I can only get about 70% accuracy with it. That one feature alone for me, feels like going from 2005 back to 1975 – but that is how the world turns.

I have tried the latest DVRs from TimeWarner, Comcast, ATT U-Verse, older Dish models, older DirectTV models and for me the accuracy was far less than 50%. Nothing but frustration. Almost makes having a DVR meaningless with all the work required to attempt to get through commercials.

YMMV
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson View Post

Almost makes having a DVR meaningless with all the work required to attempt to get through commercials.

 

Really? That's beyond comment. Although as far as fast-forwarding I have always hated it and use 30-second skip (TiVo and WMC). TiVo with its rewind almost worked perfectly and with WMC I do have to skip back a couple of times. However, I just found out it's programmable as is the skip forward.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Removing Commercials with DVRs