or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › America's Got Talent, season 8 (2013)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

America's Got Talent, season 8 (2013) - Page 3

post #61 of 361
While I don't think he can win it, the Asian dancer was amazing, I thought it would be bad but he really surprised me especially when he did that reverse move near the end, pretty impressive.
post #62 of 361
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroMike View Post

On the radio Stern said that during editing, they changed up the format a little this year, which is NOT to mix up the show with X'd out and passing acts, they will show more passing acts until the show picks up in Vegas.
Thank you (we don't all get, or all can afford, SiriusXM in order to hear him).

I'm sure that many of the bad auditions over the years were staged, performed by shills in the employ of NBC or Syco rather than actual contestants.  Scrapping the joke acts allows more time and production funds for auditioning and airing the real contestants.
post #63 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

Thank you (we don't all get, or all can afford, SiriusXM in order to hear him).

I'll keep updates then! I'm new to this thread, on this forum.

He talks about the shows the whole season while on the radio and provides reasoning behind the calls made on the TV. He said they have a few really good comedians comes up which we have not seen yet. They also thought the ever so coming back dancing acts are getting old and although they passed them for now, will not last long in comparisson to the upcoming talent!

Nick Cannon also reminded Howard that after the judges rip apart an act, especially a young one, Nick has to be the one in the back trying to calm them down, explaining that it's not the end of the world and that they are not bad but there is only so much room left and so on...
post #64 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroMike View Post

I'll keep updates then! I'm new to this thread, on this forum.

He talks about the shows the whole season while on the radio and provides reasoning behind the calls made on the TV. He said they have a few really good comedians comes up which we have not seen yet. They also thought the ever so coming back dancing acts are getting old and although they passed them for now, will not last long in comparisson to the upcoming talent!

Nick Cannon also reminded Howard that after the judges rip apart an act, especially a young one, Nick has to be the one in the back trying to calm them down, explaining that it's not the end of the world and that they are not bad but there is only so much room left and so on...

The behind the scenes are interesting, but you need to keep it to the current week, otherwise, we are getting into spoiler territory and the spoiler tag should be used. I’d prefer not knowing what the future holds. Thanks.
post #65 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

The behind the scenes are interesting, but you need to keep it to the current week, otherwise, we are getting into spoiler territory and the spoiler tag should be used. I’d prefer not knowing what the future holds. Thanks.
Howard is pretty tight-lipped about the future. He doesn't want to spoil it for the TV audience either. Most I've heard about future acts is very general good things & nothing real specific. The specific comments tend to be about last night's episode more than providing spoilers.
post #66 of 361
Last night? I thought it was hockey last night.. mmm.. seems I missed it.. or they aired some? (I was too busy watching "Under the Dome")
post #67 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Last night? I thought it was hockey last night.. mmm.. seems I missed it.. or they aired some? (I was too busy watching "Under the Dome")

Metaphorically speaking. smile.gif You didn't miss anything last night. Two hour episode tonight @9.
post #68 of 361
Sorry - my reference of "last night" was in general to Howard Stern's radio show that he's unlikely to really talk in detail about acts until the day after we see them on TV.

I believe this week's episode is back to Tuesday, 9-11. Apologies for any confusion...
post #69 of 361
Thread Starter 
Yes, DeMavs meant "the previous night."

Yes, back to regular schedule tonight, 9 PM EDT/PDT for two hours.  Thanks to those who have posted today, since I didn't get a chance to put up a bump message.
post #70 of 361
Tenor guys were impressive, the rest, meh..

Finally back to some bad acts, the scorpion guy was bitten or stung? Scorpion bites aren't dangerous, stings are, I bet that one was poison drained or something.
post #71 of 361
Thread Starter 
I've seen Taylor Williamson performaing on television before, and it's a damn good thing he didn't try the "elephino" chestnut on stage; bad enough he used it backstage and worse that it was aired.  That line is older than his grandparents.

His actual audition wasn't that bad, but maybe it's because that "elephino" clip had lowered the bar for me.
post #72 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

I've seen Taylor Williamson performaing on television before, and it's a damn good thing he didn't try the "elephino" chestnut on stage; bad enough he used it backstage and worse that it was aired.  That line is older than his grandparents.

His actual audition wasn't that bad, but maybe it's because that "elephino" clip had lowered the bar for me.
Those jokes were a total setup...you were supposed to feel the guy would get XXX'd immediately, then lo and behold, he's not bad.
post #73 of 361
How about the death metal kids? That was very strange.
post #74 of 361
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Those jokes were a total setup...you were supposed to feel the guy would get XXX'd immediately, then lo and behold, he's not bad.
So do you think they threatened him with ejection, and the cancellation of his audition, if he didn't go along with it, or if he used a better joke?
post #75 of 361
They were awesome,my wife freaked out,but they were great.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta
post #76 of 361
As I posted a couple of weeks ago, I knew we were due for a show full of rejects. But it's AGT.

Lots of dancers this year. Lots. I haven’t seen enough to make a decision one way or the other, but there are some possibilities, like Hammerstep throwing some hip hop in with the clogging.

Forte, the three male singers at the end, just made my top 10. That was very impressive.

I was also very impressed by Brandon and Savannah, the brother and sister singers. 13? No way I would have guessed she was 13. I thought they were energetic, brought stage presence, and have very good voices for their age. What really helped them, unlike other younger bands, was having older band members that could actually play. The combination of the two puts them in my top 10.

The illusionist was pretty cool, but like a lot of other acts that pass through, we didn’t get to see much because of the editing.

Top 10:

Brandon and Savannah
Forte
Marty Brown
Anna Christine
post #77 of 361
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post

They were awesome,my wife freaked out,but they were great.
If you mean Aaralyn and Izzy (I think those were their names), they certainly were unexpected.  I hope they have some variety in their repertoire though and she won't just be screaming again in future rounds.
post #78 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

So do you think they threatened him with ejection, and the cancellation of his audition, if he didn't go along with it, or if he used a better joke?
No, I'm saying the showrunners create those pre audition packages with some foreknowledge of the contestants ability. Now the guy may have been in character telling lame jokes to other contestants, on his own, as a setup...or the showrunners put him up to it...setup none the less. The same as the guys (2 acts) that claimed they'd only worked together a week, then blew everyone away. I doubt if they follow more than a few of the acts sitting in the lobby. It's either the really good ones or the really bad ones.
post #79 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

No, I'm saying the showrunners create those pre audition packages with some foreknowledge of the contestants ability. Now the guy may have been in character telling lame jokes to other contestants, on his own, as a setup...or the showrunners put him up to it...setup none the less. The same as the guys (2 acts) that claimed they'd only worked together a week, then blew everyone away. I doubt if they follow more than a few of the acts sitting in the lobby. It's either the really good ones or the really bad ones.
Asian Turf (can't remember his name) was telling everyone that he does "dance-ish". They had a ton of footage of this guy talking to random people. Come to think of it, they have TONS of footage of lots of the contestants who get advanced. And, they are mic'd! How does the camera crew know who to follow around in the waiting room? I agree, a lot of it is staged.
post #80 of 361
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

Asian Turf (can't remember his name)
That would be Kenichi Ebina.  He has a Wikipedia page as a dancer and is no more an amateur than Passing Zone from Season 1 or Melinda Hill from Season 7 (two acts that I name because I had previously seen both performing on television), but the rules apparently have never excluded professionals.
post #81 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

Asian Turf (can't remember his name) was telling everyone that he does "dance-ish". They had a ton of footage of this guy talking to random people. Come to think of it, they have TONS of footage of lots of the contestants who get advanced. And, they are mic'd! How does the camera crew know who to follow around in the waiting room? I agree, a lot of it is staged.

We don’t know when those clips are shot. Maybe after they have auditioned/been interviewed when they know who is going to be on stage? They probably have a lot of camera people taking video that will never be used. We have seen some video of people who never make it on stage. I don’t think they are personally “mic’d,” they may be using booms or have excellent audio. I also suspect the shots of people in the audience making comments are edited in. You can take random comments and make them applicable to just about anything. All guesses on my part. But in any case, not a big deal to me.
post #82 of 361
Yeah, I'm not particularly worried about how staged it is. The acts still have to perform.

That's right, I remember thinking his name was "Kenny G", and his accent was throwing me off... I was like, "is he going to play the saxophone or what?!?!" tongue.gif
post #83 of 361
Thread Starter 
Indeed, he didn't say his last name (it was displayed on-screen) and when he gave his first name he stressed the antepenult (one judge, Brown I think, still called him ke-NEE-chi after his performance; but female British[*] judges who mispronounce names have been a tradition on AGT since Season 2), so I also noticed that it sounded a lot like "Kenny G."

[*] If it was Klum rather than Brown, make that "European."
post #84 of 361
Thread Starter 
== BUMP ==

Another audition installment tonight, 9 PM EDT/PDT, two hours long.
post #85 of 361
It looks like this is a singer’s year.

Dave Fenley on guitar reminded me a lot of Michael Grimm. He was really good.

Brandon, the opera singer, was also excellent.

Add those two to my top 10.

A couple of interesting acts, but those two stood out.

Two hours next Tuesday and 1 hour on Wednesday.
post #86 of 361
I don't see any finalists here, perhaps the opera guy, but the trio are way better

The olate wannabe dog didn't do anything special
post #87 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

I don't see any finalists here, perhaps the opera guy, but the trio are way better

The olate wannabe dog didn't do anything special

I've yet to see ANY audition this year that I'd pay more than fifty cents to see again.
post #88 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

I've yet to see ANY audition this year that I'd pay more than fifty cents to see again.

Agreed, I would never go to a singing show in vegas, they just don't do anything for me.
post #89 of 361
Thread Starter 
The mechanical cat had to be a setup.
post #90 of 361

That premise of being "a million dollar Vegas act" is silly on its face.  Look at some of the "acts" Mandel especially has put through.  Who would pay anything to see a couple of so-so hiphop dancers on a big stage or some of the other "eccentric" folks Mandel seems to find irresistible?  The shrieking kid?  Please.  I get that some of it is simply for ratings (though I'm not sure why the crap ones improve ratings) and some for filler, but the vacillating voting standards between acts are annoying to me.  Stern pointed out to Mandel a couple of obvious times where Mandel passed on a reasonable act yet voted for an absolute loser simply bcz he found the act "different".  Yes, America definitely has talent, but the judges often do not.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › America's Got Talent, season 8 (2013)