or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › Acoustic panels under fabric track
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Acoustic panels under fabric track

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
I am still considering all of my options regarding professional installation vs DIY of my new theater. I have a question regarding acoustic panels placed under a fabric track. (such as fabricmate, questtrack, etc.)

Specifically I am strongly leaning towards the Quest Acoustical Lens System. This will result in strategic panel placement rather than broad wall covering. I think I've seen the answer to my question previously, but I've searched and cannot find it for the life of me. Let's say I am using the fabric track to cover a 5' square section of wall, but with only a 2' x 4' panel within this section of wall. Do I HAVE to put additional materal (i.e. batting) to fill the remainder of the space, or can I just place the single panel and cover the entire 5' area. I am thinking about a darker red/garnet type color.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Kevin
post #2 of 8
What is your concern with not filling the space? From an acoustic point of view, there's no need to fill it. For other practical reasons (seeing the panels through the fabric, leaning against the wall, etc) you might want to fill the voids.
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
My concern is aesthetic. I am concerned about whether I will see the one panel behind the fabric, rather than having the whole space filled.
post #4 of 8
depends on the color and weave of the fabric. can you see any of the 2x4 panels under the fabric in the 4x7 fabric panels of the Curve Frenzy Theater? One key issue is contrast, The quest panels are light colors, if the surrounding wall is a similar color you won't see the panels. If you paint the walls black and put a yellow panel under fabric you might detect the outline.

I always do a test with normal light and with a flash.
post #5 of 8
It does not have to be completely filled (track to track). However, I like to embellish with treatment, and different kinds of treatment, when using a track system for several reasons.
post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

depends on the color and weave of the fabric. can you see any of the 2x4 panels under the fabric in the 4x7 fabric panels of the Curve Frenzy Theater? One key issue is contrast, The quest panels are light colors, if the surrounding wall is a similar color you won't see the panels. If you paint the walls black and put a yellow panel under fabric you might detect the outline.

I always do a test with normal light and with a flash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMikeBravo View Post

It does not have to be completely filled (track to track). However, I like to embellish with treatment, and different kinds of treatment, when using a track system for several reasons.

Thank you both for your input. I think I'll do a bit more research, particularly reviewing the Curve Frenzy thread. I'm not entirely sold on a DIY project vs professional installation, but if I do, I suppose this situation will require some testing.

Thanks again.
Kevin
post #7 of 8
If the panels under your fabric are yellow or white colored, you may see them a little bit when the lights are on full in the room. I have heard of people putting a layer of black fabric behind the final fabric but I don't know how much this would compromise the acoustic performance.

One thing you will want to do though - if you use screws (and washers) to affix the panels to the wall, do yourself a favor and use a black permanent marker to color the heads of those screws. The shiny silver of the screw heads is much more noticeable than the panels are.
post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kromkamp View Post


One thing you will want to do though - if you use screws (and washers) to affix the panels to the wall, do yourself a favor and use a black permanent marker to color the heads of those screws. The shiny silver of the screw heads is much more noticeable than the panels are.

Good point. I'd heard of using black tape, but if the marker works, then just that much easier!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › Acoustic panels under fabric track