or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › The Shadow (1994)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Shadow (1994)

post #1 of 34
Thread Starter 
http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/1994-film-adaptation-of-the-shadow-with-alec-baldwin-on-blu-ray-june/

No extras. $13.99 preorder on Amazon... expect this to be in the $7-8 bargain bin soon after release...

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #2 of 34
...great score by Jerry Goldsmith...
post #3 of 34
Hopefully: It'll look better than that ****fest of a disc, released in Germany. Probably: It'll look the same.
post #4 of 34
It's taken longer than I expected to hit Blu-ray, though I haven't watched it in ages to see if the movie is now badly dated.
post #5 of 34
It is badly dated. I had the DTS Laserdisc in the day... great soundtrack, but the movie was meh. We early home theater enthusiasts were hard up for awesome DTS audio at that time. biggrin.gif The film makers apparently didn't know if they were making a spoof or a homage to the classic radio drama. The script was all over the map. Even the ever manic Tim Curry couldn't save the day... though, Penelope Ann Miller was very fetching.
post #6 of 34
I preordered it. I own it on laser disc, recorded it off of Universal HD and will just happy to have a HD widescreen copy on a disc.
post #7 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

It is badly dated. I had the DTS Laserdisc in the day... great soundtrack, but the movie was meh. We early home theater enthusiasts were hard up for awesome DTS audio at that time. biggrin.gif The film makers apparently didn't know if they were making a spoof or a homage to the classic radio drama. The script was all over the map. Even the ever manic Tim Curry couldn't save the day... though, Penelope Ann Miller was very fetching.
They knew, it's neither a spoof or a homage. It fit in with the pictures of time no so much Batman, as more toward the Rocketeer. And you do have the director of Highlander 2.biggrin.gif
post #8 of 34
Thread Starter 
My wife is a huge Shadow OTR lover, so we're buying this no matter what the quality. I enjoy this movie now than I did when it came out, mostly because now I pretend that the Shadow is played by Jack Donaghy.
post #9 of 34
I thought this movie was a total dog when I saw it in the theater. Yet, strangely, I have a very strong urge to watch it again now. Not really even sure why. smile.gif
post #10 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

I thought this movie was a total dog when I saw it in the theater. Yet, strangely, I have a very strong urge to watch it again now. Not really even sure why. smile.gif

Khan has you under his spell. smile.gif

You can see where Bob Kane got his idea for The Batman comics... "only the Shadow knows."
post #11 of 34
I haven't seen it in quite awhile, but I do have pleasant memories....wink.gif
post #12 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I haven't seen it in quite awhile, but I do have pleasant memories....wink.gif
Same here. I like 30s retro stuff.
post #13 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/1994-film-adaptation-of-the-shadow-with-alec-baldwin-on-blu-ray-june/

No extras. $13.99 preorder on Amazon... expect this to be in the $7-8 bargain bin soon after release...

About g*ddamned time! I can finally replace my DTS dvd that was 4:3. *shudders* Hope it's not the same transfer thats on tv..... oh wait. Damn you Universal.
post #14 of 34
I'm happy this is finally coming to Blu-ray. Sure the movie is overall a disappointment but it does have its moments.

To make up for the lack of extra features I recommend picking up this documentary along with the movie.
post #15 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/1994-film-adaptation-of-the-shadow-with-alec-baldwin-on-blu-ray-june/

No extras. $13.99 preorder on Amazon... expect this to be in the $7-8 bargain bin soon after release...

and people wonder why Studios don't want to release catalog titles, personally I can't wait for this.
post #16 of 34
Started out good...and if it kept that tone, it would have been more successful. Still, it was dumb fun (I put it alongside THE PHANTOM) and I enjoyed it. But boy, a Baldwin commentary track would have been great!
post #17 of 34
Shout! Factory's Cliff MacMillian has written on his Facebook page that they have an SE of this in the works, even though Universal is still doing their own bare-bones release next month.

Anyway, this gives me an excuse to post this.
post #18 of 34
Lack of a release date, means I'm still picking up Universal's release, DNR permitting.

If it's the same transfer as the German release, I'll be livid.
post #19 of 34
I'll wait for the Shout version, which hopefully sports a fresh transfer. I'm too weary of Universal recycling DVD masters for their Blu-Ray releases.
post #20 of 34
Who do you think Shout get their Universal masters from?
post #21 of 34
Cliff MacMillan makes them himself, due to his immense skill...
post #22 of 34
Hmmmmm... lol
post #23 of 34
German, US, and Shout releases will all have the same video transfer.
I'll get the Shout edition if it has a commentary, otherwise no point.
post #24 of 34
Ordered it off Amazon. Check it out on Thursday. Decent transfer. I was kinda disappointed in the DTS HD track, but it was better than my DVD Version
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainofury View Post

Ordered it off Amazon. Check it out on Thursday. Decent transfer. I was kinda disappointed in the DTS HD track, but it was better than my DVD Version

Sorry to hear that, as the DTS on the laserdisc was pretty damn good. Wonder what happened?
post #26 of 34
The Laserdics would have DTS regular vs DTS HD lossless sometimes you notice things with higher resolution sound, it just kind of raises the bar.
post #27 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainofury View Post

Ordered it off Amazon. Check it out on Thursday. Decent transfer. I was kinda disappointed in the DTS HD track, but it was better than my DVD Version

DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround track sounded fine to me although it won't make anyone's demo list.
Quote:
The Shadow's DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround track is more rewarding, even though the thin, tinny, comicbook nature of the soundscape makes for a less-than-immersive experience. Dialogue is clear and intelligible throughout, without much in the way of prioritization mishaps. A few lines are dragged beneath the chaos when action erupts, but nothing of any consequence. LFE output is decidedly decent too, bringing solid punch and hefty kick to the fight whenever Cranston becomes The Shadow. The rear speakers get a mild workout too, but busy as they get, they aren't very efficient. Directionality suffers and dynamics aren't quite up to snuff, although much of that traces back to the film's original sound design rather than a deficiency in the lossless track. All told, The Shadow's DTS-HD MA mix isn't a disappointment, it just doesn't leave much of a mark.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Shadow-Blu-ray/47145/
post #28 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

The Laserdics would have DTS regular vs DTS HD lossless sometimes you notice things with higher resolution sound, it just kind of raises the bar.

Perhaps, but the quote above stating "directionality suffers" doesn't match what the LD had, where The Shadow's voice went around the room. I'll wait for the upcoming Shout Special Edition. It might be the same transfer (or not), but there may be differences.
post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainofury View Post

Ordered it off Amazon. Check it out on Thursday. Decent transfer. I was kinda disappointed in the DTS HD track, but it was better than my DVD Version

Sorry to hear that, as the DTS on the laserdisc was pretty damn good. Wonder what happened?
Yep, the DTS laserdisc sounded great for its time. We do have cases on Blu-ray where studios have gone and tinkered with the sound for no good reason.
post #30 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

Yep, the DTS laserdisc sounded great for its time. We do have cases on Blu-ray where studios have gone and tinkered with the sound for no good reason.

They do near-field mixes since the soundtracks aren't being played in a giant auditorium through PA speakers. That being said, there are wonderfully great home theater mixes that keep the essence of the original theatrical version (and are sometimes supervised by the same engineers) and there are some wonderfully awful examples too.

Take for instance the Jurassic Park DTS Laserdisc. It used the ORIGINAL theatrical mix designed specifically to take advantage of the DTS system debuting with JP... and that motherf--ker blew a lot of speakers in its day (the mix was hot)! The bass was stupendous and the surrounds were jacked up and more enveloping like modern film tracks as well. That LD is definitely a classic.

Because of ultra boosted treble and other issues with audio designed for auditorium sound systems, there are some good reasons for near field mixes, but they have to be properly created.
Edited by Dan Hitchman - 6/19/13 at 9:24pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › The Shadow (1994)