Summary of chapter ONE - getting ready for drywall.
The original space was pretty wide open however there were several items that needed to be adressed prior to a building out the theater
1) The biggest was moving the pole in the center of the space. An engineer was called out, a plan was developed, the pole moved and the beam reinforced. $$$
2)The water expansion tank for the well was moved about 10 ft to get more room up front. (Plumber)
3) A sub-panel was installed in the adjacent utility room (Electrician)
4) One eight inch round metal duct was running down the center of a joist bay, we wanted to also run a supply duct to the theater in that space, so I removed and patched the original take off from the main line and moved it over a foot.
5) Oddly there was a electrical junction box tucked up in the ceiling which would have been covered by the drywall (Code violation) so we rewired it and moved it outside the theater to an accessible location.
6)There were two pull chain lights on electrical boxes on the ceiling which we removed, unfortonately they were in the middle of a circuit with a sump pump at the end, so we rewired that circuit
7) The lone small window which is under the deck got covered with plywood and insulation.
In the beginning was some raw space, it had a pole and the pole was moved, it was replaced by two poles farther apart. You can spot the footprint of the original pole just behind the far saw horse.
A small window is only a small problem, it's under the deck anyway. We'll just cover it.
Framing was pretty easy, just measure and build wall in sections one inch shorter than the shortest measurement. Stand them up and attach the tops with IB3 clips and the bottoms with the power gun.
Clipped the front for clearance issues with the furnace
I can only imagine that when they wired up the kitchen power supply to the under the sink counter island that the wire they had was a little short so they just added a junction box and another piece of wire, you can not leave a junction box buried in the ceiling. So, $30 later for a piece of 3 conductor wire and the problem was solved.
Somebody said where is the stud behind the pole, here is a different angle. Of note up at the ceiling joists is the extra blocking added for the wall clips and to secure the ends of the ceiling clips, PIA. Each piece cut to fit and toe screwed in place.
On the other side we were able to get away with smaller blocking
We installed 11 backer boxes, I tried some available on-line boxes because the time it would take to build plus materials would have ended up costing more, The jury is out on these boxes we had issues and I'm going to call the guy Monday. The name is QuietBox.
1 1/2 inch conduit for projector and power supply for projector.
Some wires and a shot showing the pole inside the theater, soon to be in a column
I let NYGF23 have all the fun and play with the putty on all the electrical boxes
Site of two future dedicated 20amp circuits for the equipment rack
I'm attempting to show that once the channels were hung when we attach the drywall it will hang below the water pipes and existing wiring. We did have to replace the bulky pipe clamps with a flatter version. I'm now having nightmares about the drywall crew not hitting the channel and putting a screw into a pipe. same for any soffits in the front of the theater. Bucket is on standby and I know where the closest shut off valve is.
Last day NYGF23 and I started in on the insulation, a little left as homework before my next trip back.
The last day was a special breakfast of champions, I thought cutting them in half was a nice touch to encourage us not to be be pigs, I hopped in my truck and headed to the golden arches for the BIG breakfast platter. Not sure if it was an omen but McD was out of forks, had to eat my pancakes with a spoon.Edited by BIGmouthinDC - 3/30/13 at 1:17pm