or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › Beam and Pole interruptus NOT - BIGmouthinDC and NYGiantsFan23 launch - The Rawlinsway Theater
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Beam and Pole interruptus NOT - BIGmouthinDC and NYGiantsFan23 launch - The Rawlinsway Theater - Page 6

post #151 of 801
No commentary? Even silent movies had cards that you could read.

I'm just sayin'.
post #152 of 801
Looks Awesome ..... will you have a drywall guy come in to do the mudding?

what about the light trays? or you doing something totally different this time and going to surprise us.
post #153 of 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

No commentary? Even silent movies had cards that you could read.

I'm just sayin'.

coffee didn't kick in yet ... or it did which is why no time for commentary LOL!!!!
post #154 of 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

No commentary? Even silent movies had cards that you could read.

I'm just sayin'.

How is it that you know what silent movies were like, Tom?
post #155 of 801
It's called "history." I stayed in school and paid attention. For all you young whipper snappers (who should STAY OFF MY LAWN!) it's this new-fangled thingy called the "Interweb." Google is your friend.

And why Barney Google is still a country bumpkin after inventing something like that is beyond me.
post #156 of 801
Big,

I have a similar room, can you tell me the beam to floor clearance? Mine is 7'7" before drywall so I'm watching you guys build this as it may be exactly what I need to do. Thanks!
post #157 of 801
BIG, your flow of pictures sort of tell a story... but the beginning and the end don't match up. It's like two different stories mashed together and edited to make it seem like they are the same....

1) On the first day, I created Drill
2) On the second day, I created hole (With drill) Wires sprang from the hole and I said, "That's good!"
3) On the third day, I created (can) Lights
4) On the fourth day, I gave can lights the wires that sprang from the holes and said "That's Good!!!"
5) On the fifth day, I gave a magic pigtail to the wires so they could harness the power of the heavens
6) On the sixth day....WTF... let there be completely UN-RELATED lights! Wait, who is writing this story!!! The lights I installed on the fourth day should be lit in these photos, this will get me bad reviews on Amazon!
7) And on the following day they swept the theater of Eden.
post #158 of 801
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1redss View Post

Big,

I have a similar room, can you tell me the beam to floor clearance? Mine is 7'7" before drywall so I'm watching you guys build this as it may be exactly what I need to do. Thanks!

We started a little under 7'6" left a 1/2 inch air gap and then spanned beneath with two layers of 5/8. The result which I put a tape on this morning was 7' 3.5" Standing on the riser which is a tad over 12 inches it does not block the top of the screen
Edited by BIGmouthinDC - 5/14/13 at 4:52pm
post #159 of 801
Thread Starter 
As for commentary on the pictures If you can't figure out what I'm doing, IMHO you shouldn't be doing it yourself. The pig tail was to test the lights before popping them up in the ceiling. You plug in the circuit then walk the room with a single bulb testing each light, I always start at the end of the line, if it lights the others usually follow suit. But Damelon pretty much nailed it. The only thing where there was a disconnect as since we have plenty of work light from the main ceiling recessed cans (in backer boxes) there was no need to light them up other than a brief test one at a time.


Edited by BIGmouthinDC - 5/14/13 at 5:05pm
post #160 of 801
Thanks so much. This build will really help me out. Really looking forward to the rest.
post #161 of 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Update





BIG, Question.

These lights, they are obviously isolated in their own boxes, makes sense. However, the straps that are there holding them in place, is that all that secures them? I only ask because obviously they are held in place by the drywall once installed, but what secures them beyond that? From the image it would appear the light remains unsecured to anything and it would just rattle and move around inside the box if pushed up. Or am I missing something?
post #162 of 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by smakovits View Post

BIG, Question.

These lights, they are obviously isolated in their own boxes, makes sense. However, the straps that are there holding them in place, is that all that secures them? I only ask because obviously they are held in place by the drywall once installed, but what secures them beyond that? From the image it would appear the light remains unsecured to anything and it would just rattle and move around inside the box if pushed up. Or am I missing something?

I believe these will be "stuck" to the back side of the drywall with acoustic sealant.
post #163 of 801



Big,

Will the projector attach just to the piece of plywood? Were extra clips used? Just curious if there is any concern of having a 45lb weight as an addition to the drywall/plywood etc.

Thanks!
post #164 of 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

BIG, your flow of pictures sort of tell a story... but the beginning and the end don't match up. It's like two different stories mashed together and edited to make it seem like they are the same....

1) On the first day, I created Drill
2) On the second day, I created hole (With drill) Wires sprang from the hole and I said, "That's good!"
3) On the third day, I created (can) Lights
4) On the fourth day, I gave can lights the wires that sprang from the holes and said "That's Good!!!"
5) On the fifth day, I gave a magic pigtail to the wires so they could harness the power of the heavens
6) On the sixth day....WTF... let there be completely UN-RELATED lights! Wait, who is writing this story!!! The lights I installed on the fourth day should be lit in these photos, this will get me bad reviews on Amazon!
7) And on the following day they swept the theater of Eden.

Now that there is funny!
smile.gif
post #165 of 801
+1 and the creater BIG said let there be light biggrin.gif
post #166 of 801
Yep, currently may favorite post on AVS smile.gif
post #167 of 801
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smakovits View Post

BIG, Question.

These lights, they are obviously isolated in their own boxes, makes sense. However, the straps that are there holding them in place, is that all that secures them? I only ask because obviously they are held in place by the drywall once installed, but what secures them beyond that? From the image it would appear the light remains unsecured to anything and it would just rattle and move around inside the box if pushed up. Or am I missing something?

Actually the black straps are a band-aid for the Backer box manufacturer supplied mounting method which was velcro which failed to stick on about half the boxes. If the lights rattle after being stuck in place with the caulk you can run a screw up through the drywall into the face of the can box and snug tight.

First time I tried these boxes (quiet box) and I wouldn't use the next time.
post #168 of 801
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslegacy View Post




Big,

Will the projector attach just to the piece of plywood? Were extra clips used? Just curious if there is any concern of having a 45lb weight as an addition to the drywall/plywood etc.

Thanks!

Yes, been doing that for quite some time, attaching to anything above would defeat the ceiling isolation method used.

Yes, overall 25% extra on the ceiling.

No, it is actually 33 lbs. plus mount.

Did you ever see this picture of Ted White?

post #169 of 801
Ha no I haven't seen that one - I guess I don't need to worry.

I will just plan to add a few extra clips for the wood.
post #170 of 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Yes, been doing that for quite some time, attaching to anything above would defeat the ceiling isolation method used.

Yes, overall 25% extra on the ceiling.

No, it is actually 33 lbs. plus mount.

Did you ever see this picture of Ted White?


I prefer the one of you hanging instead Big. You seem to be having a lot more fun as Ted can't even bare to look at us.
post #171 of 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Now that there is funny!
smile.gif

Glad you enjoyed it. hah!


What's with all of the theater builders hanging from things??
post #172 of 801
This one is much better!
post #173 of 801
thats the one
post #174 of 801

Don't you know - this is the theater builder's workout.  Both Ted and BIG do a couple hundred pull ups every morning before they start work.

post #175 of 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post


Did you ever see this picture of Ted White?


Something I didn't notice until now- What are Ted's joists supported by in that picture? Are they really cantilevered over that back wall, or is the ceiling photoshopped to show the cutaway view of joists/OSB/insulation. I'm assuming the latter?
post #176 of 801
Quote:
Both Ted and BIG do a couple hundred pull ups every morning before they start work.

When Big does a pull up, the bar comes down to him.
post #177 of 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

When Big does a pull up, the bar comes down to him.

I second that. There is something magical about everything BIG does smile.gif
post #178 of 801
Thread Starter 
Stage and Riser

First you start with some 2x12s and 2x10s. Build it away from the wall and you can run your framing gun in from the backside. Leave one end on the front 2x12 and you can lift and drag the first big section to the wall easier (NYGF23 was at work)




Bang on the front



make the remaining section and drag into place and secure to the first section.



Check the level and shim as required



Add mid span supports to make it more solid



Wire it up



stuff it



add two layers of 3/4 material with either GG or roofing felt between layers.



Round the edges




Stage, we set out to build the AVS all to frequent two level rounded stage and when I pulled out my bendy board to mock up the curve NYGF23 said "do we have to make it curved?". We sat down and looked at the show me your stage thread and concluded that the answer is NO. http://www.avsforum.com/t/994029/post-your-stage-photos-here-thanks/0_40#post_17706313

The board is laying in the approximate position of the screen wall.



I left this afternoon leaving NYGF23 with a homework assignment to transport 60 or so bags of sand and fill it up, Next week I return to put on the top and complete some other items.
Edited by BIGmouthinDC - 5/16/13 at 7:09pm
post #179 of 801
Ah the "haul the bags of sand to the theater" rite of passage. Oh, boy my whole body aches already for you NYGF. If I was closer, I would lend my weak mind and strong back er ah is it the other way round? Well anyway I'd be there for you even if it was just for moral support.

Progress looks good to this point, even the non curved stage looks good. tongue.gif

Regards,

RTROSE
post #180 of 801
Thread Starter 
NYGF23, just so you know, if you don't post a picture of you schlepping a bag it's not official. A reflection in the patio door is one way if the misses can't be bothered.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › Beam and Pole interruptus NOT - BIGmouthinDC and NYGiantsFan23 launch - The Rawlinsway Theater