or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › Beam and Pole interruptus NOT - BIGmouthinDC and NYGiantsFan23 launch - The Rawlinsway Theater
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Beam and Pole interruptus NOT - BIGmouthinDC and NYGiantsFan23 launch - The Rawlinsway Theater - Page 17

post #481 of 801
Thread Starter 
A few more details on finishing the rear bar.

First, plan the butt edges of the MDF to land on the ends, then cover them with trim.



I added some simple base molding, keep it up off the bottom


I added a scrap at the bottom to pad it out


add base molding




post #482 of 801
Thread Starter 
Dressed the door a little bit.

post #483 of 801
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Nice! Can we get a close up of a corner of one of the fabric frames with molding/trim? Just curious what the reveal looks like.

We aim to please



The rake is about 1/2 inch thick so only 50% of the panel edge is hidden.
post #484 of 801
I must admit guys, this is all BIG. His attention to detail is almost scary.... I am so happy I waited until he became available to do my HT..biggrin.gif
post #485 of 801
looks great cant wait to see the final product, you must be getting excited pretty soon you will have all your space back in your garage when all your goodies make there way down stairs smile.gif
post #486 of 801
I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere before, but what are you using to fill the nail holes on the MDF? Is it also being used to hide the butt edges on the columns? Any special finishing tricks?
post #487 of 801
Thread Starter 
It is a wood filler, two coats, sand prime and paint.

post #488 of 801
I know all about that wood filler...........
post #489 of 801
Thread Starter 
Another skill for the Resume.
post #490 of 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Speaker Columns

I made some frames from two layers of 1/2 inch Sandply. Glued and Stapled . Basically 1x1 frames with overlapped joints and a mid span spreader to resist bowing

Painted the leading edge black, wrapped in fabric and added Velcro. Added insulation to the interior of the columns and a layer of Linacoustic

Big I noticed a lot of people cut the face of the column below the speaker shelf to expose the insulation. Is this required? I only cut the hole above the shelf. my columns are stuffed with R19 and made from drywall not MDF.
post #491 of 801
I can tell when Big shows up because progress is obvious and quick smile.gif

You theater is looking great! Will it be ready for the start of the season ?
post #492 of 801
Awesome work! I love all of the moulding and trim!
post #493 of 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I can tell when Big shows up because progress is obvious and quick smile.gif

You theater is looking great! Will it be ready for the start of the season ?

If all goes well, it should be finished by the end of this week. It's been a long time coming and now I'm ready to relax and enjoy.
post #494 of 801
Thanks a lot craig72. It took me a long time to figure out how I wanted to approach the molding. I came up with a plan and BIG made it happen.
post #495 of 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post

Big I noticed a lot of people cut the face of the column below the speaker shelf to expose the insulation. Is this required? I only cut the hole above the shelf. my columns are stuffed with R19 and made from drywall not MDF.

I think the reason for this is it end up being a mini bass trap / absorber.
post #496 of 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGIANTSFAN23 View Post

If all goes well, it should be finished by the end of this week. It's been a long time coming and now I'm ready to relax and enjoy.
post #497 of 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkest View Post

I think the reason for this is it end up being a mini bass trap / absorber.
I was thinking the same thing but won't the drywall on the columns act differenty than the MDF sot of like the FSK on the OC703
post #498 of 801
Thread Starter 
The size of the column opening was purely aesthetics.
post #499 of 801
Thanks Big
post #500 of 801
Thread Starter 
Got the Insteon dimmer switches installed, got all the lights working, finished off the powerbridge outlet, pulled in the HDMI, and ran the wires in the conduit to the front stage, some other odds and ends, tomorrow the carpet comes, some better pictures of the rope lighting effects along with the perimeter soffit down lights.








post #501 of 801
sorry - where is the AV closet?
post #502 of 801
Beautiful. One of the nicest esthetics I've seen on here. Great work guys.
post #503 of 801
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post

sorry - where is the AV closet?

Right were we planned it

post #504 of 801
This room is fantastic! Awesome job!
Quick question, is the wainscoting on the bottom simply painted with moulding added or is there an additional panel for thickness? I could not tell from the earlier photos.
Thanks!
post #505 of 801
Thread Starter 
The fact that you can't tell is an indication that the technique works, I didn't invent it, it is described in various trim work resources. It is just painted drywall with molding. Chair rail, base cap frames, tall baseboards.
post #506 of 801
Looks good but aren't you worried about all that white trim reflecting too much light back to the screen during critical viewing?
post #507 of 801
As has come to be expected when Mr. Big gets on board a project, this is turning out marvelously. Where in Maryland are you? I'm trying to get Mr. Big involved in another Maryland build in Potomac. Seems there are a few such theaters in the metro DC area already. Should have a progressive movie night sometime where each theater could be auditioned for a scene or two before moving to he next!

Love all the trim detail. Curious to know how this mix of exposed drywall and (presumably) acoustically treated fabric works out. I have assumed that I would fabric cover my walls with acoustic treatments behind from floor to ceiling but am worried about it being overly monotonous.

Good luck pushing towards the finish!
post #508 of 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossoDiamante View Post

I'm trying to get Mr. Big involved in another Maryland build in Potomac. Seems there are a few such theaters in the metro DC area already. Should have a progressive movie night sometime where each theater could be auditioned for a scene or two before moving to he next!
!

Haha, like what, watch Lord of the Rings in parts at a dozen theaters? That might take a historically long time! smile.gif
post #509 of 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

The fact that you can't tell is an indication that the technique works, I didn't invent it, it is described in various trim work resources. It is just painted drywall with molding. Chair rail, base cap frames, tall baseboards.

Perfect, Thanks Big!
post #510 of 801
Wow looks fantastic!

Congrats

Actually kind of made my stomach turn because it makes me nervous how long it is taking me to finish my theater...I'm probably a month out from functional and 2-3 months to full deployment.

Such a weird feeling
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › Beam and Pole interruptus NOT - BIGmouthinDC and NYGiantsFan23 launch - The Rawlinsway Theater