or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › Beam and Pole interruptus NOT - BIGmouthinDC and NYGiantsFan23 launch - The Rawlinsway Theater
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Beam and Pole interruptus NOT - BIGmouthinDC and NYGiantsFan23 launch - The Rawlinsway Theater - Page 24

post #691 of 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk26 View Post

NYGIANTSFAN23, I sent you a PM, but who know if it went through. It was asking about your ceiling height. I could swear SOMEWHERE in here BIG stated it was about 7'8" or so and that came down to about 7'5". Hard to tell from pics, but maybe I misread this. Could you confirm your heights at highest point and lowest with bulkheads? Much appreciated.

looks way taller than that - also curious to know the answer to this as I have the exact same height.
post #692 of 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post

looks way taller than that - also curious to know the answer to this as I have the exact same height.

In post #2 the room started with 105" so just under 9ft.
post #693 of 799
that seems about right. following a lot of other low ceiling builds can't wait to see how they turn out. I mostly am worries that rope lighting will be very difficult to get that effect that you want like you saw in damelon's build. Oh well, we'll find out in a few months...
post #694 of 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGIANTSFAN23 View Post

Hey GerryS I'm not too sure, but I will ask Big and get back to you.

I sent an email to Acousticmac asking about the fire rating. Their reply was that there DMD covered panels are tested and certified with a class A fire rating. But the fabric has not been tested by itself. I know it is not a definitive answer but thought I would pass it along.
post #695 of 799
Thread Starter 
I've got a scrap piece of DMD. I've got a Blow torch. I've got something to record a movie. Someone make me an offer to invest the time, Starbucks gift cards accepted.
post #696 of 799
On the Acoustimac page where you can order the DMD Sampler, it says "Fireproofing Available". Leads me to believe it isn't standard on the DIY fabric. Didn't show up as an option when I ordered mine online, so may be something you need to ask about on the phone.

DMD Sampler
post #697 of 799
How do you like those SEOS waveguides? Are the surrounds localizable? i'm interested in a SEOSs for the LCR and surrounds as well, but it's hard to get guidance on the type of speakers to use for a side array as well as the appropriate processing.

I'd like to hear your impressions of these speakers. Would you do it again? Would you consider something different? Do they have enough output for you (LCR and surrounds)? Anything else you would like to mention is appreciated as well!
post #698 of 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

How do you like those SEOS waveguides?
Just for clarity - I think your questions are valid for this case, but the speakers in this theater use an EOS 8" waveguide - not an SEOS. I think they are more similar than different, but not exactly the same.

I'd love to hear some impressions and thoughts about directivity as well, if you have them smile.gif
post #699 of 799
As usual, HF is on top of things. TBH, I'm not sure of the difference between the two, although I suspect something to do with the waveguide taper.
post #700 of 799
What a nice room, well designed and super clean execution. I was trying to find a picture of the wall containing the entry door, until I realized I had already seen it, great job integrating the door with the rest of the room.

I have been working on a wainscoting plan for my theater as well. Now that I looked through your build I am not so excited. Unfortunately the only way I will be happy with my theater is to either drink your room out of my memory or pick up a thing or two from its design.

I particularly like the look and lack of complications from keeping the chair rail height even around the room. How high is the top of the chair rail from the floor?

Thanks

- Jay
post #701 of 799
Ive kept up with this build thread and read it twice so I appologize if this question has already been answered. Ive noticed on a few builds here in the forum that a few screens have alot of reflections on the ceiling when displaying video yet the screen caps of inception in this theater do not. How is this done?
post #702 of 799
Thread Starter 
NYGF23's front soffit is pretty narrow, it is painted a flat dark brown, that coupled with the camera angle and cropping probably produced very little reflection, looking through all the pictures I have some with reflections

post #703 of 799
ugh that was such a flat and boring movie... smile.gif
post #704 of 799
Thread Starter 
The futuristic view of technology and the movie set design was enough to make up for any other issues. If you get the disk watch the extras. The documentary on the sky apartment was unique. The sky and clouds you see in the movie was actually projected on screens surrounding the set. Much of the lighting was based on the reflections off the screen.
post #705 of 799
I visited NYGF23’s absolutely outstanding theater over this past weekend. I don’t even know where to start in describing the scale, attention to detail, and implementation of theater elements in this room. We visited Sunday, and it’s all my fiancé and I have been talking about since we left. Well, that and how cool NYGF23 is—being a fellow New Yorker and all cool.gif. The paneling and molding in this theater are gorgeous and the soffit is an absolute work of art (one of my favorite parts of the room). I’ve also decided that I’ll need Fusion seating in my next house. All of a sudden, my manual-recline theater seating just isn’t cutting it for me anymore. lol

The room itself also sounds stellar! Surround imaging is spectacular and, believe it or not, this was my first experience with an acoustically transparent screen behind which all three front channels (LCR) were placed. I’m now convinced that AT is the only way to go. I was curious to hear how the dual-side-surrounds sounded in operation, and the result is STELLAR. The Star Wars Episode I Pod Race Scene sealed the deal for me. I’m probably going to have to clone this theater, with only colors changing. The soundproofing is also excellent and well-worth the associated effort and costs. I finally got to experience a room with zero ambient noise; it’s amazing just how clear every detail is when it’s not battling with ambient noise.

I’ve been in this hobby for quite some time, but this is the first time I’ve looked at the “room" as a component, instead of a housing. BIG and NYGF23 did a knockout job on this room.
post #706 of 799
I'm about 6 months late to the game here, but why did you use faced insulation?
post #707 of 799
Thread Starter 
Actually we used both depending on location, some of the walls needed a vapor barrier per code. Some walls already had a barrier (previously insulated walls) and then we used unfaced. Some walls were in the middle of nowhere and having something to staple allowed us to hang the insulation in place to keep it from wandering all over the place during construction.
post #708 of 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Actually we used both depending on location, some of the walls needed a vapor barrier per code. Some walls already had a barrier (previously insulated walls) and then we used unfaced. Some walls were in the middle of nowhere and having something to staple allowed us to hang the insulation in place to keep it from wandering all over the place during construction.

I'm curious about the below picture. You used faced insulation but it looks like there is already plastic insulation on the wall behind it. Is that white plastic not considered a vapor barrier? I ask because I have the same insulation on a foundation wall in my basement. Also why the faced in the ceiling?

post #709 of 799
GF, this is an amazing looking theater. We have wainscoting like that on the main level of our house and I was contemplating whether we should try to carry it into the theater or do something totally different. After seeing how yours turned out I think we may do the same. Why did you go with can lights in the ceiling? Did you feel the soffits would not provide enough lighting?
post #710 of 799
Thread Starter 
I talked him into it. We used backer boxes. Dim overhead lighting in the rear is a good idea for sports parties and full on will make cleaning up a little easier. I've built theaters with just soffit lighting in the past, but I've since seen the light.
post #711 of 799
Ahh yes he does have that bar in the back which changes the lighting requirements. I guess I will have to figure out if sconces + soffits will be enough. Any details on the choice of insulation?
post #712 of 799
Thread Starter 
cheap. you buy insulation based on the depth of the area you want to fill, The wrapper will say for 2x4 framing, for 2x6 etc. Then there are the thicker batts for the ceiling. There isn't any clear evidence that spending more on insulation results in improved containment of the theater rumble so stick with the cheap fiberglass.
post #713 of 799
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozziegt View Post

I'm curious about the below picture. You used faced insulation but it looks like there is already plastic insulation on the wall behind it. Is that white plastic not considered a vapor barrier? I ask because I have the same insulation on a foundation wall in my basement. Also why the faced in the ceiling?


Ah yes the secret wall, because of the support pole which we hid in a column, the wall is over a foot in front of the existing insulation and is acually open to an adjoining utility room and technically isn't a double vapor barrier. In case of a Russian invasion NYGF23 said he was going to hide back there.

study these framing pictures





We used faced in the ceiling because when we went to the store, that is what they had in stock. You can use either.
Edited by BIGmouthinDC - 10/1/13 at 3:17pm
post #714 of 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Ah yes the secret wall, because of the support pole which we hid in a column, the wall is over a foot in front of the existing insulation and is actually open to an adjoining utility room and technically isn't a double vapor barrier. In case of a Russian invasion NYGF23 said he was going to hide back there.

Hmm, then you need to put a barrier on the other side of the wall. The way it is now, the itching/scratching from the exposed insulation will tip off the invading solders. biggrin.gif
post #715 of 799
Was there an acoustical plan for the room or did you guys just wing it? The reason I ask is the acoustical treatments on the walls are a little different than what people usually do around here.
post #716 of 799
Thread Starter 
Just winged it based on the projects I've done from two different acoustical designers but there is a lot more in common with the general acoustical treatment plans than you might assume. Membrane bass trap at an area of high pressure low velocity standing waves, at least 25 % of walls covered with absorbtion, to get the rooms RT60 under control. A bunch of molding and various shapes providing some level of diffusion around the space , Riser as bass trap. Carpeting and chairs. Multiple subwoofers.

Granted that bottom area of the walls seems somewhat reflective but as it turns out as I learned last week in Dr Toole's class, targeting the first reflection point isn't really what is important. If the speakers have good constant directivity and sound equally well off axis (Same frequency response and slow drop off in volume) the reflected sound will actually enhance the listening experience per his research.
Edited by BIGmouthinDC - 10/2/13 at 5:09am
post #717 of 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

I visited NYGF23’s absolutely outstanding theater over this past weekend. I don’t even know where to start in describing the scale, attention to detail, and implementation of theater elements in this room. We visited Sunday, and it’s all my fiancé and I have been talking about since we left. Well, that and how cool NYGF23 is—being a fellow New Yorker and all cool.gif. The paneling and molding in this theater are gorgeous and the soffit is an absolute work of art (one of my favorite parts of the room). I’ve also decided that I’ll need Fusion seating in my next house. All of a sudden, my manual-recline theater seating just isn’t cutting it for me anymore. lol

The room itself also sounds stellar! Surround imaging is spectacular and, believe it or not, this was my first experience with an acoustically transparent screen behind which all three front channels (LCR) were placed. I’m now convinced that AT is the only way to go. I was curious to hear how the dual-side-surrounds sounded in operation, and the result is STELLAR. The Star Wars Episode I Pod Race Scene sealed the deal for me. I’m probably going to have to clone this theater, with only colors changing. The soundproofing is also excellent and well-worth the associated effort and costs. I finally got to experience a room with zero ambient noise; it’s amazing just how clear every detail is when it’s not battling with ambient noise.

I’ve been in this hobby for quite some time, but this is the first time I’ve looked at the “room" as a component, instead of a housing. BIG and NYGF23 did a knockout job on this room.

BrolicBeast, thanks a lot. It was a pleasure having you guys over and I am happy to learn that I was of some help. The rom itself was a lot of work, but well worth it. Thanks for the info on the lumagen. Hope to see you guys soon.
post #718 of 799
Great build! I read the build from the beginning and you and Big nailed it! I am building my theater now and I am "borrowing" from you...hope you don't mind.
What size are your vent boots? Is there a gap between the boot and the cover or does the cover pilot into the boot (hope that makes since)?

Adrian
post #719 of 799
Thread Starter 
In the beggining there was a flex duct coming in the room through the ceiling using metal collars. Then the soffit was built with internal dividers that created what you call boots. The boots were lined with linacoustic and holes were cut in the bottom to fit the size vents we bought. The vent covers were screwed to the drywall.
post #720 of 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post








Yikes eek.gif

If you ever travel to Colorado........
Give me an hour of your time as a home theater consultant and I will serve you a breakfast to remember.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › Beam and Pole interruptus NOT - BIGmouthinDC and NYGiantsFan23 launch - The Rawlinsway Theater