or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Decisions, decisions....... choosing the perfect receiver to match my new Monitor Audio Bronze Series BX5's
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Decisions, decisions....... choosing the perfect receiver to match my new Monitor Audio Bronze...

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
I am having a little bit of Receiver overload right now... I've looked at Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon, Onkyo and Marantz and I can’t seem to make a decision (or even rule a few out yet!). i know that these speakers are particularly tough to pair with a receiver so owners please feel free to speak up!!!


Here’s what i need...

Currently i only have the two BX5 towers but the Center channel will be on the way soon and the BXW10 sub will follow shortly after.

I want a receiver that will expand well with the future addition I make to my setup (eventually ill be running a full 7.1 Bronze series setup (2 BX2 rears, 2 BXFX surrounds, 1 BXW10 sub, BX centre, and 2 BX5's) but that a decent way down the road.

As far as usage goes I’m pretty much: 33% everyday TV (Sports, SportsCenter, Sports Nation, PTI,..... you get the point ), 33% Movies, 33% Music (...and 1% Gaming lol). I need a receiver that can really handle high volume daily usage with flinching (overheating/noisy fans).

Budget wise... I'll spend $1200 for the right receiver but I'd be much happier in the $500-$800 range (I know.... Not really sayin' much). To be honest its not so much about the money as it is about the value to quality ratio and squeezing every ounce of performance out of these speakers as possible and not having to think about upgrading my Pre/Pro when the other toys come in.

Other components of my HT setup??.... Panasonic TC-P55ST50 display, Direct TV service, PS3 to do pretty much everything else.

What I can say:

1. A lot of people shy away from Denon but I've always found their utilitarian GUI really easy to navigate and I’ve owned a few in the past so I wouldn’t mind a familiar brand but I am totally open to new options...

2. Onkyo's styling has always been a thorn in my side.... ya know what, it is what it is.... the appearance of my components matters to me mainly because I prefer to have equipment that adds to the ambiance of my living room as oppose to taking away from it and feeling the need to hide them in furniture. Having that said... Pioneer and Marantz styling is more my speed but I’m not sure about if I’m getting enough bang for my buck there.

3. Down the road when I upgrade to a full 7.1 I plan on bringing in a separate Amp... something like the MingDa MC-368-BSE (once i figure out how to use it lol).




........So any and all assistance steering me in the right direction will be much appreciated!

Thanks
post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhead90 View Post

I am having a little bit of Receiver overload right now... I've looked at Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon, Onkyo and Marantz and I can’t seem to make a decision (or even rule a few out yet!). i know that these speakers are particularly tough to pair with a receiver so owners please feel free to speak up!!!


Here’s what i need...

Currently i only have the two BX5 towers but the Center channel will be on the way soon and the BXW10 sub will follow shortly after.

I want a receiver that will expand well with the future addition I make to my setup (eventually ill be running a full 7.1 Bronze series setup (2 BX2 rears, 2 BXFX surrounds, 1 BXW10 sub, BX centre, and 2 BX5's) but that a decent way down the road.

As far as usage goes I’m pretty much: 33% everyday TV (Sports, SportsCenter, Sports Nation, PTI,..... you get the point ), 33% Movies, 33% Music (...and 1% Gaming lol). I need a receiver that can really handle high volume daily usage with flinching (overheating/noisy fans).

Budget wise... I'll spend $1200 for the right receiver but I'd be much happier in the $500-$800 range (I know.... Not really sayin' much). To be honest its not so much about the money as it is about the value to quality ratio and squeezing every ounce of performance out of these speakers as possible and not having to think about upgrading my Pre/Pro when the other toys come in.

Other components of my HT setup??.... Panasonic TC-P55ST50 display, Direct TV service, PS3 to do pretty much everything else.

What I can say:

1. A lot of people shy away from Denon but I've always found their utilitarian GUI really easy to navigate and I’ve owned a few in the past so I wouldn’t mind a familiar brand but I am totally open to new options...

2. Onkyo's styling has always been a thorn in my side.... ya know what, it is what it is.... the appearance of my components matters to me mainly because I prefer to have equipment that adds to the ambiance of my living room as oppose to taking away from it and feeling the need to hide them in furniture. Having that said... Pioneer and Marantz styling is more my speed but I’m not sure about if I’m getting enough bang for my buck there.

3. Down the road when I upgrade to a full 7.1 I plan on bringing in a separate Amp... something like the MingDa MC-368-BSE (once i figure out how to use it lol).




........So any and all assistance steering me in the right direction will be much appreciated!

Thanks

I would get something like the Pioneer SC-1222-K and buy a better sub.
http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhead90 View Post

I am having a little bit of Receiver overload right now... I've looked at Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon, Onkyo and Marantz and I can’t seem to make a decision (or even rule a few out yet!). i know that these speakers are particularly tough to pair with a receiver so owners please feel free to speak up!!!


Here’s what i need...

Currently i only have the two BX5 towers but the Center channel will be on the way soon and the BXW10 sub will follow shortly after.

I want a receiver that will expand well with the future addition I make to my setup (eventually ill be running a full 7.1 Bronze series setup (2 BX2 rears, 2 BXFX surrounds, 1 BXW10 sub, BX centre, and 2 BX5's) but that a decent way down the road.

As far as usage goes I’m pretty much: 33% everyday TV (Sports, SportsCenter, Sports Nation, PTI,..... you get the point ), 33% Movies, 33% Music (...and 1% Gaming lol). I need a receiver that can really handle high volume daily usage with flinching (overheating/noisy fans).

Budget wise... I'll spend $1200 for the right receiver but I'd be much happier in the $500-$800 range (I know.... Not really sayin' much). To be honest its not so much about the money as it is about the value to quality ratio and squeezing every ounce of performance out of these speakers as possible and not having to think about upgrading my Pre/Pro when the other toys come in.

Other components of my HT setup??.... Panasonic TC-P55ST50 display, Direct TV service, PS3 to do pretty much everything else.

What I can say:

1. A lot of people shy away from Denon but I've always found their utilitarian GUI really easy to navigate and I’ve owned a few in the past so I wouldn’t mind a familiar brand but I am totally open to new options...

2. Onkyo's styling has always been a thorn in my side.... ya know what, it is what it is.... the appearance of my components matters to me mainly because I prefer to have equipment that adds to the ambiance of my living room as oppose to taking away from it and feeling the need to hide them in furniture. Having that said... Pioneer and Marantz styling is more my speed but I’m not sure about if I’m getting enough bang for my buck there.

3. Down the road when I upgrade to a full 7.1 I plan on bringing in a separate Amp... something like the MingDa MC-368-BSE (once i figure out how to use it lol).




........So any and all assistance steering me in the right direction will be much appreciated!

Thanks

How do you feel about Yamaha? Here is a link to an RX-A820 for $849.99. http://www.frys.com/product/7197442?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG They tend to have pretty good deals on AVR's, both new and last years models. This is a 7.2 with preouts for adding a seperate amp later on down the road. Try looking at www.accessories4less.com and Amazon to see the deals they are running too.
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhead90 View Post

I am having a little bit of Receiver overload right now... I've looked at Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon, Onkyo and Marantz and I can’t seem to make a decision (or even rule a few out yet!). i know that these speakers are particularly tough to pair with a receiver so owners please feel free to speak up!!!

Thanks

From your above post, if the ability to drive your MA's are a concern, I would seriously take a long look at the Pioneer Elite SC series receivers currently being cleared out at Magnolia stores. The new Pioneer Class D3 amps have been critically reviewed and received in addition to being 4 Ohm rated. If they can drive these loads, they will do a great job with your MA Bronzes and should easily beat anything in their class in terms of power. Their Advanced MCACC isn't too bad either and many prefer it over Audyssey. Check out the Great Deals thread at the top of the forum.
post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpoet25 View Post

How do you feel about Yamaha? Here is a link to an RX-A820 for $849.99. http://www.frys.com/product/7197442?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG They tend to have pretty good deals on AVR's, both new and last years models. This is a 7.2 with preouts for adding a seperate amp later on down the road. Try looking at www.accessories4less.com and Amazon to see the deals they are running too.

love the Yamaha, but I've been doing a little head to head comparison between the RX-A820 and its big sister the A1020... now i know its a pretty significant jump in price (at least right now that is) and im debating if the extra wattage is worth the extra $$...

one thing i'm thinking to myself is that the BX5's RMS is at 120W and the A820 will max out at 100W/channel. now i know that more often then not, i wont be listening to these speakers in the top of their range very often or for very long periods of time,.... but ..... will the extra room in the top end help the unit run cooler for longer with better resolution and transparency.... still doing a lot of research on both of them so hopefully ill find a few other factors to help separate the two.

any BX series owners out there have any experience with either pairing??

Also, Anti-Resonance Technology Wedge... real deal or marketing B.S.??
post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraneer View Post

From your above post, if the ability to drive your MA's are a concern, I would seriously take a long look at the Pioneer Elite SC series receivers currently being cleared out at Magnolia stores. The new Pioneer Class D3 amps have been critically reviewed and received in addition to being 4 Ohm rated. If they can drive these loads, they will do a great job with your MA Bronzes and should easily beat anything in their class in terms of power. Their Advanced MCACC isn't too bad either and many prefer it over Audyssey. Check out the Great Deals thread at the top of the forum.

Loving this receiver also... when i compare this to the yammy A1020 i like how it stacks up especially with the /channel output, but the 600W total output (compared to 720W with the A1020) has me a little concerned for down the road...

other things i keep hearing about is the clunky on screen GUI but i guess if i've made it through the Denon AVR 2112CI GUI then i can probably tolerate just about anything biggrin.gif:D:D

I see a trip to trip to a mortar and brick store in my very near future cool.gif
post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badouri View Post

I would get something like the Pioneer SC-1222-K and buy a better sub.
http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers

only reason im not doing an SVS sub is the size and appearance.... i know its a horrible reason but i promised the wifey a setup that all matched and wouldn't clash with her decor and i already got the OK for the Monitor SUB (she loves the look of the cabinet and to be honest, so do I biggrin.gif).... I'M WHIPPED AND PROUD DAMNNN ITTTT!!!!!!
post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
Also seems like the Pioneer is regarded as a warmer receiver then the yamaha... as far as pairing goes that may make it a better fit....
post #9 of 12
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 

WOW, this deal seems too good to be true... looks like a no brainer to me at this point... better all around than the Yamahas and the SC-1222 and at a fraction of the cost! hope the costco near me has a few left eek.gif. anyone know how long this deal will last??
post #11 of 12
How about something like this ( Denon 3313CI - http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR3313CI/DENON-AVR-3313CI-7.2-Networking-Receiver-w/AirPlay-3D-4K-Ready/1.html )

$740 Factory refurbed w/warranty. ( $1200 normally )
  • 125w a channel
  • Multi Zone
  • Airplay
  • 3D &4K pass ( future )
  • Tons of connections and pre-amp outs for more watts later.

The Denons & Marantz are basically the same units now a days with very little diff besides the look.

The main factor ( when I was looking for a receiver last month ) was the room correction the general
consensus is Audyssey is by far the best offered vs Pioneers MCCAC & Yamaha's YPAO

Let us know what you get!
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhead90 View Post

WOW, this deal seems too good to be true... looks like a no brainer to me at this point... better all around than the Yamahas and the SC-1222 and at a fraction of the cost! hope the costco near me has a few left eek.gif. anyone know how long this deal will last??

Don't know if you bought one but there's a new thread for the SC-1522:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465612/official-pioneer-sc-1522-9-2-network-ready-av-receiver-owners-thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
  • Decisions, decisions....... choosing the perfect receiver to match my new Monitor Audio Bronze Series BX5's
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Decisions, decisions....... choosing the perfect receiver to match my new Monitor Audio Bronze Series BX5's