or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › HTPC Gaming › Best controller for HTPC ROMS?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best controller for HTPC ROMS?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
I've been playing some old school NES roms and would really like a decent controller. Is the wireless Xbox 360 the best bet? I tried using a ps3 controller with a Bluetooth adapter but just couldn't get it working right. My PC got screwy after installing the software and drivers for it. I use a windows 7 based HTPC and have been using JNES as my emulator. Is the setup for the Xbox controller fairly easy? Thanks for the help!
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by doozer12 View Post

I've been playing some old school NES roms and would really like a decent controller. Is the wireless Xbox 360 the best bet? I tried using a ps3 controller with a Bluetooth adapter but just couldn't get it working right. My PC got screwy after installing the software and drivers for it. I use a windows 7 based HTPC and have been using JNES as my emulator. Is the setup for the Xbox controller fairly easy? Thanks for the help!

http://www.retrousb.com/index.php?cPath=21
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the link. Those look cool! I was hoping for a good wireless solution. Thats why I was hoping the 360 controller would work. I just dont have one yet.
post #4 of 9
I have been use the Xbox PC controller for several years now on my HTPC. I would say its OK but the issue is the D-Pad. On the generic xbox 360 controller its not as smooth as the older controllers. I upgraded to the new controller a year ago: http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wireless-Controller-Transforming-Charge/dp/B00936K09S/ref=dp_ob_title_vg.

It has an interchangeable D-Pad so that it stands up and turns into a traditional D-Pad shape. Its fairly good and IMO probably the best compromise out there, especially on the wireless front. I would suggest you go buy it at Gamestop and if you don't like it, just return it.
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the advice. I like the looks of that one. I assume I would need the wireless game receiver too? Or is the xbox controller bluetooth?
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by doozer12 View Post

Thanks for the advice. I like the looks of that one. I assume I would need the wireless game receiver too? Or is the xbox controller bluetooth?

No bluetooth - you'll need the Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows.

Note that many (most?) sold separately from the "Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows" are knock-offs, but may work fine nonetheless.
post #7 of 9
The receiver comes with the unit and I don't think it can purchased separately. It will be obvious because one controller will be much more then the rest. It should say PC windows on the front label and will mention the receiver. It actually isn't Bluetooth, its 2.4Ghz and the range is pretty ridiculous. I can be outside my apartment and still operate though blindly, heh. Last item is any xbox 360 controller works with the receiver in case your doing some two player or more ROM action.
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Note that many (most?) sold separately from the "Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows" are knock-offs, but may work fine nonetheless.

Generally though with those you need to manually install the driver from Device Manager.
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Generally though with those you need to manually install the driver from Device Manager.

Yep, but at least it's easy.

I have a knock-off and it automatically installed the driver in Windows 8 - works great.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HTPC Gaming
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › HTPC Gaming › Best controller for HTPC ROMS?