or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › *Official* Pioneer SC-1522 9.2 Network ready AV receiver owners thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*Official* Pioneer SC-1522 9.2 Network ready AV receiver owners thread - Page 18

post #511 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Can't help you with your Uverse router but it seems that it is dropping the UPnP broadcasting packets. If that is the case and your receiver and PCs are connected via ethernet cables, try put a switch between your router and the receiver/PCs. This way, the broadcasting packets get chance to reach the PC. But it won't help with wireless clients.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post


I also use U-Verse for my Internet at home, which automatically provides an IP address to my devices. Also this IP address remains the same at all time unless I reset the U-Verse router/modem.

I also had similar issues where the iPads and iPhones would get connectivity errors. I called AT&T and the tech advised me that the AT&T 2wire router/modem was the issue. He advised me that the 2wire 3600 models were bad and need it to be replaced. He installed the 3800 model, which still had issues. He finally was able to get me a 2wire 3801 model, and all the issues went away. He told me that was the last 3801 he had, and that they are hard to get because everyone wants one. Even my wireless connection improved with the new 2wire 3801 router/modem. You might want to give AT&T a call and see if you can get one.

GusGus/Foxbat thanks for the tips,
I have the 3801 and as I understand it, it automatically drops certain network permissions on re-boot. So your devices must be able to re-acquire the permissions they previously had. I'm still not having any luck with mediastream showing on the OSD, I'll have to keep playing with it. I was able to fix IControlAV2012 by allowing Wake on Lan so that it doesn't drop permissions and so far so good. Here's what I did, hope it helps anyone having the same issues.

The router address, port # and MAC address show up in the avr's network setup,

1) go to Firewall, add new user-defined application
2) profile name = Wake on Lan
tcp,
port (or range) = your port # in both from-to
Add to list
back
3) Choose the MAC address for your device,
user defined,
choose= Wake on Lan
add,
save
4) Now let IControlAV2012 find your device, this can take a while. I turned off the receiver until IControlAV2012 found it, about 10 minutes.

It's working fine now and even when it's lost connection, it connects right back again with no issues. Here are the sources I found to do this.
http://superuser.com/questions/392956/wake-on-lan-on-uverse-router

http://www.appato.com/pioneer-corporation/pioneer-controlapp/
post #512 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Download the Pioneer IR code spreadsheet which contains all the zone control IR Hex codes you need. Then search for the post I made about how to import those HEX codes to your harmony in this thread.

EDIT: I have put links to those posts in the 1st post.


Thank Sir, will give a shot tonight.
post #513 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryld View Post

Post 183 on Page 7.

Thanks for your help:)
post #514 of 1712
I purchased one of these from Costco a week ago that had a July 2012 build. I connected everything with no issues initially. I’m using 7.1 with a pair of speakers running off zone 2. I’ve got Klipsch RF-42 II fronts and polk front highs, center, and rears. I ran through the firmware update online then proceeded to install the latest firmware via USB. After installing the latest firmware my unit would exhibit a rhythmic popping noise when playing Pandora, Internet Radio, or music from my iPhone through the front USB connector or Airplay. These popping noises never happened on any of the HDMI inputs only music streaming and the iPod. I took the receiver back to Costco and exchanged it for another one. The new one is perfect so far with no popping issues. My dilemma is this, I’ve only updated the firmware version from Pioneer directly and have not done the most current USB only update. For now Internet Radio is working great as well as music from my iPhone over USB. Pandora will not work because this update addresses a server change issue preventing Pandora from connecting.

What are the chances this update will cause the new unit to exhibit the same behavior as before? I know I can take this one back if it does but I’d prefer to keep it if possible. Did anyone else experience this issue after a firmware update? The popping noise happens almost once every second and it sounds like the music is being played off a scratched vinyl record when it occurs. I’ve checked my wiring and speakers and nothing points to an issue there. The issue happened even when I took it down to just 1 speaker connected to the unit.
post #515 of 1712
Thread Starter 
I'm on the latest firmware and does not experience your popping noise problem in Pandora or streaming music.
post #516 of 1712
I've updated a number of these and never had rhythmic popping noises either- give the update a try, otherwise you are stuck with no Pandora. If you do get the noise, maybe your USB update file is corrupted - try downloading it again and update it. Maybe even re-DL it first just in case.
post #517 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtohometheate View Post

I finally went to costco and returned the Yamaha 4065 and picked up the pioneer. I've had it for only one day; i ran the mcacc setup and watched a couple blurays to test it out. The sound is clearly better than the 4065, so I'm very happy about that. One thing I'm not to sure about are the thx modes. What does it do when I turn on thx cinema? Also I noticed in the setup menu that Thx loudness plus is on by default. Is this feature only used if I enable Thx cinema mode? I read about it being some type of dynamic range compression. This receiver has a lot of listening modes and options, but the bottom line is it sounds great!

I just picked up this avr sunday and coming from a denon avr with audyssey dynamic eq/volume that I really valued, I was very interested in this too. I know it's a old question, but I wanted to post my findings.

Both this quote from Home Theater Mag "THX Loudness Plus is automatically turned on when you are using one of the THX Listening Modes." and my quick experiment seem to show that the THX loudness is only working when on of the THX listening modes is selected.

I tested this with a spl meter with the opening battle of Master and Commander. I had the avr at -40 and the spl meter peaked at 80dB without THX loudness plus selected in both standard dolby digital and the THX modes. Then I turned on THX loudness plus and the spl meter registered the same 80dB with the cannon blast in standard dolby digital mode, but when I selected THX cinema and replayed the clip, the spl meter hit 85dB, which confirmed the difference I heard.
post #518 of 1712
HQV in Onkyo 809/818 vs Qdeo in Pioneer 1522

Can spacecowboy or anyone else with these receiver indicate how the video upscaling from satellite or DVD is between these two receivers? A thread on AVS indicates that the HQV HD1900 VIda is better than the Marvell Qdeo. Also, how about the MCACC vs Audessey xt32. Is there a loss in audio quality as a result? Thanks.
Edited by petiteface - 4/24/13 at 5:38pm
post #519 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by petiteface View Post

HQV in Onkyo 809/818 vs Qdeo in Pioneer 1522

Can spacecowboy or anyone else with these receiver indicate how the video upscaling from satellite or DVD is between these two receivers? A thread on AVS indicates that the HQV HD1900 VIda is better than the Marvell Qdeo. Also, how about the MCACC vs Audessey xt32. Is there a loss in audio quality as a result? Thanks.

Think the general consensus is that XT32 is the best. MCACC is pretty phenominal. I just ran the multi-point auto, did the bass tweak and it's really good. I think if I had a very challenging room, i'd spring for one with XT32.

BTW I only have the SC-1222K. Never found that my AVR-990 came up short in the power department but this thing seems like it packs a retarded punch. Seems like it's never going to run out of power. I can only imagine what the SC-1522K is like in the power department.

The major gripe with this unit is that setting up my Harmony was infinitely more irritating and the menus were FAR worse than the Denon's. Audyssey, you set and forget. This you need to tweak after but once you get it dialed in, it's really slick.
post #520 of 1712
Anybody have a Pioneer 1522 and a Squeezebox Touch? I'm wondering what the Squeezebox still does for me that the Pioneer doesn't. I originally got it for playing HD and FLAC files.
post #521 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by alnilam1 View Post

Anybody have a Pioneer 1522 and a Squeezebox Touch? I'm wondering what the Squeezebox still does for me that the Pioneer doesn't. I originally got it for playing HD and FLAC files.

I've got the 1522 and squeezebox radio, which I don't use anymore since I got the 1522.
post #522 of 1712
A quick question for the group. I have a 9.2 theater in the basement that I would like to use this receiver in. I will be using my iPad with the iControlAV app for the theater. I would also like to use a separate zone of this receiver to power some outside speakers. Since I'm running 9.2 is this possible? I'd prefer to use the receiver's power but if I'm forced to use RCA outs into a small 2-channel amp that's perfectly fine. For the second zone I would like to use my iPad AND my iPhone to choose the music while outside (depending on which one I have on me). Will I be able to use both devices to do this? I did a quick search and couldn't find out and need to hit the sack but really want to get one of these tomorrow if it can do it.

Oh, and how do you guys feel about MCACC? Only having 9 bands of EQ and no sub EQ makes me think it's got to be pretty bad compared to even the lower end Audyssey offerings.

Thanks in advance for any input!
post #523 of 1712
I've connected the sc1522 k to JRiver media player. I've been ripping CDs into FLAC and playing them back through the receiver and it's as good as CD, maybe better because I didn't have to get up and put the CD in!

My question is that I've noticed all the features in JRiver, such as streaming movies and pictures. I know the sc1522 doesn't support those other features, what other hardware, connections, etc., would I need to stream these other files to my TV?
post #524 of 1712
Thread Starter 

RE: *Official* Pioneer SC-1522 9.2 Network ready AV receiver owners thread

Most blu ray players and smart tvs can stream them.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_canada_246 using Board Express
post #525 of 1712
Can someone confirm that this reciever is "not" capable of outputting two independent HDMI sources, i.e HDMI out 1 and HDMI out 2 can display two different HDMI input sources. This is a big deal for me and the only reciever i have found that can do this at a decent price point is the denon 3313ci
post #526 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by RastaManMax View Post

Think the general consensus is that XT32 is the best. MCACC is pretty phenominal. I just ran the multi-point auto, did the bass tweak and it's really good. I think if I had a very challenging room, i'd spring for one with XT32.

BTW I only have the SC-1222K. Never found that my AVR-990 came up short in the power department but this thing seems like it packs a retarded punch. Seems like it's never going to run out of power. I can only imagine what the SC-1522K is like in the power department.

The major gripe with this unit is that setting up my Harmony was infinitely more irritating and the menus were FAR worse than the Denon's. Audyssey, you set and forget. This you need to tweak after but once you get it dialed in, it's really slick.

What is this bass tweak?
post #527 of 1712
1522 sound is underwhelming

i just ran MCACC (Advanced, Full-auto) and calibrated my speakers. It complained about a phase reversal which I ignored since I know the connections are fine. In addition, it set my fronts as large which I reverted to small. Long story short, the sound is quite subdued. It is unclear to me what I Can adjust to address this. Related to my PIoneer VSX-45TX, there is a lack of openness/air. My older Onkyo - TX-NR3008 also sounds excellent compared to this receiver. On the plus side, I am really loving the HDMI upscaler which is really good, but I feel there are cheaper options to get this particular upscaler (such as the Onkyo 609).

Any ideas on how to improve?

I also have an Onkyo 818 (warehouse deal) on the way which I will be comparing this Pioneer to.
Edited by petiteface - 4/26/13 at 12:04am
post #528 of 1712
For the life of me I can't figure out how to use the iControl app to repeat a folder of music. I can select a song but can't select the entire folder nor can I find an option to repeat anything. Hopefully I'm just missing it somewhere?
post #529 of 1712
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by petiteface View Post

1522 sound is underwhelming

i just ran MCACC (Advanced, Full-auto) and calibrated my speakers. It complained about a phase reversal which I ignored since I know the connections are fine. In addition, it set my fronts as large which I reverted to small. Long story short, the sound is quite subdued. It is unclear to me what I Can adjust to address this. Related to my PIoneer VSX-45TX, there is a lack of openness/air. My older Onkyo - TX-NR3008 also sounds excellent compared to this receiver. On the plus side, I am really loving the HDMI upscaler which is really good, but I feel there are cheaper options to get this particular upscaler (such as the Onkyo 609).

Any ideas on how to improve?

I also have an Onkyo 818 (warehouse deal) on the way which I will be comparing this Pioneer to.

If you make changes to speaker size after MCACC, you need run it again manually while keep the current speaker settings. There are instructions in MCACC thread about how to do it.

Also, you can put receiver into pure direct/direct mode to bypass MCACC settings to see what it is like without the MCACC.

I knew you can adjust MCACC EQ in different frequency points but to fully edit the MCACC, you probably need to use the MCACC application on PC.
post #530 of 1712
Has anyone been having a lot of hdmi handshake problems? I'm having a lot of them where I have to switch inputs and then back to correct. Would changing to a higher quality hdmi cable help? The ones I have may only be 1.3 certified. Where I bought them from doesn't specify, but some of their other similar ones are listed 1.3 only.
Edited by thatguyhileman - 4/26/13 at 6:22pm
post #531 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

If you make changes to speaker size after MCACC, you need run it again manually while keep the current speaker settings. There are instructions in MCACC thread about how to do it.

Also, you can put receiver into pure direct/direct mode to bypass MCACC settings to see what it is like without the MCACC.

I knew you can adjust MCACC EQ in different frequency points but to fully edit the MCACC, you probably need to use the MCACC application on PC.

If I make changes to the x-over after running MCACC, do I need to run MCACC again or does this only apply to changing the speaker size?
post #532 of 1712
Thread Starter 
You do. Any change to speaker settings will impact the MCACC outcome. But crover settings probably have very little impact. But I will run it again anyway.
post #533 of 1712
anyone able to use pandora? i updated to latest firmware but still server error.
post #534 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmastera View Post

anyone able to use pandora? i updated to latest firmware but still server error.

I believe you are one of the few having that issue. I am able to play pandora without an issues.
post #535 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I believe you are one of the few having that issue. I am able to play pandora without an issues.

any fix for this?
does your pandora account have to be subscription or is your account free?
when i hit pandora, it takes me to existing user, enter username/pw. server fail...
Edited by drunkenmastera - 4/26/13 at 5:59pm
post #536 of 1712
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmastera View Post

anyone able to use pandora? i updated to latest firmware but still server error.

Are you sure? If you only use internet update function of the receiver, you are not on latest firmware. I have the free account and it works fine.
post #537 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Are you sure? If you only use internet update function of the receiver, you are not on latest firmware. I have the free account and it works fine.

i found the fix:

You can update the firmware via Internet but it will only update it to version 1-197-084-512-124 which doesn't fix the Pandora issue. The latest two version 1-197-084-512-153(fix Pandora) and 1-203-084-513-160(other fixes) require firmware update via USB.

I had no problem updating via internet to version 1-197-084-512-124 but that version doesn't fix Pandora issue. When I tried to update using USB, I keep getting "The file may be damaged. Either reconnect the USB memory device or replace it. Also trying saving the update file again." Error. I used several diffeerent FAT32 formatted USB with no luck.

But when I use a USB memory card reader with a Sandisk SD card, it works and I got my SC-1522-K updated to the latest firmware. Pandora is working fine after the update.



it is now updated to latest version. i thought i was on latest update when i was using usb flash drive, which didn't work. So in case someone had this problem.
pandora now works
Edited by drunkenmastera - 4/26/13 at 6:24pm
post #538 of 1712
I have the same problem - worked great for the first week now after stopping or fast forwarding my cable dvr the sound disappears until I either restart the play pause a few times or switch the receiver to some other source like net or tuner then back to cable / satellite input. Happens almost every time now.. If you discover an answer please let me know. Thanks
post #539 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by RastaManMax View Post


BTW I only have the SC-1222K. Never found that my AVR-990 came up short in the power department but this thing seems like it packs a retarded punch. Seems like it's never going to run out of power. I can only imagine what the SC-1522K is like in the power department.

Power supply and amp section are, virtually, identical in both models
post #540 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg17 View Post

What is this bass tweak?

Nobody picked up on this. I'm interested too. Any pointers on where to look?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › *Official* Pioneer SC-1522 9.2 Network ready AV receiver owners thread