or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › *Official* Pioneer SC-1522 9.2 Network ready AV receiver owners thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*Official* Pioneer SC-1522 9.2 Network ready AV receiver owners thread - Page 27

post #781 of 1713
Thread Starter 
Issue #2 is definitely due to the long hdmi cable causing hdcp issue. Different device has different hdmi drive chip. There is no way to guarantee the results for anything over 15ft. I'd say try some specialized cable like monoprice redmere cable or stick with your old receiver that is known to work.
post #782 of 1713
They sell at Costco, because Costco had some free retail space, i.e. merchandise slots, that they want to try with a new brand. Hence Pioneer steps in. However, Costco wants price "up to" $600 for that retail slot for an excellent level of quality, and the offer to Pioneer is take it or leave it. So, essentially Pioneer has no much options if wants in, but to sell some very expensive model, rebranded, at half the cost. This is how Costco works.
post #783 of 1713
Slight irritant: When turning on Pandora with no TV, the OSD winds up showing "Resume Play." The remote won't trigger this using "Enter" so I have to get up and push the center "Enter" button on the rcvr itself. Any ideas why? I'm burning up way too many calories doing this!
post #784 of 1713
Thread Starter 
This has been covered multiple times: the remote D-pad and enter buttons as well as a few other buttons have three different commands depending on which input button you pressed: receiver, NET or iPOD/USB. So, in your case, you need first press NET button once before you can use the enter button or D-pad.

Using an activity based universal remote like Harmony, you can save this hassle by binding those commands correctly to each activity.

It has nothing to do with your TV on of off,
post #785 of 1713
I'm having difficulty comparing this to the Denon AVR-2313ci, which was, prior to this thread, going to be my next receiver. I understand the Pioneer's two extra channels. But what about video processing, which processor is better etc? What else should I be looking at to compare the two? Been 12 years since I bought a receiver. I also know the Denon has Audessy, does the Pioneer have something similar?
post #786 of 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

This has been covered multiple times: the remote D-pad and enter buttons as well as a few other buttons have three different commands depending on which input button you pressed: receiver, NET or iPOD/USB. So, in your case, you need first press NET button once before you can use the enter button or D-pad.

Using an activity based universal remote like Harmony, you can save this hassle by binding those commands correctly to each activity.

It has nothing to do with your TV on of off,

I thought I asked my question in a rather humble manner. I'm sorry I didn't review the last 783 posts to see if my question was answered. How, exactly, should I search for that? I know that the goal here is not to repeat a single item. I realize that the TV being on or off didn't matter. I just mentioned that in case somebody at the sub-graduate level might think it important.

Thank you for your answer, Foxbat!
post #787 of 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by alnilam1 View Post

I thought I asked my question in a rather humble manner. I'm sorry I didn't review the last 783 posts to see if my question was answered.

If you read the manual on the remote buttons & then the pages on internet media playback, you would have had your answer. not sure this finally got to Foxbat or not but it could be a contributing factor in his reply.

It's not the humbleness of how you asked, it's the fact that so many are coming here for free help desk support on simple basic setup tasks when the answer is staring them right in the face, if they bothered to do 10 min of reading the manual rolleyes.gif some people are more technically challenged than others but if you're using Pandora, somehow I don't think you're one of them wink.gif

The fact that your "issue" has been asked & answered so many times and it's always the same thing....owners not bothering the read...maybe then we can be forgiven for being a little "short" in our reply. Those of us with lots of Pioneer experience are willing & able to help hundreds here with problems but when hundreds of brand new forum members come here because they don't read basic instructions, well, you get the idea, it can get to you.

and the problem seems to be getting more prevalent.

now, if you do read a manual & still can't figure out how to do something or having problems making it work, that's different...manuals do not always describe things in easy to understand language. or you have to interpret them sometimes. but what Foxbat told you is adequately described in your manual in simple terms.

remote buttons - try pg 12 which refers you to pg 79, 47 for more details. Pandora - go directly to page 61, 1st paragraph. here, I'll even show you - I don't even own this model & I found it in about 5 minutes.

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

it's nothing personal, I assure you.
Edited by ss9001 - 5/14/13 at 3:35am
post #788 of 1713
No music info on Display when using AIRPLAY. I get music and the screen reads "connected to network" but i get no track info like I did w/ my VSX 1121k. Any advice? tks
post #789 of 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmo69 View Post

No music info on Display when using AIRPLAY. I get music and the screen reads "connected to network" but i get no track info like I did w/ my VSX 1121k. Any advice? tks

This one is not obvious from looking at the online manual or the interactive one on the CD.

There is a button on the remote, labeled Auto Sound Retriever / DISP. The DISP is for display. When you press that button, the receiver front panel will scroll through song title, album name, volume, etc and return to song title. The OSD on the TV, however, will remain unchanged & should display all the info about the album, song, etc. If you aren't getting any OSD on a TV, then you have something else going with the hookup to the TV. OSD will be by HDMI connection. The use of the Display button for networked media, Airplay is not described in the manual, but you are meant to imply its use from reading the description in the Airplay section of the manual, both interactive & pdf version, displaying track, album info is mentioned but the use of the remote is not frown.gif Pioneer screwed up on that one, because there is no description for using the DISP button in the manual at all, just using it for the Sound Retrieval function. The button does both duties depending on whether you hit RECEIVER or NET first, or use Airplay.

If hitting the button DISP doesn't get your song title to appear on the front panel of the receiver, then I can't help you any further. It works just as I described on my SC-68.
post #790 of 1713
After reading (and rereading, and rereading) the pdf manual, I'm still not certain how to simply set my 1522 to pass-through my video signal from my Oppo 103. The Oppo already has a chip, and outputs an excellent signal through either hdmi 1 or 2 (I'm currently using hdmi 2). Does anyone have a setting I can use to do so? I've tried using the Video Parameter button on the remote, but it's not clear which setting does what. PureCinema reads, in the directions, like a 24fps setting. Thanks in advance.
post #791 of 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by 117olddude View Post

After reading (and rereading, and rereading) the pdf manual, I'm still not certain how to simply set my 1522 to pass-through my video signal from my Oppo 103. The Oppo already has a chip, and outputs an excellent signal through either hdmi 1 or 2 (I'm currently using hdmi 2). Does anyone have a setting I can use to do so? I've tried using the Video Parameter button on the remote, but it's not clear which setting does what. PureCinema reads, in the directions, like a 24fps setting. Thanks in advance.
There are more settings described on Pages 72-74 (& 27) of the manual, but bascially you need to:
-On remote, press receiver button.
-Select Video Parameter
-Set V.CONV to OFF

Unless you mean how to set what HDMI input is being passed-through (or sent) to the HDMI out of the receiver, which is a different answer entirely.
Edited by Pioneer_Elte - 5/14/13 at 9:50am
post #792 of 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by 117olddude View Post

After reading (and rereading, and rereading) the pdf manual, I'm still not certain how to simply set my 1522 to pass-through my video signal from my Oppo 103. The Oppo already has a chip

Pioneer_Elte has you covered smile.gif

Both Pioneer & Oppo use the Marvell Qdeo chip. The one in the Oppo & Pioneer top SC models is the latest, best version. I'm not sure & Pioneer doesn't specify if the Qdeo chip in the 1522 is the same generation as the one in the SC-68/67 models or the previous one.

Even if they are the same chip version, processing the signal twice is unnecessary and can, in some cases, potentially degrade the video quality. unless there are some specific settings that you'd like to use that the Pioneer has that the Oppo doesn't, the best bet is to turn the video processor in the Pioneer off so it's a true bypass. Let the Qdeo in the Oppo do the work smile.gif
post #793 of 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

Pioneer_Elte has you covered smile.gif

Both Pioneer & Oppo use the Marvell Qdeo chip. The one in the Oppo & Pioneer top SC models is the latest, best version. I'm not sure & Pioneer doesn't specify if the Qdeo chip in the 1522 is the same generation as the one in the SC-68/67 models or the previous one.

I would bet that the Oppo 103 Qdeo chip build is newer and better than the 1522 Qdeo chip. My basis is comparing the upconverting capabilites of both units. The Oppo 103 can upscale to 4k while the 1522 only allows 4k pass-through. If they were the same chip, then there would be no reason why the 1522 would not take advantage of the 4k up-scaling capabilites, especially from a marketing standpoint. However from an engineering design/cost view, since you're only using the HD-upscaling they probably use (recycled) the same programming code (unless there were some bugs in the older code or some great improvements were developed between software builds).

For what you're using it for (1080p), they probably will have the same end result but you'll only want to use one as using them both may cause more problems then solutions.
Edited by Pioneer_Elte - 5/14/13 at 10:13am
post #794 of 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

It's not the humbleness of how you asked, it's the fact that so many are coming here for free help desk support on simple basic setup tasks when the answer is staring them right in the face, if they bothered to do 10 min of reading the manual rolleyes.gif some people are more technically challenged than others but if you're using Pandora, somehow I don't think you're one of them wink.gif

The fact that your "issue" has been asked & answered so many times and it's always the same thing....owners not bothering the read...maybe then we can be forgiven for being a little "short" in our reply. Those of us with lots of Pioneer experience are willing & able to help hundreds here with problems but when hundreds of brand new forum members come here because they don't read basic instructions, well, you get the idea, it can get to you.

and the problem seems to be getting more prevalent.


Look, the manual can be kind of a slog to get through....I've had a couple of issues in my first week of 1522 ownership that I diligently tried to search for in the manual, and had trouble finding. Turns out it was there, but very much buried, and not worded in a way that made the search easy. The AVS forums are an invaluable resource. If I spend several minutes looking for something in the manual and have trouble discerning the answer, I'm happy that I can come to this forum and ask for help. But nothing will turn me off from the forum faster than a self-proclaimed expert that spends more time berating people for not figuring stuff out for themselves than actually helping people with issues. I agree that there are occasional posters that clearly shouldn't even be dealing with this kind of equipment, and that haven't spent two minutes perusing the manual...but those are few and far between. What I mostly see if intelligent folks who have tried to figure something out, but just missed it somewhere along the line. Relax and cut them some slack.....and help them out. Or ignore them. But don't launch a five-paragraph harangue where you look over your reading glasses at all these clueless newbies that are crashing the party of long-time Pioneer experts. We get it; you're smarter than us and all the answers exist in the English-as-a-second-language 123-page manual or in the 700+ posts.

Anyway, sorry....I just know that in my process of discovering how to work with my new receiver, I might (strike that...*will*) ask a dumb question, or one that's been asked but I missed it somewhere in the 27 pages of posts, and I hope I'll get some help rather than a lecture.

Now, can somebody tell me how to plug my 1522 into the electric plug thingy in the wall? tongue.gif
post #795 of 1713
Yep- I only want to use one chip, and not over process. So i've chosen to use the Oppo chip (non-Qdeo) out of hdmi 2 (which I can't turn off). So I want to turn off the chip in the Pioneer. I had found the Video Parameter>Video Conversion Off, just wanted to make sure that was the correct setting. Since it seems to be the case, thanks for the help. smile.gif
post #796 of 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgx View Post

Now, can somebody tell me how to plug my 1522 into the electric plug thingy in the wall? tongue.gif

First, read page 2 of the manual in the box below Operating Environment. Aside from that, Pioneer dropped the ball on the rest of the instructions, so follow the steps below.

(1) Get one roll of premium grade aluminum foil (more if you have helpers). (2) Construct a nice helmet (please watch endure the movie Signs for design ideas). (3) While avoiding standing puddles of water, firmly grasp the plug in your hand and gently insert plug into appropriate receptacle taking note that the polarized spade is being inserted into the wider slot of the outlet.

NOTE: If you are using an Apple electrical outlet, please visit your local Apple store and buy the $50 adapter that allows you to plug a standard electrical outlet plug into their proprietary outlet configuration.

I'm not trying to make fun of anyone at all, I'm just trying to lighten the mood of this thread!
Edited by Pioneer_Elte - 5/14/13 at 11:42am
post #797 of 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by 117olddude View Post

Yep- I only want to use one chip, and not over process. So i've chosen to use the Oppo chip (non-Qdeo) out of hdmi 2 (which I can't turn off). So I want to turn off the chip in the Pioneer. I had found the Video Parameter>Video Conversion Off, just wanted to make sure that was the correct setting. Since it seems to be the case, thanks for the help. smile.gif
A quick test, which is up to you, would be to turn the video conversion of both units off and test a DVD. Your TV should show it's getting a 480i/p signal (on my TV, I press the Display button on the TV remote). Then turn the video upconversion on, on whichever unit you want, and try the DVD again. Now your TV should show 1080p.

Hopefully your TV won't upscale the incoming signal and ruin this check.
post #798 of 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by 117olddude View Post

Yep- I only want to use one chip, and not over process. So i've chosen to use the Oppo chip (non-Qdeo) out of hdmi 2 (which I can't turn off). So I want to turn off the chip in the Pioneer. I had found the Video Parameter>Video Conversion Off, just wanted to make sure that was the correct setting. Since it seems to be the case, thanks for the help. smile.gif

I've seen it suggested both ways and I elected to do the same thing: use the non-QDEO output of the Oppo and leave processing on in the Pioneer. That way other sources that pass through the Pioneer will get the benefit (? still wondering about this) of QDEO without switching every time. I have a hard time seeing the difference in any case but I'm going with the theory.
post #799 of 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgx View Post

Now, can somebody tell me how to plug my 1522 into the electric plug thingy in the wall? tongue.gif

LOL biggrin.gif
excellent come back, I admit.

If you know my posting history, you'll know that not just me but many of us early adopters of Pioneer's Ice and new class D amp receivers have helped many folks over many years with many Pioneer receivers.

I'm not a self-proclaimed expert, but I have done a whole lot of homework on these receivers, have done an international email campaign for the original Ice amp receiver, the $7000 SC-09, to try to convince Pioneer to provide a pay-for upgrade, have ongoing communications with a head person at Pioneer on behalf of Pioneer enthusiasts on the AVSForum. I have owned 4 Pio flagship receivers, from $4000 to $7000 each, and started 2 of the owner threads for the SC models, was one of the 1st in the US with the original SC-09. And yes, I'm bragging a bit for many of us enthusiasts who've been in these threads for years wink.gif I do all this so I can learn the guts of what makes them work for my own benefit & to be able to help others. and due to efforts by some of us, many have been saved from taking theirs back to the dealer or to a service center when an error pops up.

you're coming in with 32 posts so you don't know some of us "old timers". so maybe if I cut the newcomers some slack, maybe you can cut me some too wink.gif

Thanks & I have no wish to offend. just stating that Foxbat's reaction can be forgiven since the very same question has been asked many times on using the NET button on the remote for internet uses.

If you need help on something, hopefully I or someone else can help you. And yes, I do think all new owners should spend time with the manual. I don't apologize for that in the least.

How do you think some of us became "self-proclaimed experts"? rolleyes.gif some of us have had to "slog" our way through these manuals to be able to help people like you! rolleyes.gif so why is that OK to save you from having to do it? over many years, I've read not just Pioneer manuals but those from Denon, Yamaha, Lexicon, Anthem, all kinds of gear I don't own or ever will own. just so I know how Pioneer stacks up.

why don't you step up? provide help nearly every day for 10 yrs, spending hrs every week here. try things out on your own setup just so you can help someone with a problem. yes, I've done that, too.

are you willing to do that? or are you just posting only when you are in trouble?

I've thought about taking a leave of absence from these threads.

let some of you takers of free "resources" give some of yourselves to this forum. are you going to be one of them? or just sit on the sidelines & use our "resources"? just asking.
Edited by ss9001 - 5/14/13 at 5:51pm
post #800 of 1713
It seems it has become more difficult to search the prior responses to individual threads.
As I recall AVSFORUM used to allow searching inside each thread. To my knowledge you can no longer do this. You can only search the entire AVSFORUM site. Am I wrong?
If this is the case then that is way we may be getting a lot of repeated questions.
post #801 of 1713
Whoops! It looks as if they moved the "search this thread" to the very bottom and top in small font!
My bad.
post #802 of 1713
The Oppo is set to 1080p. BDs look overprocessed with both chips working (from hdmi 1 out of the Oppo, which IS Qdeo). When coming out of hdmi 2 on the Oppo, a different chip is at work. It looks pretty good even with the receiver chip ON. I've been playing with it OFF, just to see, and am now trying the Oppo back on hdmi 1 with the receiver chip OFF, just to compare. Many in the Oppo community seem to feel the hdmi 2 out is better for upconversion of SD. There is also some discussion about the Oppo Qdeo chip from hdmi 1 being a bit soft.

I was just looking here to be sure that my interpretation of the manual>Video Conversion OFF was correct. Thanks for all the thoughts/theories/help. smile.gif
post #803 of 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer_Elte View Post

First, read page 2 of the manual in the box below Operating Environment. Aside from that, Pioneer dropped the ball on the rest of the instructions, so follow the steps below.

(1) Get one roll of premium grade aluminum foil (more if you have helpers). (2) Construct a nice helmet (please watch endure the movie Signs for design ideas). (3) While avoiding standing puddles of water, firmly grasp the plug in your hand and gently insert plug into appropriate receptacle taking note that the polarized spade is being inserted into the wider slot of the outlet.

NOTE: If you are using an Apple electrical outlet, please visit your local Apple store and buy the $50 adapter that allows you to plug a standard electrical outlet plug into their proprietary outlet configuration.

I'm not trying to make fun of anyone at all, I'm just trying to lighten the mood of this thread!

that is funny! good un! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

and sorry if I took the thread to the Dark Side wink.gif
post #804 of 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsufootball View Post

It seems it has become more difficult to search the prior responses to individual threads.
As I recall AVSFORUM used to allow searching inside each thread. To my knowledge you can no longer do this. You can only search the entire AVSFORUM site. Am I wrong?
If this is the case then that is way we may be getting a lot of repeated questions.

interesting you mention this. since the re-design of the site, the search functionality has not been quite as good as it used to be with the old site design.
post #805 of 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by 117olddude View Post

I was just looking here to be sure that my interpretation of the manual>Video Conversion OFF was correct. Thanks for all the thoughts/theories/help. smile.gif

it is smile.gif

and until the SC-37 generation, Pioneer didn't allow the video processor to be used for HDMI sources. it was only for analog component, composite, S-video. their philosophy was that video processing should take place in the player or the display. that was back when they made the Kuro plasmas which had (and still have) reference picture quality. "do no harm" was the idea.

Pioneer eventually bowed to competitive pressure & put the video converter/scaler in the HDMI signal path. I like all the capabilities as much as anyone, but there was something to be said for their original approach smile.gif

fwiw - I turn the video processor off for all HD HDMI sources so the receiver is a bypass. Every BD player I have (2 Pioneer & 1 Oppo 93) have Qdeo processors. some owners want to tinker or use it with "lesser" sources. but I also have experienced the over-processed look so I choose to leave it off. I do sometimes tweak it in the player for some DVD's that have artifacting or noise but never with Blu-rays.
post #806 of 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by alnilam1 View Post

I've seen it suggested both ways and I elected to do the same thing: use the non-QDEO output of the Oppo and leave processing on in the Pioneer. That way other sources that pass through the Pioneer will get the benefit (? still wondering about this) of QDEO without switching every time. I have a hard time seeing the difference in any case but I'm going with the theory.

that's not a bad idea.

just thought I'd throw this in & maybe you know this already...

you can have the receiver's processor turned on for 1 source but turned off for another. and the processor settings can be different for each source.
post #807 of 1713
The Oppo 103 DOES have a chip in hdmi 2, just not the Qdeo. That's why I wanted to pass the video signal through. Though I must say that running the Oppo hdmi 2 signal through the Pioneer with the Pioneer's chip engaged was quite pleasant looking- unlike with Oppo's hdmi 1 output. I just watched a movie with Oppo's hdmi 1/Qdeo into the Pioneer with its chip off (V Processing>OFF) and it looked quite good. Not as... smooth... as with hdmi 2, but I think I need to do more comparisons. Funny, when I bought the receiver I thought I would spend more time with getting the sound right. That was relatively easy. Just goes to show.
post #808 of 1713
Can someone please help me with these 2 questions? I've read the manual, and gone through the IPAD app and the onscreen GUI, but can't seem to locate.

1. Is it possible to adjust the crossover frequency in increments other than 50Hz at a time? I've got energy take classics with response at 110 and 115hz, and a sub that goes up to 140hz. But, it looks like I can only adjust the crossover at 100, 150, 200Hz ,etc..

2. Where do you change the audio sync? My sound comes out before the person is speaking by a bit, and it is mildly annoying...

Thanks!
post #809 of 1713
I just purchased this receiver. It replaces a Denon 5.1 unit from 2001. That unit had no HDMI inputs, they were not out yet, so you can see the jump in tech I am making. For any individuals with this receiver, any setup suggestions for someone who has not had a new receiver for 12 years? Is the iphone app worth it?

Also, when my receiver was out, it was only Dolby Digital and DTS, like plain DTS. Now I'm seeing DOlby True HD, DTS HD, DTS Neo x etc. Are all of these on blu-ray disks and it just takes a receiver that has those to use them? Are they worth it over Dolby Digital and plain DTS etc? That stuff is all new to me.

I am running some old but solid 5.1 energy speakers, no room for a 7.1 setup yet. If that even matters smile.gif
post #810 of 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemtn View Post

Can someone please help me with these 2 questions? I've read the manual, and gone through the IPAD app and the onscreen GUI, but can't seem to locate.

1. Is it possible to adjust the crossover frequency in increments other than 50Hz at a time? I've got energy take classics with response at 110 and 115hz, and a sub that goes up to 140hz. But, it looks like I can only adjust the crossover at 100, 150, 200Hz ,etc..

2. Where do you change the audio sync? My sound comes out before the person is speaking by a bit, and it is mildly annoying...

Thanks!

no, on crossover choices, what you see is what you get. no different than any other normal receiver. the only way you'll get that fine of control over crossover freq is with a high priced prepro like the Anthem. other AVR makes may give you a few more choices & independent crossover per channel options but with Pioneer, you get a global crossover and the choices you see.

on audio sync, go into the Audio Parameters menu by remote button and you'll find A. Delay there. and btw- it's on pg 71 in your manual.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › *Official* Pioneer SC-1522 9.2 Network ready AV receiver owners thread