or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

White House Down

post #1 of 97
Thread Starter 
For those fans who can't get enough of the 'destroy the White House' genre can now look forward to White House Down.


post #2 of 97
Continuing the trend of two different movies or TV shows about the same thing premiering at about the same time. Remember the two volcano movies? The two asteroid movies? On the tube this year there were two serial-killer-cult series. And those are just the ones that come immediately off the top of my head. It's uncanny how often that happens.
post #3 of 97
I CANNOT take Channing Tatum seriously in anything other than bubblegum rom-coms. He seriously lacks the range to carry anything more substantial than a stoner b-boy. I will wait to see this on cable - which is what most of the Emmerich helmers have become lately.
post #4 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Continuing the trend of two different movies or TV shows about the same thing premiering at about the same time. Remember the two volcano movies? The two asteroid movies? On the tube this year there were two serial-killer-cult series. And those are just the ones that come immediately off the top of my head. It's uncanny how often that happens.

What happens in a lot of these is that studios have literally thousands of projects sitting around in development hell, with only a few destined to ever get the greenlight. Inevitably, there will be very similar (if not outright clones of each other) scripts and projects at all the studios that just need a final push to get going.

Sometimes it's a coincidence, but a lot of times it's "I just got wind that Global World Studios is fasttracking Giant Cockroach Movie for a summer 2014 release. Since we have Giant Earwig Movie under option, we should push that one through and try to eat their lunch." And so both get released around the same time, hoping to capitalize on each other's buzz.

Then some companies like The Asylum will see a big project by Universal or whoever on the horizon, go into overdrive and put out a movie with some 80s pop star/B-actor and some quick and dirty CGI and release it. Since their films cost 10 cents to make, they're pretty much guaranteed a profit just by sopping up the scraps of the major release.
post #5 of 97
I'd like to express my thanks to the top of the movie poster for reminding me to avoid this.
post #6 of 97
Thread Starter 
You're welcome.
post #7 of 97
Must be "predictive programming." Of course with a Roland Emmerich film you can be assured that it will end "happily ever after." biggrin.gif
post #8 of 97
new trailer up...this looks better than Olympus has fallen if you ask me. And it's about time somebody used Led Zep's "Rock n Roll" in an action film
[/quote]
Edited by zoey67 - 5/2/13 at 11:12pm
post #9 of 97
Thread Starter 
Looks to have more humor which hopefully is a good thing. smile.gif
post #10 of 97
It's going to be very interesting and I very much look forward to seeing both these White house action movies and access how they rank up. So far WHD looks better than OHF, BUT I would think the dir of OHF who's done stuff like Training Day and Tears of the Sun which are both very similar action films to run circles around Roland Emmerich.

Right now with just the trailer to go by, WHD looks like the superior movie but we'll find out for sure in a few months. I'll be the 1st to breakdown the 2 films and announce the winner.
post #11 of 97
Oh snappers, Richard Roeper just gave WHD an F. He gave Fast Furious 6 an A- so don't know what to say about that except I hope it's not not bad.
post #12 of 97
Well, the fourth of July is coming up so of course they have to come up with something like this. It seems pretty generic to me, but I'm pretty sure a lot of people will go to see it just because of Channing Tatum.
post #13 of 97
Per The Dallas Observer, it's a great spoof of action movies, like Team America: World Police:

http://www.dallasobserver.com/2013-06-27/film/white-house-down-is-the-best-parody-since-team-america/
post #14 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

Oh snappers, Richard Roeper just gave WHD an F. He gave Fast Furious 6 an A- so don't know what to say about that except I hope it's not not bad.

Let's pretend that Mr Roeper even has a straight face watching or reviewing a Roland Emmerich film.

It's a Roland Emmerich Movie. All reviews should just say "It's a Roland Emmerich Movie" End Of Review

wink.gif
post #15 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss View Post

Per The Dallas Observer, it's a great spoof of action movies, like Team America: World Police:

I've read this claim that it's a parody of big dumb action movies in a couple of reviews, but I don't buy it. I just don't think that Roland Emmerich is that self-aware. You can't spend a whole career making big dumb action movies, and then make another big dumb action movie indistinguishable from all the rest, and claim that it's a parody of big dumb action movies.

That's kind of like Tommy Wiseau making a parody of "The Room." How could anyone tell?
post #16 of 97
I'm Jamie Foxx'd out after Django. The trailer for this makes me cringe and I like a few of RE's movies.
post #17 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

I'm Jamie Foxx'd out after Django. The trailer for this makes me cringe and I like a few of RE's movies.

I like him, but I think it's a very odd choice for the president of the United States! In Olympus Has Fallen, we had Aaron Eckhaart and Morgan Freeman... Foxx is a nice guy, but he doesn't have the stature of the president - maybe later, but not now. And Tatum doesn't do much for me... Based on the trailers only, Olympus Has Fallen is arguably a better film (and it was indeed very intense!). White House Down maybe will prove that releasing two identical movies the same year is still not too bright...
post #18 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

I like him, but I think it's a very odd choice for the president of the United States! In Olympus Has Fallen, we had Aaron Eckhaart and Morgan Freeman... Foxx is a nice guy, but he doesn't have the stature of the president - maybe later, but not now. And Tatum doesn't do much for me... Based on the trailers only, Olympus Has Fallen is arguably a better film (and it was indeed very intense!). White House Down maybe will prove that releasing two identical movies the same year is still not too bright...

Both releasing in the same year is proof of The Matrix being real and using AMD and Nvidia graphics cards.
post #19 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Both releasing in the same year is proof of The Matrix being real and using AMD and Nvidia graphics cards.

LOL! As long as they have enough vram to handle Monica Bellucci in hi res, hand me that blue pill thank you tongue.gif
post #20 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

LOL! As long as they have enough vram to handle Monica Bellucci in hi res, hand me that blue pill thank you tongue.gif
Upgrading the cards are why we see so many reboots and remakes.
post #21 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Upgrading the cards are why we see so many reboots and remakes.

it's just that when I see mention of "the Matrix" the first things that come to my mind are "I know Kung-Fu" and Monica... ...how about integrated graphics? wink.gif


...okay back to White House Down, it looks like it's gonna be somewhat of a disappointment in terms of box office numbers... Even below 30 million... I guess that type of movies (patriotic, pro U.S blah blah blah, just like Olymus Has Fallen actually) are harder to sell overseas so things don't look too good for WHD right now...
post #22 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

it's just that when I see mention of "the Matrix" the first things that come to my mind are "I know Kung-Fu" and Monica... ...how about integrated graphics? wink.gif


...okay back to White House Down, it looks like it's gonna be somewhat of a disappointment in terms of box office numbers... Even below 30 million... I guess that type of movies (patriotic, pro U.S blah blah blah, just like Olymus Has Fallen actually) are harder to sell overseas so things don't look too good for WHD right now...

I read it was a "parody" but it sure wasn't sold that way. Looked like a buddy cop flick, which is fine.
post #23 of 97
If I see this movie I hope I can forget it as fast as Hillery forgets her political shenanigans.
post #24 of 97
Sounds like "a renter" to me. $1.06 BD at Redbox with discount coupon.
post #25 of 97
Bomb is the word being used the past few hours as it fails to earn even middle of the road figures at the box office. Ouch. OLYMPUS stole their thunder.
post #26 of 97
If one has already seen Olympus Has Fallen, then there is no need to see White House Down on a big screen. White House Down has fine technical values in terms of production, special effects, etc, but IMHO is not nearly as entertaining as The Heat.
post #27 of 97
Thread Starter 
Saw it yesterday with the family. We all enjoyed it. It was exactly what we were expecting, a big budget popcorn summer-time movie.

6 word review would be - Die Hard in the White House. Same type of humor. No it's not a spoof, no it's not a bomb.

It's just as preposterous as Olympus Has Fallen, if you're looking for something reality based you're in the wrong genre.

If you'd just as soon wait for the Blu-ray release that's fine too. It will be just as enjoyable in your home theater.
post #28 of 97
I plan on seeing both no matter what...BUT here's my only catch-22.

I like the combo of Foxx/Tatum much more than Butler/Eckhart. However, I like A Fuqua films much more than R Emmerich's films. So of course I would have much preferred Foxx/Tatum to work with Fuqua in either movie OHF or WHD, in fact I'm very surprised that didn't happen.
post #29 of 97
won't watch it for 2 reasons: 1) I read Transfer of Power by Vince Flynn and it won't be as good, 2) can't see Jamie Foxx as "Mr. President".
post #30 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

no it's not a bomb.
Well, actually, it is a bomb. A huge financial turkey that will cost Sony dearly.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home