or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 53

post #1561 of 3149
correction to earlier post, the signal is analog so would iview tuner even work?
post #1562 of 3149
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrw2 View Post

More on the FreeMake video hits. The Malwarebyte log below show the hits. I always opt out of any add-ons but I remember not being able to opt-out on something that I thought was a sneaky add-on. These are resent installations and perhaps older installations were free of it. Just be aware.

Files Detected: 2
C:\Users\Dell\AppData\Local\Temp\FreemakeVideoConverter_4.0.3.2.exe (PUP.Optional.OpenCandy) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Downloads\FreemakeVideoConverterSetup.exe (PUP.Optional.OpenCandy) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Ok... it's not that FreeMake itself has a virus. It's the "OpenCandy" crap that is part of a toolbar that you opted to install along with the Freemake program.

From what I gather OpenCandy is not a destructive virus. Just a form of intrusive malware or adware for information gathering related to advertising.

One has to be extremely vigilant these days when installing any software. Read and understand every page presented to you during the install process.
I've seen where some pages look like you are ending the entire install process if you click Cancel. Where in fact, you are just cancelling out of the additional crap being installed. You never want to do the "Normal Install" Always use the "Custom" install and make sure you know what is happening.
It's not just the small software venders that are using these tactics. I've seen this with some of the major players as well. The "ASK.com Toolbar" is one that you see all the time. We also has to make sure that the newly installed program does not change the file associations or any default "Home Pages". or "Search Engines".
.
.
.
post #1563 of 3149
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickle2 View Post

Ok... it's not that FreeMake itself has a virus. It's the "OpenCandy" crap that is part of a toolbar that you opted to install along with the Freemake program.

From what I gather OpenCandy is not a destructive virus. Just a form of intrusive malware or adware for information gathering related to advertising.

One has to be extremely vigilant these days when installing any software. Read and understand every page presented to you during the install process.
I've seen where some pages look like you are ending the entire install process if you click Cancel. Where in fact, you are just cancelling out of the additional crap being installed. You never want to do the "Normal Install" Always use the "Custom" install and make sure you know what is happening.
It's not just the small software venders that are using these tactics. I've seen this with some of the major players as well. The "ASK.com Toolbar" is one that you see all the time. We also has to make sure that the newly installed program does not change the file associations or any default "Home Pages". or "Search Engines".
.
.
.
I am always careful about this, as I mentioned I can remember seeing an option listed that I thought was a sneaky add-on but unable to opt out of it during the "FreeMake Video Conversion" install.


Quote "From what I gather OpenCandy is not a destructive virus. Just a form of intrusive malware or adware for information gathering related to advertising. "

Glad I got rid of the suckers anyway.smile.gif

.
post #1564 of 3149
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenreaper9 View Post

correction to earlier post, the signal is analog so would iview tuner even work?

No
post #1565 of 3149
Regarding greenreaper9's question about using the iView 3500 with his dorm supplied TV connection:
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenreaper9 View Post

it says that the dorm room connection is digital based on that what do i do from there?

correction to earlier post, the signal is analog so would iview tuner even work?

You still don't have enough information. Not to likely that all the TV being provide is the old analog type. Unless it is all being generated and broadcast soley by the university. That's rather doubtful. Also rather doubtful is that they are taking the digital Over The Air (OTA) signal and converting it to analog and distributing that to all the dorm rooms since now days all new TV's have digital tuners.

Could be t they have an in-house CATV system. (Community Antenna Television) Not "Cable TV" like most people think of these days. In this sense, the dorm might have it own antenna somewhere to serve the entire building. They would use signal amplifiers and splitters to distribute the signal to individual rooms.

If this is the case then iView 3500 would be the correct choice since you do not intend to use a Digital TV with it's own digital tuner, You'll need the iView in-between the antenna signal and your PC monitor.

Once again... you need to ascertain exactly what is being supplied to you in your dorm room.
If it's real Cable TV or Satellite and it's encrypted then the iView will not work for you.
Do others living in the dorm have to use some type of set-top box to view TV? If so, then find out if this box is supplied by Cable or Satellite company The box could be a digital to analog converter but that would only be necessary if the person was using an old analog TV. Most likely a CRT and not a flat screen TV. That is assuming they are not planning to do as you are and use your PC monitor for the computer and for viewing TV. If they connect the cable coming out of the wall directly to the back of their TV set, then you are in luck and the iView will work for you.
.
.
.
Edited by nickle2 - 8/20/13 at 9:04am
post #1566 of 3149
I work for a university that is migrating from an old cable system that was a mix of analog & digital to a system that is 100% digital and we would like to order a bunch of these boxes for students who have TVs that don't support ClearQAM. I upgraded the firmware on my iView 3500STB from the version that it shipped with (we bought it last week) to the version dated 8/12/2013 that is available on the Iview website and I am now having difficulty receiving channels that I received before. After updating the firmware, I did a factory reset and set the box to cable. Also, we are comparing this unit with the Channel Master CM-7001 and the IView seems more user friendly. The thing I really don't like about the Channel Master is A) It is much more expensive and B) It has a HD/SD button where if someone hits it, the picture blanks out and that would surely result in multiple support calls.

Here is what I noticed about the new firmware:
• If you go into the Channel Search menu and attempt to turn on “Antenna Power,” it always turns it back off. What is the purpose of this feature? The previous version allowed you to set "Antenna Power" to "on."

Here’s what I noticed on our old cable system (mixture of digital and analog):
• I was able to receive all of the digital channels with the old firmware, but was only able to receive a few channels with the new firmware
• The channels that I received were mapped properly under the new firmware. Under the old firmware, the box only identified the RF channel numbers.
• I was receiving program guide information under the new firmware, but I didn't receive it under the old firmware.
• I could receive all of the channels using the Channel Master tuner using the same cable & jack.

Here is what I noticed on our new cable system (100% digital):
• I couldn't receive any channels after scanning multiple times.
• The tuner indicates a signal strength on our RF channels when you try to do a manual scan, but it never detects the channels.
• I could receive all of the channels using the Channel Master tuner and a cheap TV using the same cable & jack

Anyway, is there a way that I could revert back to older firmware that may work better with our cable system? If so, how can I obtain the firmware.

We are under a time deadline (students move into our residence halls on Saturday) and would like to order a bunch of these units ASAP, but we want to make sure we can revert the firmware if we receive boxes with the latest firmware.
post #1567 of 3149
The answer was correct, he asked if the iView would work as the signals are analog and the answer is no.

I believe there are more all analog distribution systems out there than you may be aware of. Where we stay for the winter in Myrtle Beach, lots of the multiple condo buildings have all analog cable distributed TV.
post #1568 of 3149
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrw2 View Post

The answer was correct, he asked if the iView would work as the signals are analog and the answer is no.

I believe there are more all analog distribution systems out there than you may be aware of. Where we stay for the winter in Myrtle Beach, lots of the multiple condo buildings have all analog cable distributed TV.

You are right but he still needs to find out exactly what is being provided. And... if others require some type of STB.
He should also check to see if he can use an antenna to pull in OTA . AntennaWeb.org would be the place to check.
.
.
.
post #1569 of 3149
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrw2 View Post

The answer was correct, he asked if the iView would work as the signals are analog and the answer is no.

I believe there are more all analog distribution systems out there than you may be aware of. Where we stay for the winter in Myrtle Beach, lots of the multiple condo buildings have all analog cable distributed TV.

I agree. For $20 a month (plus fees) I can get 23 analog channels on my cable feed. The cable company has the option of dropping them at anytime of course, but they do the conversion and I have the PSIP removed from all channels.

 

All cable is local (c).

post #1570 of 3149
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickle2 View Post

You are right but he still needs to find out exactly what is being provided. And... if others require some type of STB.
He should also check to see if he can use an antenna to pull in OTA . AntennaWeb.org would be the place to check.
.
.
.

Another good one is TVfool.com
Edited by johnnyrw2 - 8/20/13 at 10:42am
post #1571 of 3149
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickle2 View Post

Thanks!

If I remember correctly you had a problem with V7 were all you stations would disapear. Did this happen right after you installed that V7 up-date or some time afterwards?

I will re-install V3.? today. I'm wondering if i will have to wait a week or so to see if it is stable or not.
Some others have reported where certain channels have disappeared on their STB's while using V3.? ( aka V8)
I've got a feeling we have not seen the end to this STB's inherent problems.

What do we want to call this version???
Just doesn't seem right to refer to it simply as "Version 3" . If I'm not mistaken there were two other versions numbered V3. You'd think iView would name it something like V3.03 I'm sure they think is that if they call it Version 8 it would appear to folks that there must have been numerous problems with all previous releases.
.
.
.

I think it is V3 because there were only 3 official releases. All the others we got were not official and were for us to test via Videobruce.

Yes I had an issue that was strange and it happened with unofficial release V7. Sometimes when I turned the TV on and the Iview box there would not be any OTA TV channel reception. If I shut the IVIEW off and turned it back on the stations would magically appear. It did not happen right away but as I I was messing around switching from component to HDMI at the time and then back to component where I am now. So far no issues.
post #1572 of 3149
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickle2 View Post


You are right but he still needs to find out exactly what is being provided. And... if others require some type of STB.
He should also check to see if he can use an antenna to pull in OTA . AntennaWeb.org would be the place to check.
 

If he/she posted the location. The OTA channels can be found with http://www.silicondust.com/support/channels/ which is about 90% accurate. That assumes he/she can even use an antenna. Going OTA would be a great solution.

post #1573 of 3149
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

If he/she posted the location. The OTA channels can be found with http://www.silicondust.com/support/channels/ which is about 90% accurate. That assumes he/she can even use an antenna. Going OTA would be a great solution.

Joe, check out tvfool.com when you have time, great website.
post #1574 of 3149
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsk View Post

I work for a university that is migrating from an old cable system that was a mix of analog & digital to a system that is 100% digital and we would like to order a bunch of these boxes for students who have TVs that don't support ClearQAM. I upgraded the firmware on my iView 3500STB from the version that it shipped with (we bought it last week) to the version dated 8/12/2013 that is available on the Iview website and I am now having difficulty receiving channels that I received before. After updating the firmware, I did a factory reset and set the box to cable. Also, we are comparing this unit with the Channel Master CM-7001 and the IView seems more user friendly. The thing I really don't like about the Channel Master is A) It is much more expensive and B) It has a HD/SD button where if someone hits it, the picture blanks out and that would surely result in multiple support calls....

Anyway, is there a way that I could revert back to older firmware that may work better with our cable system? If so, how can I obtain the firmware.

We are under a time deadline (students move into our residence halls on Saturday) and would like to order a bunch of these units ASAP, but we want to make sure we can revert the firmware if we receive boxes with the latest firmware.

I've got copies of V4, V6, and V7 firmware. V6 may be the best for QAM. I'm not certain given I don't use QAM. P.M. me if you want a copy.
post #1575 of 3149
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickle2 View Post

Thanks! We receive the same OTA. I have not come across any EPG listings that were more than 2 pages on content. if you see this regularly let me know what stations this is on.

Having detailed EPG program descriptions is a very important feature for me.
The HmWrx STB does not provide as much EPG information, even though it is available. A major draw back.

Right now I am having a serious problem with the latest firmware release.
.
.
.

to get more than 2 EPG pages, I turn on channel 2.1 at 12:01 am(mid night) and wait for couple of minutes for 24hr EPG on the left panel. The EPG will be 24 hours, total 3 pages.
Usually I use time base recording, I have not use EPG extensively yet.
post #1576 of 3149
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrw2 View Post


Joe, check out tvfool.com when you have time, great website.

Thanks, great web site, but it's too depressing. The strongest "local" signal level is -78db. Maybe I could erect a 1000' tower. [joke]

post #1577 of 3149
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsk View Post

I work for a university that is migrating from an old cable system that was a mix of analog & digital to a system that is 100% digital and we would like to order a bunch of these boxes for students who have TVs that don't support ClearQAM. I upgraded the firmware on my iView 3500STB from the version that it shipped with (we bought it last week) to the version dated 8/12/2013 that is available on the Iview website and I am now having difficulty receiving channels that I received before. After updating the firmware, I did a factory reset and set the box to cable. Also, we are comparing this unit with the Channel Master CM-7001 and the IView seems more user friendly. The thing I really don't like about the Channel Master is A) It is much more expensive and B) It has a HD/SD button where if someone hits it, the picture blanks out and that would surely result in multiple support calls.
 

While the initial price for the iView may be low, the ROI for many units may not be worth the savings. Consider that an older CRT analog set uses several times the electricity and generates more heat, I wonder if just buying small LED and even LCD sets might be cheaper in the long run. You would not have to worry about updates, I doubt there will be tuning problems, and you will get a full 16:9 display.

post #1578 of 3149
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickle2 View Post

Thanks!

If I remember correctly you had a problem with V7 were all you stations would disapear. Did this happen right after you installed that V7 up-date or some time afterwards?

I will re-install V3.? today. I'm wondering if i will have to wait a week or so to see if it is stable or not.
Some others have reported where certain channels have disappeared on their STB's while using V3.? ( aka V8)
I've got a feeling we have not seen the end to this STB's inherent problems.

What do we want to call this version???
Just doesn't seem right to refer to it simply as "Version 3" . If I'm not mistaken there were two other versions numbered V3. You'd think iView would name it something like V3.03 I'm sure they think is that if they call it Version 8 it would appear to folks that there must have been numerous problems with all previous releases.
.
.
.

Wondering if maybe you want to try switching to a different version or to the Homeworx fw instead of reinstalling the same version. I know you like the new EPG in this current version, but it may help narrow down where the problem is coming from if you switch back. Of course since it took 6 days for it to show up for you, it's hard to tell how long to wait to determine if there is not a problem on a particular version. Anyway, I'm switching back to Homeworx in a few minutes - problems on the iview software have gotten too frustrating. If iView puts out another (not holding my breath) I'll try that again. Also, maybe you want to refer to the current firmware version as the 8/6/13 version since that is the date on it. I don't really care - just an option.
post #1579 of 3149
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

While the initial price for the iView may be low, the ROI for many units may not be worth the savings.
The ROI on products purchased by the consumer is zero!
The purchase price is an expenditure for a item that depreciates, not an investment that can produce income (i.e the "return").
You seem to be referring to the total cost of ownership, not ROI.

Regards
post #1580 of 3149
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsk View Post

I work for a university that is migrating from an old cable system that was a mix of analog & digital to a system that is 100% digital and we would like to order a bunch of these boxes for students who have TVs that don't support ClearQAM.
You would probably be better off buying the Homeworx in bulk instead of the iView. The latest Homeworx firmware should support ClearQAM, and it's generally more stable than the iView's. I'd hate to think of the tech support nightmare you'd have on campus if you saddled everyone with one of these things.
post #1581 of 3149
On 8-17 I received my new 3500STB, with v7 firmware and the small gray remote that includes a “–“ button.

I agree that the 3500STB is more suitable for a hobbyist than someone like a non-hobbyist widow that wants something to replace her cable company-supplied STB, that she can plug it and it will work, like a $300+ unit (not comparing it to a HomeWorx unit,), at least to set up. The information in the user’s manual is quite skimpy – e.g., the combination of settings necessary to get a successful manual scan with a cable input. Initially with v7 I think I got channel at the right frequency, but later it required signal input to be set on Pass-Thru. (I know what channel/frequency combination to look for, from my LCD HDTV digital channel information.)

After an initial set-up and manual scan with the initial v7 firmware, I upgraded to v3, and found out that any manual scan was not added to the list of channels, so I went back to v7 and was successful adding channels. NOTE: for me, manual scan adds all virtual channels for a given physical channel, so whatever are scrambled I manually deleted. In v3 before going back to v7 I had inadvertently deleted two virtual channels that I wanted to keep, and manual scan deleted all virtual channels for that physical channel (frequency). So going back to v7 and doing a manual scan was successful. Then I upgraded back to v3.

Background note: My set-up is beside my desktop computer, sharing my 23” 1080P monitor that has only an HDMI input, no HDMI switch yet. I don’t have a suitable hard drive yet, so am exploring tuner-only features. The widow mentioned above doesn’t want recording capability. I don’t yet have the right cables and adapters/couplers to get audio to my computer speakers, so I was glad to see CC with v3 that I don’t remember seeing in v7 (maybe CC was default off).

After going back to v7 from v3 I noticed the CC was much clearer, at least for the short period that I observed it in v7. Then in v3 the CC was back to being grainy-looking.

After 24 hours or more, 3500STB (off overnight) I checked the EPG, and found no program listing. Whether cable company is supplying PSIP, I suspect that the date and time being some day in year 2011 has something to do with it, and the time is about 20 minutes off. How do I at least reset the date? If there is no way, THEN ADD MANUAL DATE to the need for adding manual time capability.

IVIEW, it is difficult to believe that you cannot add manual time adjustment! Add manual date adjustment along with time adjustment. I am sure that the firmware engineers can figure out a way!

IVIEW, will 3500STBs be available for purchase later in September with the new remote control? How will we know – will the 3500STB model number be changed to 3501 or similar? I wouldn’t want to order another one then and find out it is one from old stock (like from an Amazon.com seller).

References to firmware v3 above are to the newest version made available on 8/12/2013.
Edited by Innovadon - 8/20/13 at 4:01pm
post #1582 of 3149
We have decided that we are not going to recommend use of or support the PVR functionality of this box (which seems to be most of the problems associated with this box). We are just looking at it as a converter box, which it seems to work (at least under the original firmware). I didn't even know that it had PVR functionality until I started playing around with it. Once this is set up properly (which we would do in the student's room), it should do well as a converter box. I'm hoping that not many of our students will need one of these. We will start off with a lot of 20.

Unfortunately, we don't have time to order a Homeworx box and test it before Move in on Saturday. Long story of why we are running around at the last minute.

This box will be less of a support nightmare then telling students (especially while their parents are hovering around) that they need to buy a new TV. With the old firmware, it seemed to work OK with our new system and I don't see too many things that students would do that would result in too many support calls. Also, Evelyn has been helpful and is going to get a copy of older firmware to me to try out.
post #1583 of 3149
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

While the initial price for the iView may be low, the ROI for many units may not be worth the savings. Consider that an older CRT analog set uses several times the electricity and generates more heat, I wonder if just buying small LED and even LCD sets might be cheaper in the long run. You would not have to worry about updates, I doubt there will be tuning problems, and you will get a full 16:9 display.
Many of the TVs that we have seen so far that are incompatible with our new system are LCDs. Some of the new cheaper models only include ATSC tuners and not ClearQAM and it's difficult to find out if a given model has a ClearQAM tuner because it isn't listed in stores or even on store websites and the sales staff never heard of ClearQAM before. I suspect as cable companies move away from ClearQAM, less TVs will have the tuners.

Also, if we provided LED or LCD sets for students, they would bring their old tube TVs instead of buying a new one knowing that we would provide one for them.
post #1584 of 3149
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Initially with v7 I think I got channel at the right frequency, but later it required signal input to be set on Pass-Thru.
Pass thru is only for the RF out.
Quote:
I upgraded to v3, and found out that any manual scan was not added to the list of channels, so I went back to v7 and was successful adding channels.
Haven't seen that issue, anyone else? Due to all the encrypted virtual QAM channels, I only use the "Find channel" option instead of a scan. Saves all of those deletions. BTW, there has been three V3's wink.gif
Quote:
After 24 hours or more, 3500STB (off overnight) I checked the EPG, and found no program listing. Whether cable company is supplying PSIP, I suspect that the date and time being some day in year 2011 has something to do with it, and the time is about 20 minutes off.
Now that's a record. Blame your MSO for that one. Guide data is hit or miss. 95% of the time I don't have it, but sometimes it shows on a few select stations. Clearly a TWC problem.
Quote:
IVIEW, it is difficult to believe that you cannot add manual time adjustment! Add manual date adjustment along with time adjustment. I am sure that the firmware engineers can figure out a way!
I'm lead to believe it is a hardware issue. If so, blame Mstar. Very lame.
Edited by videobruce - 8/20/13 at 3:43pm
post #1585 of 3149
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsk View Post

Many of the TVs that we have seen so far that are incompatible with our new system are LCDs. Some of the new cheaper models only include ATSC tuners and not ClearQAM and it's difficult to find out if a given model has a ClearQAM tuner because it isn't listed in stores or even on store websites and the sales staff never heard of ClearQAM before..

The first relatively small LED TV that I looked at at walmart.com includes QAM tuner in the Specifications list:
LG 32LN530B 32" 720p 60Hz LED (3.11" ultra-slim) HDTV

My 2nd look, same website, at the Sceptre 32" Class LCD 720p 60Hz HDTV, X322BV-HD, includes a QAM tuner, in the item description.

But I like Amazoncom:
Coby LEDTV2326 23-Inch 1080p 60Hz LED HDTV/Monitor (Black), Built-in digital TV tuner (ATSC/NTSC/QAM) $149.99, cheaper than smaller ones!

Three out of 3 so far, all have QAM capability!
post #1586 of 3149
Thread Starter 
Except for some very small portable TV's just about all of them with have QAM capability. Of those three choices, I would only consider the first. The other two are basically no-names AFAIC which means no support and no service.
post #1587 of 3149
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Pass thru is only for the RF out.

Being new to the 3500STB, I was trying anything that would provide the correct channel/frequency correlation, like above channel 13, for cable channel 23, -> 219 MHZ, not UHF. Other menu selections weren't doing it for me.
post #1588 of 3149
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsk View Post


Many of the TVs that we have seen so far that are incompatible with our new system are LCDs. Some of the new cheaper models only include ATSC tuners and not ClearQAM and it's difficult to find out if a given model has a ClearQAM tuner because it isn't listed in stores or even on store websites and the sales staff never heard of ClearQAM before. I suspect as cable companies move away from ClearQAM, less TVs will have the tuners.

Also, if we provided LED or LCD sets for students, they would bring their old tube TVs instead of buying a new one knowing that we would provide one for them.

Wow! Any manufacturer you can recall with only ATSC tuners? Not being listed in the marketing data is not new. It's hard to test QAM in China.

post #1589 of 3149
What has happened to our "Full Page Editor" capabilities?

I no longer see any options for text formatting, up-loading images. creating URL links, adding happy faces, etc. on the Reply page.
There is a button to click on that's titled "Full page Editor" But it does nothing.

Anyone else notice this????
post #1590 of 3149
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrw2 View Post

Another good one is TVfool.com

Antennaweb is a miserable POS. It shows exactly 1 station for me - a full power Daystar channel that hasn't broadcast in 8 months. However, it misses all the channels from 2 translator districts as well as 2 LP channels.

TVfool is good, and I'd recommend very highly Trip Ericson's rabbitears.info
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread