It seems you've already given a good suggestion, by having the version number start with the next version from here as v10.
First of all, let me state my results on v6, thanks to Bruce for setting me up to beta test.
A little background first.
1. Initial install was with v7, scanned for all channels and deleted all scrambled channels.
2. Install v3, did not perform a factory reset. Skipped all channels on initial scan. Then manually scanned for local known OTA channels on cable that have a TVCT/CVCT. That moved those channels into an off air number assignment. Although I only got a little program information, the channel assignment, and the ability to access those channels greatly improved. If I did a full scan, the cable channels that were not local would disappear.
3. Bruce provided a copy of your new v6 firmware as betatest. I installed it today with a "layover" method- no factory reset, and did no further scans. I can't be sure he used this path, so I think that's why his results may have been different than mine. But, we are talking cable...
My first reaction was that it rebooted, loaded the firmware, but didn't reboot after installing like all other versions I tried. That worked fine.
The first thing I checked was if my non - OTA channels (without TVCT/CVCT) to see if the were still present. They were, and were also present after a reboot. So I'm good with this so far, as I expected worse!
For me, the loop thru function had stopped working since v3. It's stillnot working with v6. It loops cable for 3 seconds, and only when the iView is powered on or powered off. This worked in v7 and was handy if you want to watch one channel on your TV and record another.on the iView, or had more than one unit and wished to make more than one recording. Under v7, I thought this might be handy, and since it's active (it only worked when the unit was powered up) I thought it may be better than using a splitter, but oh well.
To answer your question on what could be improved might take some quantitative testing. My cable company (used to be Adelphia, now is Comcast) replaces the STT or some other table so that it is GMT +02 on the iView to get close, but it's also six minutes behind. The old system is fed by another Comcast cable headend, and this system still has original equipment I think. But, although my meager Sharp TV does not display the time or a guide, when a program changes the information bar displays the proper program at the proper time. So somehow, the Sharp TV is picking some immediate program information change, even though it does not have the ability to show more information than the current program. Since guide information on cable may be spotty from place to place, this may present an option. The guide information I get, although it works, is over six hours old.
Please run this by your designers, as it may be a clue how to get the clock to show the times that a program starts and we can manually align the clock.
I'm very methodical at testing, so I've not tried every function on the box. I hope this helps.
You have the toughest job of all, being on the front line. You either deserve a raise, or maybe a part of the company (if by chance you didn't start it yourself)
Edited by whatsacubit - 9/17/13 at 10:42pm