Originally Posted by rgtaa
Maybe we can ponder how to put firmware on units to make sure it installed correctly.
We don't have a process in place that is standardised.
Before we begin updating, do a factory reset and then unplug unit, and let it be unplugged 1 minute to clear anything (like we would do for modem).
Plug it in and use 4 gig stick with fat 32 to put firmware on it.
Install new firmware. Unplug unit for 1 minute.
Do a factory reset again to clear out anything from past.
I know with some equipment, unless you go through a series of steps in order, you might corrupt the firmware, or not clear out info from the past, and it doesn't work right.
Maybe there are steps that you guys can think of , so , when we put on firmware, we have no problems.
Other areas are correct way to format hard drive and tips. The thing is we don't know if someone who is having problems, just didn't flash the firmware correctly or the problem is with hard drive format.
Someone who has flashed their unit so it works , and before they flashed it, it didn't work that great. Maybe they can think of the steps they did to insure it would work. I'm just throwing out some ideas.
p.s. Maybe we can find out if there is a reset switch somewhere on unit. It could even be done by holding 2 buttons for 10 seconds, or something else to clear the unit's memory. I don't know, but I know for many devices, there is such a feature. Ipad has it, modems have it. It would be nice to have info so we can finally install the firmware so we all experience the same working firmware. If one guy has it working and the other guy doesn't. What did the guy that got it working do?
Okay, so one thing I neglected to mention is that when I initially tried all the other firmware, I immediately went to scan cable after the firmware was installed. I was unsuccessful on all available firmwares to be able to scan for QAM. I had read in a previous post that switching from cable back to antenna, scanning, and switching back was required. It also states in the 5th post of this forum that you may not necessarily need a factory reset. I also read about plugging and unplugging. Well, I tried all that, and it was not successful, on v7 and some of the others. I even tried manual, but was unable to get any channels going through all the frequencies and waited a long time for each, but couldn't be certain I was doing it right. The only thing that let me scan successfully was putting on the Homeworx v13 QAM firmware, then I got the physical channels that I needed to do a manual scan. I then was going to try to do that manually, and hoped that I would get more channels going back to v7 or some other iview firmware. When I went back to v7, without doing a factory reset, my channels were still there. I performed an autoscan to see if I could get any more, and the results were the same. I performed autoscan on the other firmwares and did a factory reset, and the results were empty. One thing I figured out was that if the manual scan was unsuccessful, the autoscan would not come up with any stations.
So, maybe the Homeworx fixed something, or maybe I screwed up something in my firmware process, but it seemed to help resolve my problem with no scans. That could be another step in the process to check out. In loading the Homeworx, oddly, it would not load from one USB that I was loading everything else on, it just rebooted immediately. I did another one with it separately, and the load screen came up.
Oddly, after I had resigned myself that I could not get many channels from QAM, I scanned for OTA on an older firmware, and got no results. I then went to v7 and scanned and got results.