or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › soundbar vs small speakers (bedroom, 300$ budget)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

soundbar vs small speakers (bedroom, 300$ budget)

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
I'm looking for either a soundbar or two small speakers for my bedroom (it's a small room)

I was wondering what which would be better for my situation and i'm looking for recommendations

my budget would be around 300$ for 2 speakers or a subwoofer

Will be used with an Onkyo NR609 receiver

I will use it only to watch movies from my HTPC and volume will always stay low
post #2 of 15
Speakers sound better than soundbars. There are soundbars that sound really good but are the expensive ones.
post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 
Ok then does anyone have recommendations for a pair of speakers matching my needs ?
post #4 of 15
When New Egg has them on sale, the def tech SM350/450s are a great deal. I was able to get a pair for 200 dollars of the 450s. Good bass for a small bookshelf and the will play plenty loud!
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchoi View Post

Ok then does anyone have recommendations for a pair of speakers matching my needs ?

$300 is a tough price point.

I'd recommend a pair of Infinity Primus P163 which leaves only $100 for the sub. That ain't much of a sub!
post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 
$300 is only for 2 speakers, i have another budget for the sub smile.gif

For the sub i'm thinking about buying the YST-FSW150BL because i wanted a rectangular sub that would fit either under my bed or under the TV cabinet
post #7 of 15
For $300 or a little more, the Arx A1b or the Hsu HB- 1 MK2 speakers or the Ascend CBM-170SEs would be a good way to go.......plenty of threads on this forum about each one....
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by padgman1 View Post

For $300 or a little more, the Arx A1b or the Hsu HB- 1 MK2 speakers or the Ascend CBM-170SEs would be a good way to go.......plenty of threads on this forum about each one....

+1

These are great choices. You can't go wrong with any of them. smile.gif
post #9 of 15
I like the Polk Monitors 35b from Newegg. I know that there are hundreds of better speakers, but they do a great job for a starter setup.
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchoi View Post

I'm looking for either a soundbar or two small speakers for my bedroom (it's a small room)

I was wondering what which would be better for my situation and i'm looking for recommendations

my budget would be around 300$ for 2 speakers or a subwoofer

Will be used with an Onkyo NR609 receiver

I will use it only to watch movies from my HTPC and volume will always stay low
Then a recv ,2 speaks & sub seem overkill.. why not get a nice 2.1 pc powered speaker set up.. I used to do that in my bedroom and it worked out great, they will have all inputs u need..till I realize I'm a/v junkie and wanted true 5.1 in bedroom..then i moved up to a full system..but I listen loud!!
post #11 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingvfreak View Post

Then a recv ,2 speaks & sub seem overkill.. why not get a nice 2.1 pc powered speaker set up.. I used to do that in my bedroom and it worked out great, they will have all inputs u need..till I realize I'm a/v junkie and wanted true 5.1 in bedroom..then i moved up to a full system..but I listen loud!!

I already have a logitech Z-5500 and i'm looking to get something a little bit better. I also don't like the logitech sub because it is way too huge so i'm looking for something that would fit under bed or under cabinet

Also i already have a NR609 receiver and i don't know what to do with it since i bought a new one to replace it.... so its going in the bedroom
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchoi View Post

Also i already have a NR609 receiver and i don't know what to do with it since i bought a new one to replace it.... so its going in the bedroom

I agree. If you already have the receiver, why not? Just for when you do want to turn it up and listen to some music or watch a movie at louder volumes. smile.gif

And since you typically aren't going to run it loud, I wouldn't even worry about the sub. Hard to get a good sub and good speakers for $300. I'd say go with the Arx A1bs. They'll have very good output down to 50hz for a bookshelf speaker, and AVS members seem to love them for the price.
post #13 of 15
I know you said it’s a small room, and of course you want something better then plain TV speakers. I'm suggesting you think about a center channel to go with your bookshelf speakers.
A nice little 3.0 to go with your Onkyo and less than your budget of $300 is from Accessories4less.


Mordaunt Short Center Channel for $99
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MORDCARN5CAL/MORDAUNT-SHORT-Carnival-5-Center-Channel-Speaker-Calvados/1.html

Mordaunt Short Bookshelf speakers for $99
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MORDCARN1CAL/MORDAUNT-SHORT-Carnival-1-Bookshelf-Speaker-Calvados-Pair/1.html
post #14 of 15
Thread Starter 
Oh i didn't even know you could have a center speaker with a stereo setup, i thought you had to also have surround back speakers. I think i will go this way then

However i really don't like the color of those speakers, i would prefer black ones frown.gif
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchoi View Post

Oh i didn't even know you could have a center speaker with a stereo setup, i thought you had to also have surround back speakers. I think i will go this way then

However i really don't like the color of those speakers, i would prefer black ones frown.gif

Unless that was a typo, but you mentioned you have an Onkyo NR609 receiver, which is a 7channel AVR. or a better way to say it, is upto 7channels in your case.
You do not have to have all of the speaker plugged into it for it to work for movies. Besides when you watch movies, you want to have a better soundfield then 'Stereo', which you will get with your Onkyo 609(plenty of lossless audio)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › soundbar vs small speakers (bedroom, 300$ budget)