or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Replacing 57" DLP - 60" ST60 or 65" S60?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Replacing 57" DLP - 60" ST60 or 65" S60?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Finally time to retire the 57" Mits. DLP.

There seems to be some price-equity between the 65" S60 and the 60" ST60. So the question becomes size vs. "Quality"

I don't need 3D, DO care about black levels and have a room that can be light controlled but most of the time is not.

I figure the 60" is an upgrade from the 57" but it will be about 18 inches further away due to wall mounting so probably a wash in "size" to my current unit. I have always felt like I need to go bigger each time I replace this primary TV in the house.

Just not sure since I have no experience with Plasma and obviously have not purchased a new TV in quite some time.

Any suggestions, insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
MD
post #2 of 16
Usually you go wit the biggest set you can get....But in this case I would get the 60" ST60 as it is the "better" set......If you can hold off and save a bit more then you would be able to get the 65 ST60 and then you would be in a win win situation...wink.gifbiggrin.gif
post #3 of 16
if the room is not completely light controlled go ST60.
post #4 of 16
Or get a 65" S64 once they hit Costco. That's my plan, anyway. (I hate 3D, so that seems to be my best option.)
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsps View Post

Or get a 65" S64 once they hit Costco. That's my plan, anyway. (I hate 3D, so that seems to be my best option.)

And the good thing about the S64 series (Costco version of the S60 series) is that the S64 will have the same Louver Anti-Reflective Filter as used on the higher ST60 series (confirmed by AVJ on HDJ).
post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsps View Post

Or get a 65" S64 once they hit Costco. That's my plan, anyway. (I hate 3D, so that seems to be my best option.)

Does anyone have an anticipated date on when that might happen?

MD
post #7 of 16
I read mid to late April — I think on this forum — but I don't know about the accuracy of that. I stopped by a Costco the other day to check, but no one who knew anything about TVs was around.
post #8 of 16
I had the same exact question and ended up going for the 65S60 for the size. I couldn't afford the ST and like you, don't care for all the bells and whistles. My hesitation on the 65 was that the quality wouldn't be good enough. Then I realized. Wait a minute. I have an 8 year old 42" plasma so anything I buy will be better than what I have. We do a lot of split-screen gaming, sometimes 4 player, so size matters there. The panel is in a large room filled with large windows, although not directly behind the viewer, and it hasn't been a problem. Anyway, if you have any questions about the 65S60, let me know. I'm digging it. I have had some issues with it locking up my Denon AVR-887, but am still trying to figure it out and posted in the forum here. Let us know where you end up!
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KritterMan View Post

I had the same exact question and ended up going for the 65S60 for the size. I couldn't afford the ST and like you, don't care for all the bells and whistles. My hesitation on the 65 was that the quality wouldn't be good enough. Then I realized. Wait a minute. I have an 8 year old 42" plasma so anything I buy will be better than what I have. We do a lot of split-screen gaming, sometimes 4 player, so size matters there. The panel is in a large room filled with large windows, although not directly behind the viewer, and it hasn't been a problem. Anyway, if you have any questions about the 65S60, let me know. I'm digging it. I have had some issues with it locking up my Denon AVR-887, but am still trying to figure it out and posted in the forum here. Let us know where you end up!

I went and looked at the 50ST60 at BB last night (the only model they had from the new series) and I have to say that the filter on it made a huge impact on glare. I think I am officially waiting for the S64 to hit Costco so I can see it in person before making a decision. Looking around the showroom, comparing sizes I realized that the difference between 60" and 65" is more dramatic than I remembered...

Dream Choice: 65ZT60
Stretch choice: 65ST60
Likely choice: 65S64
Still in the running: 60ST60

Thanks for the feedback on the S60.

AVJ over on HDJ tells me Mid to Late April too nsps. In calling Costco today, she was not able to see that model in their system yet....

MD
post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 
Ok, new player in the mix: 65GT50.

I have a chance to buy a 65GT50 from a local dealer at $1500 which is right in line with what I can get the 60ST60 or the 65S64 at.

I was leaning pretty hard towards the S64 but I am really looking for additional feedback on how the GT50 compares to it (or S60)

Thanks,
MD
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerDuck View Post

Ok, new player in the mix: 65GT50.

I have a chance to buy a 65GT50 from a local dealer at $1500 which is right in line with what I can get the 60ST60 or the 65S64 at.

I was leaning pretty hard towards the S64 but I am really looking for additional feedback on how the GT50 compares to it (or S60)

Thanks,
MD

The 2013 models are better in every category, with the exception of slightly higher input lag.
post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpectre88 View Post

The 2013 models are better in every category, with the exception of slightly higher input lag.

So even 2013 "Entry level" S60/S64 would be better than the mid/upper tier GT50 from 2012?

MD
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerDuck View Post

So even 2013 "Entry level" S60/S64 would be better than the mid/upper tier GT50 from 2012?

MD

Absolutely. wink.gif
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerDuck View Post

So even 2013 "Entry level" S60/S64 would be better than the mid/upper tier GT50 from 2012?

MD

From early reports yes...I would wait to see what DNice has to say about the ST which should be out today I think.....he may also have something out on the S series, but Im ot 100% sure on that.
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KritterMan View Post

I had the same exact question and ended up going for the 65S60 for the size. I couldn't afford the ST and like you, don't care for all the bells and whistles. My hesitation on the 65 was that the quality wouldn't be good enough. Then I realized. Wait a minute. I have an 8 year old 42" plasma so anything I buy will be better than what I have. We do a lot of split-screen gaming, sometimes 4 player, so size matters there. The panel is in a large room filled with large windows, although not directly behind the viewer, and it hasn't been a problem. Anyway, if you have any questions about the 65S60, let me know. I'm digging it. I have had some issues with it locking up my Denon AVR-887, but am still trying to figure it out and posted in the forum here. Let us know where you end up!

How do you like the PQ on the S60? If it's good enough and the glare is not too bad then I'll wait for the 65S64 to hit Costco or if the 65S60 goes on sale at BB later in the year.
I have a sliding door directly behind me and two large windows in the room but I do a lot of viewing in the late evening.
Thanks for your thoughts.
post #16 of 16
Picture quality is about the same.

Same blacks and overall color reproduction/ uniformity. Both the gt50 and the st60 have the infinite black pro panel, yet the gt50 has higher gradation rating (not really a big deal).

Gt50 also has the dual core processor and is better for gaming.

About to pull the trigger on a 60gt50 for $1174 shipped. either that or spend $1500 on the 60st60.

Id rather have the gt60 screen for 4/5 the price of the st60.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Replacing 57" DLP - 60" ST60 or 65" S60?