or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Camcorders › New Canon HF G30!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Canon HF G30! - Page 2

post #31 of 194
This one looks better:

post #32 of 194
It looks like it was filmed in auto,some over exposure in places,i would not consider the XA25,what it adds to the XA20 would not be worth the extra for me,we are lucky these days though ,there is such a choice of cams and cameras for filming.
post #33 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post

This one looks better:


I am puzzled to understand why I don't find it impressive, at all.
post #34 of 194
Shows very poor dynamic range - hotspots all over each frame (e.g., flowers, face), noise in shadows.
post #35 of 194
Something's not right with those samples, they look terrible.

I still have raw HF M40 footage that blows that away.
post #36 of 194
Youtube is no place to ascertain quality,only to judge how it was exposed and look at colours.Even vimeo if you download at the best quality allowed like origional mpeg 4 492mb https://vimeo.com/63995762 you only get how the film was rendered,raw footage is a lot better.
post #37 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by flintyplus View Post

Youtube is no place to ascertain quality,only to judge how it was exposed and look at colours.Even vimeo if you download at the best quality allowed like origional mpeg 4 492mb https://vimeo.com/63995762 you only get how the film was rendered,raw footage is a lot better.

I understand that both Youtube and Vimeo influence footages appearance, but still I don't get what you mean by "raw footage". These camcorders shoot compressed formats, don't they?
post #38 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emopunk View Post

I understand that both Youtube and Vimeo influence footages appearance, but still I don't get what you mean by "raw footage". These camcorders shoot compressed formats, don't they?

I can shoot 1080p60 AVCHD and upload the very large files to Vimeo. For normal playback, Vimeo processes them. There is a "HD" choice, but that is 720p. I think you have to be a paid "Plus" member, but there is the option that viewers can download the original, exactly as you uploaded it.

YouTube has a 1080p viewing choice, but it is still magically processed somehow.

All AVCHD, including 1080p50/60 is processed with the H.264 codec, so some "compression" takes place. Many still go out of their way to make sure their 1080p60 files are processed losslessly with software that specifically avoids any "rendering" or "transcoding".

Bill
post #39 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emopunk View Post

I understand that both Youtube and Vimeo influence footages appearance, but still I don't get what you mean by "raw footage". These camcorders shoot compressed formats, don't they?

Correct i meant what the footage from the card looks like,played direct from the cam or the card in a player like my BD player hard drive recorder.
What i get from file renders is still not as good as what is on the card,You tube vimeo degrade it more,downloading films on vimeo you get the full file quality.To be fair although i have 6 different softwares i am not saying there is not expensive pro software capable of lossless render.
post #40 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by flintyplus View Post

Correct i meant what the footage from the card looks like,played direct from the cam or the card in a player like my BD player hard drive recorder.
What i get from file renders is still not as good as what is on the card,You tube vimeo degrade it more,downloading films on vimeo you get the full file quality.To be fair although i have 6 different softwares i am not saying there is not expensive pro software capable of lossless render.

Interesting. So what is to supposed to be a good fidelity software player for native files on PC?
post #41 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emopunk View Post

Interesting. So what is to supposed to be a good fidelity software player for native files on PC?
Common favorites are the free Splash Lite and VLC.

(When you get your new camcorder it will come with Sony's "Play Memories Home". You may like it as a video player as well. One thing it does that most NLE editing software does not do is trim and join clips with lossless fidelity. In order to get it to work right, you have to use it to transfer clips to your computer from your camcorder or card.)
post #42 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emopunk View Post

Interesting. So what is to supposed to be a good fidelity software player for native files on PC?
Well i dont see how playing the native files can be beaten,but if anyone goes out and does an hours filming i doubt many would want to keep and watch only the unedited footage.
post #43 of 194
more on the sensor size of this camcorder(g30 has the same sensor?):

"A quick scan of the spec sheet for the new camcorders reveals a sensor size unseen before: 1/2.84 inches. Westfall noted the reason Canon engineers designed a sensor slightly larger than the 1/3-inch sensors in many of the company’s camcorders is to provide more than a 1920 x 1080 pixel array on the smaller sensors. The extra pixels are necessary for a digital image stabilizer function built into the camcorders themselves.

For digital image stabilization to function properly, “you need to be able to sample other parts of the imager, rather than just that center 1920 x 1080 pixel array,” he said. “This allows the camcorder to look a little left, right, up and down.” The camcorders’ built-in lens also provides “a new seven-mode optical image stabilization system built into it, which is a little more sophisticated than the four mode stabilization system we had on the XA10.”

http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/canon-to-debut-xa-replacements-at-nab-show/218769
post #44 of 194
The sensor on the venerable HV20 is 1/2.7-inch, having approx. 2,960,000 pixels. This seems to be a gradual development of the same sensor.
Edited by Ungermann - 4/24/13 at 1:36pm
post #45 of 194
This Review of the XA20/25 at NAB 2013, around the 5:20min mark mentions that these new Canon Camcorders can output to an external recorder in 4:2:2 color space through HDMI/ HD-SDI..
Now whether that means native recording in 4:2:2 is not realy made clear in this review as its an obvious requirement that source Devices must output 4:2:2 at minimum through HDMI.. http://vimeo.com/63638199
post #46 of 194
4:2:2 is what a lot of people were expecting out of those camcorders before they read that HD SDI would be limited to 4:2:0. Luckily Canon said that it was a mistake on their sites and have then changed it to 4:2:2. Rather it was just a mistake at first or not, at least it's getting it. It's good when people complain to make sure companies don't go too far in self crippling their products.

It seams like the XA25 is getting more interest than Canon anticipated. It says this for the XA25 page on Amazon: "Note on Availability: Due to high demand we anticipate being unable to fulfill all customer orders with our first allocation. Product supply from Canon is very limited. Your place in line will be maintained, and we will not charge your credit card until we ship the product." http://www.amazon.com/Canon-8443B002-XA25-Professional-Camcorder/dp/B00C3R17DM/ref=br_lf_m_1001154851_1_2_ttl?ie=UTF8&s=photo&pf_rd_p=1531600702&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1001154851&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=14RRX05Y9ZQJW53W0JG9 . For anyone who wants the XA25, your better off getting it from B&H. $2,699 verses the Amazon price of $2,857.32 Hopefully the other 2 models gets a lower price as well because as is, the current prices are a bit steep in my opinion.
post #47 of 194
I understand 20x lens and 1080p60, but I would prefer industry-standard 50 Mbit/s 4:2:2 (which is basically XDCAM HD422) from the XF100 for much less. One can find the XF100 for $2100.
Edited by Ungermann - 4/28/13 at 10:53pm
post #48 of 194
Im also drooling over this Camcorder. I wanna upgrade to it to catch high action video at automotive racing events. With the addition of a good mic will this camera perform well enough to do that sort of video? Im no where near as technical as you guys are as Im just now learning the ins and outs of the cameras. Im not shooting from the stands im down next to the tracks getting as close as i can. I want something that will not blur as the cars go by. What do yall think?
post #49 of 194
so is the G30 available anywhere yet. I'm already tired of hearing about it and not being able to find one. smile.gif
post #50 of 194
It's not for sale until June 30.
post #51 of 194
Well, I was saving up for a G10. (Didn't even look into the G20. Target fixation.) One of the big plusses of the G10 was its low-light capability. I assume the G30 will, at the very least, be no worse, right?
post #52 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-not-k View Post

Well, I was saving up for a G10. (Didn't even look into the G20. Target fixation.) One of the big plusses of the G10 was its low-light capability. I assume the G30 will, at the very least, be no worse, right?
They say it is better. And higher resolution. And 60p. Can it make me a coffee? Uh, but it will be expensive. Finally Canon managed to produce a consumer lineup that does not drop half the price in half a year.
post #53 of 194
wouldn't mind having one in a way but then again splitting hairs has become a bit boring. I may have one too many one night and mt CC climb out of my wallet but I can live without it till they come with something that is a real game changer
post #54 of 194
Well, this is a game-changer to one who still has to buy video tapes! I'll continue to save. (The Smartphone app rocks! I'll have to look that one up. I could really use a feature like that.)
post #55 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-not-k View Post

Well, I was saving up for a G10. (Didn't even look into the G20. Target fixation.) One of the big plusses of the G10 was its low-light capability. I assume the G30 will, at the very least, be no worse, right?
Personally, I'm not entirely convinced the G30 will have better low light performance than the G10. The sensor is bigger, but a smaller part of it is used to capture images --- the G30 crop factor is 7.84 vs 7.15 for the G10. So based on the active sensor area alone, the G30 can capture less light than the G10. However, we don't know whether the sensor technology in the G30 is improved over the G10. And another possible mitigating factor is that the G30 lens appears to be brighter than the G10 lens at equivalent focal lengths. We won't know for sure until someone measures it.
post #56 of 194
yeah the smartphone app is cool although I seem to recall others with that also.....or maybe I'm getting it mixed up but they are applying that to everything from controlling your house systems to single electronic components. I'm sure there will be an app for ED soon.....or pump up your penis with the
touch of a button. smile.gif) Wish I could design apps.....I'd do some kind of stealth app we could apply to our woman to induce arousal. The guy who invents that will be king of the world. LOL
post #57 of 194
I'm looking forward to test results on the Canon HF G30 in regards to sharpness compared to the Panasonic Cams. Having 60p on it, one would think it would be sharper than its predecessors , yet time will tell.
Been using a Canon HF M41 and a Pany TM900, and the Pany clearly is sharper than the Canon.
post #58 of 194
The last camcorder I bought was the Vixia HF10 back in 2008.
I've been obsessing over the G30 for the past 2 weeks, but ever since they uploaded the online PDF manual (~4 days ago) I've realized it has a lot of features that I simply don't need, or won't ever use.

I'm interested in getting a new camcorder that can actually record 1080p, but this G30 has so many "extravagant additions" that I'm no longer certain that I actually want it. I don't care about OLED, I don't need an eye piece, I won't use the dual SD card slots or WiFi, etc. When are manufacturers going to release a basic camcorder capable of recording awesome 1080p video?

EDIT: I took a look at Sony & Panasonic camcorders, but I'm not sure any of them are true 1080p. I'm willing to spend $1,800 for solid image quality -- if anyone can help recommend me a product.
Edited by Acid Snow - 5/12/13 at 4:40pm
post #59 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Snow View Post

I'm interested in getting a new camcorder that can actually record 1080p, but this G30 has so many "extravagant additions" that I'm no longer certain that I actually want it. I don't care about OLED, I don't need an eye piece, I won't use the dual SD card slots or WiFi, etc. When are manufacturers going to release a basic camcorder capable of recording awesome 1080p video?
Define "true 1080p". Why do you think you must have 1080p at all? Are you not satisfied with the HF10 image?

Shoot PF30 and edit as 1080p30; blur color channels vertically. Or shoot PF24, remove pulldown and you will get 1080p24.

http://provideocoalition.com/awilt/story/review_canon_vixia_hf11_avchd_camcorder/
post #60 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Snow View Post

The last camcorder I bought was the Vixia HF10 back in 2008.
I've been obsessing over the G30 for the past 2 weeks, but ever since they uploaded the online PDF manual (~4 days ago) I've realized it has a lot of features that I simply don't need, or won't ever use.

I'm interested in getting a new camcorder that can actually record 1080p, but this G30 has so many "extravagant additions" that I'm no longer certain that I actually want it. I don't care about OLED, I don't need an eye piece, I won't use the dual SD card slots or WiFi, etc. When are manufacturers going to release a basic camcorder capable of recording awesome 1080p video?

EDIT: I took a look at Sony & Panasonic camcorders, but I'm not sure any of them are true 1080p. I'm willing to spend $1,800 for solid image quality -- if anyone can help recommend me a product.

Almost every camcorder, and many cameras, Sony and Panasonic make record at "true" 1080p, including the basic ones. Both make pocketable cameras that record at 1080p. What the heck are you talking about?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Camcorders
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Camcorders › New Canon HF G30!