or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › JKP 1.1 in the house
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JKP 1.1 in the house - Page 2

post #31 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

Quote:
would you say if there is a noticeable diff between the 1.1 and the 0.9?

Absolutely. Side by side they are different materials. And different color wise. Get samples sent to you - free from Da-Lite.

yea I just ordered those two and the da-mat material as well. I've got a epson 5020 to test with.
post #32 of 74
Got some Da-lite samples in the mail today - the JKP 1.1 & 0.9, High Power, CinemaVision (which is what I now have), High Contrast Cinemavision, Pearlescent, and Da-mat. The one surprise was the Da-Mat - it was the one that looked the most like the JKP 0.9 - very smooth.
post #33 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by TL5 View Post

Got some Da-lite samples in the mail today - the JKP 1.1 & 0.9, High Power, CinemaVision (which is what I now have), High Contrast Cinemavision, Pearlescent, and Da-mat. The one surprise was the Da-Mat - it was the one that looked the most like the JKP 0.9 - very smooth.

let us know when you test them. What kind of projector are you using ?
post #34 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by TL5 View Post

Got some Da-lite samples in the mail today - the JKP 1.1 & 0.9, High Power, CinemaVision (which is what I now have), High Contrast Cinemavision, Pearlescent, and Da-mat. The one surprise was the Da-Mat - it was the one that looked the most like the JKP 0.9 - very smooth.

I put the da mat in the middle of the .9 jkp, from my sitting distance, they blended together. I could not tell the difference. Even showed my girlfriend and she saw the same thing. The Da Mat is very smooth
post #35 of 74
I agree about the Da-mat looking the most similar to the JKP 0.9 - I'm wondering what the high contrast Da-mat is like - I forgot to request a sample of that.
post #36 of 74
I'd be more curious what the difference between the Da-Mat and the regular Matte White is. If I recall correctly there are certain materials only available for certain screen choices.

B.
post #37 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by TL5 View Post

I agree about the Da-mat looking the most similar to the JKP 0.9 - I'm wondering what the high contrast Da-mat is like - I forgot to request a sample of that.

I didn't even think about requesting that sample
post #38 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B View Post

I'd be more curious what the difference between the Da-Mat and the regular Matte White is. If I recall correctly there are certain materials only available for certain screen choices.

B.

Right, I don't think Matte White is available for the screen I'm considering (Cinema Contour)
post #39 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

I say first get samples, you would be surprised at how similar the DaMat and jkp is. The jkp is a bigger sample, so you can place the DaMat sample in the middle to have a good comparison

Got my samples yesterday, and they were all pretty much the same size. Ordered a Da-Mat, JKP 0.9 and 1.1.

yna2udaz.jpg
post #40 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k02c5 View Post

Got my samples yesterday, and they were all pretty much the same size. Ordered a Da-Mat, JKP 0.9 and 1.1.

yna2udaz.jpg

My jkp samples were much bigger
post #41 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k02c5 View Post

Got my samples yesterday, and they were all pretty much the same size. Ordered a Da-Mat, JKP 0.9 and 1.1.

yna2udaz.jpg

My jkp samples were much bigger

Interesting. I was kind of surprised myself. How big we're the samples that you received? I was expecting at least something like 24"x 24".
post #42 of 74
That is the standard screen sample size. Stewart sends a similar size sample.
post #43 of 74
Called back today and they're sending out some 12x 12" samples.
post #44 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k02c5 View Post

Interesting. I was kind of surprised myself. How big we're the samples that you received? I was expecting at least something like 24"x 24".

Yeah, the other problem is those are glued to the paper. Even when you take them off they are sticky and not necessarily flat anymore--whoever thought of doing it that way at Da-Lite doesn't know what people do with the samples to begin with!

B.
post #45 of 74
I have successfully peeled the samples off, and stuck them on a cardboard stand that suspends them in front of my screen ( sticking them onto a good screen does not seem wise, just FYI ) . You have to be very careful not to stretch them !
post #46 of 74
Quote:
I put the da mat in the middle of the .9 jkp, from my sitting distance, they blended together. I could not tell the difference. Even showed my girlfriend and she saw the same thing. The Da Mat is very smooth

Just looking at those two materials shows they aren't even close to being the same. The Da Mat has considerably more texture, and " sparklies " in the material. That said, it's a decent material. But, it's not the same as the HD Pro .9 .
post #47 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

Just looking at those two materials shows they aren't even close to being the same. The Da Mat has considerably more texture, and " sparklies " in the material. That said, it's a decent material. But, it's not the same as the HD Pro .9 .

Not the samples that I had and put up. Maybe if I was 2in from the samples, but I don't watch from that distance
post #48 of 74
I got some large samples of the new HD Pro 1.3 materia yesterdayl. Good looking stuff. Whiter than the 1.1 material. I'll have to do some experiments with it in my theater.
post #49 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

Not the samples that I had and put up. Maybe if I was 2in from the samples, but I don't watch from that distance

Same thing for the samples I got. The Da-mat was really close to the JKP 0.9
post #50 of 74
Project a 25 foot lambert picture on it and watch a hockey game on ESPN HD. I'll bet you see a difference.
post #51 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

I got some large samples of the new HD Pro 1.3 materia yesterdayl. Good looking stuff. Whiter than the 1.1 material. I'll have to do some experiments with it in my theater.

Lets know how it perform. I know you have that bright 3 chipper, but let us know how the sparkles are with the 1.1 and 1.3
post #52 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

Project a 25 foot lambert picture on it and watch a hockey game on ESPN HD. I'll bet you see a difference.

My Da-lite Cinema Vision is bad in situations like this - the grain or pattern or whatever it is drives my crazy. What would be a good replacement for it when there is some ambient light from above (light colored ceiling)? Is the HCCV better?
post #53 of 74
I still own a HCCV screen. No, it is not better. Give me a call tomorrow and we can discuss you screen needs.
Quote:
Lets know how it perform. I know you have that bright 3 chipper, but let us know how the sparkles are with the 1.1 and 1.3

Hey, if you watch with an Epson or Sony or Panny in " torch mode " for a little Sunday sports with the boys, those will be just as bright. That's when you see screen artifacts that wiil eventually drive you nuts. The HD Pro screens are 20% more than the Da Mat. So they aren't terribly more expensive.
post #54 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

I still own a HCCV screen. No, it is not better. Give me a call tomorrow and we can discuss you screen needs.
Hey, if you watch with an Epson or Sony or Panny in " torch mode " for a little Sunday sports with the boys, those will be just as bright. That's when you see screen artifacts that wiil eventually drive you nuts. The HD Pro screens are 20% more than the Da Mat. So they aren't terribly more expensive.

I'm basically waiting for a new 4K jvc and I have been on the search for a new unity screen for my all velvet covered room. I have been thinking about a center stage xd screen, because I can get a 10ft wide screen for about $600. I am willing to spend more, just decided on a 1:9.1 screen but not what screen material yet
post #55 of 74
anyone have any pics to post yet of the jkp screens ?
post #56 of 74
I have a Benq W6000 paired with a JKP.9 screen and I have never seen an image look so smooth, the digital look that I had with my Dalite cinema vision 1.3 gain screen is replace with an analog look. I highly recommend it!!!!!!
post #57 of 74
do you mind sharing some nice screenshots to show us the smooth image & analog look that you are talking about?
post #58 of 74
I most likely will be buying a JKP screen very soon. About 3-6 weeks. I have to see if I can get samples of their new 1.3 gain first and pick the one with the less sheen to any image. The samples look very smooth, so I'm hoping for no sheen at all. If that's the case I would get the 1.3 if available. Going to pair it with 2 high end projector, a Digital Projection M-Vision Cine LED projector and a flagship JVC with hopefully 150.000:1 contrast ratio. Don't know if I will get the jvc this year,
post #59 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by WereWolf84 View Post

do you mind sharing some nice screenshots to show us the smooth image & analog look that you are talking about?

X 2. curious to see your setup.
post #60 of 74
Hi, I am new to the projector world and need some screen help. I am trying to decide on screen material, but realize that it's pretty complicated. I received samples from Da-lite and had narrowed it down to either HD Progressive 0.9 or DA-MAT. After stumbling upon this thread, I wonder if the 1.1 may be a better choice. I am assuming that the thread title is referring to the Joel Kane Affinity screens, correct? I have a very good light-controlled room and walls and ceiling are painted dark brown and black.
I have an epson 6020 and will use the room mostly for movies (totally dark), but occasional sporting events (with some ambient light). So, given the 3 screens that I mentioned, just wondering what you think.
Also, being new to this, how can you really compare these samples-do you just put them up on the wall and what are you looking for, I mean are we talking color accuracy, brightness, exactly what.
Sorry, but don't have a clue.
Thanks guys.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Screens
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › JKP 1.1 in the house