- 2,045 Posts. Joined 2/2005
- Location: Houston, TX
- Thumbs Up: 15
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productDarbeeVision Darblet, HDMI Video Processortagged by HopefulFred, 12/9/13
- productDenon AVR-4520CI Receivertagged by HopefulFred, 12/9/13
- productEpson 5020UB Powerlite Home Cinema 3D Front Projectortagged by HopefulFred, 12/9/13
- productPopcorn Hour A-400 Network Media Jukeboxtagged by dlreiss, 11/15/13
- productYamaha RX-V667 Receivertagged by dlreiss, 11/15/13
Related Forum Threads
- AustinJerry's Set-Up Last post on 12/4/13 at 10:52am in General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms
- Home Theater of the Month: Vikgrao's Fortress of Solitude Last post on 10/3/13 at 1:59pm in Community News & Polls
- Projector Mini-Shootout Thread 2013-2014 Last post on Yesterday at 6:50 pm in Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP
- Official Owners' Thread, Panasonic PT-AE8000U (US version) PT-AT6000E (European version) Last post on Yesterday at 8:39 pm in Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP
- Anyone have HSU's with their 4520ci? Last post on 12/10/13 at 1:06pm in Receivers, Amps, and Processors
The Thompson Theater 11.1 channels - Page 3
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I am about to do some upgrades to the theater. i just ordered an AT seymour screen the same size of the one I already have. I am also getting a new avr and speakers for the LCR channels. Decided to go 11 channels as well, so the X4000 is out of the picture and now want to get the Denon 4520. Some new cosmetic stuff on the walls to complete what I have started and I will update as soon as all of this goes down.
150" 2.35 scope screen?? Is it not too overwhelming for a seating distance of 17/16 feet...as you know I ordered 125" 2.35 screen but strongly feel I should have gone with 141" but lot of seating distance calculators gave me 125" is about right size. My room is 17 ft in length and 13.4 feet in width and height of 10 feet.
Denon 4520ci avr
Definitive technology UIW RLSIII for the LCR
and HTD HD-65aim for the heights and wides
Seymour Center Stage XD (same size as my other screen).
Also ordered the rsh rack shelf for the Denon and got one for my Directv receiver that I will be swapping out with the one downstairs because it looks better than the one I have in the rack right now.
I still need to get more fabric and wood to make panels the finish off what I started on the walls. This will also hide the wides. I hope to have all of this done in one weekend after everything gets here.
Started to install the wide speakers today. I had no choice but to mount them low like I did because of framing issues with windows and the previous wall openings before I closed them in. They are at the proper angles though and the speakers are AIM speakers. The woofer is and 18 degree angle and the tweeter moves another 15 degrees so that make a total angle of 33 degrees which is just enough.
I will start the heights this weekend and have both the wides and heights wired up. Still waiting for the rest of my gear to show up in the mail. Also, I added a small TV in the av closet so I do not have to turn on the projector every time I want to change something or take measurements or whatever.
I do have the speaker grills and they are painted black, but I do not think that will matter because there will be fabric panels covering the entire wall so the speakers will be hidden.
Edited by Pain Infliction - 12/4/13 at 6:00am
My new AVR arrive Monday and it is the last step before I have 11.1. I finished all the wiring today for the heights and wides. Completely finished the right wall with panels paint and fabric. The left wall just needs fabric attached. I went out and bought an electric stapler to makes things easier and faster. Why I didn't buy one sooner makes no sense to me because this thing is awesome!
I am so tired for all this work that I have done. I think I put in about 5 hours last night and about 10 hours today. I see the light and the end of the tunnel though!
Some of the panels laid out for painting.
Painted the top of the panels, but went back and painted the inside part too just in case. Easier to do it at that point then having to go back and do it.
It is really hard to get good pics in my theater because I do not have a camera, so I took one with the flash and one without.
Notice that you can not see the "wide" speaker. This is what I am shooting for, hiding all speakers!
This is it right out of the box....
and in the rsh shelf and faceplate.
Spent a little bit of time dialing it in tonight. I really need some time this weekend to finish it all up.
My first thoughts are:
The sound is wonderful! It really is impressive out of the box and sounds way better than the Yamaha rxv667 that I had.
Audyssey xt32 tuned my sub really well! I need to take some measurements this weekend and see what it did.
The avr runs really hot. A lot hotter than the Yamaha.
Boy, I have a lot of respect for guys building panels! That looks like a lot of work!
BTW, thanks for taking Chippy out of the PAC-12! We don't miss him!
Oh it is a lot of work! The worst part is stretching that fabric IMO.
Your welcome for taking Chip. He has done a wonderful job so far. At the beginning, I was not sure, but I love the direction the Eagles are going. It has been a while since they have been good and I am enjoying it.
As far as the sound goes, I have barely been able to listen to anything. I just got the avr last night when I got home from work and set it up. I need this weekend to finalize things and test.
- The Thompson Theater 11.1 channels
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Dynaudio Owner's Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Vizio's New True 5.1 Soundbar S4251W 3 minutes ago
- › Xbox One Kinect Extender 4 minutes ago
- › Battlefield 4 5 minutes ago
- › Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Hot Off The Press: The Latest TV News and Information 6 minutes ago
- › Mitsubishi wd65733 6 minutes ago
- › The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 7 minutes ago
- › Critique my custom A/V rack / book shelf. 9 minutes ago
- › Monoprice RedMere HDMI cables 11 minutes ago
- › Jurassic Park Ultimate Trilogy (Blu-ray) by Jar Jar Insano
- › Panasonic VIERA TC-P55GT50 55 Inch Plasma TV by Latinoheat
- › Sharp LC-90LE657 90-inch LED 3D HDTV by Beemerphreak
- › Sharp HE LC-70UD1U 70-Inch Aquos 4K Ultra HD 3D Smart LED TV by Chad B
- › Toshiba 50L4300U 50-Inch Smart LED HDTV by quattroG
- › Panasonic TC-L58E60 58-Inch Smart LED HDTV by zepto
- › Control 4 - Hc-300c Home Controller C4-hc300c-e-b by aspoerri
- › Seaton Sound Catalyst 12C by Blackdevil77
- › Live Free or Die Hard [Blu-ray] by jlocice1
- › Onkyo Integra DTR7.9 by djpjwiesen
- › AVS Forum's Top 9 LCD TVs by skehoe
- › AVS Forum's Top 10 Powered Soundbars of... by Scott Wilkinson
- › AVS Forum's Top 8 Low-Cost... by skehoe
- › AVS Forum's Top 6 Streaming Media... by skehoe
- › AVS Forum's Top 10 Projectors from 2013 by skehoe
- › Top Blu-rays for 2013 by skehoe
- › AVS Forum's Top 7 Blu-ray Players of 2013 by Scott Wilkinson
- › AVS Forum's Top 5 Plasma TVs of 2013 by skehoe
- › Ron's Amazing Upgraded HD Effect Pen Camera by rolgin28
- › Review Contest Terms & Conditions by SocialCapital