I've been staring at pictures of incredibly beautiful finished theaters for 3 days now and I'm trying to figure out how to get there.
I confess my brain works only in structured ordered lists so I'm trying to put together a mental list of how this is all going to work. I'm starting high level because I don't know any better. More or less in order based on pics I have seen (?)
- Floor Plan (my theater will be long and narrow (12-13 by 20+, see above) so I have a basic idea for love seat in front (wife's request), 3-4 seats behind and snack bar across the back)
== Structural ==
- Electrical (including increased electrical service?) - NO idea. $100 for wire alone?
- Recessed Lighting (not thinking of soffits at this point) - not real sure on cost, I see the bracket for $20 per at HD but seems like there is more to it? $25 x $6 = $150? $200? no clue.
- HDMI/speaker cables (monoprice, dirt cheap, not an issue) $100
- Do I bother running ethernet? To where? $100?
- Lumber/Drywall to frame room ($500 in materials, $7,000 installed by professionals - source
100+100+100+200+500 = $1,000 materials / $10,000 with labor? seems like I ought to be able to find a guy who will do it cheaper...
== Fixtures ==
- Risers (no idea here, I assume it's all lumber so reasonably cheap?) $200?
- Snack Bar $200?
- Door(s?) ($600-ish? source
- Ceiling Panels? (basement 7' 9" ceiling) (these
look awesome and expensive, stucco ceiling tiles in black 336 sq ft / 8 sq ft per tile = 42 tiles x $18.00 per (sold in tens) = $800 ish source
200+200+600+800 = $1,600 materials / ? with labor
== Decor ==
- Paint 4 gallons of primer ($100?) and 2 gallons of paint ($100?) ought to do it estimating roughly 600sq feet to paint, costs are rough rounding up calcs
- Floorboards (didn't actually see these in any pictures?) $5 a foot x 76 feet = $380 parts alone source
- Carpet $2000-$2500 (talked to wife, she says $1k tops) source
100+100+400+1000 = $1,600 materials / labor on floorboards?
== Finishes ==
- Wall Treatments (numerous ways to go here - I saw a $3,700 package here
or maybe $1000 using these
- Sconces $100-ish per on Google, figure 4? 6? $600
+1000+600 = $1,600 materials / seems like we could self install all that...
- Couches/Chairs $2,000 - $4,000 (maybe super nice chairs and/or second row is a phase 2?) forgot where I saw the link for the 4-wide home theater couch...it was like $1,800 except they only had it in black
== Tech ==
(looks like all of this starts at $2k and goes into silly land from there)
Speakers (5.1? 7.1? behind screen? obviously not if paint screen on wall)
Media Sources (PC, BR, DVR, etc)
$2,500 Materials / Tech
Labor seems fuzzy at best so just the materials :
$10,300 First Draft Rough Guess?
I can already see where this is going to break across multiple phase - the acoustical treatments on the walls especially. Not saying I won't get it but will have to phase that over time.