or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official ST60 input lag thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official ST60 input lag thread - Page 9

post #241 of 1308
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMichael View Post

My 55ST60 has developed an intermittent fault so I am returning it to Amazon. I really wanted to keep it but I don't want to risk repairs and maybe owning a lemon. Amazon has been super about the return so far. I've ordered the 65PS64 from Sam's Club.

I can post my subjective opinion about how the S64 "feels" to me for input lag compared to the ST60 if anyone wants. OTOH, if you'd rather not have the subjective info in this thread, say it and I'll skip it and no hard feelings. I'm not a pro gamer, so my opinion with days between testing the 2 sets is probably not very reliable.

My main reason for trying S64: It wasn't available when I bought my 55ST60 and is now. It has a lot more screen size and still fits my budget.

I hope I'm not disappointed by the reduction in PQ, if any. Seems like buyers like 'em so far.

You can still post how it feels just try not to derail the thread otherwise. BTW what was the fault that happened?
post #242 of 1308
About one time in 30 power cycles, the power LED will come on, but the picture does not come on.
Edited by MountainMichael - 6/18/13 at 5:11pm
post #243 of 1308
Thread Starter 
Defects happen, my first PS3 had a few defects, though I actually count those as Sony going cheap on manufacturing that was causing improper thermal cooling. It's possible during a rough shipping that something came loose in the power board.
post #244 of 1308
Thanks for your input. Sounds right. I'm a little bummed 'cause here I had a TOTALLY buzz free panel... but it is failing in a different way.
Edited by MountainMichael - 6/18/13 at 5:10pm
post #245 of 1308
Thread Starter 
Maybe the bad power circuits are why it isn't buzzing up to snuff?

I'm bummed too, because I have a beautiful looking panel and I don't have the dark line uniformity problems others are having, yet the input lag is unacceptable to me. It has to go back, and I STILL don't have an alternative yet. 1 week left.
post #246 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonchilde View Post

Maybe the bad power circuits are why it isn't buzzing up to snuff?

I'm bummed too, because I have a beautiful looking panel and I don't have the dark line uniformity problems others are having, yet the input lag is unacceptable to me. It has to go back, and I STILL don't have an alternative yet. 1 week left.
I've got my 60S60 running slides now (see S60 thread for more details). I'll comment back hopefully Thursday night to see how gaming looks and feels.

EDIT: DisplayLag updated their database. Only Panasonic plasma added is the last-gen U54. Did extremely well with 27ms, however. Wonder how the S60/ST60 will fare next.
Edited by El Matadurr - 4/20/13 at 11:47pm
post #247 of 1308
Thread Starter 
I noticed that myself. At one point, I was looking at the U50 series. The S60 is probably going to test in the 30's, and that's very good. I just wish they had more numbers for 2013 models, but at the moment I haven't even seen any VT60's anywhere, so that means my return period is up when they'll finally start hitting shelves. I called Sears and they didn't even have the VT60 in their system.
post #248 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Matadurr View Post

EDIT: DisplayLag updated their database. Only Panasonic plasma added is the last-gen U54. Did extremely well with 27ms, however. Wonder how the S60/ST60 will fare next.

What I don't understand about that website - they don't post what video mode, settings, etc. they used?

I'm still highly anticipating the S/ST results, but if they don't post the config, couldn't the results be potentially useless?
post #249 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by moshock View Post

What I don't understand about that website - they don't post what video mode, settings, etc. they used?

I'm still highly anticipating the S/ST results, but if they don't post the config, couldn't the results be potentially useless?
They mention at the top of the database, "All measurements were taken from each display’s 'Game Mode' or suitable mode designed for lowered image processing." So, it'd be safe to say that the guy turnes every single processing feature off. No motion smoother, no 1080p direct, etc.
post #250 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Matadurr View Post

They mention at the top of the database, "All measurements were taken from each display’s 'Game Mode' or suitable mode designed for lowered image processing." So, it'd be safe to say that the guy turnes every single processing feature off. No motion smoother, no 1080p direct, etc.

I don't like to assume, lol. Hopefully we can get specifics on exactly what settings yielded the lowest results.
post #251 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by moshock View Post

I don't like to assume, lol. Hopefully we can get specifics on exactly what settings yielded the lowest results.
Understandable. Regardless, he posted on here a couple pages back, so shoot him a message if you want. smile.gif
post #252 of 1308
display lag seems to update maybe once every 2 months, did he say he would release the findings by the end of the month? Actually waiting on the results
post #253 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWude View Post

Guys, I fully intend to test the ST60. Sorry for the delay. All testing on my site is through the Bodnar tester, will let you guys know as soon as I get to it. Thanks for the patience.

We are all anxiously awaiting the results. Any time frame as to when you will test the ST60?

Thanks!!
post #254 of 1308
Per my request, Lee will be writing about the ST60's input lag performance in his ST60 review (up here) soon. Says it'll be updated today. Hope he includes some form of a scientific measurement, as well as a comparison to the S60. smile.gif
post #255 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Matadurr View Post

Per my request, Lee will be writing about the ST60's input lag performance in his ST60 review (up here) soon. Says it'll be updated today. Hope he includes some form of a scientific measurement, as well as a comparison to the S60. smile.gif

Awesome news, thanks for bringing it to his attention.
post #256 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump909 View Post

Awesome news, thanks for bringing it to his attention.
Lee's a really nice guy. Until he replied to my emails, I thought the whole site was one of those phony "buy this because we say it's awesome" deals (like a few other "review sites out there...). The guy knows his stuff, despite the fact his black level meter bottoms out at .01 cd/m^2. rolleyes.gif
post #257 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermandlb View Post

We are all anxiously awaiting the results. Any time frame as to when you will test the ST60?

Thanks!!

I really want to have it up under 2 weeks. Unfortunately I have a lot of requests so its hard to please everyone. But I will be starting my 2013 test run very soon, and it will be in one of those updates if everything goes to plan. I will let you guys know as soon as I test it! :-)
post #258 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWude View Post

I really want to have it up under 2 weeks. Unfortunately I have a lot of requests so its hard to please everyone. But I will be starting my 2013 test run very soon, and it will be in one of those updates if everything goes to plan. I will let you guys know as soon as I test it! :-)

Thank you for the response !!
post #259 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Matadurr View Post

Lee's a really nice guy. Until he replied to my emails, I thought the whole site was one of those phony "buy this because we say it's awesome" deals

they sure do look like they are getting paid by samsung, i mean good god look at the top 10 tv's by rank. I just dont even ....
post #260 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAELSU View Post

they sure do look like they are getting paid by samsung, i mean good god look at the top 10 tv's by rank. I just dont even ....

I was thinking the same thing, not to mention the Samsung pop-up ad every time I navigate to another article!! LOL
post #261 of 1308
Thread Starter 
Yeah but none of the Samsungs get a "great" rating because it seems they vary from 30 to 50 ms. Compared to the Panny's, that get a 40 "great" rating.


Update: I should be receiving a DVI-I to HDMI converter in the mail tomorrow or Thrusday. I'm going to re-run the tests to see if the DVI + mini-HDMI might be causing some input lag that wouldn't be there from simply using dual DVI. If it's still high, then chances are I'm not going to have any more time to do any more testing because I have to return the set this week.

I still don't know what alternative to get frown.gif This TV is perfect other than the high input lag.
Edited by Moonchilde - 4/23/13 at 8:20pm
post #262 of 1308
"Check back tomorrow, April 23rd, when we upload the results of our input lag test."

I'm thinking someone's missed a deadline. Hope we'll see something tomorrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonchilde View Post

I still don't know what alternative to get frown.gif This TV is perfect other than the high input lag.

Ya, isn't this just the worse?! Outstanding, affordable set but with input lag that's just in the too high range.
post #263 of 1308
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni009 View Post

"Check back tomorrow, April 23rd, when we upload the results of our input lag test."

I'm thinking someone's missed a deadline. Hope we'll see something tomorrow!
Ya, isn't this just the worse?! Outstanding, affordable set but with input lag that's just in the too high range.

Yes, very much so! I feel like I'm being ransomed now, since time is running out for an exchange and I have NO exchange options at the moment. This whole plasma experience has been awful.
post #264 of 1308
From the flatpanelsHD review...

"The great motion reproduction obviously also translates into quite good gaming picture quality. However, we did experience some input lag on our version of ST60. It was a bit too high, but after we activated the game mode we found gaming quite enjoyable. We are not hardcore console gamers but we know how frustrating input lag can be. Our measurements came it at the same level of many LCD TVs at between 35 and 45 ms (with game mode activated). Not a perfect result but fair, unless you are very enthusiastic."

How in the heck did they get 35ms? I'd take 35-45 ms consistently with no problem. It's this 80 ms that would be trouble...

If only we could get a really definitive word on all this! I hope displaylag.com does their thing soon.
post #265 of 1308
Thread Starter 
I know. I also do have that DVI converter coming so the clone mode monitors will both be via DVI outputs instead of mini HDMI and DVI. Should even things a bit. I really hope it gets here tomorrow.

And yes, I'd love to know how they're getting 35 to 45 ms of input lag, lol. That is far different than what HDTVTest and I are getting.
post #266 of 1308
Thank you all for posting about the display lag site. Been hoping for someone to do that for years! Now I can finally see my 60ST50 has 40ms lag, which isn't that bad. Definitely feels heavier in custom mode. A lot of you seem to use the ST50 for gaming, so what settings are you using? Unless I set HDMI to photos, I always have a greenish tinge to darker areas that drives me crazy. Thanks again everyone!!
post #267 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni009 View Post

From the flatpanelsHD review...

"The great motion reproduction obviously also translates into quite good gaming picture quality. However, we did experience some input lag on our version of ST60. It was a bit too high, but after we activated the game mode we found gaming quite enjoyable. We are not hardcore console gamers but we know how frustrating input lag can be. Our measurements came it at the same level of many LCD TVs at between 35 and 45 ms (with game mode activated). Not a perfect result but fair, unless you are very enthusiastic."

How in the heck did they get 35ms? I'd take 35-45 ms consistently with no problem. It's this 80 ms that would be trouble...

If only we could get a really definitive word on all this! I hope displaylag.com does their thing soon.

Makes you wonder if maybe Panny has put out a new firmware, or is possibly shipping the newer models with a different firmware, or, was it just mis measured. Interesting.
post #268 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknuts07 View Post

Makes you wonder if maybe Panny has put out a new firmware, or is possibly shipping the newer models with a different firmware, or, was it just mis measured. Interesting.
I wrote them on twitter "good review. Interesting numbers on input lag. Most reviews state it's at 60-80, extremely bad." and they responded back with "yeah, noticed that but we only got numbers in that range with IFC activated."
The mystery continues. I'm just interested in hearing from someone who plays games like Call of Duty where every ms counts.
post #269 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnettrules21 View Post

I wrote them on twitter "good review. Interesting numbers on input lag. Most reviews state it's at 60-80, extremely bad." and they responded back with "yeah, noticed that but we only got numbers in that range with IFC activated."
The mystery continues. I'm just interested in hearing from someone who plays games like Call of Duty where every ms counts.

I wonder if there is a bug that doesn't disabled motion smoothing, if you have it enabled, prior to engaging game mode.
post #270 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

I wonder if there is a bug that doesn't disabled motion smoothing, if you have it enabled, prior to engaging game mode.

Multiple users have reported that motion smoothing looked to still be running even with the setting turned off....so possibly.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official ST60 input lag thread