or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 352

post #10531 of 14001
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

don't the denon's from this past year have 'Lip Synch' set to AUTO under HDMI settings out of the box?

If you hook this tv up to an old pre-lip synch AVR (think Technics) you'll find that things will be out of synch.

I had the AVR-4310 prior to the X4000 and it didn't have any issues. Earlier ones may have, but I can not comment on those. JT
post #10532 of 14001
I don't doubt it, I was just expanding a bit on the reason you wouldn't have any issues when hooking it up to the types of receivers you have (good ones smile.gif). Anyone with an older AVR/Prepro would need to ensure they either have the 'lip synch' feature or the ability to manually adjust the 'Audio Delay' to get lip synch working correctly with the Vt's. The tv's internal speakers already employ lip synch/audio delays to deliver the sound and audio at the right moments.
post #10533 of 14001
I cannot see his contact information in the link. Can you please PM me an email address or contact information for him? I live in Houston. Thanks!
post #10534 of 14001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman00 View Post

Greg,

Chad did get in touch with me...and quickly I might add. I explained to him what I was asking for (which you know is a brighter panel near the brightness of THX Bright Room). He knows his stuff because he described exactly what the problem was withTHX Bright Room.... "splotchiness" on people's skin which he said was caused by low gamma. He also noted that he has measured the panel brightness of one VT60 in THX Bright Room and it came out at 56 fL. I thought this was interesting information so we know now the real max output of this set. He said that his calibration would be a bit less bright because of increased gamma but will make the colors and skin look correct, and brighter whites. He has calibrated a VT60 recently this way and achieved 52 fL. Since we know that most calibrations for night mode would be about 34-38 fL, this would be a HUGE improvement. I would hope that I would be happy with that because that would definitely out do my VT25s. He also noted that I would be very disappointed to send back the VT60....which I already know.

I didn't really want to put any more money into this set....but my only other alternatives right now are to send this one back and not have a set for the forseeable future, go with LED (ugh), or pay 2-3 times as much as a calibration for the upgrade to F8500 in which I particularly don't like the stand. Decisions...decisions. Plus, I'm interested to see if this rumor is true about the panel aging and brightening up between 300 and 500 hours. I'm guessing I'm at 200-250 or so on my set but I haven't checked. I almost think that a Chad B calibration is the right way to go here..... It means a lot that he messaged me back. One of the other popular calibrators I contacted hasn't responded.

Thanks for the update. I really don't think this set is going to be able to get bright enough for me. I will be mad at myself later for making a decision of convenience rather than working on finding something I will really like and have no doubts about for the whole time I own it.

I just made the call to return this set...it is way too dim for me...especially in low light scenes where it seems dull and washed out in day or night viewing conditions (watching sports highlights now and court is dim...ice is dim)...it seems things need to have been filmed perfectly and the feed itself has to be perfect for this TV to shine and I would have to be in a cave too...I want more of an all purpose set that does well in most scenarios.

Anyway, I gave it a shot with several days of messing with settings, etc...if anybody is looking the Chicago area should have an open box set available soon!
post #10535 of 14001
Is there a way to input the D-Nice Reference Settings without ControlCal? I own a Mac and have no plans to get a PC or partition my HD just to use this program.
I have the Documents:

VT60-ISF-Day
VT60-ISF-Night
VT60-ISF-Day-3D

Can I just use the Remote? Or anything else??

Hope anyone can help!!!
post #10536 of 14001
Yes they can be put in manually using the remote bit more tedious but can be done.
post #10537 of 14001
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Yes they can be put in manually using the remote bit more tedious but can be done.
Thanks chunon... Do you just read it from the document?

ie:

60
6
0
0
47
0
0
60
6
0
0
47
0
etc...
??
post #10538 of 14001
Does ANYONE else post "reference" settings? Like Cnet.. or anyone else?? Is there anyone that uses a different set of Reference Settings OTHER than D-Nice?
post #10539 of 14001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs71 View Post

Thanks chunon... Do you just read it from the document?

ie:

60
6
0
0
47
0
0
60
6
0
0
47
0
etc...
??

Sadly it's not as straight forward as that. You'll have to jump around through the TV's settings if you want to apply them top to bottom from DNice's documents.

I just did mine the other night. As said above, it is tedious, but can be done.
post #10540 of 14001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs71 View Post

Does ANYONE else post "reference" settings? Like Cnet.. or anyone else?? Is there anyone that uses a different set of Reference Settings OTHER than D-Nice?
Cnet has settings posted here:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-592352/panasonic-tc-p60vt60-picture-settings/

There are a slew of other setting posted by people if you do some Google/forum searching.
post #10541 of 14001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs71 View Post

Does ANYONE else post "reference" settings? Like Cnet.. or anyone else?? Is there anyone that uses a different set of Reference Settings OTHER than D-Nice?
Check out SillySally's post a few pages back. Really like his settings and second best I have found was Sound and and Visions. I have a link some pages back.
post #10542 of 14001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman00 View Post

Greg,

Chad did get in touch with me...and quickly I might add. I explained to him what I was asking for (which you know is a brighter panel near the brightness of THX Bright Room). He knows his stuff because he described exactly what the problem was withTHX Bright Room.... "splotchiness" on people's skin which he said was caused by low gamma. He also noted that he has measured the panel brightness of one VT60 in THX Bright Room and it came out at 56 fL. I thought this was interesting information so we know now the real max output of this set. He said that his calibration would be a bit less bright because of increased gamma but will make the colors and skin look correct, and brighter whites. He has calibrated a VT60 recently this way and achieved 52 fL. Since we know that most calibrations for night mode would be about 34-38 fL, this would be a HUGE improvement. I would hope that I would be happy with that because that would definitely out do my VT25s. He also noted that I would be very disappointed to send back the VT60....which I already know.

I didn't really want to put any more money into this set....but my only other alternatives right now are to send this one back and not have a set for the forseeable future, go with LED (ugh), or pay 2-3 times as much as a calibration for the upgrade to F8500 in which I particularly don't like the stand. Decisions...decisions. Plus, I'm interested to see if this rumor is true about the panel aging and brightening up between 300 and 500 hours. I'm guessing I'm at 200-250 or so on my set but I haven't checked. I almost think that a Chad B calibration is the right way to go here..... It means a lot that he messaged me back. One of the other popular calibrators I contacted hasn't responded.

You will be very happy with Chad's calibration. He's calibrated several of my displays over the years and I have always been very happy. He's top notch.
post #10543 of 14001
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCF34 View Post

Just ordered 'WOW' to see if I can make any improvement even though I am very happy with THX Cinema.

I am using a 'fat' PS3 and a Pioneer Elite SC-63. Only connection to set is HDMI from receiver to HDMI 2 on Panasonic. Any settings I should have on the PS3 to make sure calibration is done correctly?

Also, the Pioneer upconverts 720p to 1080p. As the bluray is already in 1080p, I assume whether the upconversion being on or off on the Pioneer Elite is mute point for accurate calibration?

Thanks!

I have the WOW disc too but haven't popped it in yet. I have both the "fat" original 60GB ps3 as well as the newest model ps3 which I actually enjoy better. Cons are lack of inputs and no backwards compatibility but it's 2014 I'm sure there plenty of extensions or input components you can buy to add to it. BC is another story.

Anyway was wondering how you liked the disc compared to Dnice post break in settings? I always enjoyed DNICES on my KURO but the VT60 isn't as punchy as the KURO (not saying it lacks any either) but it seemed his setting worked best on my KURO. The vt60 PQ can use a little more punch to it but overall I enjoy his settings.

From my understanding the ZT60 is a little dimmer but provides better blacks and has identical picture quality to the VT60 with the VT going a little brighter. So the main difference isn't in PQ differences it's a environment difference. VT=moderate to no light and tHE ZT=bright rooms and best with no lights. That's the only difference I can see through all my readings and research besides the panel.
post #10544 of 14001
Keep in mind, everyone, that differences in picture quality can vary greatly from panel to panel. Simply imputing someone else's settings could do more harm than good.

If you're not satisfied with the default picture modes then picking up a good setup disc with test patterns is a worthwhile place to start. Digital Video Essentials is a good one and comes with color filters, the Disney Wow disc is a popular choice and, of course, there is the AVS 709 disc you can download for free right here on this site! Beyond that, hiring a trustworthy pro calibrator is your best choice.

Sorry, but eye-balling a whole bunch of settings found on the internet seems like a scattershot way to setup a tv.
post #10545 of 14001
Does anyone know if the AR filter in the VT60 doesn't limit viewing brightness when looking up at the TV like the Samsung F8500? My soon to be purchased TV will be mounted on a tilting mount above the fireplace about 7 feet up but I doubt the mount movement will get the tv perfectly parallel to a human viewer sitting on the couch. I am I correct in assuming the ZT series would act the same, too?
post #10546 of 14001
Quote:
Originally Posted by greginaz1 View Post

I just made the call to return this set...it is way too dim for me...especially in low light scenes where it seems dull and washed out in day or night viewing conditions (watching sports highlights now and court is dim...ice is dim)...it seems things need to have been filmed perfectly and the feed itself has to be perfect for this TV to shine and I would have to be in a cave too...I want more of an all purpose set that does well in most scenarios.

Congrats on making the big decision. I am envious because I still haven't been able to make mine. Keep us posted on what TV you end up with....I'm interested to know what you decide to do.
post #10547 of 14001
When setting the Gamut do you keep it at normal or REC 709
post #10548 of 14001
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

Keep in mind, everyone, that differences in picture quality can vary greatly from panel to panel. Simply imputing someone else's settings could do more harm than good.

If you're not satisfied with the default picture modes then picking up a good setup disc with test patterns is a worthwhile place to start. Digital Video Essentials is a good one and comes with color filters, the Disney Wow disc is a popular choice and, of course, there is the AVS 709 disc you can download for free right here on this site! Beyond that, hiring a trustworthy pro calibrator is your best choice.

Sorry, but eye-balling a whole bunch of settings found on the internet seems like a scattershot way to setup a tv.

I was just talking PQ difference between the VT and ZT which isn't huge enough to justify price unless you have a very bright room ten the ZT would be better but in dark settings they are identical from various reviews read mentioning the only difference being bright room performance
post #10549 of 14001
^Better contrast ratio in even dimmer rooms, though, likely due to aforementioned filter and possibly the single glass design/bonding process. In fact, this might be the difference that puts it on par with my former 111FD in a side-by-side (and may explain why you feel the VT60 is lacking slightly in depth in comparison to your 5020FD).
post #10550 of 14001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman00 View Post

Congrats on making the big decision. I am envious because I still haven't been able to make mine. Keep us posted on what TV you end up with....I'm interested to know what you decide to do.
Congrats? More like sorry to hear that. Lol

I am curious to what you will be getting. I think any 2013 edge lit LED is going to be a huge downgrade all around. Hopefully you have chosen the Samsung F8500 or to wait for a 2014 FALD LED.
post #10551 of 14001
Is there any easier way to change to different picture mode? Right now, I need to go into Menu, select Picture, and if I am lucky, I am in the first row and then select the different mode (if I happened to be making changes to other settting, then I have to scroll back to the first row).
Any user out there that are using Harmony or Irule or have any method so I can say press a button or send a command to get to a bright setting and another command to get to a dim-room setting (like THX Cinema or my professional1)? I often find that a bright setting is really too bright when I am watching movie at night, so I want to switch between at least 2 setting easily. Thanks in advance.
post #10552 of 14001
Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

Is there any easier way to change to different picture mode? Right now, I need to go into Menu, select Picture, and if I am lucky, I am in the first row and then select the different mode (if I happened to be making changes to other settting, then I have to scroll back to the first row).
Any user out there that are using Harmony or Irule or have any method so I can say press a button or send a command to get to a bright setting and another command to get to a dim-room setting (like THX Cinema or my professional1)? I often find that a bright setting is really too bright when I am watching movie at night, so I want to switch between at least 2 setting easily. Thanks in advance.

You could just trade with Greg. You may never have to worry about finding the 'dim' button ever again.
post #10553 of 14001
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Congrats? More like sorry to hear that. Lol

I am curious to what you will be getting. I think any 2013 edge lit LED is going to be a huge downgrade all around. Hopefully you have chosen the Samsung F8500 or to wait for a 2014 FALD LED.

Yeah, I'm sorry mainly because I have to start my research all over again...lol...but I have learned a lot...I hadn't really bought a high end set for 9 years and I thought this would be it and I'd be done...anyways I always learn more from my 'failures'.

Oh well.

I'm not a super videophile...I don't watch many movies mostly sports...and I don't have a dark cinema room...I just need a decent set that handles light, dark, etc...and I still do have a great 9 year old bright Pioneer plasma that I love to fall back on.

Flame away but I'm initially going to look at the 2013 Vizio M Series, M651d-A2R.

eek.gif
post #10554 of 14001
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPowers View Post

Maybe you misunderstood.
I may have misinterpreted your posts, and I'm still not sure I made my point.

I'm concerned about D-Nice's settings. There are actually two sets of settings -- one for use with the slides, and one for use with normal programming after completion of the slide procedure. As long as you never use his slide settings when you are watching normal programming you will be fine. I didn't intend to imply that you need to have a professional calibration, only that it's best to wait a while (at least 300 hours of normal use) before anyone pays for a professional calibration on a 2013 Panasonic plasma display.
post #10555 of 14001
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeLfMaDe111985 View Post

I'm planning on purchasing some audio equipment for the VT60 (DVR, surround system, etc). My fear is the audio sync issues which are causing a lag in audio and was wondering for those who use something besides the TVs speakers if you experience things such as lip sync and audio lags. (Have only seen a few posts about this so I'm guessing and hoping it's only affecting certain AV equipment)

Everything is great with the TVs speakers no lag what so ever in any mode or motion setting. But it seems like this issue happens once you use something else externally besides the speakers so was seeing if those with these types of set ups can comment and if it is an issue is it fixable?

I was able to partially correct it with the audio sync setting in the AVR. Most have this setting but make sure before you purchase one. The only source I was unable to consistently correct for was NetFlix and I've never found out why....
post #10556 of 14001
How long do you wait before putting in settings?

I've read about the AVF disc and the Disney WOW. Does anyone use these as their preferred picture modes?
post #10557 of 14001
Hi all, new to the vt60 owners club, purchased the tv from magnolia a few days before Christmas. So far, couldn't be happier. Jaw dropping picture and really enjoying the 3d experience. Just leaving it in THX cinema for now and may try some of the custom settings to get another perspective. Matched to my marantz 6005 and my def techs, we are really enjoying our HT.

Curious to know everybody's first tweak after getting the set?
post #10558 of 14001
i have the same question. i use a harmony 880 remote. it would be great to have direct buttons to change the picture mode without going into the menu. ideas anyone?
post #10559 of 14001
Quote:
Originally Posted by agorena123 View Post

Hi all, new to the vt60 owners club, purchased the tv from magnolia a few days before Christmas. So far, couldn't be happier. Jaw dropping picture and really enjoying the 3d experience. Just leaving it in THX cinema for now and may try some of the custom settings to get another perspective. Matched to my marantz 6005 and my def techs, we are really enjoying our HT.

Curious to know everybody's first tweak after getting the set?


Do a black and white level basic calibration then after around 500 hours I will get a proper calibration done.
post #10560 of 14001
Quote:
Originally Posted by neumei626 View Post

You could just trade with Greg. You may never have to worry about finding the 'dim' button ever again.
Man I'd like to think my set is defective based on how dim it is even in a dark room with THX Cinema or any of the other settings I tried. Brighter scenes looked great but low light were just bad. ???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]