or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 62

post #1831 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy2sp View Post

I will be replacing my 70" Sony SXRD XBR2 that has the green blob problem with the 65" VT, and I'm wondering if the 5" difference in picture size will make much of a difference. Also, for those who have this TV am I right in assuming the picture quality should be much better than the Sony I'm replacing?

Thanks for any input as I figure out what I'll be doing!

I owned the 60" SXRD XBR2 .. It was an amazing set for its day maybe the best .. After I had the blob a few times Sony sent me a free 60" led TV which I replaced with the 65"VT60 ... You will love your VT ! It makes the XBR2 look terrible (of course it wasn't)
post #1832 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Its an improvement for sure but what does that translate to in real world viewing ? due to the deeper blacks, the sets are pretty close if you see them side by side
Did you see them side by side? Are they reasonably close?
post #1833 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post

I'm having some puzzling HDMI connection issues with my 65VT60, a Sony BDP-S790, and an Onkyo TX-SR605 AVR. Anyone here using the Sony S790 with their VT60?

Yes I am. I have the video going directly into HDMI 1 on the VT60 and the second HDMI going directly into my Onkyo 805. You have to go into the Sony's settings to allow split HDMI output. Hope that helps but tell me what is happening in your end. This setup works great for me.
post #1834 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post

Yes I am. I have the video going directly into HDMI 1 on the VT60 and the second HDMI going directly into my Onkyo 805. You have to go into the Sony's settings to allow split HDMI output. Hope that helps but tell me what is happening in your end. This setup works great for me.

What are you trying to do? I use hdmi port 2 since that one has ARC. I have the same bluray player and a denon receiver. I have no issues. What is your issue again?
post #1835 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post

Yes I am. I have the video going directly into HDMI 1 on the VT60 and the second HDMI going directly into my Onkyo 805. You have to go into the Sony's settings to allow split HDMI output. Hope that helps but tell me what is happening in your end. This setup works great for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIG1001 View Post

What are you trying to do? I use hdmi port 2 since that one has ARC. I have the same bluray player and a denon receiver. I have no issues. What is your issue again?

I have only 2 HDMI IN ports on the old Onkyo AVR (no ARC). The cable TV STB is connected to the AVR's HDMI 1 IN port and then out (video only) to the Panny's HDMI 1 port. In the Sony S790 I have AV Separation ON and HDMI 1 is connected to the Panny TV's HDMI 3 and the 790's HDMI 2 is connected (for audio only) to the Onkyo's HDMI 2 IN port. Whether I'm using a 3D or 2D BD, I'm unable to hear any audio. While the BD movie video is playing thru the Panny's HDMI 3 port, if I then disconnect the HDMI cable (for cable TV) from the Panny TV's HDMI 1 port, then suddenly the BD movie audio is loud and clear! I've tried everything combination of swapping HDMI ports and HDMI cables I can think of to check whether the problem is a bad cable, bad HDMI ports, etc. When tested individually, my HDMI cables work fine and all the various HDMI ports are working. For example, if I turn AV Separation OFF, and run a single HDMI cable from the BDP to the AVR, then I can see and hear a 2D BD movie, using either of the Sony's HDMI 1 or 2 ports. The problem occurs when I turn AV Separation ON and try to use two HDMI cables at the same time. I believe it's basically a very stubborn AV Separation HDMI handshake problem/malfunction coming from the Sony BDP. Everything worked fine previously when connected to a Sony TV...that was replaced yesterday with the new Panny TV. Today I 'll try to exchange/swap the Sony BDP at BestBuy, although I've now exceeded their 15-day return period by 1 day. This has been the most difficult puzzle I've ever had to deal with in setting up any HT A/V equipment.
Thanks much for your inputs; I'll post the next chapter soon.
post #1836 of 13986
I have no idea since i have my HDMI 2 port going to my Receiver then one HDMI feeding the S790 and it works great

If your receiver has 2 HDMIs then i would get rid of it asap and upgrade
Sounds like a player issue or some setting either in the player then the TV

You should just find a receiver with at least 6 HDMI ports and upgrade . Does your receiver do 3d? or DTS-HD
post #1837 of 13986
Have you updated the Sony's firmware recently? That may fix it. Outside of that it is a very strange problem you are having. No clue why it would behave that way.
post #1838 of 13986
Thats right i just got a update the other night , i still have to do
post #1839 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post

The problem occurs when I turn AV Separation ON and try to use two HDMI cables at the same time. I believe it's basically a very stubborn AV Separation HDMI handshake problem/malfunction coming from the Sony BDP. Everything worked fine previously when connected to a Sony TV...that was replaced yesterday with the new Panny TV.

Hi Sgooter, I had this happen a few times (not with a Panny) and found just by turning off the tv and back on fix the HDMI handshake.

Or you can try power on the components in a certain order: bluray player -> receiver - hdtv
post #1840 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack7 View Post

I just got my 65vt60 four days ago and was apprehensive with all the talk about fan noise. Mine does have fan noise but it is barely discernable in a quiet room and sitting 9 feet away. I measured the noise at both the right and left grills and they were just over 60 db. Temperature at both was right at 100 degrees. The PQ is exceptional.


I have the same experience and sit about the same distance. I have a db meter so will need to check it like you did but guessing will be about the same. I hear a slight fan whirling sound with volume at zero but nothing with even a little volume. Defintely not as loud as the fan on my Toshiba XA2 HD DVD player that really made a lot of folks upset. XA2, now that's a term that seems ages ago. smile.gif Still does a stellar job for my main player to upconvert regular DVD's, so good makes me think it is HD some times. Anyhow I turn off the XA2 when not using it since the fan noise is a little louder than I want for a quiet room, VT60 on the other hand doesn't bother me since the whirl fan sound is much quieter, almost like a noise that is very easy to overlook, not that I have to since my room is seldom completely quiet.
post #1841 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrobert View Post

I have the same experience and sit about the same distance. I have a db meter so will need to check it like you did but guessing will be about the same. I hear a slight fan whirling sound with volume at zero but nothing with even a little volume. Defintely not as loud as the fan on my Toshiba XA2 HD DVD player that really made a lot of folks upset. XA2, now that's a term that seems ages ago. smile.gif Still does a stellar job for my main player to upconvert regular DVD's, so good makes me think it is HD some times. Anyhow I turn off the XA2 when not using it since the fan noise is a little louder than I want for a quiet room, VT60 on the other hand doesn't bother me since the whirl fan sound is much quieter, almost like a noise that is very easy to overlook, not that I have to since my room is seldom completely quiet.

Yes for me and my VT60 the fan noise is a non issue.
Mater of fact right out of the box I can't find any issues, pretty much like my VT50 no issues.

However I will not be able to determine the actual PQ until I can run a full LUT profile (4913 points).
Some of the default modes are fine as are they on my VT50. However I find Home theater mode to be a little different than any non-calibrated mode on my VT50.

ss
post #1842 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

Yes for me and my VT60 the fan noise is a non issue.
Mater of fact right out of the box I can't find any issues, pretty much like my VT50 no issues.

However I will not be able to determine the actual PQ until I can run a full LUT profile (4913 points).



Some of the default modes are fine as are they on my VT50. However I find Home theater mode to be a little different than any non-calibrated mode on my VT50.

ss

Can someone clarify does the F8500 have 2 fans? I recall it didnt when i first saw it
post #1843 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIG1001 View Post

Thats right i just got a update the other night , i still have to do
I updated the FW in the Sony BDP last night during my troubleshooting, but it didn't fix the problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi Sgooter, I had this happen a few times (not with a Panny) and found just by turning off the tv and back on fix the HDMI handshake.
Or you can try power on the components in a certain order: bluray player -> receiver - hdtv
I recall reading your suggestion in an earlier post (perhaps on another thread), and tried off/on several times and changed the power on order as well. Nothing changed.
Today, I was able to swap the Sony BDP for the same item at BB, thanks to the intervention of a friendly store manager who agreed to waive their 15-day return/exchange time limit.
BTW, all of my HDMI cables are high-speed 6ft 28AWG from Monoprice.
I probably will not re-engage on this puzzle for a few days, and I acknowledge that I may need a new AVR.

As for the new 65VT60 from Cleveland Plasma, can you believe Chris arranged for flawless delivery in less than 48 hours - WOW!
I'm using THX Cinema for the 1st two weeks - looks great. Fan noise is a total non-issue so far.

FWIW, I read a post on another thread saying it was possible to turn off the TV speakers by going into Viera Link, but my Link shows as being not accessible, so I can't confirm the tip about the speakers. I think the poster was Heywould.

Thanks to all again for your helpful efforts to solve my puzzles.
Edited by Sgooter - 5/24/13 at 9:46am
post #1844 of 13986
In regards to fan noise, has anyone exchanged their 65VT60 because of it and did the second set still have the noise? My 65VT60 has the noise, and trying to figure out if it's my set or a general design issue with the VT. It could be the acoustics of the room too (converted basement). Dimensions of room are 7.5' H x 11.2' W x 18' L. The fans are 9" away from wall and 3' from celing. So I may be a victim of the room rather than the fan noise. I really don't want to have to buy dampening material after just purchasing the TV, but I may be forced to if it's the room itself. The back of the TV is not hot to touch but I'm running slides so the CPU is not heavily in use. And the room itself does not get hot, stays a cool 65F most of the time. Also thinking it could be dirty power, but I don't have anything to measure what's going into the TV at the socket. Any thoughts? Should I exchange for another VT60? TV looks great and hate to part with it for fear of something else failing...
post #1845 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by daferret View Post

In regards to fan noise, has anyone exchanged their 65VT60 because of it and did the second set still have the noise? My 65VT60 has the noise, and trying to figure out if it's my set or a general design issue with the VT. It could be the acoustics of the room too (converted basement). Dimensions of room are 7.5' H x 11.2' W x 18' L. The fans are 9" away from wall and 3' from celing. So I may be a victim of the room rather than the fan noise. I really don't want to have to buy dampening material after just purchasing the TV, but I may be forced to if it's the room itself. The back of the TV is not hot to touch but I'm running slides so the CPU is not heavily in use. And the room itself does not get hot, stays a cool 65F most of the time. Also thinking it could be dirty power, but I don't have anything to measure what's going into the TV at the socket. Any thoughts? Should I exchange for another VT60? TV looks great and hate to part with it for fear of something else failing...
imo if you turn volume up and cannot hear it keep it..smile.gif Mine i hear hum or fan if it's quiet but with sound on do not hear it...
post #1846 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy2sp View Post

I will be replacing my 70" Sony SXRD XBR2 that has the green blob problem with the 65" VT, and I'm wondering if the 5" difference in picture size will make much of a difference. Also, for those who have this TV am I right in assuming the picture quality should be much better than the Sony I'm replacing?

Thanks for any input as I figure out what I'll be doing!
For the picture quality gain, the 5" in this case will not be missed. Get ready to be wowed with latest and greatest.
post #1847 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniswrly View Post

imo if you turn volume up and cannot hear it keep it..smile.gif Mine i hear hum or fan if it's quiet but with sound on do not hear it...

Thanks Dennis, I can turn the volume up and the 5.1 surround does help drown it out, but with a newborn on the way I don't know that I can get away with having the volume up so high, granted I may not be watching much TV once the newborn is here, but going to try and get him to appreciate what a fine panel should look like early in life biggrin.gif
post #1848 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by daferret View Post

Thanks Dennis, I can turn the volume up and the 5.1 surround does help drown it out, but with a newborn on the way I don't know that I can get away with having the volume up so high, granted I may not be watching much TV once the newborn is here, but going to try and get him to appreciate what a fine panel should look like early in life biggrin.gif

Do things as you normally would without a newborn. My sister raised her three kids with normal noise levels in her house and all three of them can fall and stay asleep with ungodly amounts of noise in the house. If you tip toe around the house they will be more than likely "light sleepers". Anyone I know who vacuumed or did others things with young ones had no problem with their kids sleeping.

The baby will be lucky to watch Barney and friends on such a beautiful display!
post #1849 of 13986
Ok one thing is driving me crazy with my VT60. Once every 4-8 hours or so the Netflix app will just load by itself. It happened a couple of times while I was running DNICEs slides..I happened to walk into the room and the nice bright NETFLIX login screen is up. It has also happened when watching dish network and blu rays.


Anyone else have this issue?
post #1850 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Peake View Post

Ok one thing is driving me crazy with my VT60. Once every 4-8 hours or so the Netflix app will just load by itself. It happened a couple of times while I was running DNICEs slides..I happened to walk into the room and the nice bright NETFLIX login screen is up. It has also happened when watching dish network and blu rays.


Anyone else have this issue?
eek.gif I think thats the first Ive heard that one.
post #1851 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniswrly View Post

imo if you turn volume up and cannot hear it keep it..smile.gif Mine i hear hum or fan if it's quiet but with sound on do not hear it...

Yea i get the same noise .. White noise...but cant hear if volume is up
post #1852 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

eek.gif I think thats the first Ive heard that one.

Take the batteries out of your remote . Could e a stuck button
post #1853 of 13986
I have a media center pc with an IR dongle plugged into so I can use my harmony remote.

When I have the VT60 turned on that dongle blinks randomly (fairly often) like it's receiving IR signals from a remote. When the TV is off it doesn't happen and it didn't happen with my previous LCD (HX909). Could this be the plasma vs the previous LCD? Nothing else changed in my setup.
post #1854 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by daferret View Post

Thanks Dennis, I can turn the volume up and the 5.1 surround does help drown it out, but with a newborn on the way I don't know that I can get away with having the volume up so high, granted I may not be watching much TV once the newborn is here, but going to try and get him to appreciate what a fine panel should look like early in life biggrin.gif


Friendly advice, don't keep the house dead quiet for a newborn. I saw my brother make that mistake the first kid he had out of three and every little sound that occurred, even if small, the baby woke up. I intentionally always had music playing, not loud but surely not soft either, and my daughter slept even through loud movies while she was sleeping in her crib. Thank goodness for modern technology such as baby monitors etc. to know when / if there is an issue.

Good luck and congrats on the little one coming soon. smile.gif
post #1855 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by laakness View Post

I have a media center pc with an IR dongle plugged into so I can use my harmony remote.

When I have the VT60 turned on that dongle blinks randomly (fairly often) like it's receiving IR signals from a remote. When the TV is off it doesn't happen and it didn't happen with my previous LCD (HX909). Could this be the plasma vs the previous LCD? Nothing else changed in my setup.

Both my Microsoft IR receivers do the same thing. The TV is emitting IR that gets reflected back to the receiver, and these receivers will blink at the drop of a hat even if they don't process the signal. I find the frequency of the blinks typically tracks the APL of whatever the TV's displaying.
post #1856 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

Both my Microsoft IR receivers do the same thing. The TV is emitting IR that gets reflected back to the receiver, and these receivers will blink at the drop of a hat even if they don't process the signal. I find the frequency of the blinks typically tracks the APL of whatever the TV's displaying.

Great, thanks. At least I'm not crazy smile.gif

Luckily none of the signals are actually processed as valid codes.
post #1857 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrobert View Post

Well I guess it's all how one interprets the wording of a shade better. To me, this is a huge statement when talking about the reference KURO. Pretty amazing since so many for so long have wondered when the day would be, now they can have that with even a much bigger screen size to boot. smile.gif
Cheers!
Yes it is true, however they are many that can see that slight difference, but when compared to the whole population on earth it is a tiny dot of people.
post #1858 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrobert View Post

Well I guess it's all how one interprets the wording of a shade better. To me, this is a huge statement when talking about the reference KURO. Pretty amazing since so many for so long have wondered when the day would be, now they can have that with even a much bigger screen size to boot. smile.gif
Cheers!
Yes it is true, however they are many that can see that slight difference, but when compared to the whole population on earth it is a tiny dot of people.
Compared to the population of Cleveland, it's a tiny dot of people unless the displays are side by side. wink.gif
Edited by htwaits - 5/24/13 at 3:00pm
post #1859 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Yes it is true, however they are many that can see that slight difference, but when compared to the whole population on earth it is a tiny dot of people.


Okay, not sure I understand your point. I'm not going to disagree that very few can see the difference, probably true but sure more could see it side by side which is how CNET did it with the VT60 directly compared to their reference KURO.

So my only point is the VT60 is a hair better from what they noticed across the board to see overall what provided the best picture to watch. Based on this and other great things mentioned by other reviewers, the VT60 is a reference picture. Finally it has come for all folks to enjoy such a great picture at less than half the price with even bigger sizes to choose. Pretty cool!

Have a great Holiday weekend.
post #1860 of 13986
WooooHoooooo...


65VT60 was just delivered today. Running slides as we speak!

Zero Buzz (unless ear is right behind panel with bright scene)

Zero Fan Noise. (unless ear is right behind panel)

This thing is a beast. Can't wait to put it on the wall.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]