or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 101

post #3001 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by smc View Post

What are considered the reference 3D's - Avatar?...others?

Hugo and IMAX Under the Sea.
post #3002 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

I feel your pain.. Everytime i turn my GT50 on, I first have to stare at the Viera logo right smack in the middle of the screen for about 5-10 mins until it goes away,, then in some bright
scenes i get to gaze at the big H from the history channel logo that's there permanently, now.. Go with the F8500, they are much less prone to IR. Tv watching is supposed to be a relaxing
experience, who wants to worry about IR all the time, and go around constantly changing the channels to avoid it..

My VT60 had that Viera logo stay on the screen when I first turned on my VT during the first few hundred hrs. Now that I have gotten more hours on my display it goes away instantly when it comes up on power-up. If you read CNET's review of the two displays David states that the 8500 is more prone to image retention then either the VT/ZT - for what that's worth. The owner needs to get a few more hours on their display before getting too adventurous with static images. I have had no issues with my VT60 and it has been getting a workout since I bought it at the end of May - great picture/larger screen equal more time in front of it. Are you enjoying yours? rolleyes.gif
post #3003 of 13990
I had intended to use the D-Nice settings, which were never posted, so the first 100 hours on mine was the slide show. I'll never know if there was some IR early on, but I haven't seen a hint of it so far.

Have we honestly reached the point where members are choosing the F8500 over the VT60 due to IR fear? While one might prefer the F8500 to use in a bright room, I just can't imagine making the choice because of IR.
post #3004 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

I feel your pain.. Everytime i turn my GT50 on, I first have to stare at the Viera logo right smack in the middle of the screen for about 5-10 mins until it goes away,, then in some bright
scenes i get to gaze at the big H from the history channel logo that's there permanently, now.. Go with the F8500, they are much less prone to IR. Tv watching is supposed to be a relaxing
experience, who wants to worry about IR all the time, and go around constantly changing the channels to avoid it..

The Panasonics have less IR this year compared to the F8500 based on my experiences with both sets and other reports I've heard.
post #3005 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

The Panasonics have less IR this year compared to the F8500 based on my experiences with both sets and other reports I've heard.
I have had 3 pannys in last year and I say on my vt60 I seen no issue.on vt50 yes but not bad.I think its how I break them in and tv use idk
post #3006 of 13990
Based on what I have read here and in some other reviews and checking out these two sets in real life (though not side by side), comparing st60 and vt60 --

The pluses of the vt60 are: a) better blacks and better PQ b) better 3D and c) better looks - doesn't have the issue of shiny reflective and distracting bezel. I have a separate tv for gaming so don't really care about the input lag even if its slightly better on the vt60.

The minuses of the vt60 are: a) higher price of course b) some fan noise c) not as bright as st60 so may be worse in a bright room (is this true?)

How far/close am I in the above comparative points? Any feedback is appreciated.
post #3007 of 13990
Tony was running through a laundry list in the F8500 thread of just how it's sooo superior. I wouldn't be too concerned with the bias he's showing. My ZT60 similarly is about as afflicted by IR as much as the ole' Kuro workhouse is, which is virtually nil.
post #3008 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Tony was running through a laundry list in the F8500 thread of just how it's sooo superior. I wouldn't be too concerned with the bias he's showing. My ZT60 similarly is about as afflicted by IR as much as the ole' Kuro workhouse is, which is virtually nil.

He is a troll I would disregard
post #3009 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniswrly View Post

I have had 3 pannys in last year and I say on my vt60 I seen no issue.on vt50 yes but not bad.I think its how I break them in and tv use idk

My ST30 had it despite 500 hours of break-in, but this year does seem much better.
post #3010 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

The Panasonics have less IR this year compared to the F8500 based on my experiences with both sets and other reports I've heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniswrly View Post

I have had 3 pannys in last year and I say on my vt60 I seen no issue.on vt50 yes but not bad.I think its how I break them in and tv use idk


You forgot less buzzing this year as well
post #3011 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by scientifix View Post

Based on what I have read here and in some other reviews and checking out these two sets in real life (though not side by side), comparing st60 and vt60 --

The pluses of the vt60 are: a) better blacks and better PQ b) better 3D and c) better looks - doesn't have the issue of shiny reflective and distracting bezel. I have a separate tv for gaming so don't really care about the input lag even if its slightly better on the vt60.

The minuses of the vt60 are: a) higher price of course b) some fan noise c) not as bright as st60 so may be worse in a bright room (is this true?)

How far/close am I in the above comparative points? Any feedback is appreciated.

I would like to specifically know about the brightness aspect of the vt60 as that is an important point for me. Although I don't have crazy bright room and I have positioned my tv and seating area such that the sun light from windows don't directly fall on my tv. Currently I do have a plasma but to view that in day time many times I end up switching to Vivid mode. Granted my current plasma is 9 years old and might have lost a lot of panel brightness over the years.
post #3012 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by scientifix View Post

Based on what I have read here and in some other reviews and checking out these two sets in real life (though not side by side), comparing st60 and vt60 --

The pluses of the vt60 are: a) better blacks and better PQ b) better 3D and c) better looks - doesn't have the issue of shiny reflective and distracting bezel. I have a separate tv for gaming so don't really care about the input lag even if its slightly better on the vt60.

The minuses of the vt60 are: a) higher price of course b) some fan noise c) not as bright as st60 so may be worse in a bright room (is this true?)

How far/close am I in the above comparative points? Any feedback is appreciated.

Regarding fan noise, I do not hear it on my VT60 (nor did I on my first unit). I had Chad B here a week ago and he couldn't hear it either. I really think ventilation plays a factor here. I hear no buzz either.
post #3013 of 13990
I was also concerned about this. I was changing from a rear projection set to the 65vt60. My living room is about 15x25 and directly behind it is the kitchen\dining area. There are two sets of windows on the west wall (right side) of the living room and the room is pretty flooded with light during the day. The light would wash out the picture on my rear projection set. With the plasma, these don't have near the affect. The screen is reflective glass, but the light coming in from the side isn't bad. But directly across from the set about 40-50 ft away is the window over the sink and it is VERY distraction and shows up like a mirror. I put up a light blocking shade and it's not an issue now. In the picture, you can see the light coming in from the side, but it isn't reflected on the screen and doesn't wash out the picture. This is in custom mode with the setting from cnet. I have found that when it is really bright, I switch to THX bright room and get a very good picture.
post #3014 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Regarding fan noise, I do not hear it on my VT60 (nor did I on my first unit). I had Chad B here a week ago and he couldn't hear it either. I really think ventilation plays a factor here. I hear no buzz either.

Do you have it wall mounted? This is what I'm planning to do.

Thanks.
post #3015 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Rabbit View Post

I was also concerned about this. I was changing from a rear projection set to the 65vt60. My living room is about 15x25 and directly behind it is the kitchen\dining area. There are two sets of windows on the west wall (right side) of the living room and the room is pretty flooded with light during the day. The light would wash out the picture on my rear projection set. With the plasma, these don't have near the affect. The screen is reflective glass, but the light coming in from the side isn't bad. But directly across from the set about 40-50 ft away is the window over the sink and it is VERY distraction and shows up like a mirror. I put up a light blocking shade and it's not an issue now. In the picture, you can see the light coming in from the side, but it isn't reflected on the screen and doesn't wash out the picture. This is in custom mode with the setting from cnet. I have found that when it is really bright, I switch to THX bright room and get a very good picture.
Understand that direct reflection of light - for example reflection of sunlight through a window or even reflection of a table lamp at night etc would be an issue. I would think that will be an issue for any tv with a reflective glass (st60, vt60, f8500 etc) - pretty much all plasmas. But your picture gives a good idea, my setup would be similar. Thanks.
post #3016 of 13990
^^^^ Seeing that most LED's have a glossy screen now, it is OK to include all TV's in what you are saying........
post #3017 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by scientifix View Post

Do you have it wall mounted? This is what I'm planning to do.

Thanks.

I have it on a stand and in a very open area.
post #3018 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by smc View Post

What are considered the reference 3D's - Avatar?...others?

What I consider good 3D is depth, color and detail, not the gimmicky fake "jump out" effects. If you like those, check out Piranha 3D tongue.gif

Reference(in my opinion). No particular order:

Avatar
Tron: Legacy
Oz The Great And Powerful(this one is probably at the top of my list.. simply amazing)
Dredd(Was surprised how good it really was)
Avengers
Captain America
John Carter
Transformers: Dark of The Moon(mainly just the first 10 minutes)
Alice In Wonderland
Hugo
Immortals
Green Lantern

And just about every animated 3D movie is great as well.

That should be a good start for those just starting out with the 3D experience. In my opinion, they all display what 3D should be, and is capable of, without all the fake jump out crap. I should mention, some that I listed aren't the best "movie" or plot(in my opinion), but the 3D is outstanding!
post #3019 of 13990
Yup, a pity about Avatar. It was painful enough to watch the first time.
post #3020 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Yup, a pity about Avatar. It was painful enough to watch the first time.

To funny! I seen it the first time on DVD, then was forced to watch it again when I got a BD player. Now when I get my ZT I'll have to suffer through it again in 3D. biggrin.gif
post #3021 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

What I consider good 3D is depth, color and detail, not the gimmicky fake "jump out" effects. If you like those, check out Piranha 3D tongue.gif

Reference(in my opinion). No particular order:

Avatar
Tron: Legacy
Oz The Great And Powerful(this one is probably at the top of my list.. simply amazing)
Dredd(Was surprised how good it really was)
Avengers
Captain America
John Carter
Transformers: Dark of The Moon(mainly just the first 10 minutes)
Alice In Wonderland
Hugo
Immortals
Green Lantern

And just about every animated 3D movie is great as well.

That should be a good start for those just starting out with the 3D experience. In my opinion, they all display what 3D should be, and is capable of, without all the fake jump out crap. I should mention, some that I listed aren't the best "movie" or plot(in my opinion), but the 3D is outstanding!

Thanks. Were you able to view Thor in 3D? I've actually wanted to buy Thor, Captain American, and Avengers on 2D for some time now, so when the prices are right, will probably just pick up all three in 3D especially since they come with the 2D version anyway.
post #3022 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Thanks. Were you able to view Thor in 3D? I've actually wanted to buy Thor, Captain American, and Avengers on 2D for some time now, so when the prices are right, will probably just pick up all three in 3D especially since they come with the 2D version anyway.

I have heard the Jurrasic Park 3d conversion is excellent might be worth checking out
post #3023 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

I have heard the Jurrasic Park 3d conversion is excellent might be worth checking out

Yes, another one I want to get! Always enjoyed the first movie.
post #3024 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Yes, another one I want to get! Always enjoyed the first movie.

And it would take advantage of that new calibrated sound system smile.gif always a plus.
post #3025 of 13990
Yes, chunon is spot on for that one.

Titanic is an amazing watchthrough as well. Another example of 3D adding to the movie and sets.
post #3026 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

Yes, chunon is spot on for that one.

Titanic is an amazing watchthrough as well. Another example of 3D adding to the movie and sets.

Actually you are the person I heard that from smile.gif Haven't seen Titantic either need to check it out.
post #3027 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Thanks. Were you able to view Thor in 3D? I've actually wanted to buy Thor, Captain American, and Avengers on 2D for some time now, so when the prices are right, will probably just pick up all three in 3D especially since they come with the 2D version anyway.

Yes, and i almost put it on my list. Its pretty decent.
post #3028 of 13990
I feel that I am pretty set on going with a 60 series Panasonic over the Samsung 8500. My debate is whether or not the 60" VT is worth the premium over the 65" ST (~$200). I have seen the calibration reports from both and either would be an improvement over my 60" LG PK550. In my shoes. Which TV do you choose?

Primary viewing is DirecTV and .mkv files from an HTPC. The set will not be professionally calibrated, but I do own Chromapure and a few meters (i1 Pro and Display 3 pro), so it will be calibrated by me as necessary. smile.gif
post #3029 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by slosvt View Post

I feel that I am pretty set on going with a 60 series Panasonic over the Samsung 8500. My debate is whether or not the 60" VT is worth the premium over the 65" ST (~$200). I have seen the calibration reports from both and either would be an improvement over my 60" LG PK550. In my shoes. Which TV do you choose?

Primary viewing is DirecTV and .mkv files from an HTPC. The set will not be professionally calibrated, but I do own Chromapure and a few meters (i1 Pro and Display 3 pro), so it will be calibrated by me as necessary. smile.gif

For $200 get the VT, more flexibility with picture modes, some THX presets, full CMS and slightly better blacks and just a better looking set all around. But if size is a factor can't go wrong with either one
post #3030 of 13990
Anyone tried one of these sets out with a Denon AVR-5805Mk2?

Am eying a ZT or a VT 65"-er, would obviously not be doing 3D directly through it, but am a bit concerned after reading somebody's issues with P65VT60 and his Denon AVR-2307CI ("Every time I connected the Panasonic to the Denon, the Denon would crash and become unresponsive. Switching back to the old TV immediately resolved the problems." (the old TV being an older Panasonic)).

Have no intention of replacing my Denon any time soon (unless it starts billowing smoke or something like that), so would like to know if anyone's successfully run this set through an older Denon AVR, in particular mine or some other one circa 2006 or so (I think uses HDMI 1.1, but the variation of it that supports 1080p/24 and multichannel PCM (I use 5 channels, but think it supports more than that).

Any real world experience?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]