or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 266

post #7951 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

I would sacrifice a LOT of tv for a decent sound system. To me, sound is as important as PQ when involving me in a movie or show.

While i agree sound quality is important for full immersion, i strongly disagree about sacrificing TV quality for audio.

With the current status of the television market, decent panels are hard to come by. Audio is always evolving and can be attained at anytime. Id invest in the TV first, while you can still get quality, and piece together the audio as you go.

Just my opinion.
post #7952 of 13986
Theyre probably equally important to me. With a slight nod to video quality.
post #7953 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

I would sacrifice a LOT of tv for a decent sound system. To me, sound is as important as PQ when involving me in a movie or show.
I would not downgrade from a 65VT60 in size or quality in order to purchase a sound system. Much easier to go out and buy a sound system later on then go out and buy a better TV.

I can also say the sound on the VT60 has been better then any other LED or plasma I have had in my house the last few months. I have absolutely no regrets. When the time comes I will add some sound. Until then, I am pretty content.
post #7954 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

I would sacrifice a LOT of tv for a decent sound system. To me, sound is as important as PQ when involving me in a movie or show.

I am getting my 65VT60 tomorrow replacing a Panny PZ80U (50") from 2008. I currently have an older 7.1 Onkyo HTIB (No HDMI/HD) which sounds okay but definitely needs upgrading soon. I have my PS3 and Cable Box connected through optical inputs which works well with my PZ80U. I cannot get HD sound but can get DTS/Discrete/Dolby Dig 5.1/7.1 etc... and the bypassing/syncing is fine. I am hoping I can achieve this same setup with the VT65. Can anyone see any road blocks or anything that would prevent me from doing this until I can upgrade sound system?
post #7955 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boos View Post

Update on softness after f/w update:

After double checking every setting in my VT's Picture menu as well as source BD player etc. for cause of downgrade in pq, I decided to run another HDMI cable straight to the tv in addition to the one running through my receiver (Yamaha rx-a 1020) from the BD Player's dual HDMI outs and toggle between the two. Sure enough the softness issue was not present on the direct connection. What's more, when I switched back to the receiver input (I normally do all my video switching through the receiver), the softness was not present on that input anymore either.

I'm not even going to begin to try to figure out what went temporarily wrong but it is safe to assume my issue was due to my normally rock-solid receiver and not the firmware update itself. Apologies for muddying the waters. (Aside from that glitch, I have noticed no differences or changes after update.)



And that just leaves one...................smile.gif
post #7956 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by IINEWBIEII View Post

I am getting my 65VT60 tomorrow replacing a Panny PZ80U (50") from 2008. I currently have an older 7.1 Onkyo HTIB (No HDMI/HD) which sounds okay but definitely needs upgrading soon. I have my PS3 and Cable Box connected through optical inputs which works well with my PZ80U. I cannot get HD sound but can get DTS/Discrete/Dolby Dig 5.1/7.1 etc... and the bypassing/syncing is fine. I am hoping I can achieve this same setup with the VT65. Can anyone see any road blocks or anything that would prevent me from doing this until I can upgrade sound system?

Not quite sure I understand your previous setup, but I'm in a similar situation with a really old receiver (doesn't even have component video switching but DOES have multi-channel analog audio inputs). What I've done for now is run HDMI from DVR, blu-ray, and my XBox direct to my new VT60. Then I have optical cables from the DVR, XBox, VT60 (for Netflix) to the receiver and for HD sound my blu-ray player decodes the HD audio codecs internally and outputs them over 7.1 analog audio outputs and I have that run in a 5.1 setup to my receiver's multi-channel inputs.
post #7957 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbados11 View Post

If one takes several online reviewers results into consideration, it seems your comments would be spot on if applied to the ST60 compared to the VT50.
I wiould probably sell VT-50 then upgrade to VT-60,I am tired of upgrading because its not a Shirt that you can return to the Store or give to someone or donate!!!!!!!!mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif
post #7958 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

While i agree sound quality is important for full immersion, i strongly disagree about sacrificing TV quality for audio.

With the current status of the television market, decent panels are hard to come by. Audio is always evolving and can be attained at anytime. Id invest in the TV first, while you can still get quality, and piece together the audio as you go.

Just my opinion.

Not trying to be contrary, but it's interesting how different folks are. I'm on the opposite spectrum. I upgraded my sound first, and I now own an epic sound system (IMO). I stuck with my DLP for 5 years to get the best sound first. Now I finally have the cash to upgrade the TV. I'm super stoked on getting the VT60 next week, but I wouldn't have done it any other way.

I know lots of folks who still listen to their TV with the TV speakers, which is an unspeakable, unimaginable horror in my house. So clearly there are people who are going to like video first, sound 2nd (or don't care at all about sound).
post #7959 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by osupike99 View Post


ARC seems to be working fine with Denon/Marantz AVRs.




Alex

Excellent that your combo works well. Hopefully this info can be organized well.

post #7960 of 13986

Ordered a 55vt60 earlier today. Should be here Friday!

post #7961 of 13986
Apologies if this is old news, but I was able to successfully use a Bluetooth HP Touchpad keyboard to sign in to Netflix on my P65VT60. It paired within seconds.
post #7962 of 13986
I did the f/w update last night and am not seeing any ill effect on my VT60.
post #7963 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boos View Post

Update on softness after f/w update:

After double checking every setting in my VT's Picture menu as well as source BD player etc. for cause of downgrade in pq, I decided to run another HDMI cable straight to the tv in addition to the one running through my receiver (Yamaha rx-a 1020) from the BD Player's dual HDMI outs and toggle between the two. Sure enough the softness issue was not present on the direct connection. What's more, when I switched back to the receiver input (I normally do all my video switching through the receiver), the softness was not present on that input anymore either.

I'm not even going to begin to try to figure out what went temporarily wrong but it is safe to assume my issue was due to my normally rock-solid receiver and not the firmware update itself. Apologies for muddying the waters. (Aside from that glitch, I have noticed no differences or changes after update.)

I can sympathize. I have one of those WTFs? about once every two weeks with my stuff. It was hard, but I've learned to just move on without getting all OCD about it...smile.gif
post #7964 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbados11 View Post

Excellent that your combo works well. Hopefully this info can be organized well.

Ditto Marantz SR5005. But it took me awhile to get it activated. Still don't know why.
post #7965 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post

Not trying to be contrary, but it's interesting how different folks are. I'm on the opposite spectrum. I upgraded my sound first, and I now own an epic sound system (IMO). I stuck with my DLP for 5 years to get the best sound first. Now I finally have the cash to upgrade the TV. I'm super stoked on getting the VT60 next week, but I wouldn't have done it any other way.

I know lots of folks who still listen to their TV with the TV speakers, which is an unspeakable, unimaginable horror in my house. So clearly there are people who are going to like video first, sound 2nd (or don't care at all about sound).

Same here. Also, I do a helluva lot more listening than viewing on average.
post #7966 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinion View Post

Not quite sure I understand your previous setup, but I'm in a similar situation with a really old receiver (doesn't even have component video switching but DOES have multi-channel analog audio inputs). What I've done for now is run HDMI from DVR, blu-ray, and my XBox direct to my new VT60. Then I have optical cables from the DVR, XBox, VT60 (for Netflix) to the receiver and for HD sound my blu-ray player decodes the HD audio codecs internally and outputs them over 7.1 analog audio outputs and I have that run in a 5.1 setup to my receiver's multi-channel inputs.

I tried to count up the number of cables but lost count...smile.gif
post #7967 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip2u77 View Post

Apologies if this is old news, but I was able to successfully use a Bluetooth HP Touchpad keyboard to sign in to Netflix on my P65VT60. It paired within seconds.
Good to know, thanks for posting!
post #7968 of 13986
Anyone try Plasma Buying Guides VT60 settings and if you did, what do you think?

Also, for the brightness setting, will raising it give you darker blacks or lighter? I notice that D-Nice has the this set to +6,
post #7969 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Anyone try Plasma Buying Guides VT60 settings and if you did, what do you think?

Also, for the brightness setting, will raising it give you darker blacks or lighter? I notice that D-Nice has the this set to +6,

This last sentence brings up a question: Can someone help us understand brightness vs. contrast? I think someone on here recommend setting contrast to your liking first, then brightness. Do I have that right? If so what is the benefit of that vs. the other way around?

Thanks, Scott
post #7970 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Also, for the brightness setting, will raising it give you darker blacks or lighter?

Raising the brightness will give you lighter blacks. You should use something like AVS HD 709 or the Disney WOW disc to dial in the correct brightness setting for your panel.
post #7971 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

I would sacrifice a LOT of tv for a decent sound system. To me, sound is as important as PQ when involving me in a movie or show.
So what you are saying is I should have taken out about $500 from my TV budget for a sound system. So instead of buying a 65VT60 I should have bought a 60ST60 even though I sit a little further then 12 ft. from the screen. Or maybe a low end 65" Samsung or Vizio LED. That would have reallly been much more enjoyable.

Anyone use the touch remote? I don not understsnd why they continue to make 2 remotes. If the touch remote cannot full replace the non-touch one then what is the point.

LG got it right with their remote and the pointer. I love that remote and there is only one needed. I know, a lot of people here with unlimited funds will tell me if I own a TV like this I should have a $200 universal remote and they cannot believe there are people that still use the remote the TV comes with. lol
Edited by eric3316 - 12/10/13 at 7:13am
post #7972 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

While i agree sound quality is important for full immersion, i strongly disagree about sacrificing TV quality for audio.

With the current status of the television market, decent panels are hard to come by. Audio is always evolving and can be attained at anytime. Id invest in the TV first, while you can still get quality, and piece together the audio as you go.

Just my opinion.

I completely agree.
post #7973 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

I completely agree.

Well, actually TV technology is constantly changing and improving too. Additionally, a TV is a one-time investment; not always so with an audio system. Sometimes its a very incremental process to get exactly what you're looking for sound-wise, for your particular environment. Also, as I mentioned previously, a good audio system can provide enjoyment over a longer period of time during an average day (at least for me); I don't watch TV continuously throughout the day like I might listen to background music.

In the end, it really comes down to whether you're audio guy or a video guy, right? Neither is more right or wrong than the other.

At least in my opinion...
post #7974 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post

This last sentence brings up a question: Can someone help us understand brightness vs. contrast? I think someone on here recommend setting contrast to your liking first, then brightness. Do I have that right? If so what is the benefit of that vs. the other way around?

Thanks, Scott
Basically Contrast is white level and Brightness is black level. Brighter Contrast will give you whiter whites. Darker Brightness will give you blacker blacks.
post #7975 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post

Well, actually TV technology is constantly changing and improving too. Additionally, a TV is a one-time investment; not always so with an audio system. Sometimes its a very incremental process to get exactly what you're looking for sound-wise, for your particular environment. Also, as I mentioned previously, a good audio system can provide enjoyment over a longer period of time during an average day (at least for me); I don't watch TV continuously throughout the day like I might listen to background music.

In the end, it really comes down to whether you're audio guy or a video guy, right? Neither is more right or wrong than the other.

At least in my opinion...

Yeah, it really just depends on preferences at the end of the day. I have tended to upgrade my displays more often than anything in my audio. However, there is always good audio stuff to choose from - nothing going away. Plasma has rapidly improved the last few years and is now essentially going away and you're going to be stuck with very expensive curved OLEDs or mediocre LED. At this point, I believe the 2013 Panasonic plasmas will be the last best plasmas available, so there could be a market void for some.
post #7976 of 13986
Received my TC-P65VT60 from Amazon yesterday. Before Panasonic ceases production next year, I wanted to make sure I had the biggest and best (don't need ZT60/F8500 bright room capabilities) plasma Panasonic offers. The VT60 is an upgrade to a TC-P60ST60 that I also purchased thru Amazon a few months ago. Before the ST60, I had a 2007 Panasonic TH-50PX77U plasma.

First, at my 8' viewing distance, I was glad to find fan noise and power supply buzzing are not objectionable on my August 2013 build. For what it's worth, August 2013 and later builds are supposed to have the foam fix already done at the factory, so maybe that's why the fan noise is acceptable. Buzzing is on par with the ST60, which is say, minimal.

I immediately put the VT60 in THX Cinema mode and calibrated contrast, brightness, color, and tint using Spears & Munsil HD Benckmark, 2nd edition. Also did the same thing for my TC-P60ST60 when I got it, except I used Cinema mode since there is no THX Cinema mode on the ST60 series.

Did a little side-by-side viewing with my Blu-ray demo material, and I have to concur the VT60 does look better, but not by a huge margin. I guess that is a testament to just how good of a value the ST60 series is. Definitely like the look the VT60 better though, with the one sheet of glass design. At any rate, I am satisfied with the upgrade, and would do it again, assuming the price was the same.
post #7977 of 13986
So am I correct after scanning through over 7K posts that ARC is hit or miss? I have the VT60 and the YSP-5100 and cannot get it to work. The YSP has the current FW so it is now ARC capable. I have the YSP HDMI out connected to the HDMI 2 ARC port on the VT60. When I go watch any online smart tv options within the VT60 is just kicks the sound out over the built in speaker. I have turned HDMI control to "ON" on the YSP and on the VT60 I have the HDMI set to PCM per the manual. Am I correct in that if it works it should automatically cause the YSP to switch to ARC and output the sound?
post #7978 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Yeah, it really just depends on preferences at the end of the day. I have tended to upgrade my displays more often than anything in my audio. However, there is always good audio stuff to choose from - nothing going away. Plasma has rapidly improved the last few years and is now essentially going away and you're going to be stuck with very expensive curved OLEDs or mediocre LED. At this point, I believe the 2013 Panasonic plasmas will be the last best plasmas available, so there could be a market void for some.

Exactly! This was my point as well.
post #7979 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post

a TV is a one-time investment

Damn, I wish someone would have told me that a year ago! Hehe biggrin.gif
post #7980 of 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150zx View Post

Damn, I wish someone would have told me that a year ago! Hehe biggrin.gif

No kidding! I've had a VT25, VT30, VT50 and now a VT60!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]