or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 317

post #9481 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbreese View Post

Well I got turned down from the significant other to run slides for FIVE days straight...which I kind of figured, especially since we have already been without a TV for a week as it is (other one got blinking light of death). So it looks like I am just going to do a general break-in and maybe a pro-cal down the road. Is it ok to just keep it on THX Cinema and vary programming and watch blu-rays for a general break-in? Any other settings I should change??

I have found running Spears and Muncil to be helpful as the set breaks in to things set right. I am waiting for approval from the SO to get the set calibrated.

post #9482 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convo View Post

So I'm curious.. Have any of you guys just run the color slides then use cnets calibration? If so.. how was it and/or did you eventually find a better setting? 
Actually CNETs settings turned out brighter and better looking for me than DNices settings. Others might have different experiences, but CNETs worked for me.
post #9483 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman00 View Post

Actually CNETs settings turned out brighter and better looking for me than DNices settings. Others might have different experiences, but CNETs worked for me.

Thx for the info. Did you run the slides?
post #9484 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convo View Post

Thx for the info. Did you run the slides?
Yes, I ran the slides for about 110 hours. My intention was to run DNicw settings because they've worked in the past with my VT25s. However, his slides produced a very dim picture on my TV to the point where I was considering sending the TV back. CNETs settings brought the VT60 to life. The great thing is you can enter Dnice settings on Prof 1 & 2 and Cnet settings on Cinema and compare each of them.
post #9485 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donat76 View Post

I guess I'm not seeing what he is. The movie production lights pictured on the screen are casting lights and I see some line bleed but that's it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

If you have the option to exchange your set do it as soon as possible. If you don't have that option, contact Panasonic as soon as possible.
here is another pict with all of the back ground lights off. image.jpg 779k .jpg file if you look to the right of the settings icon you can see the darker area on the screen. Is that normal. ?
post #9486 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoger View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donat76 View Post

I guess I'm not seeing what he is. The movie production lights pictured on the screen are casting lights and I see some line bleed but that's it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

If you have the option to exchange your set do it as soon as possible. If you don't have that option, contact Panasonic as soon as possible.
here is another pict with all of the back ground lights off. image.jpg 779k .jpg file if you look to the right of the settings icon you can see the darker area on the screen. Is that normal. ?

It's a picture with shading and fake lights casting light and shadows. Are serious about this????

Take a picture of an all white screen or 50% grey and post it if you truly think there is an issue.
post #9487 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBR11 View Post

Watching fast motion (like a football pass play, or cops chasing bad guys, or a fast camera pan), I see what I call "motion iteration", which also looks like a strobe effect. The moving item is one position and then a bit of a second later it moves to another position, then in a bit of second later it moves, rinse/repeat. (Maybe you call this something else.) I don't remember seeing this on any of my other plasmas. And I have all settings OFF, except for Motion Smoothing which I have set at Weak. The look of this motion iteration really bothers me.

Is my tv broken (and I should call BB or Panasonic and ask them to fix it)?

If it is not broken, is there something I can do to 'fix' this?

Thank you.
Have you tried turning the motion smoothing off?
post #9488 of 13990
The whole topic of break-in slides or content has been interesting to follow. My take (And yes, I ran the slides for nearly 100 hours) is that the set is a complex piece of electronics and there is a well-known infant mortality curve in electronics reliability that generally drops off after the first 100 hours or so. Running the slides is a way to find any incipient failures quickly and have them dealt with well within any warranty periods. Running any content with varying scenes would work as well, but the slides assure that all the pixels are run at various levels. The OCD might want to use an elevated temperature burn-in that is usually done for 244 hours on most hardware intended for space to make sure that early failures are found and resolved before launch. I did not run an elevated temperature burn-in, just room temperature, nor did I launch mine, although its picture is out-of-this-world. (Anybody else remember DeKoven who played baroque music and described them as OTW and super-OTW?)
post #9489 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPowers View Post

Actually, they do:

"As part of our normal plasma TV test procedure, we loop an industry-standard DVD to simulate normal viewing conditions for 100 hours or more before we calibrate."

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57449881-221/samsung-plasma-wins-cnets-accidental-burn-in-test/

According to the link you posted they "simulate normal viewing conditions" for those first 100 hours?

...So that's, like, to simulate "normal" viewing for those first 100 hours? So if I would want to do that I could just, you know, watch the tv? Normally?

The link also illustrates the danger of leaving a set on an endless loop unattended.

God I love being right. wink.gif
Edited by sage11x - 1/1/14 at 8:53am
post #9490 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

According to the link you posted they "simulate normal viewing conditions" for those first 100 hours?

...So that's, like, to simulate "normal" viewing for those first 100 hours? So if I would want to do that I could just, you know, watch the tv? Normally?

The link also illustrates the danger of leaving a set on an endless loop unattended.

God I love being right. wink.gif
Running slides and running the TV are exactly the same. There is no difference in which you do. If you run slides for 100 hours or run a blu ray for 100 hours, you are breaking in the TV. There is absolutely no difference.

To say that CNET does not break-in there TV is dead wrong. They run it for 100 hours before calibrating it.

Now if you are not going to calibrate the TV we can argue the point of running slides for 100 hours. The point is, there is no point to a degree and this has been proven over and over again. People get IR with thousands of hours put on there panel. So I do agree with you on that. I do like to put some hours on the TV for the first few days though so the colors and black levels gets more settled in or any early defects in the beginning life of the panel will show it's face.

I will hit 50 hours on my panel today. I ran slides when I wasn't watching the TV and watched the TV when I normally would watch it. I watched shows with logo's and all. It is not a problem. I make sure to let the commercials run and not watch the same channel all day. After today I will most likely shut my TV off at the end of the day and just enjoy the TV.
post #9491 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donat76 View Post

It's a picture with shading and fake lights casting light and shadows. Are serious about this????

Take a picture of an all white screen or 50% grey and post it if you truly think there is an issue.
ya I'm serious about this! Why do you think I posted to ask about it ? Obviously I'm not as plasma savy as you. .I've never owned a plasma before and my window for returning it to BestBuy is counting down. Is there a way to get a plain white screen?
post #9492 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoger View Post

ya I'm serious about this! Why do you think I posted to ask about it ? Obviously I'm not as plasma savy as you. .I've never owned a plasma before and my window for returning it to BestBuy is counting down. Is there a way to get a plain white screen?
i also think its just the screen ur useing not a defect.. load d-nice slides on thumbdrive or somethin and you can see on white slide or other colors imo..Gl
post #9493 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBR11 View Post

Watching fast motion (like a football pass play, or cops chasing bad guys, or a fast camera pan), I see what I call "motion iteration", which also looks like a strobe effect. The moving item is one position and then a bit of a second later it moves to another position, then in a bit of second later it moves, rinse/repeat. (Maybe you call this something else.) I don't remember seeing this on any of my other plasmas. And I have all settings OFF, except for Motion Smoothing which I have set at Weak. The look of this motion iteration really bothers me.

Is my tv broken (and I should call BB or Panasonic and ask them to fix it)?

If it is not broken, is there something I can do to 'fix' this?

Thank you.

I don't think your tv is defective, and I don't think it has anything to do with motion handling or motion smoother settings. Google "plasma rainbow effect" and read some of the results. I think this is what you are seeing.
post #9494 of 13990
I just purchased the 65VT60 and it is amazing. I have it in the living room which is a bright room, but I don't mind since my viewing is only usually after I get home from work. I just hope retention and burning is not an issue. I am coming from a 46" Samsung 630 series lcd from 2005 or so and needed the upgrade. Now i just got to get this sucker on the wall. I just hate how the inputs are on the opposite site from the sammy.
post #9495 of 13990
I ran slides on my original KURO...but didn't do it with the VT60. I run full screen blu rays (not the same ones) as well as any type of full screen content without logos as much as possible. I prefer running 1:78:1 or 1:85:1 ratio blu rays not only because they are full screen and no letterbox but because blu ray gives the best picture and color. For my OCD self I feel the richness of the blu ray helps the pixels and phosphors age nicely and with the deep colors and blacks the TV can produce. Regular DVDs are a little soft on this TV so I don't like running them because they are full and I feel (prolly just a opinionated thing) running a DVD will make the picture worse because the DVDs are not as rich as the blu rays. I have no scientific link or research if that's true, which I'm sure running full screen blu ray or full screen DVD wouldn't matter for break in since both get the pixels moving.

Personally I just hate watching 5 different colors on a TV for 100+ hours. I much rather watch the TV with full screen content, no logos , no letterbox (2:35:1/2:40:1) movies. TV seems to be aging nicely and I can tell each day it gets a little better PQ wise.

Slides vs full screen content=no difference (at least nothing scientific can back up a difference it causes in PQ if there is one) it's all personal preference. IR varies from set to set...break in only helps it's prevalence of IR in the first couple 100 hours BUT people have reported IR after 1000s of hours so it is just the nature of the tech. Even KUROs yes even KUROs could exhibit IR at any time it's inherent to the tech, though it was rare on the KURO, it still happened. IR is no where near what is was in the past, and some years were better than others for IR on plasma. I enjoy this TV more and more each day. Stop looking for IR and you won't find it. If you want to run grey slides to drive yourself nuts about it be my guest. But my advice as someone who's nuts himself with TVs and perfection is to let this go or you will never find a great TV like this again. I will take IR over anything else any other plasma (besides ZT60) or LED can offer.
post #9496 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniswrly View Post

i also think its just the screen ur useing not a defect.. load d-nice slides on thumbdrive or somethin and you can see on white slide or other colors imo..Gl
Thx I'll give that a try.
post #9497 of 13990
Hello All
So My 60VT60 is running through a Denon receiver through HDMI no problem. When I use an app though the sound only comes from the TV and not the receiver. Anyone have a solution I should try

cheers,
Gregg
post #9498 of 13990
are you using the HDMI ARC? or the regular HDMI with optical? you will need one of the two to in order to hear TV sound from your AVR.
Bruce
post #9499 of 13990
i believe it is regular HDMI,its hooked up to HDMI 1 and it does not say ARC. Should I hook it up through HDMI 2 which does say ARC..TV cable box works trough reciever just not the smarttv apps

thanks for the quickness
post #9500 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedstuff View Post

i believe it is regular HDMI,its hooked up to HDMI 1 and it does not say ARC. Should I hook it up through HDMI 2 which does say ARC..TV cable box works trough reciever just not the smarttv apps

thanks for the quickness
My only knowledge is that in order to hear sound from the TV you need to use HDMI ARC from both the TV and the receiver. or use an optical cable from the TV to your receiver. I cant answer any questions when it comes to a cable box. sorry.
post #9501 of 13990
Hey guys.. I own a brand new 60VT60, and want to run the D-Nice 100 hour slide show.

Small problem.. I'm not sure if it's because I use a Mac. I formatted an SD card and a USB Stick.. Both clean and no images. Everytime I move the folder over the images transfrer just fine.and ONLY those images (12) show. But when I eject and put the card or USB in the back of the VT, I get 24 images, and 12 of them are "Unreadable Images", and the other 12 are the correct colored slides.. I can't seem to figure out how to select JUST those files for the slide show OR delete these unreadable files.. like I said, they're not there when plugged into my Mac... but they mysteriously appear when using the photo slideshow on my 60VT60.

CAN ANYONE HELP?!?!? I really want to ge the ball rolling on the 100 slideshow!!!!
post #9502 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs71 View Post

Hey guys.. I own a brand new 60VT60, and want to run the D-Nice 100 hour slide show.

Small problem.. I'm not sure if it's because I use a Mac. I formatted an SD card and a USB Stick.. Both clean and no images. Everytime I move the folder over the images transfrer just fine.and ONLY those images (12) show. But when I eject and put the card or USB in the back of the VT, I get 24 images, and 12 of them are "Unreadable Images", and the other 12 are the correct colored slides.. I can't seem to figure out how to select JUST those files for the slide show OR delete these unreadable files.. like I said, they're not there when plugged into my Mac... but they mysteriously appear when using the photo slideshow on my 60VT60.

CAN ANYONE HELP?!?!? I really want to ge the ball rolling on the 100 slideshow!!!!

Search the thread. There are instructions on how to do it I believe.
post #9503 of 13990
Super Excited! Bought the Panasonic 60VT60 from Amazon on Dec 24 had a price adjustment this week. CEVA delivered my TV yesterday, wish they were more helpful. Small damage on the outside/rear box. No assist in unboxing for damage check and wanted to leave asap. No physical or visual damage to the TV currently sitting on the floor. Current TV center was for 46" Samsung LED 6400 that lasted a 1year 6 months to the day that was August. The top shelf of the TV center is rated for 135lb but the TV would stick about 6" each side so not sure. D-nice slides have been running since last night, Oct build. I'm excited and want to watch a movie in the living room in something bigger than 24". I was in no rush for a TV since I travel 2 out of those 4 months, had to study and looking into being a homeowner. I will be purchasing extended warranty due to my previous experience is Square trade the best option?, looking to buy Friday.
post #9504 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedstuff View Post

i believe it is regular HDMI,its hooked up to HDMI 1 and it does not say ARC. Should I hook it up through HDMI 2 which does say ARC..TV cable box works trough reciever just not the smarttv apps

thanks for the quickness

Yes...my Denon, 4308 ci is 1.3 HDMI so it does not have ARC...so when I want to watch a 3D blu ray or apps on the tv I have to use tv sound. I cannot return channel the sound and I have to connect PS3 directly to tv to get 3D to work, then I lose receiver sound
post #9505 of 13990
I have the Panasonic TC-P65 S2 from 2010 its working great but with Plasmas seeming to be going by the way of tube TV will I see a big difference in picture quality going with the VT65. I would think it would be a pretty good upgrade from the low end I have now plus it has some new features. I would probably put the ST-P65 S2 upstairs and use the VT65 downstairs for daily viewing so I guess the ST-P65 S2 would become a back up since now being a double amputee don't get up there much.
Thanks
post #9506 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoger View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniswrly View Post

i also think its just the screen ur useing not a defect.. load d-nice slides on thumbdrive or somethin and you can see on white slide or other colors imo..Gl
Thx I'll give that a try.


The slides are on the first post. You have to register to download them. Just follow the directions for copying them to a USB drive or SD card.
http://www.controlcal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=939

You may also want to Google "plasma line bleed" in case you see that during normal content It can be minimized with some setting tweaks but it usually doesn't show up except in some rare circumstances.

https://www.google.com/search?q=plasma+line+bleed

This is an EXTREME example. Never mind the 3D logo IR. Just the lines that bleed to the side of the image.
post #9507 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs71 View Post

Hey guys.. I own a brand new 60VT60, and want to run the D-Nice 100 hour slide show.

Small problem.. I'm not sure if it's because I use a Mac. I formatted an SD card and a USB Stick.. Both clean and no images. Everytime I move the folder over the images transfrer just fine.and ONLY those images (12) show. But when I eject and put the card or USB in the back of the VT, I get 24 images, and 12 of them are "Unreadable Images", and the other 12 are the correct colored slides.. I can't seem to figure out how to select JUST those files for the slide show OR delete these unreadable files.. like I said, they're not there when plugged into my Mac... but they mysteriously appear when using the photo slideshow on my 60VT60.

CAN ANYONE HELP?!?!? I really want to ge the ball rolling on the 100 slideshow!!!!

You heard you can import them, without saving, into Aperture then export to the thumbdrive.
post #9508 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donat76 View Post

The slides are on the first post. You have to register to download them. Just follow the directions for copying them to a USB drive or SD card.
http://www.controlcal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=939

You may also want to Google "plasma line bleed" in case you see that during normal content It can be minimized with some setting tweaks but it usually doesn't show up except in some rare circumstances.

https://www.google.com/search?q=plasma+line+bleed

This is an EXTREME example. Never mind the 3D logo IR. Just the lines that bleed to the side of the image.

He can also get the slides on AVS.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466472/2013-panasonic-settings-issues-thread/0_100
post #9509 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agueybana_II View Post

I will be purchasing extended warranty due to my previous experience is Square trade the best option?, looking to buy Friday.
Not necessarily...Mack has generally better conditions and policies (when it comes to multiple repairs and assumed liabilities), but you must ensure you have a service center within 25 miles of your address.
Edited by vinnie97 - 1/1/14 at 2:18pm
post #9510 of 13990
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

...Understand that calibration is small gains-- it's those last few inches. Many viewers might not even notice the difference...

If I did get my 65VT60 calibrated, then I hope that I would REALLY notice and appreciate the difference between the calibrated settings and the THX Cinema (or Cinema or Custom or CNET's or DNice's or other settings). To not be able to notice the difference when I just had just spent some $400 bucks, then I would be upset/disappointed. And I would never ever hear the end of it from my wife.

Did any of you get your TVs calibrated and NOT notice the difference? Or thought the calibrated PQ was worse than before?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]