or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official Mitsubishi HC5 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Mitsubishi HC5 Owners Thread - Page 16

post #451 of 628
Thread Starter 
Count me in.
post #452 of 628
Which reseller?
post #453 of 628
Whelp. Looks like my HC5 with under 400 hours is going in for service. She keeps throwing an error code. Checked the filter and I have never touched the lamp and its not like I keep her anywhere hot.
post #454 of 628
Which error code?
Keep us posted on how Mitsubishi handles this.

When I had to send mine in, it cost me almost $75 in shipping with insurance. Mitsubishi only pays for the return shipping.

Sad thing was that mine was brand new, less than 100hrs, so I was out that $75 right away. In the end I got a brand new replacement, which BTW was the last new projector they had in stock. At first they wanted to send me a refurb or my other option was to wait at least 4 months (although they told me they really did not have an ETA and it could end up being longer) for the part needed to repair mine, but I objected and they found me a brand new one.

Also, in case anyone is wondering what was wrong with mine was: the LCD/SXRD block assembly and the lamp. I had spots and shading and also a very dim picture. The new one they sent me as a replacement is working perfectly so far and has none of the issues my original had.
post #455 of 628
2 concerning posts for sure! I have had an error code as well (indicator lights flashing all sorts of colors) - seems to happen when there is an hdmi handshaking issue or when you change the setting of the variable iris. Each time this happened though (not often), I was able to power off, wait for a while, fire it back up and everything was good.

Definitely not good news. Hope everything works out Neonsky and glad everything worked out for you Speedplay.
post #456 of 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrr View Post

they go for about $325 for an original lamp in housing....anyone interested in a group buy? I live close to one of the largest original bulb resellers.

I'd be interested.
post #457 of 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrr View Post

they go for about $325 for an original lamp in housing....anyone interested in a group buy? I live close to one of the largest original bulb resellers.

As long as it is not Projector Lamp Source.........http://www.avsforum.com/t/1472311/projector-lamp-source-claims-original-bulbs-ships-generic-bulbs

According to these posts it's better to avoid them if you want to receive an actual OEM lamp
post #458 of 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12 View Post

2 concerning posts for sure! I have had an error code as well (indicator lights flashing all sorts of colors) - seems to happen when there is an hdmi handshaking issue or when you change the setting of the variable iris. Each time this happened though (not often), I was able to power off, wait for a while, fire it back up and everything was good.

Definitely not good news. Hope everything works out Neonsky and glad everything worked out for you Speedplay

 

the variable iris thing is a known gripe. do a search on it on the forum and you'll find it. heck it might be in one of the posts in this thread.

post #459 of 628
I just joined the HC5 club. On the way from ScottyB!biggrin.gif
post #460 of 628
Hmm... I sent him several emails, but no response. There are deals on Ebay though...
post #461 of 628
How big a picture/screen can you comfortably use with the HC5?
post #462 of 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTCrazy View Post

How big a picture/screen can you comfortably use with the HC5?

How big of a screen do you want?

I used coderguys calc to figure out my rough lumens prior to buying the PJ.
www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com
Edited by neonsky - 11/24/13 at 11:20pm
post #463 of 628
Can anyone recommend hardware (colorimeter/spectrometer) and software for calibrating this projector? Or is it not necessary? It seems quite good out of the box.
The budget is up to USD500, id be happy if it could be less.
post #464 of 628
Thread Starter 
i1 Display Pro 3 is pretty much the consumer standard. You could get i1 Pro 2 spectrophotometer for 1 kilobuck as it will get you more consistent results to-the-standard for a longer period of time. But i1 Display 3 is a good colorimeter to start with.
I suggest you do manual calibration at least several times to get a good grasp of what is what. Here's a great guide: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457
Later you can do automatic calibration of grayscale and make Video Look-Up Tables (VideoLUT) for color correction in videos using this guide: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1471169/madvr-argyllcms
You can do this first, of course, but then you won't understand what you're doing.

Now, this is assuming you use HTPC as a video source. If you're using hardware players then it's going to cost you more. You'll have to get a dedicated color processor in addition to the color meter, and a software like Spectracal or ChromaPure with autocal option for that processor.
post #465 of 628
Thanks for the detailed response.
Im usually playing contents from my laptop. But I assumed I would have to make changed to the projector calibration parameters and not to the laptop graphics card?
post #466 of 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis_002 View Post

Can anyone recommend hardware (colorimeter/spectrometer) and software for calibrating this projector? Or is it not necessary? It seems quite good out of the box.
The budget is up to USD500, id be happy if it could be less.

Im using I1 display pro + hcfr software with very good results, i was able to get delta E below 3
post #467 of 628
If you'd like I can post some before and after calibration reports to show OTB vs calibrated results. Personally I think VPs are wastes of money these days.
Edited by neonsky - 11/25/13 at 3:15pm
post #468 of 628
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis_002 View Post

But I assumed I would have to make changed to the projector calibration parameters and not to the laptop graphics card?
Depending on a projector you use, you may attain good/great result using strictly on-board controls. However, not all projectors have great color controls (CMS/Color Management System) and let you only correct grayscale (color temperature and gamma). But even those projectors that have very sophisticated controls sometimes have color/gamma limitations and non-linearities which can only be corrected via video card's LUT and software LUT in madVR (it's a video renderer). For that, read the 2nd link I posted.

I agree with neonsky, VPs are only justified when you have loads of money and you don't want to concern yourself with learning stuff.
post #469 of 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post

Depending on a projector you use, you may attain good/great result using strictly on-board controls. However, not all projectors have great color controls (CMS/Color Management System) and let you only correct grayscale (color temperature and gamma). But even those projectors that have very sophisticated controls sometimes have color/gamma limitations and non-linearities which can only be corrected via video card's LUT and software LUT in madVR (it's a video renderer). For that, read the 2nd link I posted.

I agree with neonsky, VPs are only justified when you have loads of money and you don't want to concern yourself with learning stuff.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Looking to purchase the colorimeter, I noticed it being sold by the same seller at different prices. I would just like to double check with you there are no "versions" of the product, and I can just buy the cheapest one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Rite-i1-Display-Pro-Professional-Monitor-Calibrator-Easy-Accurate-NEW-/251298625639?pt=US_Image_Video_Audio_Software&hash=item3a8290b867
http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Rite-i1-Display-Pro-Monitor-Calibrator-New-Unused-Boxed-/330859625822?pt=AU_software&hash=item4d08c53d5e
http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Rite-i1-Display-Pro-Professional-Monitor-Calibrator-NEW-Easy-Accurate-/330859621892?pt=US_Image_Video_Audio_Software&hash=item4d08c52e04

Thanks alot smile.gif
post #470 of 628
^ What software are you going to be using, and why not just buy directly from the company at those prices?
post #471 of 628
Thread Starter 
There are indeed several "versions" of i1 Display 3. Everything you've listed is an OEM version, free to work with any software. There are two competing companies which have their own versions of this device and they're made to work best with their proprietary software. By "work best" I mean they have internal correction tables for different display devices (CRT, CCFL LCD, LED LCD, Plasma, DLP Projectors, LED LCD Projectors etc.). And yes, colorimeters will show different readings on different devices, I'm not sure exactly why. Only class of device that will provide constant readings are spectroradiometers (like i1 Pro 2). But colorimeters take dark readings better and work faster. That's why many people use the bunch of two (they profile colorimeter against spectroradiometer and use it to calibrate faster).

http://store.spectracal.com/consumer/i1-display-pro-w-tutorial.html
http://store.spectracal.com/spectracal-c6.html
http://www.curtpalme.com/ChromaPure_EyeOneDisplay3.shtm

From my experience (I purchased i1 Display 3 OEM from a local store) the accuracy of an OEM colorimeter has got a lot to be desired... The readings are consistent, just far from accurate in absolute terms (in relevance to the standard). But it's not like I'm running a video production studio, so. The difference between calibrated display (even with inaccurate colorimeter) vs. non-calibrated is substantial.
post #472 of 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post

There are indeed several "versions" of i1 Display 3. Everything you've listed is an OEM version, free to work with any software. There are two competing companies which have their own versions of this device and they're made to work best with their proprietary software. By "work best" I mean they have internal correction tables for different display devices (CRT, CCFL LCD, LED LCD, Plasma, DLP Projectors, LED LCD Projectors etc.). And yes, colorimeters will show different readings on different devices, I'm not sure exactly why. Only class of device that will provide constant readings are spectroradiometers (like i1 Pro 2). But colorimeters take dark readings better and work faster. That's why many people use the bunch of two (they profile colorimeter against spectroradiometer and use it to calibrate faster).

http://store.spectracal.com/consumer/i1-display-pro-w-tutorial.html
http://store.spectracal.com/spectracal-c6.html
http://www.curtpalme.com/ChromaPure_EyeOneDisplay3.shtm

From my experience (I purchased i1 Display 3 OEM from a local store) the accuracy of an OEM colorimeter has got a lot to be desired... The readings are consistent, just far from accurate in absolute terms (in relevance to the standard). But it's not like I'm running a video production studio, so. The difference between calibrated display (even with inaccurate colorimeter) vs. non-calibrated is substantial.

Got it, thanks. So basically I'm better off buying it from the software vendor (spectracal/curtpalme).
The basic software seems to go at about the same price for both of them.
Any preference as to which software/hardware i1 display pro should I pick?

The end result is the same ~400$. Or do I need one of the more expensive versions?

Thanks again for your time and detailed answers.
post #473 of 628
Thread Starter 
Sorry, I can't help you here. Full version of CalMAN might be more feature-rich but it might not be the case with Basic version. Just try searching CalMAN vs. ChromaPure.
post #474 of 628
Thanks.
Let's see what we can get on Black Friday.
post #475 of 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis_002 View Post

Got it, thanks. So basically I'm better off buying it from the software vendor (spectracal/curtpalme).
The basic software seems to go at about the same price for both of them.
Any preference as to which software/hardware i1 display pro should I pick?

The end result is the same ~400$. Or do I need one of the more expensive versions?

Thanks again for your time and detailed answers.

I've been using Spectracal for quite a while now. It works well when you get used to it, and they have made their home user pricing much better over the years. I can't really say it is any better than Chromapure--either package should work well.
post #476 of 628
As for your second question. The only other thing you might want in addition to the standard calibration package is the autocal add-on if you have a supported video processor (like the Lumagen). The Mits HC-5 does not itself support autocal (the JVC line does). You also might want the spectrometer add-on if you have a spectrometer you can use to calibrate the colorimeter (i.e., the i1 display 3).
post #477 of 628
Could always buy an i1 display pro and then go grab HCFR for free. This would save you some money in the end.
post #478 of 628

I have been slowly reading through this thread for the past couple of weeks, before deciding to upgrade from Epson 8700UB.

 

What is the official mounting plate model no. or part no.?  Is it the same as the Mits 9000 mounting plate?  I did search/read throughly before posting.

 

I called the Mits CS and they said they would do some research and call me back, which obviously has not happened.  


Edited by marc1006 - 11/26/13 at 2:24pm
post #479 of 628
Does the vertical position adjustment on the HC5 move the picture digitally? I use this adjustment on my HC4000 with a scope screen and it effectively moves the lower letterbox bar on top of the picture information and adds it to the upper letterbox bar. (So that both letterbox bars are together on top of the picture information)
post #480 of 628
Can anybody with a 16:9 screen watching a scope movie with their HC5 try this adjustment and report back as to if the picture moves up or down while adding to the letterbox bar height opposite the up or down movement of the picture? Or maybe this adjustment is for something completely different. eek.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official Mitsubishi HC5 Owners Thread