or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › F8500 Recommended Settings Thread.....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

F8500 Recommended Settings Thread..... - Page 41

post #1201 of 2089
Years ago I went into the sevice menu of a Sony Rear Projection to set convergence. I was scared to death, and after all the work, and I do mean Hours and Days. It wasn't really any better than when I went in there. It was with that TV I decided to never go into a service menu again. Everything you need is in the Regular menu's Now Day's.
So you would have a couple more picture settings to choose from. Is it really worth the risk ?
Most of the modes ( Movie, Standard, Relax, and so on)you refer to are just names and can be adjusted to your liking. I am actually currently working with Relax and kind of like the results for Day to Day viewing and I didn't change much at all.
IMHO
post #1202 of 2089
Quote:
Originally Posted by race3 View Post

To any experts out there...

I had my Samsung plasma 8500 calibrated today by a certified ISF professional (he seems to have a very reputable background and was quite knowledgable and kind).

thoughts?

.

He didn't calibrate 10 point grayscale or the Custom CMS. Was he a Geek Squader?????? How long did it take?

Edit: Did you get a report?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohajat112 View Post


can you tell me how to unlock cal day and cal night? thanks

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/180#post_23142413
Edited by buzzard767 - 8/23/13 at 2:24pm
post #1203 of 2089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post

Years ago I went into the sevice menu of a Sony Rear Projection to set convergence. I was scared to death, and after all the work, and I do mean Hours and Days. It wasn't really any better than when I went in there. It was with that TV I decided to never go into a service menu again. Everything you need is in the Regular menu's Now Day's.
So you would have a couple more picture settings to choose from. Is it really worth the risk ?
Most of the modes ( Movie, Standard, Relax, and so on)you refer to are just names and can be adjusted to your liking. I am actually currently working with Relax and kind of like the results for Day to Day viewing and I didn't change much at all.
IMHO

the only problem is with relax, dynamic, you cant change all the settings, like on one of them advanced settings is blurred and you cant change it. is there a way around this?
post #1204 of 2089
Quote:
Originally Posted by lohajat112 View Post

the only problem is with relax, dynamic, you cant change all the settings, like on one of them advanced settings is blurred and you cant change it. is there a way around this?

There are two, actually.

1) CAL-DAY

2) I bet you know where I'm going with this. wink.gif
post #1205 of 2089
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

There are two, actually.

1) CAL-DAY

2) I bet you know where I'm going with this. wink.gif

haha, thanks muffin =). well i will have to wait for the old school samsung remote in the mail.
post #1206 of 2089
Chad will be here tomorrow to calibrate my F8500, can't wait! I'll post the calibrated settings if you guys are interested.
post #1207 of 2089
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

He didn't calibrate 10 point grayscale or the Custom CMS. Was he a Geek Squader?????? How long did it take?

Edit: Did you get a report?
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/180#post_23142413

No I didn't get a report. No he didn't go into the system menu and i'm not sure about 10 point (i don't think so). But he is a professional, and used to teach ISF calibration courses and has a very strong reputation. He really seems to know what he's talking about... but I'm not really one to judge since I'm new with this.
post #1208 of 2089
Reputation where? He could have taught ISF classed for the Geek Squad (low blow sorry). No calibration report either before or after? How can you verify he improved the picture and set things where they belong. Did he tell you the light output he set for day and night modes? Never heard of a reputable calibrator on any AV thread who didn't provide reports. Hope you got it for free.
post #1209 of 2089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post

Years ago I went into the sevice menu of a Sony Rear Projection to set convergence. I was scared to death, and after all the work, and I do mean Hours and Days. It wasn't really any better than when I went in there. It was with that TV I decided to never go into a service menu again. Everything you need is in the Regular menu's Now Day's.
So you would have a couple more picture settings to choose from. Is it really worth the risk ?
Most of the modes ( Movie, Standard, Relax, and so on)you refer to are just names and can be adjusted to your liking. I am actually currently working with Relax and kind of like the results for Day to Day viewing and I didn't change much at all.
IMHO

Relax is a great setting out of the box but with some tweaks its even better. I find I use it the most during long bouts of night time viewing. I honestly can't figure out what Relax settings that have been greyed and set to a non changeable status are.

Also, I wouldn't be afraid to unlock Cal-Day and Cal-Night in the service menu, it was quick and painless. You just need an old samsung remote.
post #1210 of 2089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post

Chad will be here tomorrow to calibrate my F8500, can't wait! I'll post the calibrated settings if you guys are interested.
What would ever make you think that we wouldn't be interested ? Be sure to tell us what size panel you have when listing.
post #1211 of 2089
I'm going to see if he can do my game mode and 3D mode as well, and will also post those.
post #1212 of 2089
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

Reputation where? He could have taught ISF classed for the Geek Squad (low blow sorry). No calibration report either before or after? How can you verify he improved the picture and set things where they belong. Did he tell you the light output he set for day and night modes? Never heard of a reputable calibrator on any AV thread who didn't provide reports. Hope you got it for free.

Not all calibrator's provide reports... the report doesn't do anything to the picture. smile.gif and trust me, he's reputable, he is very involved with the ISF foundation and teaches some of their main courses.

He didn't do day and night modes... instead he calibrated the movie settings... which is an advantage because then i can adjust the cell light as needed myself depending on the time of day. of course, i'll probably just leave it at something i find appropriate.
post #1213 of 2089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Rothman View Post

Entered these settings on my 51" biggrin.gif . They look great. Does anyone know if its ok to use the settings of a 64" on a 51"? BTW did u get the report yet ola67 ?
No, for some reason Value Electronic seem to have a really hard time to send it to me. Have called them many times about it and always get the response they will send it right away. I do not know what to think about it anymore, really disappointing.....
Im glad the settings worked for you too. My set looks awesome too.
post #1214 of 2089
Chad told me he would rather I not post my settings and for very good reasons, but ultimately said they're my numbers and I can do what I want with them. With that said I have much respect for Chad so I will not be posting the settings that he created, I will post the report but not the settings, sorry.
post #1215 of 2089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post

Chad told me he would rather I not post my settings and for very good reasons, but ultimately said they're my numbers and I can do what I want with them. With that said I have much respect for Chad so I will not be posting the settings that he created, I will post the report but not the settings, sorry.

Would love to see your cal report smile.gif
post #1216 of 2089
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Would love to see your cal report smile.gif
What can we learn from the report without the actual settings ?
Tell me so I can look forward to the report.
post #1217 of 2089
I've got a 64F8500 yesterday... Could anybody tell me how to get to the Cal-day - Cal-night settings?...
post #1218 of 2089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozen View Post

I've got a 64F8500 yesterday... Could anybody tell me how to get to the Cal-day - Cal-night settings?...

Look at post #1202 on the top of this page. Or try using the search function.rolleyes.gif
post #1219 of 2089
Thank you RodK !
post #1220 of 2089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post

What can we learn from the report without the actual settings ?
Tell me so I can look forward to the report.

Your display will not respond the same way to the settings as his did so the settings are of no use to you. The calibration report will show you what is possible with a calibration but for your display to match the same level it must be individually calibrated.
post #1221 of 2089
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Your display will not respond the same way to the settings as his did so the settings are of no use to you. The calibration report will show you what is possible with a calibration but for your display to match the same level it must be individually calibrated.
Ok. I got it. It's just to show what is possible. When I look at a calibration report most of it I don't understand anyway.
Thank's Buzz
post #1222 of 2089
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post

What can we learn from the report without the actual settings ?
Tell me so I can look forward to the report.
I Iike to see chads work he is a master smile.gif as Buzz says it is an indication of how well the set can be dialed in I wouldn't expect someone else's settings to be included
post #1223 of 2089
^ for those with meters it is valuable info as to which direction to go in when performing their own cal. It's interesting to see different Approaches.


Sent using Crapalot 2
post #1224 of 2089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post

Chad will be here tomorrow to calibrate my F8500, can't wait! I'll post the calibrated settings if you guys are interested.
What I want you to post is how you've reacted to the results of your calibration and working with Chad B. biggrin.gif
post #1225 of 2089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Your display will not respond the same way to the settings as his did so the settings are of no use to you. The calibration report will show you what is possible with a calibration but for your display to match the same level it must be individually calibrated.
Ok. I got it. It's just to show what is possible. When I look at a calibration report most of it I don't understand anyway.
Thank's Buzz
Think of it this way. If Chad B or another qualified professional calibrator did a series of sets that were the same model and size, there would be different settings for each set, but the charts could be almost identical. Each set requires it's own settings to get the most out of it.
post #1226 of 2089
So how do you like the calibration? I thought Chad B is in Ohio.
post #1227 of 2089
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC7727 View Post

So how do you like the calibration? I thought Chad B is in Ohio.
Most of the best professional calibrators do tours. It takes more than a village to support a top professional. biggrin.gif
post #1228 of 2089
Samsung 60F8500 Cal night.pdf 634k .pdf file

So here's the report from my tv, the before results are my own eyeballed settings without any type of meter.
post #1229 of 2089
My tv only put out about 45 ftl max on Movie, Night, and Day modes. It put out about 66 ftl max on standard and an eye scorching 89 ftl on dynamic mode.
post #1230 of 2089
Well I have decided to get myself a meter and learn a little more about calibration. I have always thought the best way to learn something well is to get in there and do it. I think I will purchase a X-Rite i1 Display Pro meter. Does anyone have any suggestions for software that Is Mac OS compatiable ? I think the Calman is windows base only.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › F8500 Recommended Settings Thread.....