I think this is just what they've been instructed to tell you about BF. Think about it, if they really want to play hardball and you're still within the return window then you tell them to come pickup their set and you'll buy it from the store you're trying to price match or sign in with a different Amazon account and buy a new one with the PM. The return cost alone would justify them "negotiating" a PM with you (at the very least).
You must like playing chicken. I've spoken to a few Amazon CSR's over the past two days and read stuff posted here and get conflicting info. If push came to shove I would hope that Amazon would like to keep someones business.
As far as the Fry's deal, I tried so hard, contacting them on multiple occasions (online via chat and email) and I couldn't get the $997 deal after the fact. I knew it would be a shot in the dark, but I had to try. So upset I missed out. I've been largely AWOL on the Panasonic forums because I wasn't sure if I was going to buy. As a gamer the input lag and IR was somewhat of a concern. I check in a few days ago and not only find out that Panasonic pulled the plug on plasmas, but also I missed the Fry's deal by a little over a week.
I think I'm going to wait to see what, if any, deals transpire during Black Friday/Cyber Monday. When I was in chat with Amazon asking about price matching today the CSR stated that I'd be surprised how much inventory they had.