or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Stereo Integrity 24" subwoofer - not kidding!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stereo Integrity 24" subwoofer - not kidding! - Page 12

post #331 of 522
Nick stated my SI 24 driver is now completed and should ship next week. I will update my build thread when it arrives next week.
post #332 of 522
Sweet!

That will be some experience unpacking that monster!cool.gif
post #333 of 522
Agreed. But it cant be worse than unpacking the CHT 18.2s and Ftw 21s. Those subs and drivers had three layers of box and padding on them. Took forever to get them off.
post #334 of 522

My buddy John won one of these in the giveaway that SI did a couple months back.  He brought it over about a month ago and we played around with it over the weekend.  He doesn't have a box for it yet but we ran some test tones through it in free air, and talk about a sight to behold.  Looked quite linear from what I could see, and it didn't appear to have any sort of build issues at all.  Actually the build quality was extremely impressive - very polished and a handsome woofer if you ask me.  I love the look of the coating they've got on this cone.  We had a 15" Tumult in my living room which was my previous high water mark, but the size difference between the two was just staggering.  I kept finding myself looking at the driver and chuckling, because it was just so huge.  I can't wait to hear what this thing can do once he gets it into a box.  He's got the driver and an amp, but he lives out in the middle of nowhere and doesn't own a table saw.  Surprisingly he's having a heck of a time finding anyone within driving distance who is actually willing to cut the wood for him.  If you guys know of anyone in the WA state or north OR area who would be open to that let me know - I think he's getting pretty frustrated about not being able to get something built so he can test this thing out.  Here's a shot of it on top of the Tumult Cabinet.  By the way, that's a 12" driver in the background.

post #335 of 522
The guys at caraudiofactory.com can build him a box for it for around $200. Ask your friend to contact them for a quote.
post #336 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wright View Post

My buddy John won one of these in the giveaway that SI did a couple months back.  He brought it over about a month ago and we played around with it over the weekend.  He doesn't have a box for it yet but we ran some test tones through it in free air, and talk about a sight to behold.  Looked quite linear from what I could see, and it didn't appear to have any sort of build issues at all.  Actually the build quality was extremely impressive - very polished and a handsome woofer if you ask me.  I love the look of the coating they've got on this cone.  We had a 15" Tumult in my living room which was my previous high water mark, but the size difference between the two was just staggering.  I kept finding myself looking at the driver and chuckling, because it was just so huge.  I can't wait to hear what this thing can do once he gets it into a box.  He's got the driver and an amp, but he lives out in the middle of nowhere and doesn't own a table saw.  Surprisingly he's having a heck of a time finding anyone within driving distance who is actually willing to cut the wood for him.  If you guys know of anyone in the WA state or north OR area who would be open to that let me know - I think he's getting pretty frustrated about not being able to get something built so he can test this thing out.  Here's a shot of it on top of the Tumult Cabinet.  By the way, that's a 12" driver in the background.


Nice picture. cool.gif The odd thing about that driver is that pictures do not do any justice. Most people, including myself, find themselves standing back from it laughing at the sheer size of it.
post #337 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolephile View Post

Nick stated my SI 24 driver is now completed and should ship next week. I will update my build thread when it arrives next week.

Yep. I'll have the head of our shipping department box it up tomorrow and send it off on its voyage to you.

I put it through its paces this past Friday. A few people "tested" it at the shop on thursday but they were too scared to turn it up so I grabbed it on Friday and REALY got it moving! eek.gif
post #338 of 522
Won't be long now!
post #339 of 522
Nick, how many SI 18's would a single SI 24 equal below 25hz? I'm thinking of someday adding a couple of big subs to my SI's to add to the low end even though it's completely unnecessary. biggrin.gif
post #340 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Nick, how many SI 18's would a single SI 24 equal below 25hz? I'm thinking of someday adding a couple of big subs to my SI's to add to the low end even though it's completely unnecessary. biggrin.gif

It takes roughly five of our HT 18's to out-displace a single HS 24. Anything less than five of our 18's and you're just pissing in the wind.
post #341 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrodynamic View Post

It takes roughly five of our HT 18's to out-displace a single HS 24. Anything less than five of our 18's and you're just pissing in the wind.

Woah, woah, woah!! eek.gifsmile.gif

I did not expect you to say that many 18's.

Ok, so I have 8 18's right now. I would have to add 8 more 18's to get 6 more db's, so your saying if I get 2 24's that would be getting a bit more than that 6 db increase right?


What does the enclosure size need to be for a sealed 24"? I'm sure I've read it in the thread but I can't remember.


thanks
post #342 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrodynamic View Post

It takes roughly five of our HT 18's to out-displace a single HS 24. Anything less than five of our 18's and you're just pissing in the wind.

I think I just pissed myself.eek.gifbiggrin.gif
post #343 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Woah, woah, woah!! eek.gifsmile.gif

I did not expect you to say that many 18's.

Ok, so I have 8 18's right now. I would have to add 8 more 18's to get 6 more db's, so your saying if I get 2 24's that would be getting a bit more than that 6 db increase right?


What does the enclosure size need to be for a sealed 24"? I'm sure I've read it in the thread but I can't remember.


thanks

Ten cubic ft.
post #344 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolephile View Post

Ten cubic ft.

Thanks... hmmm I have room for that. Now, if I just had money. frown.gif
post #345 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolephile View Post

I think I just pissed myself.eek.gifbiggrin.gif


Can't wait to see how this turns out for you. Wow, 5 18's. Wow. smile.gif
post #346 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Can't wait to see how this turns out for you. Wow, 5 18's. Wow. smile.gif

My box should be finished this week as well. I LOVE it when a plan comes together. Lol. I will let you know how the sub behaves in both the HT and music realms. You know I'm ultra picky with my music. And any sub I use must be extremely musical.
Edited by Swolephile - 11/17/13 at 10:28pm
post #347 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolephile View Post

My box should be finished this week as well. I LOVE it when plan comes together. Lol. I will let you kniw hiw the sub behaves kn both the HT and music realms. You kniw Im ultra picky with my music. And any sub I use must be extremely musical.


The 18's are absolutely great with music so hoping the same thing with the 24 for you.

In my case I would probably not even need to turn on the 24's unless I was getting crazy with a heavy ULF movie. The SI's have music covered and then some. Although there would be the occasional Bass I Love You type song though that the 24's would need to make an appearance. smile.gif
post #348 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

The 18's are absolutely great with music so hoping the same thing with the 24 for you.

In my case I would probably not even need to turn on the 24's unless I was getting crazy with a heavy ULF movie. The SI's have music covered and then some. Although there would be the occasional Bass I Love You type song though that the 24's would need to make an appearance. smile.gif

Well this is my last voyage into giant sub territory. If this sub does not extremely impress in both realms I'm going back to multiple 18s and not looking back.
post #349 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrodynamic View Post

It takes roughly five of our HT 18's to out-displace a single HS 24. Anything less than five of our 18's and you're just pissing in the wind.


I'm a little confused; according to the specs on your website calculating the displacement of each driver (the 18 and the 24) 3 of the 18's very slightly out displace 1 of the 24's. This does not take frequency into consideration, but is far from the 5 you say is needed to out displace one 24. can you please give a little more insight into this.
post #350 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bubbles View Post

I'm a little confused; according to the specs on your website calculating the displacement of each driver (the 18 and the 24) 3 of the 18's very slightly out displace 1 of the 24's. This does not take frequency into consideration, but is far from the 5 you say is needed to out displace one 24. can you please give a little more insight into this.


I asked him what the comparison would be from 25hz and down so maybe he was just referring to the lower frequencies?
post #351 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I asked him what the comparison would be from 25hz and down so maybe he was just referring to the lower frequencies?

The lower frequencies are limited by Xmax. Mr. Bubbles ist correct when he says that 3 x HT 18 equal 1 x HS 24. It is simple math (Vd = Sd * Xmax). At least theoretical until Klippel measurements of the final HS 24 appear.
post #352 of 522
for a larger xmax 18" driver, you would only need 2 to 2.5 to equal the 24 in diaplacement ifbit has as much xmax as stated.
post #353 of 522
the 24 has 15 liters, the REXXX has 13 liters, very close. MY 18's have 7.2 liters so 2 get real close. Still, 24's would fit below my 18's.
post #354 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wright View Post

Looked quite linear from what I could see...

You must have excellent vision.
post #355 of 522
No, I stand corrected as per my previous post. It must have been really late and/or my 18 month son was up way past his bed time. Not thinking clearly and being on the forums is not a good combination. tongue.gif

It does take three of our 18's to out-displace a single 24. That's an overall box volume of 12 ft^3 (sealed for both sets of drivers). And even then I'm sure you guys have been modeling the drivers up in WinISD like crazy so you can see the obvious LFE advantage the HS 24" woofer holds over multiple HT 18's even when you consider multiple HT drivers in an anechoic chamber (what WinISD simulates).

It really comes down to size and if you want it or not. If you want to get into a war of drivers-vs-xmax you only need to look back to the original Adire Audio Shiva. Go out and buy a lot of those drivers and build a lot of enclosures (or a very big one) to equal the same output as one of our 24's. Is our HS 24" a novelty? Yes. It is not for those of you restricted by 4 ft^3 or less for a single enclosure. It is a big woofer of big proportions.

I have re-visited the placement of our 24" driver in my media room more times than I can count. It is huge. It is so huge that I'm going to end up placing it in the closet in an "IB" alignment using the closet as the enclosure. I was first going to put it in the ceiling in a truly IB alignment but then I realized that the projector would shake badly even after all of the gaskets/re-inforcements I could fathom.
post #356 of 522
Three 18's is what I figured you meant last night. Sounds right.
post #357 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

for a larger xmax 18" driver, you would only need 2 to 2.5 to equal the 24 in diaplacement ifbit has as much xmax as stated.

So would two SI 18s have more xmax then one Uxl 18?
post #358 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wright View Post

Looked quite linear from what I could see...

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by noah katz View Post


You must have excellent vision.


To clarify, I meant that I couldn't detect any visible cone/coil wobble that might be caused by a misalignment or defect, as mentioned by N8.  Obviously I can't speak to its distortion values as we did not measure it nor mount it in a cabinet.

 

 

post #359 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolephile View Post

So would two SI 18s have more xmax then one Uxl 18?

It takes 2 x Si18s to equal 1 x UXL. you dont just add up xmax from all the drivers.
post #360 of 522
Okay that is what I figured. Thanks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DIY Speakers and Subs
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Stereo Integrity 24" subwoofer - not kidding!