or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Display Calibration › Newbie questions re: purchasing a meter. Also, question about using settings that others have posted
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Newbie questions re: purchasing a meter. Also, question about using settings that others have...

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Previously, I have calibrated with discs like the Avia and Spears and Munsil (only - no meter), but I am thinking about getting a meter to use to calibrate my new Panasonic 42" S60 plasma that I have recently ordered. It looks like the I1Display Pro bundled with Calman Tutorial for $250 may be my best choice. One important criteria for me is that I can use the meter to also calibrate my front projection (Epson LCD projector), a CRT, a LCD, and a Plasma. Is there a more affordable meter that anyone would recommend or is this my best choice from the currently available new meters? (I am not interested in a used meter due to the meter likely having drifted)

Does anyone know for how long the I1Display Pro would stay calibrated before it starts drifting significantly due to the degradation that can occur with colorimeters? Are we talking a year, 2 years, 5 years? I have just read about the degradation that can occur, but I really don't have a sense of how bad it is and how quickly and significantly it can drift.

As another option, I have thought I could just use the settings from Cnet or other posters that have used meters to calibrate their S60... but all of the settings I have seen were calibrations for larger panels in the S60 line... not the 42". Am I correct in thinking that I would be better off getting a meter and calibrating myself versus using settings posted for a 50" or 65" panel on my 42"?

Thank you for bearing with my "newbie" questions!
post #2 of 7
- the I1Display PRO is the best choice for accuracy for the price, others options are spectro like i1PRO but more expensive, forget low end colorimeters (Spyder...)
- tutorial is the entry level from spectracal but you can upgrade for more option but more expensive too (basic/control/enthusiast)
- another bundle is Chromapure standard with the i1Display
- the Display Pro can be used with FP, CRT, Plasma...
- from the feedbacks, if the colorimeter is well protected (ziploc bag, desicant gel...) it "will" not drift before years...
- use settings from another display it's not the best option, it's better buy your own gear, learn about calibration (here on AVS Forum or others site like curtpalme "calibration for dummies...) and calibrate for yourself the results xill be better than copying settings from inte;)rnet
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by realzven View Post

- the I1Display PRO is the best choice for accuracy for the price, others options are spectro like i1PRO but more expensive, forget low end colorimeters (Spyder...)
- tutorial is the entry level from spectracal but you can upgrade for more option but more expensive too (basic/control/enthusiast)
- another bundle is Chromapure standard with the i1Display
- the Display Pro can be used with FP, CRT, Plasma...
- from the feedbacks, if the colorimeter is well protected (ziploc bag, desicant gel...) it "will" not drift before years...
- use settings from another display it's not the best option, it's better buy your own gear, learn about calibration (here on AVS Forum or others site like curtpalme "calibration for dummies...) and calibrate for yourself the results xill be better than copying settings from inte;)rnet

Pretty much summed it up.

To calibrate your plasma, it's advisable to do so without contact (like an LCD, CRT), so you'll have to rig your meter onto a tripod and point it at the screen (and be mindful of ambient light). Use window pattern over fields for plasmas too.

As for the pattern generator, get yourself a copy of the amazing (and free too!) AVS HD 709 disk, it has all the required patterns to use with CalMAN / Chromapure. The APL patterns are great for plasmas.

No two meters will drift at the same speed, but keeping it in a moisture free, dark environment will give it the best chance of survival.

The settings you see on websites like this forum, CNET etc are all for their own review units. These settings are so hit and miss for other panels that you should take them with a massive serving of salt. Sometimes they can help, but the whole point of calibration is getting the correct settings (and proving so) for your unit. If that's what you care about, than calibration is for you!

Hayden
post #4 of 7
You won't know if the i1D3 Series are accurate on your display.. I always recommend a i1Pro Spectrometer, even a used i1Pro Rev D ($250-$450) is great.

Why a Spectro, see why here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1373556/i1-pro-or-d3-if-you-could-only-have-one-meter

http://www.tlvexp.ca/2012/04/do-calibration-tables-really-work-for-tri-stim-devices/

And Read these Threads:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1449310/eye-one-pro-or-display-3-pro

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1464411/what-would-you-rather-have-for-display-calibration
post #5 of 7
I was sure Turbe will come here with his usual good advice to buy a used rev d i1 pro wink.gif

FYI i have a rev d i1pro
post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by realzven View Post

- from the feedbacks, if the colorimeter is well protected (ziploc bag, desicant gel...) it "will" not drift before years...

Thank you for the great tip about putting it in Ziploc bag with desicant gel packs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by e08 View Post

To calibrate your plasma, it's advisable to do so without contact (like an LCD, CRT), so you'll have to rig your meter onto a tripod and point it at the screen (and be mindful of ambient light). Use window pattern over fields for plasmas too.

As for the pattern generator, get yourself a copy of the amazing (and free too!) AVS HD 709 disk, it has all the required patterns to use with CalMAN / Chromapure. The APL patterns are great for plasmas.

No two meters will drift at the same speed, but keeping it in a moisture free, dark environment will give it the best chance of survival.

Thank you for the good tips on which patterns would be best for plasma and going non-contact. I had already downloaded AVS HD 709!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

You won't know if the i1D3 Series are accurate on your display.. I always recommend a i1Pro Spectrometer, even a used i1Pro Rev D ($250-$450) is great.

I will read through these threads about the i1Pro Spectro. Thank you!
post #7 of 7
You can use contact with plasma's last I heard. I've done all my calibrations on 3 different plasma's in contact mode with no problems. You just have to give certain meters warm up time on the plasma, as well as have the plasma warmed up for like 10-15 minutes.

Also the Colormunki Photo/Design is a spectro which gives similar results to the eye one pro, and can be purchased new. The only difference is that they have plastic filters to measure the light spectrum vs glass for the eye one pro.

I also recommend the GCD 10% APL patterns as well as the 10% APL 75% luminance/amplitude 100% saturation patterns. You could also use windowed patterns with 100% luminance/amplitude 100% saturation patterns and get ok results.

edit: I ordered a Colormunki Photo yesterday, can't wait to calibrate my plasma with it in conjunction with the HCFR fork. smile.gif
Edited by fairchild99 - 4/25/13 at 2:41am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Display Calibration
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Display Calibration › Newbie questions re: purchasing a meter. Also, question about using settings that others have posted