Thanks everyone. I can't wait to explain this to my wife.
Her: "So did you get any good advice on what to do with this 'amazing' TV that's not working?"
Me: "Yup, most think I should buy two!" Hehe.
The irony of all this is the day AFTER delivery the temperature in Boston was well over 50...and presumably they would have powered on the set. Fat chance of that happening again, in January.
Great idea to talk to Amazon. I mentioned the situation already to ensure I could return the TV after the technician took a look/tried to repair it. Seems like they might be willing to cover my return since I could claim the alternative would be me returning a higher $ sale right now, and I'm not sure how they would resell this one, given it's in need of repair. Now if only they would give me the vt60 price for it! I'm a little worried about having the guy successfully fixing it only to later find out this one will continually have issues. But it sounds like people think if it's "just" the power board that alone wouldn't be likely. Hmm...maybe a service plan is in order if I go that route...