or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Should I get a new sub or .......
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Should I get a new sub or .......

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
Hello fellow members


I am looking for some opinions. I recently upgraded my Onkyo receiver to a Denon 3313 and I love it. I am currently running Polk speakers with a PSW10 for my subwoofer. My room is about 13 ft wide by about 18 ft deep. I have 9 foot ceilings as well. I am running a Panny 8000U progector to a 120 inch screen.

Now that you know my setup I want to ask my question. I was lucky enough to get a tax return and have about 300 bucks to spend on myself. I am debating between a Darbee and a new sub woofer. Which would you recommend?

I know that this is in the sub section but I will be honest.....I was not really sure where to post this. I know there is more activity over here then in the processing section

Thanks everyone
post #2 of 22
Definitely a new sub. The Klipsch RW-12d - when on sale at Newgg.com for $300 - will blow the PSW10 away. It would be a very solid upgrade to your HT. smile.gif
post #3 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

Definitely a new sub. The Klipsch RW-12d - when on sale at Newgg.com for $300 - will blow the PSW10 away. It would be a very solid upgrade to your HT. smile.gif

x2!
post #4 of 22
Thread Starter 
I understand that almost anything I get will blow away the PSW10. I honestly do not like it at all as I barely hear it. I got it for 70 bucks from Amazon years ago and was using it in a much smaller room until I recently moved.

For those recommending a new sub, do any of you have the Darbee as a comparison for which I should get? Thanks
post #5 of 22
what does the darbee have to do with subwoofers?
post #6 of 22
If I understood his initial post correctly, his options are improve his subwooferage or improve his video processing. The latter is what the Darbee is for.

IMO, given the PJ he's got, I don't think the Darbee will make the kind of difference to his video experience that moving up to the RW-12d will do for his bass/LFE experience.
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadcj7 View Post

I understand that almost anything I get will blow away the PSW10. I honestly do not like it at all as I barely hear it. I got it for 70 bucks from Amazon years ago and was using it in a much smaller room until I recently moved.

For those recommending a new sub, do any of you have the Darbee as a comparison for which I should get? Thanks

Like I said in the Darbee thread, I would upgrade the sub first - subs and speakers can last forever, so I would buy quality.. all other HT equipment (TV, bd players, AVRs) is obsolete the day it comes out almost..

That being said, the Darbee on a 100+" screen, wow.. cool.gif
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

what does the darbee have to do with subwoofers?

He's debating on which one to get now - sub or Darbee
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

He's debating on which one to get now - sub or Darbee

I know...this is the sub section so most of us will say get a different sub. smile.gif I do not think a darbee will improve his home theatre experience nearly as much as upgrading the sub.
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

I know...this is the sub section so most of us will say get a different sub. smile.gif I do not think a darbee will improve his home theatre experience nearly as much as upgrading the sub.

Haha good point !

But he did also ask the question in the Darbee thread, so the opinions should balance out you would think..

I agree with the sub over the Darbee at this point, regardless of which thread were in wink.gif
post #11 of 22
Thread Starter 
thank you everyone. I apologize for confusing anyone. I was looking to see what would be recommended between the two. I wanted to see if I could find people with both a quality sub and a darbee to see where I could get the most improvement for the money. Thanks again and now it looks like I will be taking a little more research to subs. The Klipsch will be on the top of my list as I have seen a lot of people around here like this sub.


Thanks again
post #12 of 22
Another thing that I forgot to mention, that you might want to take into consideration before making your final decision, is the fact that the Darblet (or the Cobalt for that matter) is still in version A of the product. Nothing wrong with that in itself, the Darbees do what they're supposed to do, no doubt about that, I love the effect it gives, but the current versions are not upgradable by the end user, there are no USB ports on the units. If a firmware update is required, it will have to be sent back to the manufacturers (at your own shipping cost obviously, there might also be a 'processing' fee charged by the company, no one really knows since there hasn't been any FW updates yet). For me that would be a problem, since I live in Canada.. but thankfully the unit works great and there doesn't seem to be any major flaws in the current FW version (it doesn't clip white/black or anything like that, audio passes without any issue etc.) , so I might be ok with this one even if they do come out with a FW update in the future..

Who knows, they might come out with a version B that actually has a USB port on it, that would be the one to buy.. it is 2013 after all tongue.gif
post #13 of 22
Thread Starter 
I am more then likely going to go with a different subwoofer. I would like to purchase one that I could possible add one in the future so I have 2. My only concern with the Klipsch is that there may not be anymore when it comes time to purchase another one. Is there any other suggestions that people would recommend even if I could bump my budget up to $400? Thanks
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadcj7 View Post

I am more then likely going to go with a different subwoofer. I would like to purchase one that I could possible add one in the future so I have 2. My only concern with the Klipsch is that there may not be anymore when it comes time to purchase another one. Is there any other suggestions that people would recommend even if I could bump my budget up to $400? Thanks

If you can go up to 450, 500 max, check out SVS. Bass you can feel.. trust me on that

A good sub that you take good care of will last forever, don't buy cheap and have to replace earlier than you really want to.. Lots of options for subs out there, take your pick !
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadcj7 View Post

I am more then likely going to go with a different subwoofer. I would like to purchase one that I could possible add one in the future so I have 2. My only concern with the Klipsch is that there may not be anymore when it comes time to purchase another one. Is there any other suggestions that people would recommend even if I could bump my budget up to $400? Thanks

PA-150.
post #16 of 22
$450 will buy you a b stock svs pb1000

I used to own a PL200 replaced it with an SB12, the PA is very similar to the PL200.

The PL200 was very good with movies though at times boomy, it did well with music as well. The SVS is just a diffrent type of subwoofer, the quality of bass is much better. Either way if you budget is closer to 300 the Bic PL 200 or the PA will keep you content
Edited by deepat04 - 4/29/13 at 8:52pm
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadcj7 View Post

I am more then likely going to go with a different subwoofer. I would like to purchase one that I could possible add one in the future so I have 2. My only concern with the Klipsch is that there may not be anymore when it comes time to purchase another one. Is there any other suggestions that people would recommend even if I could bump my budget up to $400? Thanks

Get the Premier Acoustics PA-150, it has a lot of output above 40 hz.
post #18 of 22
I would try to hold off for another $100 if you can. It makes such a big difference having something that can go to 20ish with authority instead of dropping off at 30Hz. SVS-HSU and outlaw come to mind off the top of my head.
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

I would try to hold off for another $100 if you can. It makes such a big difference having something that can go to 20ish with authority instead of dropping off at 30Hz. SVS-HSU and outlaw come to mind off the top of my head.

+1 bass you can feel - SvS cool.gif
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

I would try to hold off for another $100 if you can. It makes such a big difference having something that can go to 20ish with authority instead of dropping off at 30Hz. SVS-HSU and outlaw come to mind off the top of my head.

Whoah... Steve nn sighting... good advice still smile.gif
post #21 of 22
Don't be afraid to check out the used sub market. You never know what you may run across.
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Whoah...

Hey Tack;)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Should I get a new sub or .......