or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Need help with newly purchased Subwoofer :(
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need help with newly purchased Subwoofer :(

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
Hey everyone,

I am having issues with a new subwoofer I purchased. I'm assuming I'm supposed to hear a little more bass than I currently am (I don't feel anything coming out of the bass during actual music/HT and don't feel any air coming out of the back chamber).

I have a Yamaha RX-V573 receiver. When I purchased my Polk front and center speakers, I could just use the YPAO and have it automatically get things setup. I just got a Rythmik LV12R (it's their newer version of the FV12). It's plugged in power wise of couse, running the LFE cable from it to the only subwoofer port on the Yamaha's back.

When I ran the YPAO the first time, I had to change from auto detect for powering to always on, because it didn't even detect it. Now, it does detect it, but barely any bass comes out of it. Is this normal? Even if I crank the volume all the way to the max, it's not sounding like it gives much bass output. Heck, my Onkyo 200 dollar HTIB back in the day cranked out more than what I'm detecting and from the reviews I've read on this SW, it should be pretty darn good for the amount spent.

Any recommendations on what to fix/tweak? Thanks.
post #2 of 26
turn the input gain up on the back of the sub.
post #3 of 26
Thread Starter 
Already have it cranked to max after barely hearing anything at half.
post #4 of 26
Rerun YPAO with sub volume at 1/2 and post your AVR settings. Crossover, sub volume, sub distance, etc.
Are all your speakers set to small?
What other speakers do you have?
post #5 of 26
Thread Starter 
I had the gain on the sub set to 1/2 per the instructions that came with the subwoofer when I originally ran the YPAO. When it completed it, it detected the sub just at a faint level. When looking at settings after unplugging the YPAO mic, I noticed the sub on the AVR, had its volume set at -10db. The fronts and centers were still set to Large (it always set it to this) and the crossover was set to 40hz. The volume on the sub was set to -10db while the fronts/center were around +3db.

I did notice if I cranked the volume on the receiver for the sub to +10db, set the speakers to small, and changed the crossover to 80 (which the Rythmik manual said to do prior to running YPAO), I could definitely notice it more. The thing with the YPAO is I figured it just overrides these manual settings, so not sure why it's not picking it up right and I'm having to manually mess with it (nor do I know what I should be setting some of this stuff to, sorry - I'm a bit of a noob with this all).

In the manual it says

Crossover

Sets the lower limit of the low-frequency
components that can be output from a speaker
whose size is set to “Small”. A frequency
sound lower than the specified value will be
produced from the subwoofer or front speakers

If I set the speakers to small does that mean only the bass that is higher than the crossover amount will get sent to those speakers? The speakers are the Polk RTiA series (RtiA3's for the fronts, and the CSiA6 for the center).
post #6 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstrasz View Post

I had the gain on the sub set to 1/2 per the instructions that came with the subwoofer when I originally ran the YPAO. When it completed it, it detected the sub just at a faint level. When looking at settings after unplugging the YPAO mic, I noticed the sub on the AVR, had its volume set at -10db. The fronts and centers were still set to Large (it always set it to this) and the crossover was set to 40hz. The volume on the sub was set to -10db while the fronts/center were around +3db.

I did notice if I cranked the volume on the receiver for the sub to +10db, set the speakers to small, and changed the crossover to 80 (which the Rythmik manual said to do prior to running YPAO), I could definitely notice it more. The thing with the YPAO is I figured it just overrides these manual settings, so not sure why it's not picking it up right and I'm having to manually mess with it (nor do I know what I should be setting some of this stuff to, sorry - I'm a bit of a noob with this all).

In the manual it says

Crossover

Sets the lower limit of the low-frequency
components that can be output from a speaker
whose size is set to “Small”. A frequency
sound lower than the specified value will be
produced from the subwoofer or front speakers

If I set the speakers to small does that mean only the bass that is higher than the crossover amount will get sent to those speakers? The speakers are the Polk RTiA series (RtiA3's for the fronts, and the CSiA6 for the center).
Yes, that is correct. Only the frequencies above the crossover will be sent to the speakers.
The avr sub volume only goes down to -10 so you could be at -25. Turn the sub volume down and rerun YPAO until the avr sub volume is close to 0 and report.
post #7 of 26
Turn the gain (volume) on the sub to 1/3 instead of 1/2 then rerun ypao...you want it to set the sub closer to zero, probably +/- 5 would be a good range to aim at for the avr trim on the sub after running ypao, at -10 it indicates your gain is still too high. I usually set my subs at 1/4 to 1/3 to start, 1/2 is usually overkill. Set your speakers to small and set the crossover to 60 instead of 40 after running ypao. Now report on the bass. Experiment with the sub crossed at 80 (THX recommended).
post #8 of 26
Lower the gain on the sub and rerun ypao. The -10db reading from ypao means the sub was too loud. You want the reading to be close to 0db. Do set your speakers to small, crossover usually at 80hz. This will route everything below 80hz to the sub and above 80hz to your speakers.
post #9 of 26
Thread Starter 
Okay, so I set the gain to 1/4 the AVR to 80hz, speakers to small. It automatically sets the speakers back to Large, the crossover to 40hz and the sub to +7. Keep lowering it? Any lower and it's pretty much at the minimum.
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstrasz View Post

Okay, so I set the gain to 1/4 the AVR to 80hz, speakers to small. It automatically sets the speakers back to Large, the crossover to 40hz and the sub to -10. Keep lowering it?
Yes. Dont worry about anything else until you get close to 0.
post #11 of 26
I would have thought that by 1/4 you'd be getting closer to 0db, but yah, turn it down more. I just set up a new sub with my a720. I ended up only using ypao to adjust the gain on my sub and for distances. Once I had those meaurements I went to manual setup and plugged in those settings. Do the same. Use it to adjust your sub gain and distances the go to manual, set your speakers to small, crossover at 80hz, and the distances. You might see ypao give you a funny distance for the sub, but use it .
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstrasz View Post

Okay, so I set the gain to 1/4 the AVR to 80hz, speakers to small. It automatically sets the speakers back to Large, the crossover to 40hz and the sub to +7. Keep lowering it? Any lower and it's pretty much at the minimum.

Change the crossover and speakers to small AFTER running YPAO and then start listening. With the gain at 1/3 where what was the trim level in the avr for the sub?
post #13 of 26
Im off to bed. Once you get close to 0 the leave the sub alone.
Set the avr xover to 80, ALL speakers to small. Adjust the sub volume according to taste IN THE AVR ONLY?
Report your results and I will check back tomorrow.
Good luck. smile.gif
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371 View Post

I would have thought that by 1/4 you'd be getting closer to 0db, but yah, turn it down more. I just set up a new sub with my a720. I ended up only using ypao to adjust the gain on my sub and for distances. Once I had those meaurements I went to manual setup and plugged in those settings. Do the same. Use it to adjust your sub gain and distances the go to manual, set your speakers to small, crossover at 80hz, and the distances. You might see ypao give you a funny distance for the sub, but use it .

At +7 he actually needs to turn the gain up a bit from 1/4, thus my suggestion for 1/3
post #15 of 26
Thread Starter 
Okay, so the lower I set the gain, the more I ran into issues. It kept trying to keep it at +10db for the sub. If I went too low it wouldn't detect it and threw up an error at the end of the calibration. However, I set the gain back to half on the sub, and now the settings it acquired are +1.5db for the front l/r, -2.5 for the center, and +1.0 for the sub. It set the crossover to 40hz again and the speakers to large.
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstrasz View Post

Okay, so the lower I set the gain, the more I ran into issues. It kept trying to keep it at +10db for the sub. If I went too low it wouldn't detect it and threw up an error at the end of the calibration. However, I set the gain back to half on the sub, and now the settings it acquired are +1.5db for the front l/r, -2.5 for the center, and +1.0 for the sub. It set the crossover to 40hz again and the speakers to large.

Cool now set the crossover to 60 or 80 and the speakers all to small and start listening and report...
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

At +7 he actually needs to turn the gain up a bit from 1/4, thus my suggestion for 1/3
He edited the post from -10 to +7 after I responded.
post #18 of 26
Thread Starter 
Sounds like I'm pretty closer. I'll just get it a bit closer to 0 and should be good to go, then set the sizes to small and the crossover to 80.
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

At +7 he actually needs to turn the gain up a bit from 1/4, thus my suggestion for 1/3
He edited the post from -10 to +7 after I responded.

I thought that wasn't even reported initially then read again and saw plus7 and edited my own wink.gif
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstrasz View Post

Okay, so the lower I set the gain, the more I ran into issues. It kept trying to keep it at +10db for the sub. If I went too low it wouldn't detect it and threw up an error at the end of the calibration. However, I set the gain back to half on the sub, and now the settings it acquired are +1.5db for the front l/r, -2.5 for the center, and +1.0 for the sub. It set the crossover to 40hz again and the speakers to large.
The other speaker volumes are irrelevant at this,point.
post #21 of 26
Thread Starter 
Sorry, yeah I edited the post after the fact when I realized I had the values wrong.

Anyways, got it to +0.5 for the sub. Set the speakers to small and crossover to 80. Definitely notice it now. If I want to increase the bass volume should i now do that on the back of the sub or change the db setting in the AVR? Noticed that Bond 007 mentioned AVR.

EDIT: Meaning if I want to lower/increase bass depending on my viewing times (i.e. not super loud at night to wake the neighbors smile.gif. Basically, just didn't know if I should not mess with the volume knob on the subwoofer now that it's calibrated.
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

At +7 he actually needs to turn the gain up a bit from 1/4, thus my suggestion for 1/3
Yah, you're right. I posted before the edit. Thought he was still at -10, not +7
post #23 of 26
OP--don't go changing settings from try to try in the same post in a thread like this....just confusing!
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstrasz View Post

Sorry, yeah I edited the post after the fact when I realized I had the values wrong.

Anyways, got it to +0.5 for the sub. Set the speakers to small and crossover to 80. Definitely notice it now. If I want to increase the bass volume should i now do that on the back of the sub or change the db setting in the AVR? Noticed that Bond 007 mentioned AVR.

EDIT: Meaning if I want to lower/increase bass depending on my viewing times (i.e. not super loud at night to wake the neighbors smile.gif. Basically, just didn't know if I should not mess with the volume knob on the subwoofer now that it's calibrated.

Yes, use the avr trim adjustment....besides it's easier assuming you have a remote (and more accurate to change back than fiddling with the knob on the sub).
post #25 of 26
Thread Starter 
Okay, thanks everyone. I have it set to a good level now and going to listen with some different material and see how it sounds. I appreciate all your help smile.gif.
post #26 of 26
Enjoy!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Need help with newly purchased Subwoofer :(