or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The *** Official Marantz NR1604 *** Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The *** Official Marantz NR1604 *** Owners Thread - Page 5

post #121 of 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

At average volume levels, yup. smile.gif

With a SPL meter on my current system I have kicking around I measured 88DB maximum during the loudest action sequence in Percy Jackson. I'd imagine that'd still be 'average'? 'Reference' is even higher IIRC. Thanks
post #122 of 562
Reference is 85db-105db (or 80/0db on the master volume dial) so you would likely listen at a master volume level of 60/-20db which would indeed be average. smile.gif
post #123 of 562
I started a new thread without realizing there was already a thread for this receiver. Here's my question:

I'm a little bit concerned that given my room dimensions and the (small) speakers I'm considering to buy (CA Minx or Definitive Tech speakers) this AVR is not going to be powerful enough.

From what I read my viewing area doesn't seem to be 'Sound-friendly). The dimensions I'm giving include only the space between the AVR and my sofa but I live in a open plan home and there's an adjoined kitchen on one side of my viewing area, a glass sliding door on the other side and a huge open space behind the sofa so I have a perfect storm for sound waves coming off small sat speakers. I'm not thinking to fill these other areas, just the area I'm providing dimensions for.

Here's some extra info about what I'm trying to do:
Listening preferences: Movies: 80%, Music: 20%
I'm not looking for big sound but rather clear voice and good surround sound experience.
Minimalistic furniture and no space (or intentions) of adding any acoustic panels or however they're called.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
MV
post #124 of 562
I'm interested in buying the 1604 and have a question: does the receiver overlay the volume on screen via HDMI out? With our current receiver it frustrates the hell out of my wife that the volume doesn't come on screen.
post #125 of 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

3. Nope, AFAIK, you'd have to upgrade to the 5008 for gapless.

If you are using airplay isnt it up to the actual device running itunes, the amp is just the speakers?
post #126 of 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTV Programmer View Post

I'm interested in buying the 1604 and have a question: does the receiver overlay the volume on screen via HDMI out? With our current receiver it frustrates the hell out of my wife that the volume doesn't come on screen.

Yes. Beginning with the 2012 models, they all do this now to include the 1604.
post #127 of 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Yes. Beginning with the 2012 models, they all do this now to include the 1604.

I actually looked for an on line image to link to but could not find one so here is a home pic. smile.gif
This is pressing the 'Info' button if you just hit the volume up or down only the bottom volume bar will appear.
The OSD is basically the similar to other Marantz and Denon.

post #128 of 562
Hello, I'm old school to the avs and am working on a projector project in my basement. The 2 receivers I'm looking at is the 1604, or the 5007.

Do these 2 receivers have the same upscalling to 4k resolution? Either way, is that something I want with my set up?

My set up is thus far;

BenQ W1080st(picked it up yesterday)
Jamestown 110" High Contrast Grey screen(being made now)
New Martin Logan Motion 8
Older Paradigm Monitor Surround speakers and front speakers(next to be upgraded)

No plans to go 7.1.

I hope you can help me decide here. Either the Marantz 1604, or the 5007. Size doesn't matter.

But will the upscalling HDMi make a difference for me? Will it make the projector picture quality 4k quality?

Thanks in advance. smile.gif
post #129 of 562
Yes, they both have the same 4K upscaling capability; however, a quick google search shows your PJ is only 1080p so that feature will be moot. The 5007 features the more advanced Audyssey MultEQ XT so would provide for better audio quality than will the 1604 not to mention it offers a full set of pre-outs should your speaker upgrade include 4-ohm speakers and an external amp to power more than just the FL/FR speakers.
post #130 of 562
Woah, the system found one of my old user names. I'm discgolf777.

Thanks, I went and purchased the 5007. It was an open box that someone returned to best buy Mongolia. I talked them down to $449, and then I bought the extended warranty on it.

They even somehow found the manual and accessories including the mic, manual, and remote.

$531 after tax etc. Not bad. The 1604 they wanted $540. Probably had gotten it down to $499, but I like the look of the 5007, and it is a more expensive receiver new.


Project onward.

Thanks again. smile.gif
post #131 of 562
I finally pulled the trigger last night and bought the receiver thru eBay for 518 US $ with full manufacturer warranty and a 30-day return policy. Not a bad deal.

Speakers are next. I'm debating between the JBL CS6100BG set or the Cambridge Audio Minx setup. I think I will order both so I can test them at home and then will keep one.

This is my first Home Theater setup so I'm not sure what should I order in the meantime. Speakers cable? Surge Protection unit?
Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,
MV
post #132 of 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by theslydog View Post

I actually looked for an on line image to link to but could not find one so here is a home pic. smile.gif
This is pressing the 'Info' button if you just hit the volume up or down only the bottom volume bar will appear.
The OSD is basically the similar to other Marantz and Denon.


Wow, thanks everyone for the responses about on screen volume overlay! I'm sold!!
post #133 of 562
Hi, do you think Marantz 1603 or 1604 with 50w channel is good for room size 21 by 15 ft? I also between Energy Take Classic HT set Vs Energy CB-5's for speakers.

Thanks in advance for your time and suggestions.
post #134 of 562
For that room size you would be better served upgrading to the 5007/5008 as well as using larger speakers than the Energy Take Classics which are tiny satellite speakers designed for smaller sized rooms.
post #135 of 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bigins View Post

Woah, the system found one of my old user names. I'm discgolf777.

Thanks, I went and purchased the 5007. It was an open box that someone returned to best buy Mongolia. I talked them down to $449, and then I bought the extended warranty on it.

They even somehow found the manual and accessories including the mic, manual, and remote.

$531 after tax etc. Not bad. The 1604 they wanted $540. Probably had gotten it down to $499, but I like the look of the 5007, and it is a more expensive receiver new.


Project onward.

Thanks again. smile.gif

Where did you see 1604 for $540 as all of Best Buy's around me are $649.99





Alex
post #136 of 562
Just got my NR1604. Everything seems ok with it, however, I cannot get any web control of it at all. I can type in its IP address in the web browser and brings up the initial screen with 2 zones. If I touch, lets say Main Zone, it takes me to a page that is pretty much blank AND..... if pandora or any internet radio is playing, it jams up the playback so it stops.

So the question for you all is this:

Does yours do the same or am I just "special"?


My NR1602 is working fine this way.





Alex
post #137 of 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by osupike99 View Post

Just got my NR1604. Everything seems ok with it, however, I cannot get any web control of it at all. I can type in its IP address in the web browser and brings up the initial screen with 2 zones. If I touch, lets say Main Zone, it takes me to a page that is pretty much blank AND..... if pandora or any internet radio is playing, it jams up the playback so it stops.

So the question for you all is this:

Does yours do the same or am I just "special"?


My NR1602 is working fine this way.





Alex


Ok.... So.... If anyone is interested....If you rename the zones in the settings menu to something other than MainZone or Zone2, Web control and HTTP control and thus their App control becomes totally hosed because XML is still calling for "MainZone". What a bunch of ding dongs, those Denon/Marantz engineers.




Alex
post #138 of 562
Anyone running a Chromecast plugged into the NR1604?

Is the HDMI power sufficient?

I just got mine so I can answer my own question in probably 6 hours, but if anyone knows now... :-)
post #139 of 562
Hi there guys,

I recently purchased a NR1504 (so im not in the perfect thread but hope this will do) and after i installed it the OSD looks really bad. When I found this forum I saw this picture of your OSD and this looks very nice to me. Is there a setting i should change or something? Can't find it anywhere.

I'll try to upload an image when I get back home, but is is really pixelated and event these big pixels aren't sharp. When opening internet radio the resolution goes to 576 or something. The shown video is fine by the way, it's only the OSD.

Thanks!
post #140 of 562
The OSD resolution is 480i and some TVs are not able to accept a 480i signal over HDMI so check with your TV's Owner's manual to confirm whether that is the case or not.
post #141 of 562
Hi guys, looking at the 16004. I have kef q300's in tv room and a pair of patio speakers. My current hookup is using a Sonos Connect Amp (50 w/ch@8ohm,70@4ohms). The sound of the sonos is very good, wondering if the Marantz would be a good substitute-problem with the Sonos is that with volume control for patio at maximum, the Kef's are too loud, also there are major lip sync issues when watching tv, no digital ins on Sonos, so must use analog and there is a 2 second delay in the audio. So thinking that a 2 zone receiver may be best answer and then add a Sonos for input to the marantz.
Does anybody have any real world experience with Sonos amp v Marantz 1604?
Thanks for any input.
post #142 of 562
The 1604 is a 7.1 AVR so would be able to power your 2 speakers (up to 5) in the main zone and 2 patio speakers as Zone 2 without having to use the Sonos amp at all.
post #143 of 562
JD, thanks, I understand that, but my question has more to do with the quality of the sound between the 1604 and the Sonos. Do you think that the 1604 would be a step down from the sonos?
post #144 of 562
Although often debated .. there is no difference in audio quality between amps .. an amp simply provides power. If the 1604 is sufficient to power your Zone 2 speakers, there is no reason to include the Sonos..
post #145 of 562
I haven't been able to make ARC work with my Samsung Smart TV. Yes, I'm using an 'HDMI with Ethernet and ARC' cable which is being connected to the ARC HDMI ports in both the TV and the AVR.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
MV
post #146 of 562
Although the cable you purchased is certainly capable, keep in mind that even an HDMI 1.3 cable will work just as well as a cable is just a cable as far as ARC is concerned ... just something to pass the audio signal over. Review the following ....

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#user_E4
Edited by jdsmoothie - 8/21/13 at 1:09am
post #147 of 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The OSD resolution is 480i and some TVs are not able to accept a 480i signal over HDMI so check with your TV's Owner's manual to confirm whether that is the case or not.

When playing the internet radio the sammy says the display is 1920x1080/60p when I push the info button on the remote?
post #148 of 562
The OSD is being upscaled to the resolution of the TV which is 1080p.
post #149 of 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Although the cable you purchased is certainly capable, keep in mind that even an HDMI 1.3 cable will work just as well as a cable is just a cable as far as ARC is concerned ... just something to pass the audio signal over. Review the following ....

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#user_E4

Thanks for the pointer. I was able to fix my problem.
post #150 of 562
I wonder if anyone here can help. I am trying to find out if there is a way to output audio coming from a HDMI source to both the TV and the speakers. If not, is there a easy way to toggle the HDMI Audio Out setting between TV and AVR? My wife will never remember how to do it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The *** Official Marantz NR1604 *** Owners Thread