or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › AVS Can't-Wait Special—"Mastered in 4K" Blu-Ray Releases
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AVS Can't-Wait Special—"Mastered in 4K" Blu-Ray Releases - Page 12

post #331 of 824
That maybe applies to 2 of the 10 titles that are out now. I don't see any processing issues with old Glory, just an older transfer.
post #332 of 824
Since when does High Def Digest do screenshots? Of course, the chroma upsampling is poor and they used BT.601 colors. But it's something.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8985/spider-man_4k.html
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8995/amazing_spider_4k.html
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8987/karate_kid_4k.html

As could be seen from the previous TAM shots, they used a different downscaler. So it's not just a bitrate comparison.
Edited by msgohan - 5/17/13 at 11:22am
post #333 of 824
The xv color flags up with the Panasonic VT50 ( THX ) 2012 set

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4875/imageisvm.jpg
post #334 of 824
Gonna be picking up my Spiderman/Amazing Spiderman and Taxi Driver tonight.

I'm amazed there's been so little about Taxi Driver. That's the one title that got my heart to skip a beat when it was announced.
I love that movie enough to appreciate any additional image quality.

BTW, the choice these studios make when trying to make first impressions like these always astound me.
The Spiderman movies...ok. Taxi Driver. Hell ya. But...The Karate Kid? Battle: Los Angeles, ? The Other Guys? WTF?
post #335 of 824
Indeed.

They only thing I can think of, is that maybe they sold well originally.
post #336 of 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke View Post

Indeed.

They only thing I can think of, is that maybe they sold well originally.

To be frank, those films were the most recent and releasable 4K masters they had laying around. The majority of stuff that Sony has mastered in 4K are significantly older films pre-dating digital workflows but they are not going to release them until they deem it necessary to do so or they will use them as 4K exclusives.
post #337 of 824
"Not that many films have gone through this particular process and [Taxi Driver] is only the third one for us, after Dr. Strangelove and The Bridge on the River Kwai, though others are already in the works. By process, I mean a full 4K workflow with no downrezing. Especially scanning at 4K, it preserves the essential resolution of the 35mm negative." - Grover Crisp, March 2011 via The Digital Bits

Obviously they don't want to release all of the good movies at once and be left with nothing but crap for the following months of "Mastered in 4K" releases. These are the 10 titles that are bundled with their TVs and the MP-X1 4K Media Player:

• The Amazing Spiderman
• Total Recall (2012)
• The Karate Kid (2010)
• Battle Los Angeles
• The Other Guys
• Taxi Driver
Salt
Bad Teacher
That’s My Boy
The Bridge on the River Kwai

In bold are what we haven't gotten in this Blu-ray series yet.

After some further reading, it seems that xvYCC may use not only the 1-15 and 241-254 Cb/Cr values but also the combinations within 16-240 that result in "negative" RGB colors for certain Y' values. I'm trying to wrap my head around how I might find some frames utilizing these colors.
post #338 of 824
Wait a minute I just bought Bridge on the River Kwai, this is being re-released?
post #339 of 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

Wait a minute I just bought Bridge on the River Kwai, this is being re-released?

That's exactly the way they want it to be.. that's music to their ears right there, they love you wink.gif
post #340 of 824
I'll buy the fake 4k that's my boy just for Vaniila ice alone .. Sold
post #341 of 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post

First there would have to be hardware that can decode the Hi10P profile of AVC.
accI7zZg.jpg abgkG52S.jpg

What's wrong with the 2013 BD? The sky is YELLOW instead of white!?
post #342 of 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazel_wu View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post

First there would have to be hardware that can decode the Hi10P profile of AVC.
accI7zZg.jpg abgkG52S.jpg

What's wrong with the 2013 BD? The sky is YELLOW instead of white!?

That's weird.. that's the 4k BD with the yellow tint ? confused.gif

Maybe they rushed through it.. wink.gif
post #343 of 824
I looked at some of Spiderman and Taxi Driver 4K masters last night. Spiderman looked fantastic in terms of having a very smooth filmic un-enhanced (e.g. no edge enhancement) look while often having very fine detail. (Although as people have noted the sharpness is variable throughoug this film).

Taxi Driver blew me away. I've watched the previous release many times and never thought it looked THIS good in terms of the finest detail and really everything. I have to do a side by side with the first release to see if I'm correct, but I was very impressed by what I saw.
post #344 of 824
Seems pointless until they're actually spitting out 4K - I'll just stick with the darblet until then
post #345 of 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

That's exactly the way they want it to be.. that's music to their ears right there, they love you wink.gif

Since the my Kwai BD says right on the back 4K master I am not going to buy a marketing gimmick re-release unless it's native 4K.
post #346 of 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan View Post

The the $699 FMP-X1 player will only work on Sony displays. Leaves a lot of potential users out of the loop.

Where did you hear/read that? I highly doubt it will be proprietary.
Every tech blog that wrote about this player in April reported on this. Some say it will only work on the Sony UHD TVs and some say the VW1000 projector will be included.
Here is one link;
Quote:
Just don’t get any ideas about using the Media Player with other Ultra HD televisions. A Sony spokesman tells me the FMP-X1 will only work with Sony 4K televisions, and only in the United States.
Link.
Quote:
Update: The FMP-X1 can only be used with Sony UHDTVs, and will not function with any other brand UHDTV. However, you can use it with multiple Sony UHDTV models (one at a time). This was confirmed by a Sony spokesperson.
Link.


Just google it if you need more confirmations.
Edited by coolscan - 5/18/13 at 10:46am
post #347 of 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Seems pointless until they're actually spitting out 4K - I'll just stick with the darblet until then

To me and many others (especially who inhabit forums like this) a better image for a movie we love is never "pointless."

Sure I'd love real 4K versions of these films, but I'll take any better version when I can. Just as I appreciate any better, even if modest, upgrade in quality when I buy a new piece of gear.
post #348 of 824
The New Ghostbusters looks superb, a real upgrade over the prior Blu release. I grabbed this one as a test. Hopefully the others add the same degree of improvement. However, given that the real key to the new Ghostbusters release is the new transfer, it will be interesting to see how the higher bit rate translates into a noticeably better picture for a release that already had an excellent transfer, such as Kwai.
post #349 of 824
No one has said that Bridge on the River Kwai or the other titles I bolded are coming out in re-releases. Those were examples of what they could have chosen from their 4K library instead of the catalogs they went with.

Here is a simulated example of upscaling the TAM discs for 2160p display. Who knows what resizers the TVs actually use, but it's some sort of starting point.

Bilinear:


Spline36:
post #350 of 824
Would like to see a 4K of HOFD....it certainly deserves it.
post #351 of 824
So, it looks like if I want a Sony Blu-ray title, I'll have to wait to see if it will be selected from on high for this "Mastered In 4k" BD premium line...

It's not like they'll put this kind of effort into all their releases from now on... as they should.

Hollywood, as always, you astound me. rolleyes.gif

If I'm reading these new posts correctly, these are encoded with x.v.YCC information?
Edited by Dan Hitchman - 5/18/13 at 1:09pm
post #352 of 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Would like to see a 4K of HOFD....it certainly deserves it.

I'd rather have Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and it better come with the original theatrical subtitles this time!!! CTHD was not a very good transfer.
post #353 of 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post

No one has said that Bridge on the River Kwai or the other titles I bolded are coming out in re-releases. Those were examples of what they could have chosen from their 4K library instead of the catalogs they went with.

Here is a simulated example of upscaling the TAM discs for 2160p display. Who knows what resizers the TVs actually use, but it's some sort of starting point.

Bilinear:
http://www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/209891/width/200/height/400 http://www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/209892/width/200/height/400

Spline36:
http://www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/209893/width/200/height/400 http://www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/209894/width/200/height/400
Nice test. Spline36 got my vote.

It also expose the ridiculousness of it all when we know that the original camera files was 5120 (h) x 2700 (v) RAW (if they used the full sensor) each from two parallel cameras.
post #354 of 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post

"Not that many films have gone through this particular process and [Taxi Driver] is only the third one for us, after Dr. Strangelove and The Bridge on the River Kwai, though others are already in the works. By process, I mean a full 4K workflow with no downrezing. Especially scanning at 4K, it preserves the essential resolution of the 35mm negative." - Grover Crisp, March 2011 via The Digital Bits

Obviously they don't want to release all of the good movies at once and be left with nothing but crap for the following months of "Mastered in 4K" releases. These are the 10 titles that are bundled with their TVs and the MP-X1 4K Media Player:

• The Amazing Spiderman
• Total Recall (2012)
• The Karate Kid (2010)
• Battle Los Angeles
• The Other Guys
• Taxi Driver
Salt
Bad Teacher
That’s My Boy
The Bridge on the River Kwai

In bold are what we haven't gotten in this Blu-ray series yet.

After some further reading, it seems that xvYCC may use not only the 1-15 and 241-254 Cb/Cr values but also the combinations within 16-240 that result in "negative" RGB colors for certain Y' values. I'm trying to wrap my head around how I might find some frames utilizing these colors.

I'll definitely get Salt because the current disc I can see some banding in dark areas. Why Bad Teacher and That's My Boy is a question mark for me. I'd rather get The Fifth Element and Charlie's Angels wink.gif
post #355 of 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

I'd rather have Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and it better come with the original theatrical subtitles this time!!! CTHD was not a very good transfer.
I don't recall CTHD as having a bad transfer...I better go back and check.

Another from the genre desperately in need is Hero.
Oh wait, that's Miramax....

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Why Bad Teacher and That's My Boy is a question mark for me.
And a GOOD question at that....
post #356 of 824
CTHD have a lot of macroblocking during fast motion especially visile on a projection system.
post #357 of 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

I'll definitely get Salt because the current disc I can see some banding in dark areas. Why Bad Teacher and That's My Boy is a question mark for me. I'd rather get The Fifth Element and Charlie's Angels wink.gif

Fifth Element biggrin.gifcool.gif
post #358 of 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

I'd rather have Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and it better come with the original theatrical subtitles this time!!! CTHD was not a very good transfer.
Yes. The only way to currently deal with the subtitle situation is to rip the BD and re-author with the subtitle track from the first DVD release. That's what I had to do.
post #359 of 824
Bridge on the River Kwai is an incredibly odd release to associate with a premium picture format. The transfer is wonderfully faithful and accurate to the original film elements but resolvable detail rarely exceeds 720p levels. The faded colors aren't helping anything either.
post #360 of 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

To me and many others (especially who inhabit forums like this) a better image for a movie we love is never "pointless."

Sure I'd love real 4K versions of these films, but I'll take any better version when I can. Just as I appreciate any better, even if modest, upgrade in quality when I buy a new piece of gear.

Amen.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › AVS Can't-Wait Special—"Mastered in 4K" Blu-Ray Releases