or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNXXF7100 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung UNXXF7100 Owners Thread - Page 61

post #1801 of 4991
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh26 View Post

I wasn't try to say the TV now needs re-calibration. The Contrast setting when calibrated falls into the same setting it was before the update. The change that occured is that I was getting a very slight pinkish tinge in Standard Mode in my upper grays to bright white at a calibrated setting of 97. To correct this, & as a compromise, I turned the Contrast down until the pinkish tinge disappeared. That occured at a setting of 89 which is actually below the calibrated value for my TV. After firmware ver 1108, I can now turn up the Contrast to fall into calibration at 97 without any pinkish tinge messing up the light grays and the bright whites. The results after the 1108 update give me the ability to be fully calibrated in Standard Mode with Standard Color Temp settings AND NO pinkish tinge for the first time since I got the TV. I guess what I'm trying to say is the positive change is not that the TV acheives a higher contrast level, just that you now can set the contrast to the highest calibration level without introducing this performance error. ALSO... This change did not affect the Movie Mode since the Contrast has always been at 100 without creating that very slight pinkist tinge issue that occured in Standard Mode (at least on my TV).
Good explanation. Thank you.
post #1802 of 4991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch Five View Post

Can anyone confirm if the new 1108 update changes picture calibration settings? I just had my 7100 professionally calibrated, so I want to make sure I don't need to re-calibrate it.
Welcome to AVS Forum and congratulations on your first post. You will find your answer in post # 1785. Probably a good idea to read the full thread where you will likely find answers to many of your questions before you even ask them.
post #1803 of 4991
Quote:
Originally Posted by emileg View Post

Welcome to AVS Forum and congratulations on your first post. You will find your answer in post # 1785. Probably a good idea to read the full thread where you will likely find answers to many of your questions before you even ask them.

Emile while I applaud you welcoming new members, suggesting they read 60 pages in a thread before posting is a but much don't you think? Maybe, say, the last few pages (and the first, as OPs often collate updated info in the first few posts)?
post #1804 of 4991
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstrasz View Post

PC Mode users! So I was mucking around tonight trying to get a good picture going for my HTPC which I use almost entirely for gaming. I have been playing with Input 4 renamed to PC as well as trying it on Input 2 in Game Mode. I'm not sure what's the best picture - kind of what's the least' artificial' looking. Wondering if anyone has tips? Have several questions.

- Read on forums that PC Mode doesn't output 0-255 even when selected, since the Nvidia Control panel only applies it for the Video. Came across a registry hack but haven't messed with that yet. I tried compensating for blacks with using Low Dark adjustment (forget the setting name) but that's only available in I think the Standard mode on PC.

- Speaking of...Entertain and Standard being the only 2 settings in PC mode, which is better? Entertain seemed more vibrant, but I don't know how much I'm losing in terms of color accuracy. (For what it's worth I always end up on Warm 1 in other settings, even though I know this isn't the most accurate, it seems more accurate to my eye).

- Game mode seemed too harsh. Jaggies and colors felt way too overblown. I tried messing with the contrast/backlighting but didn't have enough time tonight. Although I heard Game Mode is more accurate?

- Nvidia Control Panel's setting of RGB vs the other setting (YcBcr?) - which of these is better to choose?

- Do you guys leave sharpness at 50 (which I understand is the equivalent of 0 at other modes)? Or do you take it down notch. Wonder if that was contributing to some jaggies/edge play more than usual.

Kind of feel defeated but it's 4 am lol.

madvr comes with a little tool that can adjust the nvidia HDMI output ranges with a click.

Entertain is terrible, I wouldn't even consider it.

I'm not aware of any reason to output YCbCr 444 instead of RGB.

For Game Mode, Sharpness=0 is no sharpening; for PC Mode, Sharpness=50 is no sharpening.

PC Mode displays the RGB color input without lossy conversion through YCbCr 4:2:2 for processing (we discussed with some test patterns a ways back). So the color is more precise, but not necessarily more accurate (that determination requires a baseline to compare against). PC Mode is significantly less saturated than other modes by default, but I lack the expertise to speculate whether that is more or less "accurate". Subjectively, I think the more saturated colors look better for console gaming at least.

I actually tried to get used to PC Mode for over a week. One reason is the effect of lossy YCbCr 4:2:2 conversion is actually visible without a microscope in my Win7 HTPC's wallpaper. The other reason is that the F7100 automatically disables PC Mode when switched to 1080p24, which translates to convenient automatic switching for video in my setup -- way nicer than the ridiculous 5 step Game Mode toggle.

Having said that, I recently switched back to Game Mode because it just looks way better to me. Particularly ambient glow kind of effects (from flames etc) were lost almost entirely in PC Mode.

I'm curious how PC Mode will compare when calibrated to the same target as non-PC mode. If that showroomcal guy really does a F7100 calibration we might find out. (I checked his thread a couple days ago, seems like he has been on vacation.)
post #1805 of 4991
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

Emile while I applaud you welcoming new members, suggesting they read 60 pages in a thread before posting is a but much don't you think? Maybe, say, the last few pages (and the first, as OPs often collate updated info in the first few posts)?
Valid point. Thank you. I guess I was reacting to the fact that the question was answered just seven posts before in response to my exact same question.
post #1806 of 4991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Maestro View Post

Chromecasting and the 7100.
However, the 'casting' from the browser tabs on my laptop did not see the 7100, only the dongle. Maybe that will change.

Anyone else have experience with this?




I could use the Netflix and YouTube apps to tell the tv what to play before chromecasting became a thing. It worked on my es6100 and my f6300 a couple weeks ago also.

The mobile apps and the tv apps work together to let you stream what you select to your tv. Chromecast dongle has utilized this function and the only thing it has added is the chrome tab casting, which is still in beta. So far it's proprietary but who knows maybe future smart tv's will have this feature built in after liscening it from google.
post #1807 of 4991
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by willywonkaisrsh View Post

Samsung has officially updated the firmware notice to reflect version 1108.0 on their website under the support page for the F7100. As usual, it's complete vague, but here it is:

1.This firmware is for TV Model(s): LED F5500/F6300/F6350/F6400/F6800/F7050/F7100/F7150, PDP F5500
2.The version is 1108.0
3.This firmware update will improve the following:

- Solves Network Connection Issue with Wireless Router.

- Improves Picture Quality.

- Solves the issue Screen Mirroring does not work.

- Solves the issue Digital Clean View does not work correctly.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/UN60F7100AFXZA


Ha, Ha, Ha the joke's on us. tongue.gif

That the exact same notes that was on fw. ver. 1105.
post #1808 of 4991
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstrasz View Post

- Read on forums that PC Mode doesn't output 0-255 even when selected, since the Nvidia Control panel only applies it for the Video. Came across a registry hack but haven't messed with that yet. I tried compensating for blacks with using Low Dark adjustment (forget the setting name) but that's only available in I think the Standard mode on PC.

- Nvidia Control Panel's setting of RGB vs the other setting (YcBcr?) - which of these is better to choose?

- Do you guys leave sharpness at 50 (which I understand is the equivalent of 0 at other modes)? Or do you take it down notch. Wonder if that was contributing to some jaggies/edge play more than usual.

Kind of feel defeated but it's 4 am lol.

HDMI Black level Normal is best for RGB 0-255.

Samsung has the HDMI Black levels labeled backward as Low is for YCbCr 16-235.

I use Sharpness at 20 for everything.
post #1809 of 4991
Thread Starter 
The F8000 thread is reporting a new fw. ver. 1109....

Is there also another new firmware version for the F7100?

My HDTV is currently disconnected from the web.
post #1810 of 4991
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

The F8000 thread is reporting a new fw. ver. 1109....

Is there also another new firmware version for the F7100?

My HDTV is currently disconnected from the web.
I just checked the on-line live TV update around 15 minutes ago and did not get that one yet. Who knows? It seemed to me, the F8000 was a version behind the F7100. Now out of the blue, it's one up on us? eek.gif
post #1811 of 4991
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadthree024 View Post

For those who were asking about the 65" I initially had an AH01 panel that was very nice with the exception of pretty noticeable banding on programming with a primarily green background (football, golf, etc.) I exchanged through Amazon, received a TH02 panel, and the banding is pretty much nonexistent for an led tv of this size. Like I said in my original post, I don't know if the different panel type caused the improvement, but I'm definitely satisfied with the set.

I do have a question, when initially turning on the TV this morning I noticed a sharp light against a dark background in the bottom left corner. After about a minute or two it calmed down and went away. I turned the tv off and on again and it wasn't there. After leaving the set off for about an hour and a half it did the same thing and disappeared within a minute or two. Is this normal, and just a result of the set being turned on after being off for a while?


I have the same for me too Sir, I think its normal, I have Cinema Black on Medium and noticed it goes away when watching movies playing games etc... I read that it improves the black bars in the bottom and top and gives it its true black color to the picture rather than washed out. Search Samsung Cinema Black and it explains how it works. Hope this helps
post #1812 of 4991
how do I lessen the effect of the extreme dimming on Game Mode? it's the one thing that most keeps me on PC mode
post #1813 of 4991
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh26 View Post

I just checked the on-line live TV update around 15 minutes ago and did not get that one yet. Who knows? It seemed to me, the F8000 was a version behind the F7100. Now out of the blue, it's one up on us? eek.gif

Thanks for checking...maybe 1108 is good enough to stay.
post #1814 of 4991
Wow! I got this mysterious error message tonight when turning on the TV, which receives a feed from my Yamaha receiver. It says:

Alert
Connection Error

Your HDTV does not support HDCP.
Please use the YPrPb component connection to watch TV.

I have 1108 installed, but had no problems before tonight.

However, apparently the problem occurs when watching the Cablevision DVR. When I switch on Apple TV through the same receiver, I have no problem.

I just turned the DVR off and on, which I did twice before, and the signal came back on. I suspect the problem was with the DVR and not the TV. Scary close call.
post #1815 of 4991
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabih786 View Post

I could use the Netflix and YouTube apps to tell the tv what to play before chromecasting became a thing. It worked on my es6100 and my f6300 a couple weeks ago also.

The mobile apps and the tv apps work together to let you stream what you select to your tv. Chromecast dongle has utilized this function and the only thing it has added is the chrome tab casting, which is still in beta. So far it's proprietary but who knows maybe future smart tv's will have this feature built in after liscening it from google.

I figured that may be the case but I had never tried it out before the apps were updated on my phone. Thanks.
post #1816 of 4991
Quote:
Originally Posted by theP0PE View Post

how do I lessen the effect of the extreme dimming on Game Mode? it's the one thing that most keeps me on PC mode

I turned up the brightness when I am gaming to around 60 and it defeated the extrememe dimming. Got the tip from someone on here, can't remember who. However, it has made all the difference in the world!
post #1817 of 4991
Quote:
Originally Posted by theP0PE View Post

how do I lessen the effect of the extreme dimming on Game Mode? it's the one thing that most keeps me on PC mode
Set Brightness to 53 and then under advanced, whitebalance R/G/B-Offset to 18.
(We really need a FAQ and links in the first post...)
post #1818 of 4991
I think I actually kind of prefer the more subdued color and saturation on PC Mode. it looks, I don't know, calm and natural. Game Mode seems to have too much pop for my taste I guess
post #1819 of 4991
Just as a warning... I recommend handling this TV as little as possible, and particular would not follow Samsung's directions to lay the set horizontally for stand attachment.

I've had a 55F7100 for months with a more or less perfect screen (other than the pencil lines I complain about). No clouding, flashlighting, banding or DSE. However, it leans so I finally decided to reattach the stand the way Samsung recommends. I very gently moved the set and laid it down, very gently delt with the stand etc. Note that despite the gentleness, you can feel the stresses on the frame as it's turned sideways.

After this little activity, there is now faint but distinctive horizontal banding/DSE on much of the screen. It's not the worst thing I've seen on a TV, but I know it was not there before -- the only reason I've hung on to this this panel was due to the previous crystal clarity. My take is that these displays are dangerously fragile; do not touch it once your return period is over! (And pray you never have to move it years from now...)

Fortunately I took this risk while already on the fence about returning the set (one more week of Costco's 90 days -- great place to buy). I haven't decided if I will try one more time to get a F7100 without pencil lines...

(Oh, and the tv still sits crooked; it actually leans to the left even more now. Horrible stand design.)
post #1820 of 4991
Quote:
Originally Posted by emileg View Post

Valid point. Thank you. I guess I was reacting to the fact that the question was answered just seven posts before in response to my exact same question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurifan View Post

Just as a warning... I recommend handling this TV as little as possible, and particular would not follow Samsung's directions to lay the set horizontally for stand attachment.

I've had a 55F7100 for months with a more or less perfect screen (other than the pencil lines I complain about). No clouding, flashlighting, banding or DSE. However, it leans so I finally decided to reattach the stand the way Samsung recommends. I very gently moved the set and laid it down, very gently delt with the stand etc. Note that despite the gentleness, you can feel the stresses on the frame as it's turned sideways.

After this little activity, there is now faint but distinctive horizontal banding/DSE on much of the screen. It's not the worst thing I've seen on a TV, but I know it was not there before -- the only reason I've hung on to this this panel was due to the previous crystal clarity. My take is that these displays are dangerously fragile; do not touch it once your return period is over! (And pray you never have to move it years from now...)

Fortunately I took this risk while already on the fence about returning the set (one more week of Costco's 90 days -- great place to buy). I haven't decided if I will try one more time to get a F7100 without pencil lines...

(Oh, and the tv still sits crooked; it actually leans to the left even more now. Horrible stand design.)
Is the banding always visible or is it minor and only during certain lighting during a scene?
post #1821 of 4991
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix123 View Post

Is the banding always visible or is it minor and only during certain lighting during a scene?

It's visible on uniformish mid-dark colors during smooth vertical panning but, knowing where to look, I can spot some of the non-uniformity on solid test patterns. Without vertical motion, you'd never notice.
post #1822 of 4991
Quote:
Originally Posted by rurifan View Post

It's visible on uniformish mid-dark colors during smooth vertical panning but, knowing where to look, I can spot some of the non-uniformity on solid test patterns. Without vertical motion, you'd never notice.
Mine is visible also with those same conditions. Only difference is its noticeable when panning up and down.
post #1823 of 4991
Was debating a replacement but other than the banding that's only visible for a second on certain movies the tv is fine. No clouding or flashlighting. Not sure i want to take the gamble again being out of all the sets I returned , this 55 inch is the best.
post #1824 of 4991
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix123 View Post

Was debating a replacement but other than the banding that's only visible for a second on certain movies the tv is fine. No clouding or flashlighting. Not sure i want to take the gamble again being out of all the sets I returned , this 55 inch is the best.

Buy the alternate and compare before returning the first one. (I can understand being sick of the process though.)

Personally I find banding/DSE one of the most distracting display issues because it catches your eye unexpecedly during motion. I watch a lot of anime though, which is particularly prone to panning scenes.
post #1825 of 4991
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

HDMI Black level Normal is best for RGB 0-255.

Samsung has the HDMI Black levels labeled backward as Low is for YCbCr 16-235.

I use Sharpness at 20 for everything.

I think they call it Low as is lower or narrower range. In some devices it's similarly called Limited.
post #1826 of 4991
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

Ha, Ha, Ha the joke's on us. tongue.gif
That the exact same notes that was on fw. ver. 1105.
Well I hate to say this but it looks like Version 1108 has Smart Hub bugs that 1105 didn't. The Smart Hub is Much slower over-all and much more buggy. My TV has powered Off twice while messing with the Samsung Installed Apps. Once I was trying to do a uninstall and once I was just trying to use a newly installed App. I also recently look at my Recommendations and they weren't functional. I discovered the update reset a few of my agreed licensing stuff that you do when the TV is first set up out of the box. That sucked so I did a smart hub reset and reconfigured it but it still had issues. The Recommendations were now OK though. Well I did break my #1 rule with doing a firmware update, I didn't do a factory Reset. Really this should be required but it appears Samsung has done "Once Again". It's funny though this time because the picture portion of the updated software seems very good. All of my problems after the update seem Smart Hub/Browser related. SO.... I did the dredded frickin Factory Reset/re-programming thing for the LAST (Yeah right) time. All seems back to normal for the most part. The Browser still seems a bit sluggish at times but all the Apps are OK now. I did even after the Factory Reset have a few Un-desired Apps that were installed and very slowly launching but were listed as "Free" and ready for download instead of "Installed". In each case, I chose to reinstall it and then uninstall it. Now the Apps listed are accurately shown on my TV as they did before the update messed them up.
post #1827 of 4991
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh26 View Post

Well I hate to say this but it looks like Version 1108 has Smart Hub bugs that 1105 didn't. The Smart Hub is Much slower over-all and much more buggy. My TV has powered Off twice while messing with the Samsung Installed Apps.

SO.... I did the dredded frickin Factory Reset/re-programming thing for the LAST (Yeah right) time. All seems back to normal for the most part. The Browser still seems a bit sluggish at times but all the Apps are OK now.

Sorry to hear that...I hardly ever use the Smart Hub so I haven't noticed any issues.

A firmware power glitch again....thank goodness for the Factory Reset.
post #1828 of 4991
I just received my 60" F7100 two days ago. It sits level, and I have no unacceptable issues with flashlighting, clouding, or PQ. Actually the PQ on medium to bright scenes are incredible. I returned the LG LA7400 because there were 3 golf balls flying through the air when watching golf. The only issue I have with the F7100 is detail loss/pixellation on dark scenes. I think this may be called blooming but am not sure. My living room is very dark and it is more noticeable when all the lights are out. I have played with many of the settings and tried several different calibrations I have found online. How can I fix this dark scene PQ? I have searched this thread and there is not much on blooming. I hope there is a fix because my wife really dislikes this issue even though the rest is great.
post #1829 of 4991
Can anyone explain why I see horizontal banding during up and down panning in films only but can't reproduce it during banding tests from YouTube or while playing on my Xbox 360? It's not my new hdmi cables and it showed up on both ps3 blu ray and Netflix on 360.
post #1830 of 4991
Xbox 360 Gold members
If you didn't know by now someone created a thread on the free Xbox games with gold.
Started at E3, for Xbox gold members you 2 free older games a month until end of the year, after that they didn't say if it was gonna continue.
Best thing is you don't need the disc to play. (Finally Xbox Gold paying off)
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1479642/xbox-live-games-with-gold
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNXXF7100 Owners Thread