or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNXXF7100 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung UNXXF7100 Owners Thread - Page 104

post #3091 of 4991
So looks like the CNET review was controversial.Just wanted to share the following video where Samsung explains their Microdimming differences b/w 7100 vs7500 vs 8000 .The sound is not great so you'll have to focus but it should clarify some concepts regarding Micro dimming.!! ENJOY..

link:biggrin.gifhttp://youtu.be/mKa6R8MMQ0g
post #3092 of 4991

Completely agree.  Saw the vizio m-series in two different stores and really there was no comparison.  Don't know why cnet is rating the vizio so high.  Here I believe is a more accurate review of the Samsung f-series: http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/samsung-lcd-tv/samsung-un60f7100.html  I'll be on-line at midnight Thanksgiving buying this tv from amazon.  No sales tax and 24 months interest free using amazon store card.  Hoping there's a price drop...been waiting a month and a half to get this tv.

post #3093 of 4991
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcphcf73 View Post

No one has a 75" f7100? I was hoping for some feedback since the reviews of this size are tough to come by.

Thanks again in advance.

I have had my 75F7100 for about a month. It has a TH01 panel (Samsung) and I must have won the panel lottery because it has no clouding or flashing. I have progresed up to FW 1116 running settings between pirates Cove and Teqzen. I primarly watch HD cable and Blu Rays and the picture is absolutly great - near perfect. Still learning about the set but for my needs the 75" is perfect. I think you would really enjoy the 75".
post #3094 of 4991

just purchased a UN60F7100, the pedestal stand is too large for the cabinet i want to set it on. can you change out the wide legged pedestal to a smaller one? if so, please provide a link or # of recommended part. thanks.

post #3095 of 4991
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4top455 View Post

So looks like the CNET review was controversial.Just wanted to share the following video where Samsung explains their Microdimming differences b/w 7100 vs7500 vs 8000 .The sound is not great so you'll have to focus but it should clarify some concepts regarding Micro dimming.!! ENJOY..

link:biggrin.gifhttp://youtu.be/mKa6R8MMQ0g
Thank you for the link. The salesman states that the 7100 series has 288 zones of micro-dimming. I don't know if this is really true just because he says so. Is each zone independent from the other? If that were the case, why would one bright area of the screen be darkened when most of the rest of the picture is dark? You would think that micro-dimming would allow for that one or two zones to remain bright while the others were dark. Nevertheless, firmware version 1116, seems to have lessened the impact of many dark zones on the remaining bright ones, but the unwanted darkening is still noticeable.
post #3096 of 4991
Quote:
Originally Posted by harveybirdman15 View Post

Couldn't agree more. I was in Best Buy comparing these TVs literally hours before reading this review and there was no doubt the F7100 looked much better than the Vizio M-series. I really want to love the Vizio given its affordability, and while viewing two uncalibrated sets in a brightly-lit store environment doesn't provide the fairest comparison, the disparity was too great for me to believe that calibration alone could make up the difference.

My feelings exactly. I wanted to like the Vizio. I had read good things about it, and it was so affordable. I could have a 70" Vizio for about the same cost as the 65" F7100. The Vizio's picture just didn't do it for me, though.
post #3097 of 4991
Quote:
Originally Posted by srg914 View Post

Completely agree.  Saw the vizio m-series in two different stores and really there was no comparison.  Don't know why cnet is rating the vizio so high.  Here I believe is a more accurate review of the Samsung f-series: http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/samsung-lcd-tv/samsung-un60f7100.html  I'll be on-line at midnight Thanksgiving buying this tv from amazon.  No sales tax and 24 months interest free using amazon store card.  Hoping there's a price drop...been waiting a month and a half to get this tv.

You're kidding right? One review is based upon actually having the TV on hand for testing while the other one is not. Take note of how the pictures from the LCD Buying Guide F7100 review are those of the F8000 and its remote. What's even more egregious is their video review of the F7500 where Rachael is obviously standing next to a F8000.

I've had 3 Vizio M series TVs and returned all 3 due to light bleed issues. The Vizio's smart dimming is a joke as it has horrendous blooming. I've read enough user and professional reviews to not even bother with the F7100 as it too has complaints of light bleeding and uniformity issues. I'm just looking for a secondary TV for my bedroom and I'm not setting the bar very high but apparently if I want a LED without deal kicker PQ issues I need to get at least a Sony W900 or F8000.

Apparently I’m part of an endangered species with Panasonic’s departure from plasma displays leaving the market with just a single, as in one, competitive plasma model. Gosh, I hope the technology from the F8500 trickles down to a 7 series plasma next year as I tried and tried to like LED panels and I just can’t do it. And OLEDs are a ways off yet from becoming affordable. Hopefully elaborate dimming schemes will be in more affordable models next year.
post #3098 of 4991

Man I still can't decide, keep the Elite 60" that I just managed to get for under $1900 OTD or pick up a 65 inch Samsung 7100 during Black Friday from Amazon.

post #3099 of 4991

To get into game mode do you really have to go 3 options deep in the menu, or can you just use HDMI 4, does that automaticly put that device in game mode?

post #3100 of 4991
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post

You're kidding right? One review is based upon actually having the TV on hand for testing while the other one is not. Take note of how the pictures from the LCD Buying Guide F7100 review are those of the F8000 and its remote. What's even more egregious is their video review of the F7500 where Rachael is obviously standing next to a F8000.

I've had 3 Vizio M series TVs and returned all 3 due to light bleed issues. The Vizio's smart dimming is a joke as it has horrendous blooming. I've read enough user and professional reviews to not even bother with the F7100 as it too has complaints of light bleeding and uniformity issues. I'm just looking for a secondary TV for my bedroom and I'm not setting the bar very high but apparently if I want a LED without deal kicker PQ issues I need to get at least a Sony W900 or F8000.

Apparently I’m part of an endangered species with Panasonic’s departure from plasma displays leaving the market with just a single, as in one, competitive plasma model. Gosh, I hope the technology from the F8500 trickles down to a 7 series plasma next year as I tried and tried to like LED panels and I just can’t do it. And OLEDs are a ways off yet from becoming affordable. Hopefully elaborate dimming schemes will be in more affordable models next year.
I have the 7100 and had zero problems.I did not get a plasma because my room is bright in the daytime.also I have a DVR.i freeze the picture a lot I do not want to have a burn in problem.the 7100 I own how's the best picture I've ever seen and I have two other Samsung TVs.I think the majority all people that own this TV are happy campers
post #3101 of 4991
Quote:
Originally Posted by agelessphotog View Post

To get into game mode do you really have to go 3 options deep in the menu, or can you just use HDMI 4, does that automaticly put that device in game mode?

This is literally my only main annoyance with this TV since I bought it months ago.
post #3102 of 4991
I picked up the ps4 at midnight last nite and I must say the games look AMAZING on my 60 inch f7100 omg
post #3103 of 4991
Yeah, I hear you about worrying about image retention. I love my Sammy E7000 plasma but I don’t dare freeze the picture for any length of time. Hence, my reason for trying to like LEDs. For me, image retention issues are minuscule compared to the light bleeding issues I’ve had with the Samsung LED D7000 and more recently with the Vizio M series.
post #3104 of 4991
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmane View Post

I picked up the ps4 at midnight last nite and I must say the games look AMAZING on my 60 inch f7100 omg

Mine (PS4) gets delivered Tuesday. How's the lag on your 60"? I'm wanting to get a 75" and can't decide between the f7100 or f8000.
post #3105 of 4991
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcphcf73 View Post

Mine (PS4) gets delivered Tuesday. How's the lag on your 60"? I'm wanting to get a 75" and can't decide between the f7100 or f8000.
the lag is manageable and I'm not even playing on game mode but with game mode turned on its very minimal. Cuz I play a lot of fps battlefield preferably and its butter smooth on the ps4 hit detection seems up to par so far Lol
post #3106 of 4991
After owning this tv for 8 months and not liking the viewing angle drop off, I have settled on the setting in Standard mode for firmware 1116 posted below, use for all HDMI inputs.
Makes the viewing angle drop off minimal. (My theory is that brightness @ 53 gets the backlight from the sides to fill screen since one of the layers are little pyramid shaped grids for focusing light).

I also don't use custom 10 point white balance since ppl say impossible to calibrate in standard mode. Tried using buzz's and pirate's custom 10 point white balance but reds and blues way to extreme. Auto and native color space work pretty well in standard mode for me.

It may take a little time for your eyes to adjust to the increased brightness, after using pirate's settings, but give it a shot, for a week enjoy!
Picture Mode: Standard
Backlight: 12
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 53
Sharp: 20
Color: 50
Tint (G/R): 50/50
Picture Size: 16:9
[3D]
3D Perspective: 0
Depth: 5
L/R Change: L/R Image
3D -> 2D: Off
3D Light Control: High
[Advanced Settings]
Dynamic Contrast: Low
Black Tone: Off
Flesh Tone: 0
RGB Only Mode: Off
[Color Space] Auto (Greens pop, Skins tones get pale / Native (Greens bluish/Skin tones reddish)
White Balance]
R-Offset 14, G-Offset 14, B-Offset 14, R-Gain 25, G-Gain 25, B-Gain 25 (set offset lower for taste but make values equal or you may get unwanted micro dimming)
Gamma: 0
Expert Pattern: Off

[Picture Options]
Color Tone: Standard
Dig Clean View: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI Black Level: Low
Film Mode: Auto 1
Auto Motion Plus: Clear
Cinema Black: Off
Apply Picture Source: Current Source
----
[System]
[Eco Solution]
Energy Savings: Off
Eco Sensor: 10
Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC): Off
[General]
Game Mode: Off
post #3107 of 4991
Black Friday ad is out for Best Buy and hhgregg.

55" will cost $1,299
60" will cost $1,599

It appears my search for a new TV is over.
post #3108 of 4991

Thanks for the heads up...I'm assuming amazon will have the same price drop.  60 inch will have a new home soon!

post #3109 of 4991

Well shoot, had the 65" delivered this morning and we couldn't get a picture at all (and inconsistent audio).  Thank God for Amazon/White glove delivery...we spent about 45min on it, talked with customer service, etc.  Ended up refusing and will reschedule delivery. 

 

Anyone else have these issues?  Menu should come up first thing right?  The TV did look nice all set up...I guess Man of Steel blu-ray will have to wait.. :(

post #3110 of 4991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketchkid79 View Post

Well shoot, had the 65" delivered this morning and we couldn't get a picture at all (and inconsistent audio).  Thank God for Amazon/White glove delivery...we spent about 45min on it, talked with customer service, etc.  Ended up refusing and will reschedule delivery. 

Anyone else have these issues?  Menu should come up first thing right?  The TV did look nice all set up...I guess Man of Steel blu-ray will have to wait.. frown.gif
You should have got a Samsung Splash Screen come up and then a series of set-up instructions during the First Power On of a New Samsung Smart TV. After this step is completed, this Splash Screen won't re-appear during power up unless you perform a Factory Reset (if ever needed). Sounds like an exchange was necessary. Good luck with the next one. This is not a very common issue so you should be good to go soon.
post #3111 of 4991

Thanks.  I have the new order showing on Amazon...guess that means I'd qualify for a price match if the 65" drops during BF. :)

 

Question - does the red power light stay on when the tv is on, or is that off?  With no video and minimal audio, it was hard for us to tell when it was actually on/off, lol.

post #3112 of 4991

Amazon will not price match on prices on black Friday, 11/29/13.  The next day they will according to what they told me.  If someone knows otherwise, please post.  thanks

post #3113 of 4991

Samsung has posted their black Friday prices which go into effect on 11/24/13...http://www.samsung.com/us/blackfriday  If amazon hasn't lowered their price by then, they should price match.

post #3114 of 4991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketchkid79 View Post

Thanks.  I have the new order showing on Amazon...guess that means I'd qualify for a price match if the 65" drops during BF. smile.gif

Question - does the red power light stay on when the tv is on, or is that off?  With no video and minimal audio, it was hard for us to tell when it was actually on/off, lol.
The red light in the lower right hand corner is on only when the TV is off (Standby). If you see no red light, then the TV is on. Too bad the set lacks an on light.
post #3115 of 4991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketchkid79 View Post

Question - does the red power light stay on when the tv is on, or is that off?  With no video and minimal audio, it was hard for us to tell when it was actually on/off, lol.

I am sitting looking at our 65F7100. The red light in the lower right corner is ON when the tv is turned OFF. The light goes off when you power on the television. Sorry you got a bum set, when you get a good one you will be pleased. smile.gif

David
post #3116 of 4991
Quote:
Originally Posted by teqzen View Post

After owning this tv for 8 months and not liking the viewing angle drop off, I have settled on the setting in Standard mode for firmware 1116 posted below, use for all HDMI inputs.
Makes the viewing angle drop off minimal. (My theory is that brightness @ 53 gets the backlight from the sides to fill screen since one of the layers are little pyramid shaped grids for focusing light).

I also don't use custom 10 point white balance since ppl say impossible to calibrate in standard mode. Tried using buzz's and pirate's custom 10 point white balance but reds and blues way to extreme. Auto and native color space work pretty well in standard mode for me.

It may take a little time for your eyes to adjust to the increased brightness, after using pirate's settings, but give it a shot, for a week enjoy!
Picture Mode: Standard
Backlight: 12
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 53
Sharp: 20
Color: 50
Tint (G/R): 50/50
Picture Size: 16:9
[3D]
3D Perspective: 0
Depth: 5
L/R Change: L/R Image
3D -> 2D: Off
3D Light Control: High
[Advanced Settings]
Dynamic Contrast: Low
Black Tone: Off
Flesh Tone: 0
RGB Only Mode: Off
[Color Space] Auto (Greens pop, Skins tones get pale / Native (Greens bluish/Skin tones reddish)
White Balance]
R-Offset 14, G-Offset 14, B-Offset 14, R-Gain 25, G-Gain 25, B-Gain 25 (set offset lower for taste but make values equal or you may get unwanted micro dimming)
Gamma: 0
Expert Pattern: Off

[Picture Options]
Color Tone: Standard
Dig Clean View: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI Black Level: Low
Film Mode: Auto 1
Auto Motion Plus: Clear
Cinema Black: Off
Apply Picture Source: Current Source
----
[System]
[Eco Solution]
Energy Savings: Off
Eco Sensor: 10
Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC): Off
[General]
Game Mode: Off


Was using your original standard settings and noticed that this setting is quite nice compared to the original one you posted a while back. One thing I noticed is that when I go from color space custom to auto, the skin tone changed from slight greenish tint to redish which I like. But when I changed the offset from 25 to 14, skin tone seems a little redish. What do you suggest?
post #3117 of 4991
Quote:
Originally Posted by low_ball_88 View Post

Was using your original standard settings and noticed that this setting is quite nice compared to the original one you posted a while back. One thing I noticed is that when I go from color space custom to auto, the skin tone changed from slight greenish tint to redish which I like. But when I changed the offset from 25 to 14, skin tone seems a little redish. What do you suggest?

1st off I'm glad you like the settings.
2nd did your viewing angle drop off get better with these settings?

Auto color space makes skin tone greenish peach and native makes it redish.
It could be i have a samsung 55" panel, could be different with sharp panels.

1st try setting Native color space if you like fleshtones reddish.
If that don't get result you want adjust Flesh Tone lower until skin look pleasing.
If above don't get what you like turn down R-Gain in 5-10 incremenment until u get reds in good range.

I welcome any suggestions to 10 point white balance in standard mode, I rather have colors as accurate as possible but don't own the gear to try accurate calibration.
Edited by teqzen - 11/16/13 at 11:46pm
post #3118 of 4991
Quote:
Originally Posted by teqzen View Post

1st off I'm glad you like the settings.
2nd did your viewing angle drop off get better with these settings?

Auto color space makes skin tone greenish peach and native makes it redish.
It could be i have a samsung 55" panel, could be different with sharp panels.

1st try setting Native color space if you like fleshtones reddish.
If that don't get result you want adjust Flesh Tone lower until skin look pleasing.
If above don't get what you like turn down R-Gain in 5-10 incremenment until u get reds in good range.

I welcome any suggestions to 10 point white balance in standard mode, I rather have colors as accurate as possible but don't own the gear to try accurate calibration.
Unfortunetely, there is no 10 point white balance ajustment avalible in Standard Mode. Just the 2 point Offset & Gains. I really wish Samsung would have included that adjustment for that mode.
post #3119 of 4991

I am to either get a 75" 7100 or possibly the 75" 6400 and wanted to see what 7100 owners liked better about the 7100 than the 6400. I sit about 14' away and just watch sports and movies (no internet, no gaming). Any thoughts?

post #3120 of 4991
I'm planning on getting a Vizio 5.1 surround sound bar to pair with this TV, and I have a couple of questions:

1) can the smart remote be programmed to control the Vizio sound bar? (or any sound bar for that matter) I just want to be able to control the volume on the sound bar and toggle its power.

2) Does the F7100 pass DD 5.1 sound through its optical out? or any of its audio outputs? (I assume there's more than one).


I'm pretty sure I've read on here that the TV will pass 5.1 via the optical out for smart hub content, but not content delivered via an HDMI input. I searched the thread and someone else had more or less the same question but I never found an answer. Would really appreciate it if someone could help!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNXXF7100 Owners Thread