or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNXXF7100 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung UNXXF7100 Owners Thread - Page 155

post #4621 of 5012
Just chiming in again for many still having "calibration" challenges. My opinion, I find that the only true basis for evaluating this set is via Blu ray. And even then, you'll find a certain degree of variation between BD players and personal preferences. That being said, those differences are vastly more narrow than that of broadcast television no matter who your carrier is or what program you are watching. Certain "premier" events like the Olympics for example were outstanding as was also true for the college bowl games. Pretty much everything else was suspect for one reason or another. Another example is the other night I was watching Marvel's Agents of Shield which generally has an ok picture as far as it goes (I'm on DTV). But when the trailer for Captain America Winter Soldier came on the picture was all of a sudden outstanding, dare I say even better than something on HD Net Movies. Once Agents was back on the picture goes back to just being ok. I've experienced this on all channels. My point is that I think it's best to use Blu ray as your barometer and mirror those settings on broadcast input and make adjustments only on a premier event like the upcoming March Madness tournament. Beyond that, everything pretty much comes down to the picture is what it is. Jus my opinion on the matter.
post #4622 of 5012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

Just chiming in again for many still having "calibration" challenges. My opinion, I find that the only true basis for evaluating this set is via Blu ray. And even then, you'll find a certain degree of variation between BD players and personal preferences. That being said, those differences are vastly more narrow than that of broadcast television no matter who your carrier is or what program you are watching. Certain "premier" events like the Olympics for example were outstanding as was also true for the college bowl games. Pretty much everything else was suspect for one reason or another. Another example is the other night I was watching Marvel's Agents of Shield which generally has an ok picture as far as it goes (I'm on DTV). But when the trailer for Captain America Winter Soldier came on the picture was all of a sudden outstanding, dare I say even better than something on HD Net Movies. Once Agents was back on the picture goes back to just being ok. I've experienced this on all channels. My point is that I think it's best to use Blu ray as your barometer and mirror those settings on broadcast input and make adjustments only on a premier event like the upcoming March Madness tournament. Beyond that, everything pretty much comes down to the picture is what it is. Jus my opinion on the matter.
I totally agree
post #4623 of 5012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie1 View Post

I am also getting this problem. The other updates for version 1120 are great. But every time I exit netflix, the source has switched from hdmi2 (directv) to the over the air / tv source. Since I don't have any reception all I get is a fuzzy / no connection screen.

Help! Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this (other than changing the source each time). All other apps function correctly on exit.

Aussie

We'll after a hour and twenty min on the phone, mostly on hold, samsung says they know about this issue and are trying to fix it. It will be released with up coming updates. Should also include volume dropping issue too.
post #4624 of 5012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie1 View Post


We'll after a hour and twenty min on the phone, mostly on hold, samsung says they know about this issue and are trying to fix it. It will be released with up coming updates. Should also include volume dropping issue too.

This sounds promising. I couldn't even get them to acknowledge that the audio drops were their problem.

post #4625 of 5012
got my oppo 103 blu ray player, the picture on my 7100 was decent before but now its MUCH improved!! have a looksie at these awesome pictures, detail/colors/sharpness greatly increased. old blu ray player was a 3 year old phillips. pictures speak for themselves!! my oppo picture settings are as follows, -2 saturation( improves the skin tone problem the samsung tvs have), sharpness is set at +2(in order to get the super processing power sharpness needs to be at least 1 you can instantly see the difference) color enhancement is at 4, could probably go down to 3 but this helps offset lowering the saturation to fix skin tones. I also keep digital noise reduction at LOW, it cleans up the grain alot, and the sharpness from the oppo helps bring back the lost details from turning on DNR. in the first pictures, notice the brick building detail, along with the mailbox detail, incredible.






Edited by ray0414 - 3/8/14 at 9:39pm
post #4626 of 5012
these pictures right here are probably the best examples of the real power of an oppo blu ray player, stunning detail/picture quality improvement. notice improved edges, colors, details. really tapping into the power of this tv, which of course, isnt possible without the oppo upscaling processor. notice the colors, edges of martys hat, looks much better. then look at the detail of the red jacket, the colors just pop and u can see all the detail and depth of the jacket.


Edited by ray0414 - 3/8/14 at 9:41pm
post #4627 of 5012
I hooked my denon x4000 to the7100 the sound is great but it looks like the audio is somehow slightly ahead of the video. Have the blu ray going to the denon with hdmi and then the receiver to the tv with hdmi. Has anyone else seen this? Anyway to correct this because it is driving my wife crazy.
post #4628 of 5012
Is anyone else running a Samsung Blu ray player along with the BD Wise function? I'm just curious of others opinions. Because it was included with my tv deal (along with the keyboard) I haven't even tried my PS3 yet because I'm finding it to be a performing pretty well despite its price point.
post #4629 of 5012
What are the best Auto Motion settings if you want to reduce motion blur, but dont want that soap opera effect?
post #4630 of 5012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimWA View Post

I hooked my denon x4000 to the7100 the sound is great but it looks like the audio is somehow slightly ahead of the video. Have the blu ray going to the denon with hdmi and then the receiver to the tv with hdmi. Has anyone else seen this? Anyway to correct this because it is driving my wife crazy.

I had the same issue with my Pioneer receiver. There should be a way to adjust the HDMI audio delay settings on the receiver to sync it up with the video.
post #4631 of 5012
Hey ray. I have direct tv. Can I still use my direct tv remote for standard tv ? Will the direct tv remote turn on the oppo since it will have to be on at all times If I want the upscale for standard cable. Thanks
post #4632 of 5012
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow ride View Post

Hey ray. I have direct tv. Can I still use my direct tv remote for standard tv ? Will the direct tv remote turn on the oppo since it will have to be on at all times If I want the upscale for standard cable. Thanks

you'll use the oppo remote to turn the oppo on. Right now I have 4 or 5 different remotes lol
post #4633 of 5012

Seems like they put 1120 back on the support page as the latest version, though I'm not sure if you'll be able to "upgrade" back to it if you're already 1121.

 

I guess 1121 was definitely bugged? Hopefully nothing permanent.

post #4634 of 5012
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohmei View Post

Seems like they put 1120 back on the support page as the latest version, though I'm not sure if you'll be able to "upgrade" back to it if you're already 1121.

I guess 1121 was definitely bugged? Hopefully nothing permanent.

A few members had audio problems with fw. ver. 1121.

Others had Netflix and app glitches.

I didn't have either of the issues.
post #4635 of 5012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohmei View Post

Seems like they put 1120 back on the support page as the latest version, though I'm not sure if you'll be able to "upgrade" back to it if you're already 1121.

I guess 1121 was definitely bugged? Hopefully nothing permanent.

Hm, I tried it on a usb drive but the TV says "no valid update found".
(I'm on FW1121.)

Anybody else tried a downgrade? Is this what it normally says?
post #4636 of 5012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post

you'll use the oppo remote to turn the oppo on. Right now I have 4 or 5 different remotes lol

Are there any delays with changing channels etc now that you are running thru the oppo ? I assume not since you run from the oppo out to the cable box. I wonder if I could plug my oppo into my receiver since my receiver comes on with my direct tv box simultaneously . Probably not a good idea with over heating etc. I here ya about the remotes. Wifey poo is getting tired of my remote pile. She finally figured out the direct tv remote and there is no way she would be willing to learn another one.
post #4637 of 5012
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow ride View Post

Are there any delays with changing channels etc now that you are running thru the oppo ? I assume not since you run from the oppo out to the cable box. I wonder if I could plug my oppo into my receiver since my receiver comes on with my direct tv box simultaneously . Probably not a good idea with over heating etc. I here ya about the remotes. Wifey poo is getting tired of my remote pile. She finally figured out the direct tv remote and there is no way she would be willing to learn another one.

thw good news is once u set your oppo settinga youll most likely not use it unless watching a blu ray. And yes the oppo slows down channel changing. But theres a resoultion button on the remote and u can choose "source direct" which turns off all processing and the delay goes back 2 normal. Also a good way 2 flip back and forth 2 see the picture difference and decide which works best.
post #4638 of 5012
Ive been flipping between direct source and 1080p to see the difference. U can leave it on direct source while channel flipping then turn 1080p on when u choose something 2 watch. The resolution button makes this exremely easy . When u choose a resolution though the screen goes black for 2 seconds as processing is turned on or off.
post #4639 of 5012
for anyone interested in the oppo 103's ability to upscale cable, here is a good example from tonights basketball game. you can see the image is crisper and the colors are more solid.

post #4640 of 5012
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow ride View Post

Are there any delays with changing channels etc now that you are running thru the oppo ? I assume not since you run from the oppo out to the cable box. I wonder if I could plug my oppo into my receiver since my receiver comes on with my direct tv box simultaneously . Probably not a good idea with over heating etc. I here ya about the remotes. Wifey poo is getting tired of my remote pile. She finally figured out the direct tv remote and there is no way she would be willing to learn another one.

i just checked my oppo and its nowhere near as warm as my AVR, i think having the legs helps it stay cool too. and i rechecked the channel delay, the only time theres a delay is when u are switching to a different source channel from your current, for example, if your going from a 1080i feed to a 720p feed, there will be a delay because it has to upscale a different feed, if your going from a 1080i channel to another 1080i channel there is no delay.
post #4641 of 5012
more oppo 103 upscale pictures

post #4642 of 5012
I have had my tv for about three weeks and just paid through the nose to get it put up on the wall. My question is this: has anyone noticed any areas of the screen that are lighter than others based on backlighting? I have tried out some members lists of how to calibrate the picture and most keep the backlighting up pretty high and that causes some areas to be lighter than others, like there are clouds on the screen. Has anyone else had this problem and how do you deal with it? Thanks....
post #4643 of 5012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedcousens View Post

I have had my tv for about three weeks and just paid through the nose to get it put up on the wall. My question is this: has anyone noticed any areas of the screen that are lighter than others based on backlighting? I have tried out some members lists of how to calibrate the picture and most keep the backlighting up pretty high and that causes some areas to be lighter than others, like there are clouds on the screen. Has anyone else had this problem and how do you deal with it? Thanks....
Keep back light low. Welcome to LED. It's normal.
post #4644 of 5012
oppo 103 upscale


post #4645 of 5012
I'm very interested in purchasing a 103 now. Thanks for the comparison pics Ray. Now I need to start saving for it lol.
post #4646 of 5012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post

I'm very interested in purchasing a 103 now. Thanks for the comparison pics Ray. Now I need to start saving for it lol.

your welcome, i know other people, such as myself, want comparison pictures, i really couldnt find ANY prior to my purchase so figured id give others some help. the picture isnt perfect but as u can see its much improved! also, i keep digital noise on the 7100 on LOW, as it really cleans up the image and the sharpness setting on the oppo brings back the lost details.
post #4647 of 5012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post

your welcome, i know other people, such as myself, want comparison pictures, i really couldnt find ANY prior to my purchase so figured id give others some help. the picture isnt perfect but as u can see its much improved! also, i keep digital noise on the 7100 on LOW, as it really cleans up the image and the sharpness setting on the oppo brings back the lost details.
I agree there is a huge improvement.
post #4648 of 5012

post #4649 of 5012
here is oppo 103 increasing black levels along with sharpness, image much cleaner and making the blacks much blacker while bringing out details


post #4650 of 5012
I can see by your comparison pics that it really helps get rid of that washout look . My only concern is channel changing , power on etc that you already addressed for me above. I'm going to sleep on it for a while. Btw...is the oppo 3d ?. Thanks again
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNXXF7100 Owners Thread