or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official LG XXLN5700 / XXLN5750 Owners' Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official LG XXLN5700 / XXLN5750 Owners' Thread - Page 3

post #61 of 153

I just bought the 42LN5700 and I have a few questions since this is my first Smart TV.

 

1. . What is the best way to stream movies from my PC to the LG TV using the TV's features? I have a WD TV SMP downstairs for my plasma, I'm able to stream 1080p movies over wifi with no issues.

 

2. What calibrated settings should I use to start with? This TV is in my room, it won't be used for playing games, just sports, tv shows and movies.

 

3. I have Verizon FiOS for my cable provider. I added FiOS to my TV, The LN7500 has it's own guide that you can use. But everytime I click on channel it doesn't do anything. Do I have to buy the Magic Motion Remote to use this feature of the TV?

 

4. Why does this TV not support 1080p through HDMI? It's only 1080i? On my LG Plasma it supports 1080p.

post #62 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostdope View Post

I just bought the 42LN5700 and I have a few questions since this is my first Smart TV.

1. . What is the best way to stream movies from my PC to the LG TV using the TV's features? I have a WD TV SMP downstairs for my plasma, I'm able to stream 1080p movies over wifi with no issues.

4. Why does this TV not support 1080p through HDMI? It's only 1080i? On my LG Plasma it supports 1080p.

I stream movies from my Windows 7 PC to my TV using Windows 7's build in DLNA server (using Homegroup/WMP12). Works flawlessly.

The TV definitely supports 1080p over HDMI. It's possible that if you're seeing "1080i" when you press Info, that it's from FIOS or something? Try it with a Blu-ray, or Netflix.
post #63 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAd MiKe 187 View Post


I stream movies from my Windows 7 PC to my TV using Windows 7's build in DLNA server (using Homegroup/WMP12). Works flawlessly.

The TV definitely supports 1080p over HDMI. It's possible that if you're seeing "1080i" when you press Info, that it's from FIOS or something? Try it with a Blu-ray, or Netflix.

Why does it say HDMI: 1080i? Shouldn't it say 1080p?

 

 

 

I looked up my LG 50" 50PV450 Plasma (2years old) and this is what the specs said:

 

 

I don't understand wth is going on?


Edited by mostdope - 12/22/13 at 2:53pm
post #64 of 153
It's just a misprint. They have 1080p under Component instead of HDMI, and 1080i under HDMI instead of Component.

I've had this TV for a while, and it's definitely 1080p over HDMI.
post #65 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAd MiKe 187 View Post

It's just a misprint. They have 1080p under Component instead of HDMI, and 1080i under HDMI instead of Component.

I've had this TV for a while, and it's definitely 1080p over HDMI.

Is there a way for me to see that? Hook up a PS3 or something? I need to see 1080p via HDMI for myself.

Also when I'm watching a HD channel like HBO for example I'll click info on my LG remote and it says:

HDMI1 16:9 1080i 60hz

I thought the LN5700 was 120hz? And about the 1080i, does it say 1080i b/c cable currently does broadcast in 1080p?

I guess I was just expecting to see 1080p 120hz when I purchased this. I also cant figure out how to stream movies(MKV) from my PC to the TV? Any suggestions on what to do or use, software, etc.

Thanks again for all the help...much appreciated!
post #66 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostdope View Post

Is there a way for me to see that? Hook up a PS3 or something? I need to see 1080p via HDMI for myself...I also cant figure out how to stream movies(MKV) from my PC to the TV?
I don't know much about FIOS, but I think only certain channels are 1080p. I have Cablevision, for instance, and we have NO channels that are 1080p. Can you pop in a Blu-ray, and then press Info? You should see 1080p there.

When pressing Info, you'll never actually see "120hz" because there is no content that is 120 frames per second. This part is a little hard to explain. Cable generally broadcasts at 60fps, which is why you normally see 60hz when pressing info. The only thing you can really do to prove that the TV is 120hz, is to plug in a Blu-ray player that supports 24-fps, and then press info. You should see "1080p/24hz" or something like that (120/5=24).

Gizmodo will explain this much better than I just did: http://gizmodo.com/231872/120hz-hdtvs-the-secret-to-making-movies-look-as-smooth-as-butter

I know how you feel though. I was the same way when I got my first 120hz HDTV in 2009. I didn't believe it, either, and had to do a lot of research to prove to myself that I had the real deal!

Now that that's out of the way. Streaming from your PC! Do you have a Windows 7 PC? If so, it's easy. This will explain the basics. Once you have Homegroup enabled, your TV should be able to 'see' your PC. Once you try to connect to it the first time, it should fail. Go to your PC, then the Homegroup list, and look for your TV there. Switch it from BLOCKED to ALLOW, and then try again on the TV. Streaming suddenly works, and you'll never have to mess with settings again.
post #67 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAd MiKe 187 View Post


I don't know much about FIOS, but I think only certain channels are 1080p. I have Cablevision, for instance, and we have NO channels that are 1080p. Can you pop in a Blu-ray, and then press Info? You should see 1080p there.

When pressing Info, you'll never actually see "120hz" because there is no content that is 120 frames per second. This part is a little hard to explain. Cable generally broadcasts at 60fps, which is why you normally see 60hz when pressing info. The only thing you can really do to prove that the TV is 120hz, is to plug in a Blu-ray player that supports 24-fps, and then press info. You should see "1080p/24hz" or something like that (120/5=24).

Gizmodo will explain this much better than I just did: http://gizmodo.com/231872/120hz-hdtvs-the-secret-to-making-movies-look-as-smooth-as-butter

I know how you feel though. I was the same way when I got my first 120hz HDTV in 2009. I didn't believe it, either, and had to do a lot of research to prove to myself that I had the real deal!

Now that that's out of the way. Streaming from your PC! Do you have a Windows 7 PC? If so, it's easy. This will explain the basics. Once you have Homegroup enabled, your TV should be able to 'see' your PC. Once you try to connect to it the first time, it should fail. Go to your PC, then the Homegroup list, and look for your TV there. Switch it from BLOCKED to ALLOW, and then try again on the TV. Streaming suddenly works, and you'll never have to mess with settings again.

 

Yeah, this is my first LCD so its all new to me, I've dealt with Plasmas up until now. I have PS3, I'll grab a BD from the video store and play in my PS3. Hopefully 1080p shows up and I can quit sweating about this silly issue.

 

I'll for sure read up on the 120hz guide you posted, thanks for that.

 

About the streaming. I have Windows 8.1 sadly. I'll be streaming MKV's with DTS audio and other formats. I don't think our TV is capable or playing those formats. I would need some kind of software on my PC to transcode the video so the LN5700 can play it. That is where I'm stuck. Does all streaming happen in the Smart Share section on the TV?

 

And my last question, what calibration settings are you using for you TV? I know everyone is different but I really am a novice when it comes to this stuff. I don't play games on this TV, it's a bedroom TV, just for tv shows and movies. But I do need some settings to use the make the picture and sound the best possible. All these settings are making me go nuts, don't understand what gamma is, etc. way too much, LOL. The only settings I've played with has been TruMotion, which I believe is how you change the 120hz, correct? When I first turned my TV on I believe it was defaulted to Smooth. I was about to vomit it looked like the actors where popping out of my TV and everything was going extremely fast. So I just turned that off for now, I'm not sure what to keep it on.

 

Again, thanks for your input and time...

post #68 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostdope View Post

I'll be streaming MKV's with DTS audio and other formats. I don't think our TV is capable or playing those formats.
Actually... :-)

I don't have Windows 8, but I know it's capable of streaming via Homegroup the same way Windows 7 can. There are other ways, but that's the easiest way since it's "native" to Windows. My friends do it, so I know it can be done. Google the issue a bit, and you'll find something, I'm sure.

As for the DTS audio... Are you using this TV with a surround sound unit, or just the TV's audio? And will your surround sound unit be HDMI supported? The reason I ask is because, the TV will play any video/audio format I throw at it. It plays DTS and all. If you're using surround sound with HDMI, or the TV's 2 speakers, it'll just play. If you're using surround sound with an optical cable, it'll play - but in stereo. UNLESS you buy a $14 RCA universal remote that allows you into LG's hidden menu to enable AC3/DTS support via optical (which I have done). I have two of these TVs in 2 different rooms, connected to two different surround setups. One setup has HDMI, so everything works natively. The other is old, so I had to go into the menu to turn on AC3/DTS. Now, when I'm streaming my MKVs with DTS, or my Netflix with Dolby 5.1, everything sounds perfect out of the 5.1 receiver.

Also, I highly recommend that if you ever do decide to use a gaming system with this TV, you rename the HDMI input to GAME. Seriously. Select the GAME input, and also switch the Picture settings from "Standard" to "Game." I know it sounds silly, but renaming the HDMI input to Game disables some background processing that helps lower input lag. Try it. Keep the Input blank or label it "Cable" or something, and pop in a game. Fire a gun. Look at how long it actually takes to "fire." Rename the input to "Game." Fire the gun. It fires instantly.

Absolutely turn off the TruMotion garbage. Your TV will still refresh at 120hz, but it won't look like a silly soap opera.

As for the settings I use, I'll post them. These are not professional settings, as I haven't attempted to calibrate it professionally yet. I just selected these based on my room lighting and what looks pleasing. I like neutral colors with slightly warm flesh tones. Feel free to start here, and change them to however you like, or to search for something professional. Give it a try, as I think it looks pretty good:

Backlight: 50
Contrast: 80
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 20
Color: 70
Tint: 0
Color Balance: 0

Advanced picture options:

Dynamic Contrast: Off
Dynamic Color: Low

Super Resolution: Medium
Gamma: Medium

Picture Options:

Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Black Level: Low (for your Game input, you'll want this to be High - as it will imitate a PC monitor's black levels, which are how games are encoded for. Just make sure you switch your PS3 to Full RGB to take advantage of this)
Real Cinema: On
Motion Eye care: Off
TruMotion: Off


^ You have to do change the above settings on all HDMI inputs, on YouTube (which will make the switch on Netflix automatically, as well), on a USB movie, and also on a streaming movie. Once you set it all once, it's all good forever.

You're welcome! Enjoy!!!
post #69 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAd MiKe 187 View Post


Actually... :-)

I don't have Windows 8, but I know it's capable of streaming via Homegroup the same way Windows 7 can. There are other ways, but that's the easiest way since it's "native" to Windows. My friends do it, so I know it can be done. Google the issue a bit, and you'll find something, I'm sure.

As for the DTS audio... Are you using this TV with a surround sound unit, or just the TV's audio? And will your surround sound unit be HDMI supported? The reason I ask is because, the TV will play any video/audio format I throw at it. It plays DTS and all. If you're using surround sound with HDMI, or the TV's 2 speakers, it'll just play. If you're using surround sound with an optical cable, it'll play - but in stereo. UNLESS you buy a $14 RCA universal remote that allows you into LG's hidden menu to enable AC3/DTS support via optical (which I have done). I have two of these TVs in 2 different rooms, connected to two different surround setups. One setup has HDMI, so everything works natively. The other is old, so I had to go into the menu to turn on AC3/DTS. Now, when I'm streaming my MKVs with DTS, or my Netflix with Dolby 5.1, everything sounds perfect out of the 5.1 receiver.

Also, I highly recommend that if you ever do decide to use a gaming system with this TV, you rename the HDMI input to GAME. Seriously. Select the GAME input, and also switch the Picture settings from "Standard" to "Game." I know it sounds silly, but renaming the HDMI input to Game disables some background processing that helps lower input lag. Try it. Keep the Input blank or label it "Cable" or something, and pop in a game. Fire a gun. Look at how long it actually takes to "fire." Rename the input to "Game." Fire the gun. It fires instantly.

Absolutely turn off the TruMotion garbage. Your TV will still refresh at 120hz, but it won't look like a silly soap opera.

As for the settings I use, I'll post them. These are not professional settings, as I haven't attempted to calibrate it professionally yet. I just selected these based on my room lighting and what looks pleasing. I like neutral colors with slightly warm flesh tones. Feel free to start here, and change them to however you like, or to search for something professional. Give it a try, as I think it looks pretty good:

Backlight: 50
Contrast: 80
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 20
Color: 70
Tint: 0
Color Balance: 0

Advanced picture options:

Dynamic Contrast: Off
Dynamic Color: Low

Super Resolution: Medium
Gamma: Medium

Picture Options:

Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Black Level: Low (for your Game input, you'll want this to be High - as it will imitate a PC monitor's black levels, which are how games are encoded for. Just make sure you switch your PS3 to Full RGB to take advantage of this)
Real Cinema: On
Motion Eye care: Off
TruMotion: Off


^ You have to do change the above settings on all HDMI inputs, on YouTube (which will make the switch on Netflix automatically, as well), on a USB movie, and also on a streaming movie. Once you set it all once, it's all good forever.

You're welcome! Enjoy!!!

 

I didn't know the TV could handle DTS out of the box. I'm using my TV speakers, no home theater speakers systems, etc. Everything is through HDMI. I just have my FiOS cable box connected to the TV via HDMI, that is everything connected to my TV. I'm guessing you recommend I get a sound system? It's in my bedroom and I really don't want any.

 

I'v never used Homegroups, really don't know how that works. For sharing so far I've used a PC app called Mezzmo which converts videos on the fly if need be. Say my TV cant handle a format it will transcode so the TV can play it. I've been having issues with MKV's w/ DTS audio, I'm glad it's working for you though. I do have WDTV Live streaming media player downstairs for my Plasma but currently I'm having issues streaming to that also. My PC doesn't seem to recognize the WDTV anymore, doesn't show up under Network Devices anymore. But that's not for this forum though.

 

Oh and I just purchased that LG Magic Motion Remote to use, hopefully its better. than the pos I'm using now.


Edited by mostdope - 12/23/13 at 11:01am
post #70 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostdope View Post

I didn't know the TV could handle DTS out of the box...Everything is through HDMI.
Yup, the TV can handle DTS out of the box, as long as you are using HDMI or your TV's speakers. If it's a bedroom TV, forget about the surround sound.

The files that you're having trouble with, can the TV play them if you copy the files to a USB and play it on the TV via USB?
post #71 of 153
"Consumer Reports" published calibration settings for 2 LG's in the 5700 line. I have tried one set on my 39" and it produced an excellent picture (at least a great starting point).

39"
Picture Mode: Expert1
Contrast (Picture): 90
Brightness: 50
Color: 56
Tint: 0
Sharpness: H = 5, V = 5
Color Temperature: Warm2
Backlight: 60
Aspect Ratio: Just Scan
Miscellaneous: Color Gamut = Standard, Gamma = 2.2, Black Level = Low, Real Cinema = On (All remaining settings set to OFF, or 0)

50"
Picture Mode: Expert1
Contrast (Picture): 90
Brightness: 52
Color: 57
Tint: R13
Sharpness: H = 7, V = 8
Color Temperature: Warm2
Backlight: 55
Aspect Ratio: Just Scan
Miscellaneous: Color Gamut = Standard, Gamma = 2.2, Black Level = Low, Real Cinema = On (All remaining settings set to OFF, or 0)
post #72 of 153

Hello, I'm new here.

 

Has anyone updated to ver.05.03.06? I always like to find info on what to expect in an update before I press the pickle button and I haven't been able to find anything on the LG website.

post #73 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by daves1986 View Post

Has anyone updated to ver.05.03.06? I always like to find info on what to expect in an update before I press the pickle button and I haven't been able to find anything on the LG website.
Is that the update that came out a week ago? New Netflix interface. It's very nice.
post #74 of 153
Thanks for this...I have the 47" 47LN5750....I wonder why the below settings would be different from two different screen sizes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojo_P View Post

"Consumer Reports" published calibration settings for 2 LG's in the 5700 line. I have tried one set on my 39" and it produced an excellent picture (at least a great starting point).

39"
Picture Mode: Expert1
Contrast (Picture): 90
Brightness: 50
Color: 56
Tint: 0
Sharpness: H = 5, V = 5
Color Temperature: Warm2
Backlight: 60
Aspect Ratio: Just Scan
Miscellaneous: Color Gamut = Standard, Gamma = 2.2, Black Level = Low, Real Cinema = On (All remaining settings set to OFF, or 0)

50"
Picture Mode: Expert1
Contrast (Picture): 90
Brightness: 52
Color: 57
Tint: R13
Sharpness: H = 7, V = 8
Color Temperature: Warm2
Backlight: 55
Aspect Ratio: Just Scan
Miscellaneous: Color Gamut = Standard, Gamma = 2.2, Black Level = Low, Real Cinema = On (All remaining settings set to OFF, or 0)
post #75 of 153

Howdy Mike.

 

Got this tv and the sync lags are making me nuts.  Your one casual mention of a menu to "unlock" the 5.1 pass through of the back optical port has me intrigued... I, too, reasoned that that would be a way to solve the lag, but it only downconverted to 2.0.  LG said that that was all that would come out that port.

 

How can I get to this set up menu to allow DTS pass through out that port?

 

feel free to email me direct if you can:

 

daveveal@verizon.net

 

THANKS A MILLION!

 

David

post #76 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandtlj View Post

Thanks for this...I have the 47" 47LN5750....I wonder why the below settings would be different from two different screen sizes.
Don't think two of even the same model are ever going to be exactly alike (believe I was pleased with just turning up the color on my 39" a couple of notches).
As you can see from the two set settings they are very close and would bet that some tweaking or your 47LN5750 closer to those of the 50" settings would be a nice beginning spot.
post #77 of 153

In the standard viewing modes I did notice slight lag between my controls and what appeared on the screen. When I switched the mode to GAME mode, the lag was no longer noticeable for me. I'll probably hook up the laptop to it later to see how the input lag looks.

P81t1k

post #78 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveveal View Post

Howdy Mike.

Got this tv and the sync lags are making me nuts.  Your one casual mention of a menu to "unlock" the 5.1 pass through of the back optical port has me intrigued... I, too, reasoned that that would be a way to solve the lag, but it only downconverted to 2.0.  LG said that that was all that would come out that port.

How can I get to this set up menu to allow DTS pass through out that port?

feel free to email me direct if you can:

daveveal@verizon.net

THANKS A MILLION!

David
lol don't ask LG how to do this! It's more or less a "hack," so be aware it may void your warranty and blah blah blah.

In any case, please peruse this link. Long story short, you have to use a certain universal remote to unlock a service menu, to switch the output from PCM to DTS. I used an RCA remote.

I don't think this will help with the sync lag - it will just make optical audio better. I have two 5700s (a 55 inch connected to a receiver via HDMI, and a 42 inch connected to a receiver via optical cable). With the HDMI receiver, I have to set a 150ms delay on the receiver to sync everything up. With the optical cable, I have to set a 2ms delay on the TV to sync up audio coming FROM the TV (as in, audio from movies plugged in via my USB, Netflix and YouTube apps - and luckily, you can set it to sync specific things separately). Everything plugged into the TV (cable box, DVD player, Xbox 360) are already in sync. So, I had to do some messing around to get everything perfect, but it's worth it, and I love being able to send DTS audio to my receiver!

Good luck!
post #79 of 153

Hi All,

 

I have an issue with my 47LN5700 that I hope someone can shed some light on a potential fix.

 

While watching my Directv DVR, the display occasionally FREEZES for 1/2 - 1 second. This occurs mainly on channels that I know to be true HD like ESPN as well as others.

 

I played with the TruMotion, Real Cinema, and Noise Reduction settings, as well as Picture Mode, and although I've seen some minor improvements I can't get rid of the issue completely. Oh, and I ran the Picture Wizard II a couple of times too. 

 

I have 3 sources (DVR, XBOX, and PC) running into my Yamaha RX-V673 AV receiver via HDMI with an HDMI out to the LG TV.  I replaced all of the HDMI cables, and the receiver is new [but the issue occurred with my old receiver too]. I never saw this issue with the Samsung LCD that I bought the LG to replace.

 

I appreciate any help or feedback anyone can offer. 

 

Thanks!

post #80 of 153

Why is there no 3D button on the remote or in the settings to take SBS video and overlap it?

post #81 of 153

Mike.  Thanks for the links!  Yeah I cobbled together the hack from several pages I found prior to your excellent wiki-linki.  Adding the Service Menu button to my Logitech harmony remote and then the 0413 access code.  New settings for that optical out port seem to be under tool menu number 7 and now give choices not only of PCM and AC3 but also DTS.  Worked like a champ.

post #82 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by daves1986 View Post

Why is there no 3D button on the remote or in the settings to take SBS video and overlap it?
This isn't a 3D TV.
post #83 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveveal View Post

Mike.  Thanks for the links!  Yeah I cobbled together the hack from several pages I found prior to your excellent wiki-linki.  Adding the Service Menu button to my Logitech harmony remote and then the 0413 access code.  New settings for that optical out port seem to be under tool menu number 7 and now give choices not only of PCM and AC3 but also DTS.  Worked like a champ.
No problem! Happy to help. I was happy to see that switching it to DTS also gave me AC3 output. So, DTS is definitely the way to go. It works very well. I'm so happy with this TV, and all of its features.
post #84 of 153

Hello everyone,

 

Sorry if this has been asked before.  I read through the threads and haven't seen anything about it.  I set-up my LG LN5700 today.  The U-verse TV and blu-ray pictures both look great.  Tru-motion is turned off.  But when I play a show off of the Apps (Netflix or Amazon Prime) the "soap opera" display is crazy.  I tried watching "House of Cards" and the effect was noticeable as to be unwatchable.  What am I doing wrong that the display of these apps looks so different (worse) than from U-verse and/or Blu-ray?  Is there a way to change just he app display settings?

 

Thanks for any help.

 

Aufbach

post #85 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufbach View Post

Tru-motion is turned off.  But when I play a show off of the Apps (Netflix or Amazon Prime) the "soap opera" display is crazy... What am I doing wrong that the display of these apps looks so different (worse) than from U-verse and/or Blu-ray?  Is there a way to change just he app display settings? any help.
Hey there. When Netflix is open, press the "QMENU" button on the remote and re-do your video/audio settings. You may also have to do this when watching a movie from the USB stick.
post #86 of 153

Thanks for the quick response!  Your solution worked, and now the apps' display is much improved.

 

Also, just in case someone else encounters this, it's worth noting that my remote control does not have a designated "QMENU" button.  "QMENU" is written on the plastic above the "My Apps" button, which was a little confusing at first - almost like they had forgotten to included the "QMENU" button.

 

In reality, the "My Apps" button doubles as the "QMENU" button, but you'll only get the QMENU options when the app is open and playing, and then you push the "My Apps" button.  I didn't see my specific remote in any of the demos I researched, or in my owners manual.

 

Anyway, thanks again for the help.

 

Aufbach

post #87 of 153
Hi there LN5700 owners,
I was looking at this TV recently and just wanted to see if I could get some feedback on some specific features. I'm looking to add a TV to the bedroom, which will have about an 8' viewing distance, and this was one of the few TVs that I could find in the 32" size with all the features that I wanted. I'm planning on only using this TV over a wi-fi connection to watch movies from a DLNA server (xbmc) and television programs from my laptop over the Intel WiDi (i.e. Hulu and downloaded content). Don't want to have to hook up cable service or extra soundbar or anything.

I already have a home theater type setup for action movies and sports and whatnot. Don't plan on gaming. Just basic stuff over the internet and streaming

So, what I'm asking is, has anyone used the DLNA and WiDi features, and how was the performance? Are there any other TVs that you were looking at that would fit this criteria?

Thanks in advance!
post #88 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by andytseng View Post

So, what I'm asking is, has anyone used the DLNA and WiDi features, and how was the performance?
I use the DLNA service nearly every day, with excellent results. I have two of these televisions: a 55 inch in my living room, which is over 50 feet away and two walls from my router - and uses wireless. And a 42 inch connected via a wired connection. I have no issues with the wireless. In the same room as the 55 inch, I also have an LG home theater system (that has Netflix and the same DLNA services) - the TV performs much better. I don't know if it's the dual core processor, or if there is just a better wireless receiver in the TV as opposed to the home theater system, but Super HD content from Netflix plays about 1.5 seconds after hitting "Play" and doesn't stutter/skip, and I stream 14GB 1080P MKV files with DTS audio over the WiFi, without problems. Movies load so much quicker on this TV, compared to my LG home theater system which is a couple of years older than this TV.

I know that the TV also has WiDi, but I don't really know what that is, so I don't use it. The DLNA and Netflix work perfectly. There's probably a ton of other TVs that do this, but LG has a history of having excellent DivX HD support (support for AVI, MKV, MP4, MOV, etc... file types), and this TV can be 'hacked' to enable 5.1 (Dolby and DTS) output via the optical port, so it served all of my needs and I didn't need to look elsewhere. The Smart Apps are great (I mainly use Netflix, YouTube, and Amazon VOD), I haven't come across a video file on my PC that the TV can't play, and the picture is beautiful.
post #89 of 153
Exactly what I was looking for. Sounds like you're really enjoying the TV!

WiDi is just Intel's wireless display thing (like Miracast & Airplay where you can mirror or extend your laptop screen onto the TV). Doesn't seem like too many people use it. Saw 1 thread about it overheating the TV (or probably more specifically the WiDi component), and I think most people would just rather run the cable to the TV, but if it works like it was promised, then it'd make my life a little bit easier. The presence of WiDi is what actually first brought me to this line of LGs, but I've been reading more about the DivX support that you mentioned, and I think this is probably the TV for me.
post #90 of 153
Thanks for the info! Sounds like a really good feature. I could see how that would be useful if I wanted to play something from HBO Go from my computer, to the TV.

And yes, I'm very much loving this TV. Since I'm replacing my Xbox 360 with a PS4 soon (and PS4 doesn't stream movies from the computer like the Xbox 360 does, and the PS3 - and you can bet it will also have crazy copyright protection), it was important to me to have more devices that can stream all of my movies - and this TV can play it all.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official LG XXLN5700 / XXLN5750 Owners' Thread