or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › News Forum › Latest Industry News › BDA to Determine if 4K Blu-ray is Feasible
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BDA to Determine if 4K Blu-ray is Feasible - Page 3

post #61 of 109
I personally don't count it as 6 years as the first 2 years were filled with format war.
post #62 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan View Post

This Fujifilm disc development has a better chance to become a disc standard for BD. Not that 4K BD standard need more than 50GB discs.



We will see but it sure looks like a new media being developed.
post #63 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyS View Post

I think that is the major problem. Technology development didn't move that fast even a decade ago. A format expectancy was supposed to last 10 years as VHS and DVD did. Even today though DVD still is available on the market even though prices on Blu-rays and players have gone down in price.

Blu-Ray launched in Japan in 2003. It *IS* now 10 years old.
post #64 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

Blu-Ray launched in Japan in 2003. It *IS* now 10 years old.

This ain't Japan ! tongue.gif
post #65 of 109
Although technologically I wish this is Japan biggrin.gif
post #66 of 109
very true - good point !
post #67 of 109
Blu-ray players will "up convert" DVD's, as will 1080p flat panels. Since we know many don' t "see" a big difference between the two, it is no surprise that Blu-ray Discs are not sold in the ever increasing number while DVD discs travel the road to oblivion like the VHS tapes... Especially in these economic times! With continued but slowly dropping prices on blockbuster new releases, DVD's days are numbered (how long... I have no clue, much less care about). Fry,s adds typically have many Blu-ray movies at 5.99/6.99/7.99 prices.
post #68 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTrauma View Post

Blu-ray players will "up convert" DVD's, as will 1080p flat panels. Since we know many don' t "see" a big difference between the two, it is no surprise that Blu-ray Discs are not sold in the ever increasing number while DVD discs travel the road to oblivion like the VHS tapes... Especially in these economic times! With continued but slowly dropping prices on blockbuster new releases, DVD's days are numbered (how long... I have no clue, much less care about). Fry,s adds typically have many Blu-ray movies at 5.99/6.99/7.99 prices.

If someone can't see the difference between 1080p on a BD and unconverted 480 to 1080p (even if it was processed with one of the more reputable video processing chip), then they need to get their eyes checked big time !

Just like you can tell the difference between a 4k panel showing native 4k content v. 1080p content. Up converting will always be junk imo
post #69 of 109
Whereas I agree that 480i upscaled to 1080p looks vastly inferior to native 1080p, upscaled VERY GOOD 1080p to 4K is not that much different than native 4K.
If you're in the 404/Elgin Mills area, come and visit UpdateTv and Stereo and look at the upscaling quality yourself. It's amazing. eek.gif
post #70 of 109
I just realized you're in Ottawa. smile.gif
post #71 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

I just realized you're in Ottawa. smile.gif

Yes Sir, Go Sens !

Lots of friends in Toronto.. next time I'm there I'll drop you a line. Is that your store? cool.gif

You do any calibrations in Ottawa by any chance?? If not.... do you know 'good' ones here?

By 'good' I actually meant 'great' calibrators.. wink.gif
post #72 of 109
Nope, not my store, but it's one of several stores that I consult for.

I know a guy in Montreal who is very good, it'll be a lot cheaper than bringing me to Ottawa although some clients did flew me to (last year, for example) to Moscow, Kuwait, Dubai and Panama.
post #73 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Nope, not my store, but it's one of several stores that I consult for.

I know a guy in Montreal who is very good, it'll be a lot cheaper than bringing me to Ottawa although some clients did flew me to (last year, for example) to Moscow, Kuwait, Dubai and Panama.

Haha ok maybe pm me his name/contact info if you don't mind. I still need to break in the new plasma for a few more months before doing this.. If I do... Would I see a big difference you think - I'm using D-Nice and CNET settings right now, looks amazing now that's why I'm asking confused.gif

If I had a G6 on standby I'd bring you in, but unfortunately I'm not a Sheik wink.gif
post #74 of 109
Agreed that there is a big difference between native 1080p and up converted DVD's! My point is many feel it's "good enough" to not replace their entire DVD collection, and good enough to purchase DVD's (at lower price points) for material they may watch once, maybe twice. Quality is secondary to cost for many, considering most still have not taken the time and effort to properly calibrate that nifty new big screen that was on sale at Walmart. That is why DVD's still retain a significant portion of the market share, and the superior Blu-ray formate is not (as of yet) the preferred/dominate media medium.
post #75 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTrauma View Post

Agreed that there is a big difference between native 1080p and up converted DVD's! My point is many feel it's "good enough" to not replace their entire DVD collection, and good enough to purchase DVD's (at lower price points) for material they may watch once, maybe twice. Quality is secondary to cost for many, considering most still have not taken the time and effort to properly calibrate that nifty new big screen that was on sale at Walmart. That is why DVD's still retain a significant portion of the market share, and the superior Blu-ray formate is not (as of yet) the preferred/dominate media medium.

Absolutely agreed - that was my initial point, BD is nowhere near where DVD was when BD came out...

Do people really want to upgrade their movie collection FIVE times in 30 years or so (VHS, DVD, BD 1080p, 4k, 8k) confused.gif
post #76 of 109
I want 12" Blu-ray, then we can have proper laser-disk cover art! I love the LP size. Go for 1/2 TB of storage at least.
post #77 of 109
I would LOVE to have 12" Blu-ray or any optical format !!!!

oh, in terms of double dipping... how about me buying StarWars in Betamax P/S, VHS P/S, LD P/S, LD lbx, LD THX lbx, DVD, and now Blu-ray. Similar thing goes with Terminator2. From T2 LD LBX, LD Squeeze, DVD, DVD Metal Case Limited Edition (Director's Cut), BD, BD Skynet Edition.

Yes, I know, I'm a dork biggrin.gif
post #78 of 109
I've only got the Beta, VHS & DVD of Star Wars... haven't sprung for the Blu-ray set yet... probably will get the 3D version when all completed. Loved how Darth Vader/Lukes Father changes (standing next to Obi Wan & Yoda) at the end of episode 6 as episodes 1-3 were added. David, the studios gotta love ya!
Edited by AVTrauma - 5/6/13 at 10:13pm
post #79 of 109
Yeah, there must be dorks like me that keep the studios constantly rereleasing stuff.
post #80 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

Absolutely agreed - that was my initial point, BD is nowhere near where DVD was when BD came out...

Do people really want to upgrade their movie collection FIVE times in 30 years or so (VHS, DVD, BD 1080p, 4k, 8k) confused.gif

My movie collection consists of maybe 20 movies so I can upgrade relatively cheaply.
post #81 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post


Absolutely agreed - that was my initial point, BD is nowhere near where DVD was when BD came out...

Do people really want to upgrade their movie collection FIVE times in 30 years or so (VHS, DVD, BD 1080p, 4k, 8k) confused.gif

What's more interesting to me is future movies looking as good as possible on future systems. Blu-ray is adequate to exploit the visual detail in the majority of movies made up until this point, but with the proliferation of 4K digital systems and Christopher Nolan's embrace of IMAX film for his blockbusters, it means that the future will require higher definition media.


Edited by imagic - 5/7/13 at 8:49am
post #82 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepyourgameup View Post

My movie collection consists of maybe 20 movies so I can upgrade relatively cheaply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

Why the fixation on the movie collection, when in fact what's more interesting is future movies looking as good as possible on future systems. Blu-ray is adequate to exploit the visual detail in the majority of movies made up until this point, but with the proliferation of 4K digital systems and Christopher Nolan's embrace of IMAX film for his blockbusters means that the future will require higher definition.

Yeah I was just playing devil's advocate.. personally I have absolutely no fixation on collecting movies - I have less then 30 DVD's and less then 25 BDs. I find it too expensive to spend $20-$30 on a disc.. I only buy all time favorites and some known PQ/SQ reference discs. That being said, I do plan on expanding my BDs collection this year, however I like to ask for those for Christmas and my birthday (coming up later this month) biggrin.gif
post #83 of 109
It seems to me that 4K is really geared towards theaters where screen sizes are 100"+. Also, from everything I've read the up-conversion from blu ray to 4K looks great.

I'm considering a 4K player for my new theater room, but my main concern is will the hardware become obsolete once the media and player are released? Will they handle a new HDMI release? Will I have to take the projector down and send it off for upgrading when I've already spent a premium for the player? These are my burning questions that noone seems to know the answer to.
post #84 of 109
Upconversion truly depends on the scaler. I've personally tried Sharp's ICC, Sony's 4K Reality Pro and Marvell Qdeo K2H upscalers. The only amazing one is Sony's engine with Sharp being...well, severely under whelming.
post #85 of 109
Quote:
Upconversion truly depends on the scaler. I've personally tried Sharp's ICC, Sony's 4K Reality Pro and Marvell Qdeo K2H upscalers. The only amazing one is Sony's engine with Sharp being...well, severely under whelming.

I'm assuming the Sony 4K Reality Pro is in the Sony 4K projector?
post #86 of 109
Yes. In the VPL-1000ES. However, once the projector receives a 4K signal, the reality pro engine is by-passed.
post #87 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Upconversion truly depends on the scaler. I've personally tried Sharp's ICC, Sony's 4K Reality Pro and Marvell Qdeo K2H upscalers. The only amazing one is Sony's engine with Sharp being...well, severely under whelming.

David, what's your take on upconversion for that QDEO chip, and the HQV Vida chip ? What if I throw deinterlacing in there. I'd be very interested in hearing your opinion on those two chips.

Thx !
post #88 of 109
Qdeo upscaling to 4K is still noticable vs native 4K but acceptable, Sharp is just sad. I can easily tell the difference between upscaled vs native. HQV I can't comment because I never tried it.
post #89 of 109
^^^

Thanks very much David smile.gif
post #90 of 109
What's good for the goose
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Latest Industry News
AVS › AVS Forum › News Forum › Latest Industry News › BDA to Determine if 4K Blu-ray is Feasible