or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › Iron Man 3 is a disappointment (SPOILER ALERT !!! )
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Iron Man 3 is a disappointment (SPOILER ALERT !!! ) - Page 2

post #31 of 66
However, keep in mind the first sentence or so appears in the other discussions main menu, which could present a spoiler for someone not even in this thread.
post #32 of 66
I generally enjoyed the movie but I never read any of the comics so I can't comment on the consistency between the two. However, I'll echo quite a few of things already mentioned.

1) The Audi in TN was annoying but the baddie did drive it there so it's explained. The most annoying part of it for me was they had to make sure you knew it was an Audi by panning from the grill to the driver seat. Product placement and use in movies has gotten out of control but I don't see it getting any better in the coming years. I just wish they'd make it a little less obvious.

2) I think it's unfair to call some of the suits weak but instead, how was Killian so super? He was so hot that he could hit/slice through it like butter but not hot enough to instantly get Rhodes to hop of of his suit. (And also the flame breathing) Also, with Mark 42, I consider it still a prototype and unfinished but usable. It did bust apart fairly easily but who's to say that's not by design? If it's an empty shell, then by disassembling upon collision could save some potential damage? It's unlikely but who's to know. I'm able to take this stance because some of the suits were designed to have special function.

3) Where did all the baddies come from in the end?! You could make this argument in 90% of the movies with large fight scenes. You saw records/documentation for some but not enough for 42 suits to fight for 15 minutes.

4) The kid. Unless he was part of, or a future character from the comics, he's just filler and a way to anchor/show Tony to the town. I found their interactions humorous though so it's forgivable for me. Some back story would have been nice but for an already long movie, it just wasn't possible. Again, not sure if they were setting it up for a future story about the kid as another Marvel hero. The intrigue was there but just didn't materialize into anything firm.

5) The suits at the end. Tony made the comment earlier that smart people always have a way out or something to that affect. Not a great explanation but a plausible one.

6) As far as his chest device, I just assumed it was because he learned himself in Killian's regeneration method and warped it in a way to help himself out. That's a stretch and that connection wasn't apparent in the movie other than the weak "I can fix that' line at the end.

7) End of credit cameo. It fit imo. The movie started being narrated by Stark like his was telling the story all along. There was also a pretty good connection between the 2 in Avengers so I can accept it as such.
post #33 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidML3 View Post

My concerns
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
1. How did they find Stark in Tenn so quickly?
2. What actual purpose is Iron Patriot/Warchmachine serving in these movies?
3. Was it me or were they really forcing Avengers references in this movie?

They weren't looking for Stark IIRC. They were looking for the file that the "mom" in the bar had. Remember, she thought Tony was the one who called her. Tony just happened to be there when the girl AIM agent showed up flashing her badge.

No response for #2. To me it was just more rounding out the whole Iron Man universe.

And I may still have been thinking about the Mandarin twist but I don't recall many Avengers references.
post #34 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidML3 View Post

My concerns
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
1. How did they find Stark in Tenn so quickly?
2. What actual purpose is Iron Patriot/Warchmachine serving in these movies?
3. Was it me or were they really forcing Avengers references in this movie?

I'll try to answer your concerns below. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
  1. They did not FIND Stark. Stark got crash landed by Jarvis in Tennessee, as Stark was planning to investigate the suspicious explosions for possible connections to the Mandarin. The AIM baddies were at the bar to meet the mother of the soldier that blew up there, to recover a file that could connect the soldier to the other guinea pigs in the Extremis test runs. The HOT chick sees Stark there and recognizes him, and the crap hits the fan.
  2. Carrying on the arc from Iron Man 2 where the government took control of the Iron Man suits, Rhodes and his War Machine suit was being used as Iron Patriot - as a PR vehicle in special operations. After the spectacular blowout from the drone armies in IM2, the govt might have opted not to use drone suits, but rather limit the use of the suit under human control - Rhodes in the War Machine suit. Might also be a reason why the army was working with AIM as an alternative technology to create super soldiers.
  3. It's not a new development where the Marvel superhero movies reference the events from other movies released before. I am sure the audience also has come to accept these movies to be in the same universe, and sharing the same chronology as presented in each subsequent movie released. To carry on the pseudo-continuum of this story arc, there are references to the events in New York from The Avengers, and that Stark was left as a nervous wreck after watching the threat condition escalated to supernatural levels. I don't understand your beef with this aspect.
post #35 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

In general I thought it was good but I feel if they had done more character development and made it two movies I could have been a great movie.

(BTW, Spoilers and what not)

I agree 100%. In my opinion, Captain America would have been a better match for Killian. Take away the fire breath and you have an enemy that a super soldier would have a hard time defeating. Captain America would be able to take the hits (I call bull on them ripping up Ironman suits like paper) and dish them back out. The only difference is that Captain America has limits. limits that he would need to overcome or find an ingenious was of winning. Great film right there.

Now have the Mandarin in all his glory. IM3 was about Stark vs the Mandarin. That is what they showed in the previews and that is what is getting all the views. Sure, people may still be okay with the twist, I mean, Robert Downey Jr. is a good actor and Stark is a great character. But they first went into theaters because of " Some people call me a terrorist. I consider myself a teacher. Lesson number one. Heroes...there is no such thing." THAT is what people wanted.

So you have two great films that make sense. To answer the question of why Tony did not call for sheild, I turn to Rhodes. Tony should get intel from shield, I mean, they do this kind of stuff. And when Fury asks if he needs help, either Starks ego should get in the way or Rhodey should step up and be like "Listen man, I want to help you. Let me do this". Maybe not those words exactly, but War Machine could have been the assistance Stark needs to turn the tide with the Mandarin and his men.

Then the suits...First, why did Stark fall asleep before telling Jarvis that he did not want to go to TN? How did no one see him blast out the water? Why didn't Tony use the Mk 42 to clear the rubble and free the other suits? Why didn't all those suits free themselves? (And I don't buy that they can't. One of those suits had the power to hold a giant platform steady). And why did his suit lose power? I get that they nolonger use the arc reactor, but I think Tony would have it able to as backup. It would suck to lose a charge during a long fight.

Also, Killian was a human torch knockoff. There was no reason for the girl to attempt suicide just to have Killian shoot her. And how did a bullet kill her? We had already established that anything short of a huge explosion does not kill the soldiers. So how is she dead? If Killian can split an Ironman suit easily, then why even bother to heat up War Machine? Why not just dress up as an Air force one staff (like his guy did) and then just kill everyone and escape with the pres?


See, this movie is bad. Entertaining, but actually bad with so many issues that it does not warrant whatever salary the writers pulled. My mind was struggling to make it work but I had to give up. Here is what I came up with.

Tony has PTSD, he builds because it is what soothes him and the suits make him feel safe. The Mk 42 malfunctioned a lot, but he had no choice but to use it because the others are now destroyed. He comes to grips with the fact that he is Ironman with or without the suit. He finds the Mandarin who is not the real Mandarin. Later, the REAL Mandarin shows up, because he is smart enough to have a decoy. War Machine shows up to save Tony and buy him time for his suit to arrive. War machine keeps his distance. They both begin fighting. The Mandarin escapes and Tony decides to ask SHEILD for help. Rhody convinces him that they can both handle it and mentions he does not want to be left out like in the Avengers. They both find the Mandarin (much later) and the epic battle comes to an end.

IMO, Much better my way. Plus, you get two good movies instead of one disappointing one.
post #36 of 66
"THAT is what people wanted" vs. what people got is not necessarily a reason to knock a movie, at least not in this particular case. Movies have been pulling surprises forever. If the trailers had run with the scene where Killian said he was the real Mandarin showing all AIM footage but when we got to the theater and Kingsly's Mandarin was revealed as the original trailers made him appear to be or how the comics portrayed him, you'd probably be totally stoked about it. Basically what I'm saying is it's one of those, it's a great decision only if it works kind of things. Set expectations are a tough thing when it comes to movies.

Tony would only get intel from SHIELD if they chose to disclose it and Rhodey works for the government, not Stark. The Mandarin presented a legitimate threat to national security, which is why Rhodey/Iron Patriot/War Machine was involved.

I'm not sure I'm following about Mark 42 clearing the rubble. Tony was wearing it underwater when he got freed and he was in it when "it" took him to Tennessee, after which time it was busted. So it couldn't have freed the rubble at his house in Malibu. Maybe I'm missing the point you're making though. That being said, I'm not sure I'm buying that we didn't see the IM army because of the debris. I think it was a calculated decision on Tony's part, much like him waiting to use his one off wrist pulsar thingy (laughing at myself) during the fight in Tennessee. The no or limited power thing...yeah I got nuthin. He can fight an entire war in New York but is running out of power now. That's just a miss in the writing IMO. For all things unexplained like this I divert back to my theory of it all being a dream. It's easier for me that way.

The girl was going to shoot herself in the head, which would make sense to me that would be the one way she/they could be killed. And I may have blinked but I was thinking that's how Killian killed her. Not really getting the Human Torch knock off thing. Unless I'm missing something the idea of the whole thing was to create a government contract with AIM for a new type of soldier. They needed the president out of the way so the supportive vice president could obtain office and the whole thing would justify a need for government contracts with AIM, which is something Stark wasn't willing to do.

Again, the Mark 42 was a prototype and not battle ready or weaponized so the malfunctions are kind of a gimme IMO.

When did Tony call SHIELD?
post #37 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

Again, the Mark 42 was a prototype and not battle ready or weaponized so the malfunctions are kind of a gimme IMO.

Then why in the world would he be wearing that suit right after he tells the biggest terrorist in the world his home address and to come over for a fight? Wouldn't you be wearing one that worked and was fully charged? And if he can have all the other suits fight/flight remotely at a seconds notice, then why doesn't he have them go after the 3 helicopters in the start of the movie, or pick him up in Tenn instead of charging the suit he has there?

Why does he need AA batteries when he has an arc reactor in his chest? Why does he need to slowly charge his suit when he as said before has an arc reactor in his chest?

Just a few more reasons this is a movie for brain dead people.
post #38 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Steffek View Post

1. Then why in the world would he be wearing that suit right after he tells the biggest terrorist in the world his home address and to come over for a fight? Wouldn't you be wearing one that worked and was fully charged?

2. And if he can have all the other suits fight/flight remotely at a seconds notice, then why doesn't he have them go after the 3 helicopters in the start of the movie, or pick him up in Tenn instead of charging the suit he has there?

3. Why does he need AA batteries when he has an arc reactor in his chest? Why does he need to slowly charge his suit when he as said before has an arc reactor in his chest?

Just a few more reasons this is a movie for brain dead people.

1. He was wearing that suit because the makers of the movie wanted that cool scene where he uses it save Pepper during the missile attack...plus he has to have a handicap because otherwise 3 helicopters would be no match for IM...ie boring fight.

2. For all we know, the suits sealed in the vault weren't assembled until after the attack...they may have been designs saved in the database, and Jarvis put them together during the aftermath--there had to be a manufacturing facility somewhere on the property...underground seems plausible. Anyway, once the cranes arrived and removed the debris, Jarvis opened the doors and started the party.

3. The chest reactor's primary use is to keep shrapnel from entering Stark's heart, but you're right that it's also used to power the IM armor. The way the Mark 42 prototype was designed, it might have different power requirements. It seems to be able to repair itself when not directly connected to Tony's reactor, and that would require power too...not to mention flying individual pieces around.

Ultimately, the answer to your question, and pretty much every question ever asked about movies of this genre is this: To give the audience a sense of peril, and to do a lot of unnecessary or nonsensical stuff, only because it looks cool or it makes us laugh...name your favorite movie, I bet people can find a scene or two to ask "wtf?".../shrug
post #39 of 66
Quote:
3. The end credit is nothing special and it does not depict any hints to the upcoming Avengers 2 movie.
LOL! What does that have to do with the actual movie?
post #40 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Steffek View Post

Just a few more reasons this is a movie for brain dead people.

You know, it's fun to have a conversation, arguing about movies and stuff, but the moment said conversation takes this direction, the fun's gone.
post #41 of 66
Ag
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

You know, it's fun to have a conversation, arguing about movies and stuff, but the moment said conversation takes this direction, the fun's gone.

Agreed.

To add to the previous thought, I'll offer that Stark was wearing/using/testing the 42 against the helicopter attack. He's not Mr. Fantastic that tests his theories to infinitum before application. Stark is gonna go straight to application because he's so cocky...and good. He never expected an attack like that and once it began he was caught off guard and furthermore was focused on Pepper and likely figured he could handle a couple of helicopters rather easily.
post #42 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

You know, it's fun to have a conversation, arguing about movies and stuff, but the moment said conversation takes this direction, the fun's gone.

I agree
post #43 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

You know, it's fun to have a conversation, arguing about movies and stuff, but the moment said conversation takes this direction, the fun's gone.

+1

It's why I stop participating in threads. You can't debate with people like this.
post #44 of 66
Someone mentioned that (I think) Tony called the Avengers or referenced it toward the end of the movie. If so, I missed it. Can anyone confirm this and when it happened?
post #45 of 66
Just saw it. It was... boring. Iron Man, without the metal guy. And obviously the mandarin thing was absurd. I guessed it as soon as we saw him get out of the limo.

Anyway... I don't even have the energy to discuss this. I just felt it kinda laid there. Like that drunk blonde I had in Miami. wink.gif
post #46 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

You know, it's fun to have a conversation, arguing about movies and stuff, but the moment said conversation takes this direction, the fun's gone.

Face it, the people who liked the movie were little kids or people who have a lower IQ and couldn't see the huge holes in the story. I am sorry if this offended you but in no way should anyone like this movie for the story or the writing. If you want to say the sound and special effects were great I can live with that, but please don't say the movie was great because it is a huge let down compared to other movies Marvel has done. This is not a personal attack, it is just a fact that Iron Man 3 is a crap movie in the same way Battleship is a bad movie.
post #47 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Steffek View Post

This is not a personal attack

I know, I didn't take it personally ; was just saying - these things tend to snowball quite fast...
post #48 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Steffek View Post

Face it, the people who liked the movie were little kids or people who have a lower IQ and couldn't see the huge holes in the story. I am sorry if this offended you but in no way should anyone like this movie for the story or the writing. If you want to say the sound and special effects were great I can live with that, but please don't say the movie was great because it is a huge let down compared to other movies Marvel has done. This is not a personal attack, it is just a fact that Iron Man 3 is a crap movie in the same way Battleship is a bad movie.

Anyone who lumps Battleship and IM3 together are utter idiots. This is not a personal attack, simply a fact.
post #49 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

Anyone who lumps Battleship and IM3 together are utter idiots. This is not a personal attack, simply a fact.

The story quality were the same. Horrible.
post #50 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Steffek View Post

The story quality were the same. Horrible.

That's your opinion, which you're entitled to.
post #51 of 66
Comingsoon.net just released 3 reviews. 2 from Chitwood and Douglas gave it 8/10 and some new cat Perry gave it a 9/10.
I'm not worried one bit now, I trust coming soon, they have a good track record with me.

It's one thing to hate a movie, beat it down..which y'all know I do quite a bit. BUT I make it clear that's its only MY opinion but I will never try to make others agree with me or put them down for feeling so. In fact, it makes me happy if someone else was able to get something out of it.
post #52 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

It's one thing to hate a movie, beat it down..which y'all know I do quite a bit. BUT I make it clear that's its only MY opinion but I will never try to make others agree with me or put them down for feeling so. In fact, it makes me happy if someone else was able to get something out of it.

The problem comes into play when the story has such huge holes in it that the entire movie is ruined because of it and can not be enjoyed because of it. As stated earlier, if you can turn your brain off, and know going in it will be the same brain dead movie as Battleship, then you will enjoy it. If you want a quality movie that Marvel is supposed to be known for, you will leave disappointed.
post #53 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Steffek View Post

The problem comes into play when the story has such huge holes in it that the entire movie is ruined because of it and can not be enjoyed because of it. As stated earlier, if you can turn your brain off, and know going in it will be the same brain dead movie as Battleship, then you will enjoy it. If you want a quality movie that Marvel is supposed to be known for, you will leave disappointed.
stop comparing Iron Man 3 to Battleship, these two movies have nothing in common. My IQ is more than fine, I hated Battleship, and I loved Iron Man 3. Why? mainly because of Robert Downey Jr, because of his chemistry with Gwyneth Paltrow, because of their love story (yeah I'm a wuss what can I do? wink.gif) because of the exciting action scenes, because it made me forget a lot of things that I despise in my life right now, because I had a good time watching the movie, because I like these characters, I could go on... There are a lot of reasons why one would enjoy a movie and one other would not. Anyways, the movie didn't work for you, I kinda get that wink.gif
post #54 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

Comingsoon.net just released 3 reviews. 2 from Chitwood and Douglas gave it 8/10 and some new cat Perry gave it a 9/10.
I'm not worried one bit now, I trust coming soon, they have a good track record with me.

It's one thing to hate a movie, beat it down..which y'all know I do quite a bit. BUT I make it clear that's its only MY opinion but I will never try to make others agree with me or put them down for feeling so. In fact, it makes me happy if someone else was able to get something out of it.

I'm willing to bet that you'll like it zoey, don't listen to Neal smile.giftongue.gif
post #55 of 66
When are you going to watch it Zoey?
post #56 of 66
Neal...you say it's not a personal attack yet you state people with lower IQ's like this movie. Face it...something is wrong with you. Not because you like or dislike this or any movie for that matter. But because you've simply crossed a line. And somehow I don't think that's jus my humble opinion. While you may be able to judge a movie it is impossible to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't like let alone why. People who make personal insults like you really make it less enjoyable here. Regardless of your IQ at the end of the day you're nothing but a bully. So while you recommend Iron Man 3 for children and the lesser intelligent. I recommend any further comment by you be ignored because its simply not welcome.
post #57 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

When are you going to watch it Zoey?
You know me amigo..NF is my best friend as I never go to the local cine plex. I'm too old that sh$t. I did venture out to Prometheus though but it's rare. this has been my routine for so long now It's gotten to a point where I love it when I wait and wait then it finally comes in the mailbox and I'm like a kid at Xmas time esp with the big ones like today's Jack reacher for instance or sometimes it's a big sad dud like Ghost Protocol. But most of the time it's so worth the wait

I know I'll like it Morph, 1 thing I know for sure is they''ll always be nut crackers for every film no matter how good it is. Look @ Prometheus, I'm clueless as how anyone cannot find something awesome about that grand epic production but they do somehow. Despite the millions of good things in it, they'll nitpick on 1 thing like some dumb scientist that found a snake charming, or how she's able to run around after giving birth. Ever heard of adrenalin smarty pants?
post #58 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

Neal...you say it's not a personal attack yet you state people with lower IQ's like this movie. Face it...something is wrong with you. Not because you like or dislike this or any movie for that matter. But because you've simply crossed a line. And somehow I don't think that's jus my humble opinion. While you may be able to judge a movie it is impossible to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't like let alone why. People who make personal insults like you really make it less enjoyable here. Regardless of your IQ at the end of the day you're nothing but a bully. So while you recommend Iron Man 3 for children and the lesser intelligent. I recommend any further comment by you be ignored because its simply not welcome.

Don't take it as an attack, there are some movies where I go into it knowing I have to dumb myself down to enjoy it. Take the Fast and Furious movies as an example. We know its nothing but mindless action but people like them anyways. (myself included) But the problem is with the Iron Man movies we expect better, we expect more. So when IM3 comes out we see it and we at the minimum want the story to make sense but it falls all over itself. That is the biggest reason so many of us movie lovers feel we were kicked in the nuts by Marvel this outing.
post #59 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Steffek View Post

Don't take it as an attack, there are some movies where I go into it knowing I have to dumb myself down to enjoy it. Take the Fast and Furious movies as an example. We know its nothing but mindless action but people like them anyways. (myself included) But the problem is with the Iron Man movies we expect better, we expect more. So when IM3 comes out we see it and we at the minimum want the story to make sense but it falls all over itself. That is the biggest reason so many of us movie lovers feel we were kicked in the nuts by Marvel this outing.

Why did you want/expect more than "The Fast and the Furious"? have you not seen a superhero flick before? Ever read comic books?...I can pick holes in all of it, including Iron Man 1, 2, and now 3--hey, there's an intruder in your garage?...sure kid, grab a potato gun instead of calling the cops, or your mom--makes complete sense...THIS MOVIE IS GARBAGE!!!...and yet, hilarious and fun to watch--darn it, I like garbage?

We all have a threshold, IM3 didn't cross mine...if you ever get the chance to watch the series "Falling Skies" season 1...that show took my threshold and tore it a new one lol
post #60 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

You know me amigo..NF is my best friend as I never go to the local cine plex. I'm too old that sh$t. I did venture out to Prometheus though but it's rare. this has been my routine for so long now It's gotten to a point where I love it when I wait and wait then it finally comes in the mailbox and I'm like a kid at Xmas time esp with the big ones like today's Jack reacher for instance or sometimes it's a big sad dud like Ghost Protocol. But most of the time it's so worth the wait

Well I will be looking forward to read your impressions on it. Im sure the Iron Man BD thread will fire up again smile.gif

You are not going to the Cinemas to watch Superman??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › Iron Man 3 is a disappointment (SPOILER ALERT !!! )