or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › PNxxF5500 owners thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PNxxF5500 owners thread - Page 13

post #361 of 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Have you read the reviews of the 5500 and S60 sets on CNET?


Ian
Have and they tend to cater to the videophile who loves a dark TV aka Panny's.
post #362 of 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicFlair View Post

Have and they tend to cater to the videophile who loves a dark TV aka Panny's.


Most experts recommend PDP's for the best PQ and value. The top rated sets by CNET, Review.Com, Home Theater, Sound & Vision (before the merger with HT) among others, were the Samsung 8500 and Panasonic ST/VT/ZT series. All plasmas. If you read the CNET review of the 5500, although they claimed it's a pretty good set in terms of over all PQ, it didn't get very high marks in panel brightness or color accuracy.


Ian
Edited by mailiang - 10/23/13 at 9:36pm
post #363 of 702
Is anyone able to help me out with some good settings, very new to changing the settings apart from the stock 3,

I have a PS64F5500, not sure if the N is american and S australian?
post #364 of 702
Also a tip for others to check hours

1. Switch on the power to the TV and let it be in the standby mode. Do not turn on the TV.

2. Pick up the remote control, and quickly press the following buttons in sequence:

Info -> Menu -> Mute -> Power.

3. You must be fast enough to press the magic sequence to enter the technical calibration menu screen, or else you will just end up switching on to the normal TV channel.

4. I think its 3rd or 4th option from the bottom, Select it (can confirm option tonight if needed)

5. Hours will be shown

6. Turn TV off so no changes are made etc
post #365 of 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzrbenson View Post

Also a tip for others to check hours

1. Switch on the power to the TV and let it be in the standby mode. Do not turn on the TV.

2. Pick up the remote control, and quickly press the following buttons in sequence:

Info -> Menu -> Mute -> Power.

3. You must be fast enough to press the magic sequence to enter the technical calibration menu screen, or else you will just end up switching on to the normal TV channel.

4. I think its 3rd or 4th option from the bottom, Select it (can confirm option tonight if needed)

5. Hours will be shown

6. Turn TV off so no changes are made etc

There's no info and mute on the touch remote!
post #366 of 702
The mute button is on the left side of the touch remote, or at least it is on mine.

Still trying to figure out how to find the total hours though.
post #367 of 702
hmm, I got 2 remotes with mine,

Will clarify the exact options but its 3rd or 4th from bottom I think, once in Service Menu
post #368 of 702
My tv came only with the touch remote. I programmed a universal remote for testing. Briefly tested this sequence, and others, none of them worked.

@ dzrbenson, can you tell what the remote's model number is?

Also, I've tried finding the "service manual" with no avail. I even requested one directly from one of the online manual places and according to them they can't locate one either. Anyone have one?
post #369 of 702
Have any of you 60 inch owners noticed the Pentile display being a problem ?
post #370 of 702
The 2 I got were


TM1360A / TM1240A

http://www.remote-control-shop.eu/en/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/Samsung__AA59_00_51828b68393ca.jpg
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDYwMw==/z/82AAAOxyGqZSZ5D5/$T2eC16FHJGwFFZTZmNl3BSZ5D4uGrw~~60_3.JPG

Also try these
http://factory-reset.com/wiki/Samsung_Service_Menu
post #371 of 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicFlair View Post

Have any of you 60 inch owners noticed the Pentile display being a problem ?

I've had this for about a week. My answer: nope

 

 

I love this TV, and I say this as a techno-enthusaist who was paranoid about the pentile thing. Anyways, here is what I posted in another thread:

 

 

"I bought this recently, started researching it, and became very concerned that the pentile display would ruin it. I even went back to the store to examine it. I was prepared to cancel my order and go with the ST60. I decided not to though. At the store I thought maybe I could notice it at what I thought would be normal viewing distance. However in a display wall it's impossible to get a feel for the real display. Nothing immediately jumped out at me so I shrugged and let the order stay.

 

It arrived late last week, I've now watched TV content on it, xbox games, and blu rays. This TV is magnificent. We came from a 720p mid-tier LG, so maybe I don't know what good plasma actually is, but this is just amazing to my eyes. So sharp and incredibly crisp. The colours are so rich, and there is no pentile grid effect. I'll repeat for emphasis; there is zero noticeable grid effect. We sit about 8-10' away, and every colour in the spectrum is as solid as ever.

 

However, I do notice that solid white colours aren't quite as bright as I would prefer. However I'm not sure if this is a pentile problem or just the way it is. Now, solid white still looks clean and bright enough, just not quite as bright as I think would be perfectly ideal.

 

Aside from that, I am loving this television, and am glad I went with it. No regrets on my part whatsoever. And you cannot beat the price. We paid about $1100 CAD.

 

And now I learn that had I gone for the ST60, input lag would've been greater for playing xbox. So that's a bonus with staying with the F5500.

 

Anyways, just my two cents."

post #372 of 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicFlair View Post

Have any of you 60 inch owners noticed the Pentile display being a problem ?

I don't believe is a problem but being truthful it is noticeable from a short distance and under very even patterns (material). I would say at 1 feet and under non regular viewing material, otherwise PQ is impressive.

I have discover some things that might not be noticeable to everyone, but having some OCD nature, I see it. Would rather not discussed these yet until I do a full calibration of the display. Nevertheless overall its a great TV.

Also, firmware 1115 was just installed -- I see not changes on PQ.
post #373 of 702
since none of these stock ill ask here. can you compare the 'glare screen' of my 57 inch hitachi RPTV to the glare on the f5500 (64 inch). i have a single lite that is next to the sofa but the light itself isnt really visible in my current tv but yea you can see your reflection when it's a dark screen

edit: this is my 1st time getting any more recent technology and i know this isnt the 100% best tv out there but for the price it seems ok. my room is north facing and even though i have a 13 ft window, the blinds are never 'facing' the tv. i can definitely deal with the lighting i have in the living room relating to the hitachi, so if its better or the same, i think i'd be happy.

also if you have any other warnings about the old tv vs this new id be all ears
Edited by newsposter - 10/30/13 at 9:44am
post #374 of 702
Hey fellas, how about icehockey issues on last fm updates? Waiting for deliver and very nerves about that cuz watch hockey every day.
post #375 of 702
^^^

I'll try tuning a game to check it out.

FYI -- new frimware 1116.
post #376 of 702
A ny news for me?smile.gif thanks for help anyway
post #377 of 702
Does anyone know if there are discrete IR codes for the PIP functions? It is a royal pain going thru the menus to turn PIP on and off and PIP channel changes.
post #378 of 702

Does anyone know how to disengage the remote from controlling the satellite box? I set it up, but realized now that when you turn the TV off, it also turns off the cable box. Not what I want as it won't DVR my shows if it's off.

 

I tried unplugging the IR extender, still works.

I tried re-running "setup", and told it my cable box wasn't listed. However it still works.

 

Any ideas?

post #379 of 702
^^^

I remember reading how to do it on the F8500 thread, I had the same problem when the HDMI lost connectivity the announcement for HDMI connectivity came up, drive me crazy. There is a way to getting rid of that announcement. I briefly looked for it but could not find it. I'm certain is on one of the F8500 threads. I'll look for it when I have more time and post it here for reference.
post #380 of 702
In trying to play a video file from a USB thumb drive, I think I'm finding that the TV can't play video files >2GB in size, at least in the video format I'm using. When I split the file into <2GB chunks the chunks play fine. Anyone else seeing this? Is it true in all video formats?
post #381 of 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by superleo View Post

^^^

I remember reading how to do it on the F8500 thread, I had the same problem when the HDMI lost connectivity the announcement for HDMI connectivity came up, drive me crazy. There is a way to getting rid of that announcement. I briefly looked for it but could not find it. I'm certain is on one of the F8500 threads. I'll look for it when I have more time and post it here for reference.

 

Sweet thank you my friend. Please let me know if you find it.

post #382 of 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishkin View Post

In trying to play a video file from a USB thumb drive, I think I'm finding that the TV can't play video files >2GB in size, at least in the video format I'm using. When I split the file into <2GB chunks the chunks play fine. Anyone else seeing this? Is it true in all video formats?

 

I'll be honest I forgot all about that it can handle USB video. I haven't tried it myself, but will try tonight. I don't have any under 2gb, so I'll only be able to try bigger ones.

post #383 of 702
@ mishkin
Are you using the same thumb drive for the testing? or you're using a different drive with the files split. The reason I ask is because if you are using different drives might not be the issue with the size of the files but with the formatting used for the drives. Usually the drives need to be FAT32, otherwise the device won't read it.
post #384 of 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Carollo View Post

Is there any way to get rid of the error that pops up when you lose HDMI signal briefly? Having to switch my Harmony over to TV mode to just hit OK and make it go away is really annoying.


Quote:
You can also go -- Screen Menu > System > Device Manager > Universal Remote Setup

Highlight the STB press enter/ok and then just pick delete.

After you do, nothing on the TV remote related to the cable box will work any more but you have the Harmony. For me it was well worth the trade-off.

PS -- This fix was discoved by someone else on here I jsut can't remember who it credit.


Original link -- http://www.avsforum.com/t/1463454/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/9210#post_23875756
post #385 of 702

^ Amazing, many many thanks. Gonna try this tonight.

 

-edit-

 

This worked perfectly. I can't thank you enough. No more cable box shutting off when I power down the TV!


Edited by EchoOne30 - 11/6/13 at 7:00am
post #386 of 702
Have a 64" f5500 for sale upstate NY area
Upgraded to bigger screen only reason for selling. Only 3 months old. If interested please PM me.
Priced to sell
post #387 of 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishkin View Post

In trying to play a video file from a USB thumb drive, I think I'm finding that the TV can't play video files >2GB in size, at least in the video format I'm using. When I split the file into <2GB chunks the chunks play fine. Anyone else seeing this? Is it true in all video formats?

 

Ok I tried this last night. I have a 16gb drive formatted as NTFS, and my TV both read the USB, and played two xvid's just fine.

 

HOWEVER, one of them it was playing it out of sync (meanwhile it plays just fine in VLC), but the other worked perfectly. Both were under 4gb (-edit-, there were about 3GB each). This weekend I imagine I'll be trying larger file sizes, different types, etc. But I have a feeling it doesn't support MKV's.

post #388 of 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barry View Post

A ny news for me?smile.gif for help anyway

I haven't have the chance to tune in some hockey since we don't watch it. I've try for my son to at least watch some, but no interest. However, we were watching basketball last night -- San Antonio @ Denver. The Nuggets arena has a light colored floor, and guess what was happening. I've never noticed it with anything else before, but last night it was very noticeable. The dreaded hockey contrast flash. The way I can described it is a sudden changed in contrast (lower) level, then when it pans to closeups or somewhere other than full court view it would go to normal.

I went into the setting and turned off everything that had to do with black levels etc. I think it actually helped but did not go away. It would do it less but still had the behavior. Never seen this before.

After last night I can see where it can be extremely annoying, for hockey -- although no one of my family members mentioned anything. But yes, its there when the overall background its to bright.

Please Samsung fix this!!! To me should be simple turn off the code that does this!!! PLEASE!!! mad.gif
post #389 of 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by superleo View Post

@ mishkin
Are you using the same thumb drive for the testing? or you're using a different drive with the files split. The reason I ask is because if you are using different drives might not be the issue with the size of the files but with the formatting used for the drives. Usually the drives need to be FAT32, otherwise the device won't read it.
Yes, same thumb drive. And it's formatted as NTFS (because FAT32 doesn't support single files of a size >2GB).
post #390 of 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoOne30 View Post

Ok I tried this last night. I have a 16gb drive formatted as NTFS, and my TV both read the USB, and played two xvid's just fine.

HOWEVER, one of them it was playing it out of sync (meanwhile it plays just fine in VLC), but the other worked perfectly. Both were under 4gb (-edit-, there were about 3GB each). This weekend I imagine I'll be trying larger file sizes, different types, etc. But I have a feeling it doesn't support MKV's.

Thanks for running the experiment. Here's a bit more background on my situation: The media started off life as a .wtv file produced by Windows Media Center. It appears that the TV doesn't support this format so I converted it to a .mpg file using, um, a tool (a Java .jar file actually) I found on the Internet (remuxTool). I split the file using VideoReDo into multiple smaller (<2GB) .mpg files. All these files play find on my PC, of course. I copied the full .mpg file and the smaller .mpg files to the USB thumb drive. Only the smaller ones play.

When you say "played two xvid's just fine", do you mean files in the format described at xvid.org? I'm a bit hazy on the whole container/content format thing but I take it that xvid is (produces) a particular MPEG-4 format. My .mpg files are presumably MPEG-2 format, right? I guess I could try to transcode them to xvid but I assume that'd be slow and not something I'd want to have to do all the time. Any thoughts on all this?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › PNxxF5500 owners thread