or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Outlaw 975 or emotiva UMC 200 in my setup reccomendations.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Outlaw 975 or emotiva UMC 200 in my setup reccomendations.

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
I currently have the following setup:

Outlaw 990 pre/pro
Outlaw 7125 Amp
M&K S-150 THX L/R/C
M&K MX350 THX Sub
M&K SS-150 tripole surrounds
M&K Column Surround Rear dipole speakers

I have a small narrow basement room with low ceilings. I have sound treated walls. My current setup sounds good. I'm afraid I'm going to get the 975 and it's not going to sound as good as what I have now. I thought maybe the room correction of the emotiva might make a significant difference. I've never used anything like that with my 990. I'm leaning toward the Emotiva but I'm worried it's not going to work as well with my outlaw amp. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
post #2 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Meno View Post

I currently have the following setup:

Outlaw 990 pre/pro
Outlaw 7125 Amp
M&K S-150 THX L/R/C
M&K MX350 THX Sub
M&K SS-150 tripole surrounds
M&K Column Surround Rear dipole speakers

I have a small narrow basement room with low ceilings. I have sound treated walls. My current setup sounds good. I'm afraid I'm going to get the 975 and it's not going to sound as good as what I have now. I thought maybe the room correction of the emotiva might make a significant difference. I've never used anything like that with my 990. I'm leaning toward the Emotiva but I'm worried it's not going to work as well with my outlaw amp. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

What is lacking with the 990 that makes you want to change prepros? I would go with the UMC-200 over the 975 all day long. The UMC-200 has more features including Emo-Q and the PEQ that would allow manually tweaking your system. To me the 975 is very lacking in features.

Bill
post #3 of 15
I think I would agree with Bill on this. I would suggest however at the price you consider auditioning both. The 990 is a great unit, hard to beat except for modern features but for sound I found it very nice.
post #4 of 15
Another vote for the UMC-200.
post #5 of 15
What about the sherbourn receiver? That seems to be a great choice overall. You could probably sell your amp and get the 8100 for almost nothing. I would first make sure you like it. I am even thinking about trying it out because you can EQ ever speaker including subs without my DCX. Still, it will be hard for me to let go of my current gear.
post #6 of 15
One thing though, the Emotiva room correction is garbage next to Audyssey. Personally I'd pick neither and get an AVR which will run circles around both of them.
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

One thing though, the Emotiva room correction is garbage next to Audyssey. Personally I'd pick neither and get an AVR which will run circles around both of them.

I disagree to an extent. Most AVRs are a series of compromises unless you get the flagship models. Dedicated pre-pros will usually have better internal wiring and capacitors which make a difference. Seoerates are almost always better. Now Emo-Q could b worse than Audyessey but you won't know until you compare it in your own system.

If I were the OP I'd audition the Emitiva first than send it back if its not an improvment.
post #8 of 15
Fair enough, but a 600 processor is also a series of compromises. The Emo-Q track record speaks for itself, and it ain't pretty.
post #9 of 15
So....after you tried EmoQ you didn't care for it?
post #10 of 15
EmoQ worked better for me than Audyssey XT, but everyone's experience is different. Another option is a used or refurb Marantz AV7005. It's not much more than an Emo or Outlaw, and there isn't much of a difference between the AV7005 and the AV7701 that replaced it. I'd say try the Emo. If you don't like it, send it back and get the Marantz.
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

I disagree to an extent. Most AVRs are a series of compromises unless you get the flagship models. Dedicated pre-pros will usually have better internal wiring and capacitors which make a difference. Seoerates are almost always better. Now Emo-Q could b worse than Audyessey but you won't know until you compare it in your own system.

I have seen a number of similar posts like these where it is stated that AVRs (used as prepros) are compromises when compared to dedicated prepros. But do those compromises equate to actual audible SQ differences?

Bill
post #12 of 15
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the replies guys!

I don't want to go back to a reciever. I went from a pioneer elite reciever to the outlaw seperates totally blew my reciever away when it comes to sound quality. pti

The reason I'm interested in upgrading from my 990 is that I would like to upgrade to a 3d projector. The 990s biggest drawback is the lack of HDMI. I still get great results from DVI and optical digital cables but it doesn't work for 3d.

The only other option is to get an Oppo blu-ray player and run audio direct to the outlaw and video direct to my PJ.

IDK what to do at this point.
post #13 of 15
For what you can get an onkyo 818 for it would be better than either one I think. And. You can still use your amp
Allen
post #14 of 15
By now you've probably read every forum and pro review, and their reader-comments, for both units. If the obvious diffs between the two are not show stoppers, the biggest diffs between them as I see it (and nobody's talking about) are:

o Audio DAC: 975's truncation of 192k digital signals down to 96k for processing. For audiophiles with their entire collection ripped to a lossless format this should be a huge consideration. This is what the Emo sales person explained to me. (If this is not true, or it's a sales ploy capitalizing on a technicality w/ no downside - I want to know about it!)

o Emo's lack of HD video up scaling. This is a pretty big difference between the two and could be very important to some.

I've read that the 975 is warmer sounding than the umc-200; or, perhaps the much-200 is more revealing?
post #15 of 15
i replaced a 990 with the UMC 200, and have to say the improvement was startling to me... i'm a bit older and the new "clarity" is definitive and welcome. Didnt try the 975, so cant comment if it would have helped also... Emotive support was excellent, but the Outlaw support when i bought the 990 was excellent also... as an aside i had a guy (14 years experience) from a local "high end" audio shop installing in wall / ceiling B&W speakers in my home, and we did a little A/B comparison on the UMC - and he was stunned at the performance of the UMC200... esp at the price point..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Outlaw 975 or emotiva UMC 200 in my setup reccomendations.