or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › “Home Theater” vs “Business” Projectors - help deciding?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

“Home Theater” vs “Business” Projectors - help deciding?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forums here. I've visited AVS often in researching tech, but projectors are a new subject to me and I am finding I have a lot of questions.

Today I want to ask: Is there really a noticeable difference at the low end?

Features aside, is there any reason to stick with the “Home Theater” class?

I am looking to replace an older projector, Toshiba TDP-MT200 (native 854x480). I have only been using it for a few months as it came with the house we recently bought and everything was set up to go (sans AV receiver which was bought on boxing day). This was my first experience with a projector set up but now my family and I are hooked!

I think this thing was left behind because it seems to be on its last legs. It was fine at first (with low light) and still has very nice colour and a sharp picture for the resolution. It seems to have picked up a “flicker” at start up now though so I worry the lamp is going.

Anyhow, I am thinking about replacing it. I will be buying a “budget” replacement and I have noticed there are often better deals on projectors labeled as “business/data/education” projectors vs. “home theater” projectors. I have asked around at local electronics shops and googled the topic to death and I cannot find a specific answer to what the difference is.

So…

At the “low-end” (examples to follow) is there any real difference between the projector categories? If so, what?

Is it the “rainbow effect” that is different, and what specs should I look at to tell the difference?

Room/set up:
- painted white (everything)
- screen is actually a painted wall (steps from this article: http://www.projectorcentral.com/paint_perfect_screen_$100.htm)
- projector is 13’ 5” from the screen
- a lot of ambient light most of the time (basement room with a window)

Uses:
- TV and Movies
- Sports
- maybe gaming (if I end up with 1080p)

I will be restricting my search to 16:9 or 16:10 and though I would prefer 1080p, I think realistically my budget will have to make do with 720p.

Here are some examples of the units I am looking at:
“Home Theater:”
Epson PowerLite 710HD - $650
Optoma HD20 - $699
BenQ EP5920 - $799
Benq W1070 - $999

“Data”:
BenQ MW519 - $499
Epson EX7210 - $699

(all price are Canadian)

PS> Is there any particular online store in the US that I should check for good deals? I'm close enough tot the border to have it delivered to a pick up location.
post #2 of 12
Thread Starter 
I wanted to add some other "data" examples I just found:

InFocus IN116 - $450
Optoma ML300 -$450
EPSON VS315W (V11H431020)- $510

Sorry for the second post.
post #3 of 12
post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 

Good article, and thank you. Reading this, I think my key question is really:

How do I know how well a projector will handle video?

The article above only says:
"Similarly, the projector's ability to present smooth, video playback with no added motion artifacts, when presenting fast action sports and movie scenes, is of prime importance only in home entertainment application."

It doesn't provide any reason why or what specs to look for.
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsponholz View Post

Good article, and thank you. Reading this, I think my key question is really:

How do I know how well a projector will handle video?

The article above only says:
"Similarly, the projector's ability to present smooth, video playback with no added motion artifacts, when presenting fast action sports and movie scenes, is of prime importance only in home entertainment application."

It doesn't provide any reason why or what specs to look for.

When you head down into a budget range of ~$500 you're not going to get a lot of input here especially if you're considering a business type projector. So you're not likely to find the quality guarantees and features you may be looking for. RBE may or may not be a factor for you it's an individual thing. That said you may find the ongoing thread on the Viewsonic PJD5533w (~$500) interesting. If you want additional information on the Viewsonic you could send the OP a personal message.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465162/anyone-bought-and-tried-the-new-viewsonic-pjd5533w
post #6 of 12
Someone in the Benq W1070 owner thread mention starting mid June, Costco Canada is selling the W1070 with $200 discount and it comes with 2 pairs 3D glasses. I would buy that in a heart beat.
post #7 of 12
Business projectors have clear segments in color wheel to boost lumens. I hate the way they look myself.
post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post

Business projectors have clear segments in color wheel to boost lumens. I hate the way they look myself.

Thank you. That's the first time I've heard a clear difference. It's one thing to hear there is a difference and another to know why.

Other than how they are marketed, is there any way to see that on the specs list? I guess one should look for (and avoid) very high lumen counts on what otherwise seems a lower end projector.
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsponholz View Post

Thank you. That's the first time I've heard a clear difference. It's one thing to hear there is a difference and another to know why.

Other than how they are marketed, is there any way to see that on the specs list? I guess one should look for (and avoid) very high lumen counts on what otherwise seems a lower end projector.

Usually in detailed specs you can find color wheel speed and segments. Stay away from any with a W or white. It's designed for PowerPoint.
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post

Stay away from any with a W or white. It's designed for PowerPoint.
Acer uses a RGBCYW color wheel even in their home theater projectors.
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiggUA View Post

Acer uses a RGBCYW color wheel even in their home theater projectors.

That's awful. Do they actually market any of them as being serious home theater projectors though?
post #12 of 12
Acer does not get bad reviews. Some models are really popular. As I know it from older projectors: The white segment is not activated in Cinema or Dark Cinema mode, bad only in the bright modes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › “Home Theater” vs “Business” Projectors - help deciding?