or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › JACK REACHER - reaches into your player and disables it
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JACK REACHER - reaches into your player and disables it - Page 2

post #31 of 59
I can honestly say that while I've rented a few titles I saw in the previews, I've never bought a single one based on them.

So, while I watched some of those advertised titles, the studio made zero money off me for their efforts.
post #32 of 59
Redbox rental here. No intro material at all. Fast loading. OPPO BDP-103 with BD-Live turned off.

The main menu just has Play, Setup, Chapters, so I presume it is a rental version.

-Bill
post #33 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Redbox rental here. No intro material at all. Fast loading. OPPO BDP-103 with BD-Live turned off.

The main menu just has Play, Setup, Chapters, so I presume it is a rental version.

-Bill

Interesting that Redbox has a rental version but Netflix apparently has the retail version.
post #34 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Interesting that Redbox has a rental version but Netflix apparently has the retail version.
I rented the it from Redbox and it's the retail version.
Went straight to the menu in 30 seconds of loading disc on Panasonic BDT210 with network cable unplugged.

I wonder if previews/extras require a network connection to download/view.
post #35 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Interesting that Redbox has a rental version but Netflix apparently has the retail version.


I got the retail version from my local Redbox.
post #36 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

I wonder if previews/extras require a network connection to download/view.
How else would the disc "download" them?
In theory, if you enable BD-Live, the BDA members are collecting your viewing habits. Some BD discs are supposed to download previews, usually without asking. In theory, the previews you get may be based on your past viewing habits. This is one of the REAL reasons that BD-Live was created in the first place. In any case, BD-Live turned off or no network connection should result in the disc skipping over that part.
post #37 of 59
Gotta love marketing people. Guess it works for the majority of viewers to be forced into trailers? Personally it just pisses me off and makes me want to find said marketing people and torture them in devious ways.
post #38 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Gotta love marketing people. Guess it works for the majority of viewers to be forced into trailers? Personally it just pisses me off and makes me want to find said marketing people and torture them in devious ways.

BD Live use to a big deal because it was so hyped. Not too long after, I simply disabled it.
post #39 of 59
Interesting conversation. I'm not annoyed by trailers, but I do appreciate being able to skip them (and I've never encountered a title that wouldn't let me skip. Usually not fast forward, but skip yes). I have to agree that renting discs is pretty cheap, and it's hard to complain about it. I do get annoyed with the notion that the audio soundtrack might be degraded in a rental -- that's a low blow. But let's not forget who spent time and money to create the content. We buy it and use it on their terms. If we don't like the terms, we don't buy/use it. If their terms get sufficiently restrictive, their business will fall and they will be compelled to change how they do things.

Anyway, I watched Jack Reacher rented from Redbox a couple of nights ago on a Samsung BDP-1500 (of 2009 vintage), while not connected to the internet. It went straight to the menu, and the audio options in it said that the soundtrack was a DTS Master Audio 7.1 track. I did not verify that this was the case, but that's what it said.
post #40 of 59
Hmm, I'll have to check this out. I bought the blu ray version and watched it last night with a buddy. I normally don't sit through previews, but he wanted to since that's generally the only way he hears about new movies. So, unlike others, my copy didn't jump right to the menu and I didn't bother to try and fast forward or skip them. I'll try soon, though, as I really liked this movie. It's definitely worthy of a purchase IMHO. I thought the audio was actually pretty fantastic (car chase scene - wow!), while the video was just really good but not great. Apparently this is the opposite of what reviewers have found, but meh.
post #41 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeeler10 View Post

Anyway, I watched Jack Reacher rented from Redbox a couple of nights ago on a Samsung BDP-1500 (of 2009 vintage), while not connected to the internet. It went straight to the menu, and the audio options in it said that the soundtrack was a DTS Master Audio 7.1 track. I did not verify that this was the case, but that's what it said.

I rented Jack Reacher from Netflix and had the same results. Went right to menu. No trailers and my BD player is connected to the internet. It did play DTS MA 7.1 on my AVR.


Ian wink.gif
post #42 of 59
I forgot to mention in my post above, I have BDLive turned off on my machine and the disc went straight to the menu. It surprised the hell out of me since I'm so used to having to do all kinds of crazy stuff to get Sony, Lionsgate, Fox and a few other company's discs to get to the menu. At least Disney still gives the whole "press menu to skip the previews" message so, while they play automatically, at least it's generally one button to get past them.
post #43 of 59
Using an Oppo BDP-83 with BDLive off my Netflix rental went straight to the menu. Using a PS3 fat launch model with BDLive on it looked like there was 2 promos but I was able to skip past them by hitting the Next button on the remote.
post #44 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

BD Live use to a big deal because it was so hyped. Not too long after, I simply disabled it.
Disabled it on my players from the get-go.wink.gif
post #45 of 59
Great purchase. Really enjoyed the movie and the PQ and AQ were demo. Nice to see Paramount letting us go right to the menu and not have to endure endless previews. Are you listening Disney and Lionsgate???
post #46 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer6871 View Post

Great purchase. Really enjoyed the movie and the PQ and AQ were demo. Nice to see Paramount letting us go right to the menu and not have to endure endless previews. Are you listening Disney and Lionsgate???


Now if they had only provided some decent LFE.



Ian
post #47 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Now if they had only provided some decent LFE.



Ian

plenty of LFE here, i felt like i was in the chevy!confused.gif
post #48 of 59
I actually had not considered the super cheap rental factor of the ‘forced’ previews. I don’t so much mind the previews (the BD Live feature of fresh content is actually sort of cool – I presume that is what I am seeing oftentimes), but if I have to stop the movie and pick it up later and watch them all each time (or be forced to try to skip them) – then it irritates me.

If my player has a way to resume at a bookmark I created previously without being forced to try to skip the previews manually – then I haven’t figured it out yet. They are pretty stubborn about making you watch them every time from my experience.
post #49 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

How else would the disc "download" them?
In theory, if you enable BD-Live, the BDA members are collecting your viewing habits. Some BD discs are supposed to download previews, usually without asking. In theory, the previews you get may be based on your past viewing habits. This is one of the REAL reasons that BD-Live was created in the first place. In any case, BD-Live turned off or no network connection should result in the disc skipping over that part.

I’ll have to keep this in mind – the new factor of it is sort of cool to me, but as I posted previously; the repeats of forced previews can be annoying. I have to admit that originally when I discovered going through the trouble of inserting a SD card to enable BD Live to see what it was about netted ‘previews’ for the most part – I thought of the Christmas Story “Drink More Ovaltine” scene.

I’m still enjoying them for the time being though; discover something new maybe I haven’t thought of seeing, etc.
post #50 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjvader View Post

plenty of LFE here, i felt like i was in the chevy!confused.gif

That may be so, but there was no real deep bass to speak of in this movie.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1333462/the-new-master-list-of-bass-in-movies-with-frequency-charts/8100_50#post_23315458


Ian
Edited by mailiang - 5/15/13 at 11:44am
post #51 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

What planet are you living on? You are forced to pay taxes but not forced to buy luxury items such as high definition Blu Ray discs. The way to avoid the inconvenience of commercials is to buy the disc or simply put up with it while you pay a low price to rent. You chose to rent a disc from Red Box, you paid $1.50 to watch this $25 Blu Ray and you have the nerve to complain?? This is precisely what's wrong in our 'entitled' society - you can't have it both ways...

Does the same issue still happen with retail BDs? If so then I can definitely see a double standard here by the studios. I don't remember any recent discs that have had that sort of control over the player but I know I've dealt with some in the past.
post #52 of 59
redboxed this last night. horrible film

took 4 attempts before i could finally get it to load, but played without issues thereafter.
post #53 of 59
Redboxed it too, must've been the retail version because it loaded in about 15 seconds with no trailers. Also had DTS-HD MA.
post #54 of 59
Funny thread.
Sometimes I think we at AVS, ( I say we because I'm guilty as well) take things a little too seriously. Two pages devoted to whether or not you get trailers? On one particular movie?

I have to admit I laughed out loud when I read someone made popcorn and nachos in the bathroom. I got a vision of the microwave on the back of the toilet and a toothpaste/popcorn dispenser on the counter. True AVS high tech!

I purchased Jack Reacher but back in the day when I was really collecting I frequently would rent before buying.

My rule is if you are going to see it more than once, might as well buy it!

Frankly I loved the movie but don't remember if there were trailers.

Is something wrong with me?
post #55 of 59
Personally, I don't care so much about trailers. Sometimes I'm in the mood to watch them, sometimes I'm not. It's weird with this movie because I watched it the first time and there were like 5 trailers. The second time there were three. I only got through part of it, so I planned on watching the last part the next night. When I went to load it up, it started up from the beginning again and this time there was only one trailer before going to the main menu. Next time no trailers? I'll have to see.
post #56 of 59
I wonder if it is playing trailers off the disc, or running out to the internet to load up trailers via a BD-Live connection.
post #57 of 59
I picked this up from Redbox yesterday and watched it on my PS3 with internet connection. When the first trailer started, I successfully skipped to the main menu (rental version) and started up the movie with no problem.
post #58 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantchicken View Post

I picked this up from Redbox yesterday and watched it on my PS3 with internet connection. When the first trailer started, I successfully skipped to the main menu (rental version) and started up the movie with no problem.
confused.gif

Was it labeled as a rental disc? I'm am trying to understand as to why some like mine went right to the set up menu and others started with trailers.



Ian
post #59 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

confused.gif

Was it labeled as a rental disc? I'm am trying to understand as to why some like mine went right to the set up menu and others started with trailers.



Ian

One way to check...is the Tom Cruise commentary (and other extras) included? If so, it's the retail version. If not, it's the rental
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › JACK REACHER - reaches into your player and disables it