or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'Under the Dome' on CBS HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'Under the Dome' on CBS HD - Page 41

post #1201 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

This could have been a new kind of television from the broadcast dinosaurs - the closed-ended midi-series, that would add to the variety of the TV landscape.

 

Other than in rare cases I think this desire to end things is silly. It's like saying you'll eat ice cream for two months and then quit. If you enjoy a show (I find the fact it will prematurely die not inherently improving it in and of itself). Of course there are exceptions like Hannibal which would have been better served by quickly reaching its dramatic conclusion as its more story driven than character (for me).

 

Take a show like The Good Wife and it matures like fine wine. Only getting better year after year. This so called new kind of television closed-ended midi-series has been going on since TV was invented. Rich Man, Poor Man is a perfect example from 1976 with Roots following the next year (if I remember correctly). This year you have Hostages among others I'm sure.

post #1202 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Take a show like The Good Wife and it matures like fine wine. Only getting better year after year.

The Good Wife is a drama/soap with an open premise that is based around the characters interacting and not a specific high-concept storyline. It's not even remotely comparable. If The Good Wife started as a show in which Alicia was a lawyer on one unsolved case then it would be fairly ridiculous if that was the main story on the show 4 years later. And still unresolved. How many main storylines has Good Wife covered so far? How many times has the firm been bought and sold? How many partners have come and gone? How many cases has she gone through? How many scandals?

The fact is the vast majority of high-concept shows never play to the nature of the story and instead regurgitate the same thing ad nauseam until the plots repeat, the characters never grow and the show goes nowhere. Will this series expand to reveal the effect that a space dome of undetermined origin has on a global scale or will it just keep repeating the ridiculous theatrics of a limited set of bland characters trapped in a bubble with a story that can go nowhere until they are all dead? Most likely the latter.

A good story always has a beginning, middle and an end. Without the last part you get either a daytime soap or Jason vs Freddy Pt. 12. In terms of ongoing ideas, it's go big or go home. Writing a world in a tiny bubble of reality leads to nothing in the long term except repetition and unrealistic characters.

And Hostages? The Dome got to that and it too will now be dragged out year on year.
post #1203 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Other than in rare cases I think this desire to end things is silly. It's like saying you'll eat ice cream for two months and then quit. If you enjoy a show (I find the fact it will prematurely die not inherently improving it in and of itself). Of course there are exceptions like Hannibal which would have been better served by quickly reaching its dramatic conclusion as its more story driven than character (for me).

Take a show like The Good Wife and it matures like fine wine. Only getting better year after year. This so called new kind of television closed-ended midi-series has been going on since TV was invented. Rich Man, Poor Man is a perfect example from 1976 with Roots following the next year (if I remember correctly). This year you have Hostages among others I'm sure.

Huh? confused.gif With the exception of a few PBS series made in the UK, where the concept of the midi-series is alive and well, it's never done over here. Not in many years, since the golden age of mini-series ended (like 'Roots', 'Shogun', etc.). Even 'Hostages' which you mention, originally conceived to be a one-and-done series in the UK mold, is now slated to be open-ended. Which is why I'm skipping it.

For every show that actually improves years to year, like 'The Good Wife' (disclaimer: I've never seen it but I've read the accolades), there are many more that get bogged down in their own ponderous mythology. Even LOST, one of TV's best shows for 5 seasons, couldn't find a way to end it's increasingly convoluted plotlines gracefully. Procedurals, of course, are open-ended by their very nature. And they don't interest me in the slightest.
Edited by archiguy - 9/13/13 at 8:15am
post #1204 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Other than in rare cases I think this desire to end things is silly. It's like saying you'll eat ice cream for two months and then quit.

I like ice cream. But if I eat the same flavor every day for two months, I'm going to be sick of it. After two months, I'm going to want to switch to a different flavor. Doesn't mean I hate ice cream, just means I'm moving on from the flavor of the week.

I like to read books. Every book I've ever read has a beginning, middle, and end. Even if the books are part of a series, each individual book has a beginning, a middle, and an end.
post #1205 of 1342
Ice cream and open-ended dramas aside...

The problem with Under the Dome is... it began as a "based on the book" premise... and with that premise, Mr King's book did end... I know that because books are a finite length smile.gif So... if they wanted an open-ended series, they should have just taken some ideas and not started this as an adaptation of his book. Then if it grows and meanders that might be fine.

I would rather have a closed-end proper adaptation than a meandering mess that something like this could become fairly quickly.

Think Salem's Lot... that was a book... what if instead of adaptations of that story, they decided to make a multi-year series... that just wouldn't work given the nature of that story. Salem's lot had vampires and this has a dome... but similar concepts abound, where you have a town besieged somehow in a way that results in true nature of many "good" townsfolk coming to light and causing problems. Needful Things was kind of the same story as well... in fact, Under the Dome is traditional King in that regard... where in many ways the danger is coming from the "secrets" of the people in the small town moreso than whatever danger has them huddled together in the first place. He hits this theme a lot in his stories... and that's why they have to end... you can't leave that concept open-ended because you run out of townsfolk.
post #1206 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

On another forum my wife read the show was a hit, at least at the beginning of the season, because it was announced the show would go only 13 episodes. And that was a plus for me. And then when the program became a big hit the producers or whoever decided to extend it. Unfortunately that negated the reason the program became a hit in the first place.

That is not exactly correct. Then never said this was a 13 run series and then it would be over. They have said from the beginning that it was a 13 run episode and if it performed well it would come back. They were clear about this and never advertised it or said this is a iimited run, one season, 13 episodes.
post #1207 of 1342
To be fair, the fine folks that did not read the book have apparently been captivated by the show as it is .. the problem for many of us that have read the book is the complete re-write / fully diluted / soap opera like melodrama that continues to unfold with little in common with the book .. on the flipside though, CBS apparently made a good choice, business wise ..

Had a more true adaptation been attempted (within, of course, the limits of network TV) .. I don't think I'd care if it was a multi year series .. after all, Kings book is huge, very nuanced and could provide an easy several seasons .. even with that said, though, I know without a doubt if this had been done on HBO / Showtime .. even AMC or FX, we would have had something much darker and captivating ..

As it is now, though, it could end tomorrow and I would not miss it ..
post #1208 of 1342
I like ice cream too.
post #1209 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

The problem with Under the Dome is... it began as a "based on the book" premise... and with that premise, Mr King's book did end... I know that because books are a finite length smile.gif So... if they wanted an open-ended series, they should have just taken some ideas and not started this as an adaptation of his book. Then if it grows and meanders that might be fine.


Being based on a book is virtually irrelevant with based on only having any importance. If the show had to exist within the confines of the book there is no reason for it to exist... simply read the book.
 

Quote:
I would rather have a closed-end proper adaptation than a meandering mess that something like this could become fairly quickly.

 

The premise (dome?) is no more confining than any other premise story wise. How many shows evolve around x location(s) and characters. The list is endless. Heck many never go beyond one or more rooms. In the end the quality of the show (judged differently by different people largely based on their preferences) isn't based on how many episodes, whether it follows a book or not, rather if their storytelling is compelling to you.


I think it makes no sense to suggest it would be better because of this or that. They created what they wanted to create and the overriding theme (or production) wouldn't dramatically change if it was shorter. Heck they would have just thrown in the stuff you didn't enjoy quicker. :) If you wished it went another way more than likely someone else is glad it didn't. 

My take is the show is watchable. That is if you are rather unfortunate to find your DVR empty.

post #1210 of 1342

Yeah I missed the end. Didn't even think about CBS.com

Don't forget college football could push it back again if they slide everything with what should be one of the best college football games this year Texas A&M and Alabama play at 3:30.
post #1211 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

On another forum my wife read the show was a hit, at least at the beginning of the season, because it was announced the show would go only 13 episodes. And that was a plus for me. And then when the program became a big hit the producers or whoever decided to extend it. Unfortunately that negated the reason the program became a hit in the first place.

That is not exactly correct. Then never said this was a 13 run series and then it would be over. They have said from the beginning that it was a 13 run episode and if it performed well it would come back. They were clear about this and never advertised it or said this is a iimited run, one season, 13 episodes.

+1 That certainly is how I remember it. They said it was a thirteen episode run, which would be extended to another season if the ratings warranted it. They always said it could be extended to additional seasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

To be fair, the fine folks that did not read the book have apparently been captivated by the show as it is .. the problem for many of us that have read the book is the complete re-write / fully diluted / soap opera like melodrama that continues to unfold with little in common with the book .. on the flipside though, CBS apparently made a good choice, business wise ..

Had a more true adaptation been attempted (within, of course, the limits of network TV) .. I don't think I'd care if it was a multi year series .. after all, Kings book is huge, very nuanced and could provide an easy several seasons .. even with that said, though, I know without a doubt if this had been done on HBO / Showtime .. even AMC or FX, we would have had something much darker and captivating ..

As it is now, though, it could end tomorrow and I would not miss it ..

Many of the later Bond films only had the title and names of characters in common with the books. Most of us who had read the books, then watch the movies were not totally incensed by this.
post #1212 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post


Many of the later Bond films only had the title and names of characters in common with the books. Most of us who had read the books, then watch the movies were not totally incensed by this.

As a Fan of Fleming as well as the films since the 1960's, I am insulted that a comparison would be made on a Dome thread .. wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif
post #1213 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

This could have been a new kind of television from the broadcast dinosaurs - the closed-ended midi-series, that would add to the variety of the TV landscape.

CBS realised that people would complain about the abysmal quality of the soundtrack, so they decided to make something more friendly to people's surround-sound systems. biggrin.gif
post #1214 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

As a Fan of Fleming as well as the films since the 1960's, I am insulted that a comparison would be made on a Dome thread .. wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

It came off as more of a contrast than a comparison, as he implies that we can love the Bond films equally with the Bond books, yet Dome book fans are having trouble with the show.

I love the Bond books, and would like to see some of the newer Craig (or whoever replaces Craig after Bond 25) films re-imagine the source material from the books. After seeing Casino Royale on the big screen, I would love to see the original Moonraker faithfully adapted, if only for the Bridge game. Casino Royale showed that a card game can be adapted to the screen with cinematic tension.
post #1215 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

It came off as more of a contrast than a comparison, as he implies that we can love the Bond films equally with the Bond books, yet Dome book fans are having trouble with the show.

I love the Bond books, and would like to see some of the newer Craig (or whoever replaces Craig after Bond 25) films re-imagine the source material from the books. After seeing Casino Royale on the big screen, I would love to see the original Moonraker faithfully adapted, if only for the Bridge game. Casino Royale showed that a card game can be adapted to the screen with cinematic tension.

I've read most all of Flemings material as well as all of Kings .. while I fully agree that Bond films have taken license to veer off .. there is a difference with The Dome script vs the book .. that is much more than veering .. it's more like a complete right turn .. some of which can be attributed to what can and can't be shown on Network, sure .. however, IMO and maybe my opinion alone, this is the worst adaptation of a King book I've ever seen .. and there have been some stinkers over the years ..

My post you quoted was really more of a joke post ..

The '79 Moonraker film VS the Fleming book is a good example of a novel that was so different from the film .. if they did a faithful adaptation, it would not even need to be considered a re-make .. eek.gif
post #1216 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

IMO and maybe my opinion alone, this is the worst adaptation of a King book I've ever seen .. and there have been some stinkers over the years ..

Oh, you're not alone. Maybe someday we'll hear King's candid opinion. WTH, he's got enough money. tongue.gif
post #1217 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

That is not exactly correct. Then never said this was a 13 run series and then it would be over. They have said from the beginning that it was a 13 run episode and if it performed well it would come back. They were clear about this and never advertised it or said this is a iimited run, one season, 13 episodes.

I'll stand corrected, but I read about this in TV Guide & don't recall anything stating that it might be extended.
post #1218 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Being based on a book is virtually irrelevant with based on only having any importance. If the show had to exist within the confines of the book there is no reason for it to exist... simply read the book.

That logic, however, leads to the question... why make any movie or tv show then? I mean, everything starts out as writing... so we don't need any movies then?

To my mind... we either should get faithful adaptations OR just make up your own thing. I don't really think we need "based on..." stories where it is barely based on the book at all. Such things can be good, but they unintentionally box themselves in with the expectations.

Hollywood is littered with poor productions that were "based on" a book but basically only took the name and some basic elements... and then bore little resemblance to the book. I think such ventures would have more success if they just came clean and said they weren't going to really adapt a thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

The premise (dome?) is no more confining than any other premise story wise.

Sure it is... and by design. You're right that in many shows we don't see the whole world... just a small part of it... but the premise of Under the Dome has limited the size of the "world"... Examples of the limitation are, realistically they can't keep bringing in new characters week after week and plausibly explain why we haven't seen that character before. They also have some finite resources to contend with... for good or for ill, this show is more limited than others with a similar premise BUT set in a larger world.
post #1219 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

I'll stand corrected, but I read about this in TV Guide & don't recall anything stating that it might be extended.

It was announced in July the show was renewed for a 2nd season. Apparently it will be new material and Stephen King will write the 1st episode.

'Under the Dome' Renewed by CBS for Second Season


It's been a decent show for summer TV, but I found the writing/execution to be generally lacking and at times downright annoying.
Edited by blackcat6 - 9/14/13 at 2:53am
post #1220 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Hollywood is littered with poor productions that were "based on" a book but basically only took the name and some basic elements... and then bore little resemblance to the book. I think such ventures would have more success if they just came clean and said they weren't going to really adapt a thing.

You should assume that when the creators of a show say that it is "based on" a book, they really mean that it was "inspired by" a book. It just sounds nicer to say it the first way, even if they don't really mean it. I'm not sure why people bother getting upset that Under the Dome isn't a faithful adaptation of the book, as TV shows rarely are.
post #1221 of 1342
"Adaptation", "based on", "inspired by", "open end", not my biggest issue here.

The big problem with this show is the bad writing.
If it was well written, there are countless ways it could continue for many seasons, without losing any quality.
post #1222 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33idolfinder View Post

"Adaptation", "based on", "inspired by", "open end", not my biggest issue here.

The big problem with this show is the bad writing.
If it was well written, there are countless ways it could continue for many seasons, without losing any quality.

and the acting's not exactly the greatest either
post #1223 of 1342
is the season finale tonite?
post #1224 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by rviele View Post

is the season finale tonite?

Yes, it's tonight. I believe the name of the episode is "Curtains".
post #1225 of 1342
Yep, "Curtains" it is.

OK, tonight we find out who the monarch is, as that really hasn't been answered yet.

Big Jim won't die.

Barbie won't die.

The dome stays.

Why are those my guesses? There needs to be a cliffhanger for the next season. The dome goes, the series is done. The conflict between Big Jim and Barbie has to at least start off the season.
post #1226 of 1342
Wow, no comments about the season ending cliffhanger episode.

I wasn't expecting Julia to be the monarch. The hangman's noose? I guess it kinda has turned into the wild-wild-west.

The special effects people were not paying attention. All along it has been "the pink stars are falling." Yet, the pink stars were defying gravity and going up, not down.

The dome has now been configured to let light though, but it is opaque, so you can't really see in or out. At least that is how the dome looked to me at the end.

I wonder how many viewers are going to return next summer. While I liked watching the show, I do not expect it to go past the 2nd season.
post #1227 of 1342
"On July 29, 2013, CBS renewed Under the Dome for a 13-episode second season to air in the summer of 2014, with Stephen King writing the premiere episode."

The only reason I will come back. Maybe only for one episode! biggrin.gif
post #1228 of 1342
Based on what Nori's alien mom told her, I'm betting on some sort of apocalypse or nuclear war that will happen. For some reason this one town is chosen to be saved.
post #1229 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33idolfinder View Post

"On July 29, 2013, CBS renewed Under the Dome for a 13-episode second season to air in the summer of 2014, with Stephen King writing the premiere episode."

The only reason I will come back. Maybe only for one episode! biggrin.gif

Glad to hear it!
post #1230 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

Wow, no comments about the season ending cliffhanger episode.

I wasn't expecting Julia to be the monarch. The hangman's noose? I guess it kinda has turned into the wild-wild-west.

The special effects people were not paying attention. All along it has been "the pink stars are falling." Yet, the pink stars were defying gravity and going up, not down.

The dome has now been configured to let light though, but it is opaque, so you can't really see in or out. At least that is how the dome looked to me at the end.

I wonder how many viewers are going to return next summer. While I liked watching the show, I do not expect it to go past the 2nd season.
I was surprised by the hangman's noose, but not by Julia. She has orange hair and the butterfly has orange wings. Who better to be the Monarch? Also, what was the deal with the wall clock? The hour hand was within a minute or two of 12, but the minute hand was exactly halfway between 4 and 5. Shouldn't it have been much closer to 5?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'Under the Dome' on CBS HD