or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'Under the Dome' on CBS HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'Under the Dome' on CBS HD - Page 20

post #571 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Pretty much everything is different from the book except the characters' names. After watching this week's episode last night, the only thing my wife (who also read the book) and I agreed was consistent with the novel was the Prius Julia is driving.
+1
My wife started reading the (epub) book Tuesday night.
By last night she told me there are vast differences between the book and the TV series (up to episode 4) and she's probably only 100+ pages in to the book.
post #572 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Disagree completely. A LOT is the same, and some is the same but tweaked for a Television drama. Sure they aren't going to follow it exactly as that would make for an INCREDIBLY boring show as the book does would not translate well to a TV show where the audience is older, and probably never read his book (shocking, not everyone who watches these shows based on books actually read the book, most come in looking for a new drama/show).

Have you actually read the book? Believe me, the list Uncle Willie provided is just the tip of the divergent iceberg. There was no meningitis incident for one more...

I say again - if they had just followed the book they would have had a far more entertaining show, but it could not have run for multiple seasons. I suspect that's why they've ret-conned nearly everything except the title. To me, that's a shame. Since every King book is eventually turned into a filmed piece for either the large or small screen, while I was reading I kept imagining how the movie (I had actually hoped for a midi-series, so at least there's that) could be made and what various scenes would look like, even who might have been cast. What I imagined is a lot more interesting that what we've gotten so far.
post #573 of 1342
That list should probably be in a spoiler tag. It's possible that at least one thing in it may yet be revealed on the show.
post #574 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

That list should probably be in a spoiler tag. It's possible that at least one thing in it may yet be revealed on the show.

Nothing I covered in that list that has not already been covered on the show itself ..
post #575 of 1342
@ mgkdragn
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The show has yet to reveal why James acts like a freak. Your list mentions that it's due a brain tumor in the book, but that could still be a surprise for people, assuming the show gives the same explanation. I find it hard to believe that they could explain away his craziness with something else.
post #576 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

@ mgkdragn
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The show has yet to reveal why James acts like a freak. Your list mentions that it's due a brain tumor in the book, but that could still be a surprise for people, assuming the show gives the same explanation. I find it hard to believe that they could explain away his craziness with something else.
Of course they can, it's TV!!! biggrin.gif
post #577 of 1342
I saw a few copies (paperback) of the book in the local supermarket today ... there's no way I'm going to be tackling that beast in the foreseeable future.
post #578 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Have you actually read the book? Believe me, the list Uncle Willie provided is just the tip of the divergent iceberg. There was no meningitis incident for one more...

I say again - if they had just followed the book they would have had a far more entertaining show, but it could not have run for multiple seasons. I suspect that's why they've ret-conned nearly everything except the title. To me, that's a shame. Since every King book is eventually turned into a filmed piece for either the large or small screen, while I was reading I kept imagining how the movie (I had actually hoped for a midi-series, so at least there's that) could be made and what various scenes would look like, even who might have been cast. What I imagined is a lot more interesting that what we've gotten so far.

+1
As I've said, I was hoping the TV show would bring alive the characters and events I read in the book. I purposely read the book solely for that reason and choked down all 1000+ pages before the first episode aired. It seemed like a thousand pages but I read it on my iPad in its Kindle app and all Kindle gives is a progress bar that never seemed to move even though I was doing marathon reading. So my theory is that the writers and producers determined a faithful rendition of the book would be too costly or difficult to produce. They opted for a screenplay that fit budgets and lazy writing. And what we got was not the book. I still think the TV show should have been titled something else with acknowledgement that it was (loosely) based on or adapted from King's book.
post #579 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Have you actually read the book? Believe me, the list Uncle Willie provided is just the tip of the divergent iceberg. There was no meningitis incident for one more...

I say again - if they had just followed the book they would have had a far more entertaining show, but it could not have run for multiple seasons. I suspect that's why they've ret-conned nearly everything except the title. To me, that's a shame. Since every King book is eventually turned into a filmed piece for either the large or small screen, while I was reading I kept imagining how the movie (I had actually hoped for a midi-series, so at least there's that) could be made and what various scenes would look like, even who might have been cast. What I imagined is a lot more interesting that what we've gotten so far.

Yes, and if they followed the book it would of been VERY boring TV after the first couple episodes.

I know they made changes I am noy denying that, but to say the only thing that is the same is the type of car is ridiculous. There are many similarities that are not mentioned in that list. Sure there are many things different as show in the that comparison list but there is also another list that is similiar.
post #580 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

a few Book vs TV comparisons ..

In the Book .. Barbie lived in Chester's Mill before Dome Day.

In the Show .. He is shown burying someone, and doesn't know anyone in town.

Book .. The local paper is called the Democrat.

Show .. It is named the Independent.

Book .. Big Jim is Chester's Mill's Second Selectman.

Show .. He is a councilman.

Book .. Linda Everett is a part time cop, married mother of two.

Show .. She is a full time cop with no kids who is engaged.

Book .. Junior Rennie has a brain tumor that caused him to be a sociopath.

Show .. He is very jealous.

Book .. No Lesbian Couple with Daughter

Show .. There is a lesbian couple featured who have a daughter.

Book .. There is an earthquake and strong winds prior to the dome forming.

Show .. The Dome suddenly appears but is invisible and no one notices it until they start crashing into it.

Book ..The local radio station is WCIK and plays Christian music.

Show .. It is a rock station named WYBS.

there are many more ..

The show hasn't told us yet what is wrong with Junior. We are only a couple episodes in, they may not reveal what is causing him to be like this for a long time. Nor do they need to right away.
post #581 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Yes, and if they followed the book it would of been VERY boring TV after the first couple episodes.

I know they made changes I am noy denying that, but to say the only thing that is the same is the type of car is ridiculous. There are many similarities that are not mentioned in that list. Sure there are many things different as show in the that comparison list but there is also another list that is similiar.

Your definition of "boring" and Uncle Willie's, ridgefamus, and my wife and me are clearly not the same. As to differences and similarities between the book and show, the respective lengths of those two lists would be very different indeed. Again, outside of the title, the fact that there's a dome (with different properties), and the names of the characters and cars they drive, virtually nothing is the same. You can continue to disagree all you want, but those of us who actually read the book know thereof we speak.

Whatever. It is what it is - summertime viewing fluff. It won't remind anyone of good sci-fi, horror, or even great TV. And yes, before you say it, I will continue to watch - because it's summertime and there's little else on. Besides, I have a morbid curiosity of how they're going to end it without really ending it.
post #582 of 1342
Well, if I spoiled anyones day by revealing that Junior had a brain tumor in the book and is just an extremely jealous boyfriend in the show, my apology .. when I posted that list, my criteria was what has happened in the show so far that was different in the book and JR's brain tumor was an early book reveal ..

At any rate, I'm leaning toward believing that the show plot will not incorporate the tumor at this point ..

The list could have been substantially longer and we're into what .. ?? 3 or 4 episodes out of 13 .. ?? If the first few episodes set up the entire rest of the season, then I doubt we'll have any major shift back to book authenticity ..

KIng has admitted to the script being a substantial rewrite of the book

I'm going to stick with it till the end .. but if I had a wish, it would be that the show would have been done "darker" .. which is at least in the spirit of the book, which was very dark ..
post #583 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Well, if I spoiled anyone's day by revealing that Junior had a brain tumor in the book and is just an extremely jealous boyfriend in the show, my apology .. when I posted that list, my criteria was what has happened in the show so far that was different in the book and JR's brain tumor was an early book reveal ..

At any rate, I'm leaning toward believing that the show plot will not incorporate the tumor at this point ..
Having a brain tumor doesn't make you act the way JR acts- in the TV show it seems like he's got psychological problems not a physical problem.
I don't think you spoiled anything....

I actually went ahead and read the wiki that's based on the book- I'll be disappointed if the series doesn't end in the same way.... guess I'll have to wait and see.
post #584 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Having a brain tumor doesn't make you act the way JR acts- in the TV show it seems like he's got psychological problems not a physical problem.
I don't think you spoiled anything....

I actually went ahead and read the wiki that's based on the book- I'll be disappointed if the series doesn't end in the same way.... guess I'll have to wait and see.

That's exactly what I thought .. his relationship with Big Jim and the fact that JR seems somewhat schizo ..

The book I believe even before the dome came down had JR with severe migraines and on a prescription .. we see none of that on the show .. as well, JR on the show is a lightweight compared to what he was doing in the book at this point in the story .. I'll bite my tongue at this point, even though I don't think what I could add would be a spoiler of any sort .. wink.gif
post #585 of 1342
Me personally I don't mind the little bits of info regarding the characters. Gives me a bit more insight into them. Too late to read the book now and I have read a lot of Stephen King. For me the first book was "IT". I was so disappointed with the TV adaptation. I was also not too happy with "The Stand". To really understand his stories they must be read. TV does not do them justice. I will say it and it's a bit off topic but what's wrong with Roland and "The Gunslinger" movie? If it ever happens they better not screw it up! Some of his best writing.
post #586 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Yes, and if they followed the book it would of been VERY boring TV after the first couple episodes.

I know they made changes I am noy denying that, but to say the only thing that is the same is the type of car is ridiculous. There are many similarities that are not mentioned in that list. Sure there are many things different as show in the that comparison list but there is also another list that is similiar.

I have to tell you that if they had followed the book more closely, the show would not have been on CBS .. and it would have been simply riveting television .. AMC / FX / HBO / etc could likely have done a good job with it .. and I know CBS had to water it down to what seems more like a drama to me so far, not horror ..

CBS billed the show as horror, yet as I mentioned earlier, the show is lightweight compared to the book and so far I see absolutely no horror ..

And sure, there are book / TV show similiarities ..

However, the main protagonist, Big Jim, is not even close to the book version .. in the show, we have a guy that tries to be upright, well intentioned and seems to want to do the right thing .. and Dean Norris is generally a likeable actor .. in the book, we have Big Jim, the Big Bad .. a Bible verse spouting hypocrite and used car salesman that's a power hungry snake ..

And Junior .. ?? If he had been portrayed in the 1st few show episodes as he was in the book, and not the basically good kid with some mental issues we see in the show .. well, if you've read the book, you know what I'm saying .. the first 100 or so pages of the book are absolutely filled with murder, mayhem and death ..
post #587 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Your definition of "boring" and Uncle Willie's, ridgefamus, and my wife and me are clearly not the same. As to differences and similarities between the book and show, the respective lengths of those two lists would be very different indeed. Again, outside of the title, the fact that there's a dome (with different properties), and the names of the characters and cars they drive, virtually nothing is the same. You can continue to disagree all you want, but those of us who actually read the book know thereof we speak.

Whatever. It is what it is - summertime viewing fluff. It won't remind anyone of good sci-fi, horror, or even great TV. And yes, before you say it, I will continue to watch - because it's summertime and there's little else on. Besides, I have a morbid curiosity of how they're going to end it without really ending it.

You guys seem to think the show is completely different because of the smallest things, like the radio station name is different. For me, that is pointless and has ZERO impact on the show. There is absolutely no benefit, increased enjoyment, adds to the plot, etc. because the radio station name is different. The similarities is that they have a radio station in both. What impact does it have that they changed the call letters?

Selectman was changed for TV because of people's unfamilarity with that term/position, but it is essentially the same thing, thus some similarities there.

It is also pointed out that the paper name is different. SHOCKING!!! The similarities is that they both have a paper and the reporter, etc. Changing the name of the paper doesn't add or change anyting in the book or the show.

The similarities are they have a radio station, they have the paper, they have the investigative reporter, Barbie's military background, the one councilman left, the sheriff dying and being replaced, the appointment of the son to the sherrif's department, the crazy behaviour of the son, the drugs, the propane, the estabmishmnet that things are passing through the dome, just miniscule, the plane smashing into it, the truck smashing into it, based on the preview and the brief scene in it something else happens monday the same way. And many many others but don't want to get in troubl for spoilers from the book.

I told you I read the book, trying to claim again I have not is childish. My wife read it too and she commented that the show is miles better then the book.
post #588 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Having a brain tumor doesn't make you act the way JR acts-

We can safely rule out "acting lessons" as the cause as well.wink.gif
post #589 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

the show is miles better then the book.

Because you don't have to read (plod through) it.

I really cannot believe that what you are seeing on your screen is what you experienced in the book. If you divorce the two you might be able to enjoy (or hate) both or one or the other. But to say there are not severe differences from the book is absurd. King acknowledged as much in his apology to his readers.
post #590 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post


.. the first 100 or so pages of the book are absolutely filled with murder, mayhem and death ..

Sounds like fun. smile.gif
post #591 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgefamus View Post

King acknowledged as much in his apology to his readers.

he apologized? for the differences from his book or the quality of the show? wink.gif
post #592 of 1342
I know we all have different views and that's what makes the World go round .. however, IMO, the book is miles and miles ahead of the show if you want horror
post #593 of 1342
What I find interesting is that this thread mostly consists of people finding faults with the show (of which there are many), how far it deviates from the book, etc., and there is really very little discussion on plot/character development or any the other discussions that makes participating in these forums so enjoyable. As someone else stated previously, this thread is much more entertaining than the tv series. However, I'll probably stick with the series (kinda like the fascination that one has when witnessing an accident) as background noise while I'm reading my book. Besides, it's kinda fun figuring out what's going to happen next before it does because the plot is so predictable and the acting so wooden.
post #594 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I know we all have different views and that's what makes the World go round .. however, IMO, the book is miles and miles ahead of the show if you want horror
Agreed!
post #595 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

What I find interesting is that this thread mostly consists of people finding faults with the show (of which there are many), how far it deviates from the book, etc., and there is really very little discussion on plot/character development or any the other discussions that makes participating in these forums so enjoyable. As someone else stated previously, this thread is much more entertaining than the tv series. However, I'll probably stick with the series (kinda like the fascination that one has when witnessing an accident) as background noise while I'm reading my book. Besides, it's kinda fun figuring out what's going to happen next before it does because the plot is so predictable and the acting so wooden.

I absolutely agree with you. This thread is about the TV version. And I'm watching it knowing that's it's an entirely different work with its own appeal. Just - please - don't try to argue that the show is any way similar to the book. Trust me, it's not. They've ret-conned nearly everything, supposedly with King's blessing.

The book is a great read - granted, it's very long, lots o' words, maybe too many. It's Stephen King, right? (see also: Tom Clancy) It took me, honestly, the better part of a year to read it (just a few pages at a time with the occasional binge of 30 or 40 pages when the time allowed). Someone more disciplined (or more invested) could do it faster, of course.

Plus, I read fiction and non-fiction differently. I want to savor every word of a well-written novel because that's where the genius is. Newspapers, magazines, web articles - I read those differently, and much faster, using the "skim" method of speed-reading (whole sentences and even short paragraphs with a single glance). With all I have to keep up with professionally, it's the only way.
post #596 of 1342
For those that did make the commitment at some point to read the book (and it is a commitment) .. I think it's hard to not compare the book / show ..

I honestly hope some of my posts did not imply that I am against the show .. and I have come to grips with the substantial variations .. I was expecting something on TV that held closer to the book, that's it ..

I'm in for the show till the end of this season and if it does get renewed, we'll see if I continue at that point ..

Taken in just the context of the show, with no prior book reading, I probably would like the show better .. so far, to me, it's a passable piece of Summer drama, nothing more, nothing less ..
post #597 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Taken in just the context of the show, with no prior book reading, I probably would like the show better .. so far, to me, it's a passable piece of Summer drama, nothing more, nothing less ..

I agree that the TV version of Under the Dome is decidedly mediocre. As It has been two-and-a-half years since I read the book, I can't remember enough of its details to try to compare the TV show to it. I do recall, though, that I thoroughly enjoyed the book and had far fewer reservations about it than I am having about the TV show.
post #598 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

he apologized? for the differences from his book or the quality of the show? wink.gif

Perhaps I should have put "apologized" in quotes. It sure sounded in his letter that he was trying to soothe potential reader backlash for the TV "adaptation's" lack of adherence to the book. YMMV
post #599 of 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgefamus View Post

Because you don't have to read (plod through) it.

I really cannot believe that what you are seeing on your screen is what you experienced in the book. If you divorce the two you might be able to enjoy (or hate) both or one or the other. But to say there are not severe differences from the book is absurd. King acknowledged as much in his apology to his readers.

No, I said there are differences, a lot, I was commenting when someone said there was absolutely no similarities except for the car they were driving. There are a lot of similarities, and a LOT of differences.
post #600 of 1342
Based on last week's preview, I expect tonight's episode will be chock full of melodrama. The apparent purpose of having "visitor's day" at the dome is to let the dome dwellers say their farewells to loved ones who are outside, because the military intends to nuke the dome.

It doesn't seem like this could possibly have much payoff for the audience, because whether you've read the book or not, you know that the military's plan can't possibly work, because then the show would be over. The dome is indestructable, so we're just going to watch people weeping and wailing for forty minutes, after which there will be a huge explosion, followed by shock and despair that the dome remains unharmed after the attack (unless it gets dragged out into two episodes, in which case the weeping and wailing will probably happen next week, with this week focusing on general panic).

If this is the case, then probably the only interesting event this week will be finding out whether Big Jim is going to free Angie or keep her locked up to save face. The latter seems more likely.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'Under the Dome' on CBS HD